• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostbyte

Naw, I like Ano Hana more as well.

I personally like Ano Hana more but Ano Natsu is a far better show, execution and character-wise. Although that's just my own preference, as I tend to hate on contrived plots and cliche tropes.

It’s time to do some spring cleaning of this outrageous backlog. I started these shows months ago but they stand at the midpoint between decent and boring. Now I’m abiding by the 3-episode rule or giving them one more chance to see if any of them are worth investing time into.

Mawaru Penguindrum 3

I can safely say I don’t care. I don’t care about the two male leads. I don’t care about their sister. I don’t care about the penguins. I sort of care about the stalker chick. And if I have to listen to that Rock N’ Roll Night song one more time I’m going to punch a fucking hole in my wall.

Drip-dropped.

I can understand people's frustrations about this show but I encourage you to finish it. It's turns out quite well.

Fate/Zero 3

*first half*

Yup, gonna drop this.

*Saber shows up*

Well, I’ll give it one more episode.

*thinks about it*

Nah, I’m just going to drop it for now and if anything, put it on hold, watch the Fate/stay night dub and then maybe return to F/Z when the show itself gets dubbed because the Japanese VAs are doing nothing for me. I feel like I’m still getting thrown some bloat in the writing department. Saber is seriously the only character I enjoy watching. Everyone just seems uninteresting right now. Most of all that Waver kid is a clown and comes off more as some Harry Potter side-villain reject from the house of Slytherin than a character that truly belongs on this show.

eh? Ditching F/Z for the inferior F/SN anime? Unless you're planning on going to the F/SN VN, I don't know why you would do that. F/Z >>>>>>>>> F/SN in terms of pretty much everything.

fNGfT.gif

NOOOOOOOOOO! Ultimadrago don't die on us now!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Tsuritama 3 - Okay this wasn't as good as the previous two episodes, but I'm loving the hell out of what they are setting up thematically, I wouldn't be surprised if it goes all :firehawk at the end of the series!

Kids on the slope 3 - INCREDIBLE episode, I think I take back what I said about the series initially, this is some really good shit :bow: watanabe :bow:

Tsuritama 03
G7P8K.gif

Still fun. I like the setting, the story, even if this was like a training episode, it was still fun. I can see some drama occurring just from Haru's line, but at the same time I do want to see where on earth will this story go.

jman2050

Sengoku Collection 4

This is like if Kill Bill were written by Charles Dickens, which is then adapted to a Disney film, the film then being adapted into a Disney TV series, and then finally that series getting adapted into an anime.

cajunator

Banned
If it makes anyone feel better, I wanted to clear out these shows so that I could make some legitimate room to watch Samurai Champloo, Ergo Proxy, The Tatami Galaxy, Bamboo Blade and Haibane Renmai.

Bamboo Blade, Tatami Galaxy, and HAIBANE RENMEI are the ones you shoud prioritize. Especially Haibane Renmei!

NewFresh

Fine. I can give Mawaru Penguindrum three more episodes but that's the best I can do. /pawnstars

Okay. But I go no higher if I don't enjoy it by then.

Don't watch it if you don't really feel compelled to. I think it's a great show and I love it, but really, forcing yourself to go through it probably won't make it more enjoyable.

Bamboo Blade, Tatami Galaxy, and HAIBANE RENMEI are the ones you shoud prioritize. Especially Haibane Renmei!

Also, that cutie cajunator speaks the truth! Listen to the man!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
EXTRA Saber is best Saber.

Speaking of, is Fate/Extra any good?

eh? Ditching F/Z for the inferior F/SN anime? Unless you're planning on going to the F/SN VN, I don't know why you would do that. F/Z >>>>>>>>> F/SN in terms of pretty much everything.

In his defense, I felt the exact same way after the first three episodes of F/Z. I had to force myself to get back into it and if it weren't for the amazing production values I likely wouldn't have.

Ultimadrago

Sengoku Collection 4

Ugh. The first time I've felt that I can relate to one of these characters (Sengoku Challenge? Prison? You get it?! Ahahaha...ha)

Okay, I'm laughing. The first inmate that meets this weeks main talks like a 90's cartoon interpretation from one of those education only videos for kids.

"It's reaaaal bad in here! You get treated mean and everything!"

Terrible.

And yet again, no one questions her initial appearance. Perhaps random cosplay is common in this world. The Yakuza aspect of it was just as embarrassingly dull.

What are drugs?

What could have made things interesting is an event where they have her try drugs for herself, upon her getting addicted and remembering home in hallucinations .

What we get?

"They are bad things that make people go crazy."

Fun!

3nLNp.jpg

At least someone got hurt out of it

Also, the vengeance attack was so lazily done, I had to chuckle. A sword attack that gives a seizure. I repeat, a sword attack that gives a seizure.

The conclusion same that I've been delivering since the pilot, folks. Number 4 can't get here late enough.

cajunator

Banned

In his defense, I felt the exact same way after the first three episodes of F/Z. I had to force myself to get back into it and if it weren't for the amazing production values I likely wouldn't have.

F/Z isnt for everybody. It is super dark. The characters are all hateful. Its a war after all.
FSN is actually more watchable to the average person I would say. Its a bit more lighthearted, since its not written by a sadist.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Sengoku Collection 4

That wasn't much better than the previous episodes in terms of direction, but at least it wasn't focused on loli idols or derpfaces, and the suffering was actual suffering.

Who would've thought
Date Masamune was so good at digging holes?

The twist - that is,
Masamune going after the yakuza boss because he let his men go to jail for him
- was actually interesting and respectful to the character. Too bad she/he seems to be the only one who'll be treated that way.

wonzo

Banned
Recorder and Ransel 17

the lack of the dumb pedo gag does help make the show somewhat more watchable but not by much.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
wait, why is this bad?
Because when you read a thread you expect conversation to be in chronological order. A quote to a post you haven't seen makes you think you've missed something. It takes MORE work than simply making a new post and takes MORE work to read. It's dumb and shouldn't be done.

Risette

A Good Citizen
What does it mean when I can agree with a number of the gripes people seem to have with Penguindrum yet I still consider it one of the best animes from the last few years?

Same goes for Meguca.
It means you haven't watched a lot of animes the past few years.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
The Servant vs Servant battles are excellent.

The dungeon crawling+battling is repetitive and grindy.

The rest of the game system is zzzzz.

EXTRA Caster > your favorite servant

Hm, I already have enough grinding games I need to play + more on the way so I should probably wait then.

I'm playing through it right now. It's okay if you're a TM fan. That's really it. It's definitely not great but it's passable.

Hate the combat system though.

What's bad about the combat system?

cajunator

Banned
Because when you read a thread you expect conversation to be in chronological order. A quote to a post you haven't seen makes you think you've missed something. It takes MORE work than simply making a new post and takes MORE work to read. It's dumb and shouldn't be done.

It aint that bad Hito. As long as the quoted post is somewhere just below. But maybe thats just my OCD kicking in.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It aint that bad Hito. As long as the quoted post is somewhere just below. But maybe thats just my OCD kicking in.
It's obnoxious. I immediately want to scroll back and recheck the thread but OH WAIT it's in a post after.

You have to hit quote anyway, why the fuck don't you just hit "submit post" instead of having to hit back on your browser then hit edit?

Reknoc

Fujiko 4

I rather enjoyed this episode, but that was largely thanks to Lupins appearance in it and it's starting to show a weakness, for me, with having it focus on Fujiko who is kind of a dull character. Though I will say that I really enjoyed
the flashback
late in the episode.

There are some pretty good ideas, but I stopped playing after I lost all my dungeon progress thanks to the luck based focus of the battle system. Though fighting the servants are fun.

wonzo

Banned
Now you can understand why everyone thinks Erika is the bestest precure.

even if other precures do end up having better transformations.

How are you enjoying HeartCatch so far?
so far it's pretty damn good but i'd be lying if i said the formulaic nature of it isn't starting to get to me but i've heard it'll start to really pickup soon so i'm definitely gonna stick with it!

Hell no! It's Hikari or bust!
but hikari already has amane. yaya just needs to do a kanna and get over it

Have they just taken a regular setting and replaced all the characters with animals? I can't tell if that's lazy or genius.
nah. it's pretty much just focusing on the animals but there are humans they interact with. it's a pretty damn good show!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine 04
Liked this episode a lot. The opera house setting just does a lot for me personally as someone who has enjoyed visiting the Civic Opera House. As such, the elaborate and ornate scenery winds up feeling more like the kind of thing that fits this shows style in addition to being a honeypot for Fujiko. Side characters still felt underdeveloped and like addons to justify this week's plot, but at least things were simple and felt like they had a history here.
Oscar surprised me. He's much more stern than I would've expected, but it helps to complete the feel that he's emulating Zenigata, and helps explain just why Oscar's so attached to him. While the action scenes here felt like some of the best the series has seen so far the resolution to this episode falls apart. The intentions of characters are largely just left in a confusing mess.
Imagery in general was pretty strong this week. Owls, owls everywhere in the littlest and biggest places. Scenes are set very well with just the stuff in the periphery, be it the styling of the opera house, the skulls woven into the furniture of the sarcophagus, or the skeleton-esque behind the scenes stuff. Sequence with the water was really cool...though it felt fairly superficial in its brevity.

cajunator

Banned
It's obnoxious. I immediately want to scroll back and recheck the thread but OH WAIT it's in a post after.

You have to hit quote anyway, why the fuck don't you just hit "submit post" instead of having to hit back on your browser then hit edit?

Because that's easier. Teacher would not approve.

Makoto

Oh yeah, absolutely. In fact, Haibane is the one I've watched the most of so far. It's been really interesting.

Don't watch it if you don't really feel compelled to. I think it's a great show and I love it, but really, forcing yourself to go through it probably won't make it more enjoyable.
Well, I do want to enjoy it. The only reason I was watching it was because it made GAF's AotY of the previous year. I don't think the constant praise over its symbolism (as opposed to its narrative) has given me much confidence though. But I can give it until episode 9. That's much more favorable than say, giving it until episode 24.

Uchip

Banned

Because the thought of being on the top posters list is terrifying!

Uchip

Banned
You're not in danger of that. Most people in this thread could triple their posting rate and still not be on top.

I dont mind
I do feel bad that hes being called out for it though
ive done it many times

then again people tend to ignore me :)

This isn't the first time I've called people out on it. It's one of my pet peeves and I chide people when I see it.

Will remember that information then :)

cajunator

Banned
Because the thought of being on the top posters list is terrifying!

It's not bad up here. You can see everything!

Oh yeah, absolutely. In fact, Haibane is the one I've watched the most of so far. It's been really interesting.

Well, I do want to enjoy it. The only reason I was watching it was because it made GAF's AotY of the previous year. I don't think the constant praise over its symbolism (as opposed to its narrative) has given me much confidence though. But I can give it until episode 9. That's much more favorable than say, giving it until episode 24.

Haibane is a special show. My favorite of all time as I've said numerous times here.
I'm not sure what it is about it but it just struck a cord with me and I really love it.

As for Penguin Drum, its a REALLY quirky show. You dont really know what to expect from it and I kind of really liked that about it.

Even disregarding its flaws, Mawaru Penguindrum is a work that takes "magical realism" to its utmost limits - a world where symbol and thing symbolized fuse into one. It's a difficult setting to be able to take on its own terms, and even though I ended up liking the show I had a lot of problems coming to terms with it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
"This isn't the first time I've called people out on it. It's one of my pet peeves and I chide people when I see it."

How do you feel about quoting using quotation marks?

Makoto

I dont mind
I do feel bad that hes being called out for it though
ive done it many times

then again people tend to ignore me :)
Same. I personally don't feel it's a big deal someone quotes a latter post and puts it in an existing post especially since we have the ability to view the origins of a post now. If there's no unrelated post between the two posts in question (like what I did), then my peripheral vision can already distinguish which post came first and which came after.

But whatevs, if it be a problem for others then I'd be more than happy to oblige.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom