• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Too bad it was not a complete story. Hopefully there is a second season along the road, but again, I am waiting for my 2nd season of Skip Beat! damn it!

Highly doubtful for a second season ;_;

It’s time to do some spring cleaning of this outrageous backlog. I started these shows months ago but they stand at the midpoint between decent and boring. Now I’m abiding by the 3-episode rule or giving them one more chance to see if any of them are worth investing time into.

Planetes 4

I can understand the love for this show, but man does Hachimaki have the biggest stick up his ass. Even when he does something worth rooting for, he still does it in the most obnoxious way possible so that your opinion of him doesn’t change by the end of an episode. I will give it one more episode.

Stratos 4 2-3

lol. So that’s what it sounds when Japanese voice actors try to do American accents. Had to replay that part a few times to make sure I heard right. Uh, I’m sure that was convincing enough for everyone who is not American. I remember picking this up from a GAF recommendation on shows that were somewhat similar to Planetes. It did come with the disclaimer that it was moe. There's also some classy (read: fanservice) shots like this one and this one.

I gotta drop it.

Planetes is a show with strong character development. Stick with it and I think you will like Hachimaki a lot better by the end. Thats kind of the point regarding his character.

Also glad you gave Stratos 4 a try and aknowledged its existence! A guilty pleasure of mine to be sure. I love the OP to that show. Sung by the dearly departed Ristuko Okazaki and Melocure :(

ZetaEpyon

Fate/Zero 3
Saber is seriously the only character I enjoy watching. Everyone just seems uninteresting right now. Most of all that Waver kid is a clown and comes off more as some Harry Potter side-villain reject from the house of Slytherin than a character that truly belongs on this show.

Wow, isn't the general consensus that Saber is one of the least interesting characters in the show? Certainly, she's probably more likable, but I find many of the others to be more interesting.

faridmon

It's probably not going to happen. Chihayafuru bombed hard.

Thankfully there's still the manga. I'll need to check it eventually.

Screw Anime fans! How I loath thee! :(

I might buy the manga, but I really hate Mangas who are +25 volumes. 20th Century boys is already too much for me.

Kids On The Slope 3

Loved it. Pacing is going rather quickly all of a sudden, but they're doing a great job with the material and I guess they have a lot of ground to cover just by looking at how many volumes of the manga there are. The only part I was a little bewildered with initially, though I sorted it out when I thought about it a bit longer, was
the very brief scene where Kaoru stumbles in on Sentaro modeling for Yurika
. I think I'm going to read it just to find out what happens inbetween what they're showing. With the events of this episode, the remaining eight or nine episodes suddenly seem vast and rife with potential.

One thing I liked about this episode -- and I guess the storytelling in general -- is that
there's this love quadrangle going on but the story doesn't frustrate you by dangling it in front of your face. Some series with romance get absolutely ridiculous with the misunderstandings and the drama and all of that and it makes you want to tear your hair out because it's just wasting time. Here, things are already moving, and I guess that's thanks to Kaoru, who I gained a lot more respect for with this episode. He's sort of got a privileged seat information-wise but he's also a nuanced, self-assured character; by the end of the episode, I really admired his straightforward confession, as well as his understanding and acceptance of the reality of his romantic situation. His confidence cut out a whole ton of possible teeth-grinding and eye-rolling.

Also, I was grinning ear-to-ear during
Sentaro asking Yurika out (except not! hohoho) and their make-up jazz session, which had me bobbing my head and tapping my toes.
Listening to the background music, too, I guess there are a bunch of tracks which aren't on the recently released soundtrack -- which I guess is what this is for.

Fate/Zero 3

*first half*

Yup, gonna drop this.

*Saber shows up*

Well, I’ll give it one more episode.

*thinks about it*

Nah, I’m just going to drop it for now and if anything, put it on hold, watch the Fate/stay night dub and then maybe return to F/Z when the show itself gets dubbed because the Japanese VAs are doing nothing for me. I feel like I’m still getting thrown some bloat in the writing department. Saber is seriously the only character I enjoy watching. Everyone just seems uninteresting right now. Most of all that Waver kid is a clown and comes off more as some Harry Potter side-villain reject from the house of Slytherin than a character that truly belongs on this show.

So much wrong in one impression.

Fate/Zero 3

Nah, I’m just going to drop it for now and if anything, put it on hold, watch the Fate/stay night dub and then maybe return to F/Z when the show itself gets dubbed because the Japanese VAs are doing nothing for me. I feel like I’m still getting thrown some bloat in the writing department. Saber is seriously the only character I enjoy watching. Everyone just seems uninteresting right now. Most of all that Waver kid is a clown and comes off more as some Harry Potter side-villain reject from the house of Slytherin than a character that truly belongs on this show.

Poor Waver. He seemed the most easy to relate to in the show and was a favorite for that regard, as well as Ryuunosuke, who unfortunately was behind the scenes for a large part of the anime. Apart from having a sword, Saber is kind of dull.

Ultimadrago

Kids on the Slope 3

N0z3C.jpg

"Narf!"

The ask-out
was lulz for my day!

Them bus wheels!

Also delicious
NTR and confession
!

I'm not crowning it best of the season yet, but I will be here for more of this.

Also, more happens in one episode of Kids on the Slope than 50 episodes of K-On!(!)

Makoto

Wise choice. If you feel like it, you should watch episodes 20 (for the goodness) and 24 (for some closure).
I'm going to read on the wiki for those episodes you listed. But I have to admit, the episode count is another reason I dropped it. For such a simple premise, I don't think it could have held my attention for 24 episodes. I also read some reviews so I know now that it's not so much about the characters as it is about the themes explored but if I don't care about the characters, then I can't see any reason to invest time into it, personally. Had Mawaru Penguindrum been 12 episodes, I'd probably be able to finish it.

Planetes is a show with strong character development. Stick with it and I think you will like Hachimaki a lot better by the end. Thats kind of the point regarding his character.
Yeah, it's a good thing I stuck around for episode 4 since
Hachimaki will now stop calling addressing Tanabe as rookie from now on.

And whoa at the F/Z replies. I guess the show just isn't for me if it turns out Saber is one of the least interesting characters. Edit: I mean, the whole King Arthur background got me curious about her as opposed to Rider's, "Get laid and fight the hordes cuz I'm a manly man" schtick.

cajunator

Banned
I'm going to read on the wiki for those episodes you listed. But I have to admit, the episode count is another reason I dropped it. For such a simple premise, I don't think it could have held my attention for 24 episodes. I also read some reviews so I know now that it's not so much about the characters as it is about the themes explored but if I don't care about the characters, then I can't see any reason to invest time into it, personally. Had Mawaru Penguindrum been 12 episodes, I'd probably be able to finish it.

Yeah, it's a good thing I stuck around for episode 4 since
Hachimaki will now stop calling addressing Tanabe as rookie from now on.

And whoa at the F/Z replies. I guess the show just isn't for me if it turns out Saber is one of the least interesting characters.

Saber seems as though she will get better pretty soon, but for now Rider is THE FUCKING BOSS.

And Saber is still one of my favorites from the Fate universe.

Geneijin

Well, I see that my opinion was not a popular one so I'll let that slide
especially now that I haven't finished it yet

However, I did finish Chihayafuru few days ago and it was fantastic. I'll probably write a lengthy impressions of both of them some other time.

You could argue the fact that more of those ladies are fawning on Kaito in some way or another.
That would lightly be a harem setting then. Not a harem per se.

faridmon

I am actually considering buying that non-existing 2nd season of Darker than Black now that is out in Eu land and it includes the awesome Gaiden OVA episode....

decisions, decision....
That would lightly be a harem setting then. Not a harem parsay.

That is a good way to put it.

Jarmel

Banned
Most of Saber's character development is in Stay Night. It's not really a surprise her position and personality is rigid.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

It really drags on. And the worst part is that most of the episodes are circular, because there's only faux-character development (until the very last episode, that is).

Take Ringo (the stalker girl you mentioned), for example. Not once, not twice, but multiple times it seems like she's learned her lesson, but in the following episodes she's always back to her shtick. It's freaking annoying.

Also, the abuse of flashbacks is really tiring.

I had a little fun with the series because I liked the main duo and the visuals, but I would never recommend it to anyone who has stuff like Planetes and Fate/Zero on their backlog. Those are worth your time.

Jarmel

Banned
It really drags on. And the worst part is that most of the episodes are circular, because there's only faux-character development (until the very last episode, that is).

Take Ringo (the stalker girl you mentioned), for example. Not once, not twice, but multiple times it seems like she's learned her lesson, but in the following episodes she's always back to her shtick. It's freaking annoying.

Also, the abuse of flashbacks is really tiring.

I had a little fun with the series because I liked the main duo and the visuals, but I would never recommend it to anyone who has stuff like Planetes and Fate/Zero on their backlog. Those are worth your time.

My issue with it is the out of left field curve-balls that feels abused in the later half. It feels like they were trying to constantly outdo themselves and they really didn't care how they did it. It lead to increasingly stupid situations that never really went anywhere.

Firemind

...eh?

What gives you that impression, given that it contradicts everything that has happened in the series so far including most of the plot of this episode?

I suppose her actions can be interpreted differently. On one occasion she sobs uncontrollably and on another occasion she gives back the handkerchief as if there's nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe she's bipolar.

Makoto

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b572/hknishino/huh_zpsa300861e.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
If it makes anyone feel better, I wanted to clear out these shows so that I could make some legitimate room to watch [B]Samurai Champloo[/B], [B]Ergo Proxy[/B], [B]The Tatami Galaxy[/B], [B]Bamboo Blade[/B] and [B]Haibane Renmai[/B].

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Um, no? She doesn't learn her lesson all at once but she does learn her lesson.

Makoto said:
If it makes anyone feel better, I wanted to clear out these shows so that I could make some legitimate room to watch Samurai Champloo, Ergo Proxy, The Tatami Galaxy, Bamboo Blade and Haibane Renmai.

trejo

What does it mean when I can agree with a number of the gripes people seem to have with Penguindrum yet I still consider it one of the best animes from the last few years?

Same goes for Meguca.

Sengoku Collection 04
EhcxB.jpg

If only Kojuuro was here.
Wow, another boring episode. This time spent in a women's prison. Nope, even that wasn't exciting. We just spend time digging and filling holes. But at least, the background was decent. And, we get a twist where Moe|Nobunaga doesn't come in and stab girl of the week!
And, we seem to have run out of noticable Sengoku generals as I don't know who's is next week's girl.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
What does it mean when I can agree with a number of the gripes people seem to have with Penguindrum yet I still consider it one of the best animes from the last few years?
It means you have good taste.

NewFresh

Same goes for Meguca.

It means you are a terrible person with terrible taste....or it just means you can enjoy things for what they are.

Ultimadrago

Sengoku Collection 04
EhcxB.jpg

If only Kojuuro was here.
Wow, another boring episode. This time spent in a women's prison. Nope, even that wasn't exciting. We just spend time digging and filling holes. But at least, the background was decent. And, we get a twist where Moe|Nobunaga doesn't come in and stab girl of the week!
And, we seem to have run out of noticable Sengoku generals as I don't know who's is next week's girl.

@BOLD: The worst part is that I know I'll still end up hating the episode!

Jarmel

Banned
I was responding to the idea of Ergo Proxy being a top quality show worth pushing others aside. By all accounts, it isn't.

I liked the initial premise then it just crashes and burns. The wasteland episodes outside of the city should have made me drop the series.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Lupin the Third - Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna 4

Damn, girl.

But what a weird episode.
How was burning her own face a "good idea"? Why did she need to burn her own face? Couldn't she just disappear without hurting herself?

Oh.
To be continued.
Ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom