• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

I watched two episodes of Code Geass a while back. Nothing really compelled me to watch more of it. :-/

Well I certainly recommend sitting down and watching a couple more episodes, but your time is your time. The more infamous material doesn't appear until later on in the show and it's pretty hard to tell someone to stick it out until it gets 'crazy'.

Of course, most of the people who watched the show up until that point were watching the show because they enjoyed the initial set of episodes, so if they're not doing anything for you it might not be worth continuing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Mirai Nikki 26

What? WHAT? I was looking forward to one scene just one flipping scene and they basically cut it out. I even made a gif weeks ago in preparation but I didn't dare post it here because it would be a spoiler. I can't even tell if posting it now would be safe because the anime didn't show the ending properly.

This is a link to the gif in question. If you have read the manga and know the true ending all will be clear. Those who haven't may come to understand what those beams of light were at the end. You may have also seen it on another anime board that doesn't really give two cahoots about spoilers already.
http://i.minus.com/ibvw1FrsmFXXCF.gif

Years of academy training wasted.

Jex

Some excerpts from his talk yesterday:

"He stopped working for Studio Ghibli after Spirited Away (2001) because of Miyazaki's ungrateful attitude. He was so angry that he refused his bonus from Ghibli (Spirited Away was the most successful film in Japanese history)."

Hmm, Miyazaki really is an ass. It's not like I wasn't aware of this already, but the people who work for Studio Ghibli clearly give so much of their for the sake of their art, you'd hope that he'd appreciate that a bit more.

Steroyd

Yami to Boushi - 07

Let me just measure this with my Yuri scouter.

My god, it's at 4000 Yuris

6000 Yuris!

8000 Yuris!!

Wait, wait what is she planning to do with that hand!? Oh my god the scouter exploded at
BED-KUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!!!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Strawberry Panic 01:

SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. Please tell me that the ratio of yuri:boring shit improves in future episodes. Stuffy, excruciatingly-polite 1% private academies where girls greet each other with gokigenyou and sip tea in their dormitories are my least-favorite school environment, and my dislike was compounded by the episode being an absolutely crawling tour of every boring digital background in the building.

I can't believe that this is a 26-episode series, but I'll keep watching with the hope that things will improve.

God damn. Fucking Envelope slowly corrupting GAF. lol

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san - 02

mpc-hc2012-04-1620-27wvejv.jpg

I never thought I would have so much fun with the show.

Ryuukan

Blood-C was so much better than Code Geass. There's Code Geass' brand of stupid and then their is Blood-C's. Blood-C also has the superior CLAMP character designs.

Do you live on an island with RurouniZel?
Because you've both missed the fucking boat completely.

Kagami

Nyarko 1
Reasonably funny, but I'm not moe-ing over her like some people.
I have a feeling this is going to be my Yuruyuri of the season, in that I'll find it funny while it's running and watch it every week, but promptly forget about it when it's over.
Holy crap @ 800,000 views on NicoNico. Why is this so popular??
It'd not like it's online before the TV broadcast like Mirai Nikki.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Do you live on an island with RurouniZel?
Because you've both missed the fucking boat completely.

I initially dropped Blood-C as well, but caught up because of various YouTube videos that piqued my interest.

Also, Code Geass is much longer than Blood-C, so there's a barrier of reentry.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
God damn. Fucking Envelope slowly corrupting GAF. lol

We're getting desperate for some Yuri goodness. lol

I would be home right now watching more of Marimite if it wasn't for the fact that there's a quiz scheduled today for one of my classes.

Ryuukan

I initially dropped Blood-C as well, but caught up because of various YouTube videos that piqued my interest.

Also, Code Geass is much longer than Blood-C, so there's a barrier of reentry.

Post pics when you and Femmeworth have costumes done for this axis of evil you're creating.

Hayate no Gotoku 32

2qlGl.jpg

They seriously spent half the episode on a character from Excel Saga who was already a cameo of the director? That's... amazing.

NpTWn.jpg

Ah, well that explains it, :lol

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Strawberry Panic 02:

pYGnX.jpg

No place called Strawberry Hall could ever be witness to anything approximating an uproar.

Everything about this show is suffocating. The rigid social structure, the drama, the unbelievable delicacy and purity of the girls, the pesky cockblock clocks. I don't know how much more I can take. I'm drowning in frills and light piano music and old-world architecture. Need yuri NOW.

Jex

So I just started watchin' Fractale and I desperately want all the characters to sound Irish. I'm so hung up on it. Dat ED, man. Dat ED.

Well, that's a shame. I haven't come across many folks who have enjoyed Fractale. I found the tonal inconsistencies to be a major hindrance to my enjoyment of the work from the first episode, but some people managed to put up with it a lot longer than I.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 01
Wow. Repeating the first 8 minutes a second time over with minor changes to the scene has to be one of the absolute worst ways to get people interested in your show.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Strawberry Panic 02:

Everything about this show is suffocating. The rigid social structure, the drama, the unbelievable delicacy and purity of the girls, the pesky cockblock clocks. I don't know how much more I can take. I'm drowning in frills and light piano music and old-world architecture. Need yuri NOW.

This is no bueno!

Jex

Hayate no Gotoku 32

2qlGl.jpg

They seriously spent half the episode on a character from Excel Saga who was already a cameo of the director? That's... amazing.

NpTWn.jpg

Ah, well that explains it, :lol

Wait. The director already had minutes and minutes of cameos in Excel Saga. He myst be really greedy.

I'm in a yuri mood from so much Yami and the crazy hat.
there has to be more than Simoun and Strawberry Panic.
I can't think of any at the moment.

Saki and Saki Achiga-hen are FULL of yuri subtext... very blatant subtext. There isn't actually kissing, but there's a lot of blushing and such, and more... and also, the series has a lot of potential yuri couples for yuri fans to subtext (some, as I said, very obvious -- Saki/Nodoka, Yumi/Momo, etc -- others potentially invented) -- it's not just a few characters.

cajunator

Banned
Yami to Boushi - 07

Let me just measure this with my Yuri scouter.

My god, it's at 4000 Yuris

6000 Yuris!

8000 Yuris!!

Wait, wait what is she planning to do with that hand!? Oh my god the scouter exploded at
BED-KUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!!!

Damn thats a lot of Yami to take in in a short time. Be careful!

Blood-C was so much better than Code Geass. There's Code Geass' brand of stupid and then their is Blood-C's. Blood-C also has the superior CLAMP character designs.

God damn.

Not you too. -_-

BLood C is amazing, but Code Geass is AMAZINNNNNGGGGGGG.

See the difference?

cajunator

Banned
Saki and Saki Achiga-hen are FULL of yuri subtext... very blatant subtext. There isn't actually kissing, but there's a lot of blushing and such, and more... and also, the series has a lot of potential yuri couples for yuri fans to subtext (some, as I said, very obvious -- Saki/Nodoka, Yumi/Momo, etc -- others potentially invented) -- it's not just a few characters.

Is the show an actual serious relationship drama or is it slapstick?
I like lighthearted yuri like Yuru yuri a lot.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 01
Wow. Repeating the first 8 minutes a second time over with minor changes to the scene has to be one of the absolute worst ways to get people interested in your show.

Yup. I couldn't believe my eyes when I figured they were going to repeat the whole sequence. Such a cheap move.

I don't know about that...

Jesus, hahaha. I wonder how their cats look like.

cajunator

Banned
You definitely cant overhype Code Geass.
It is so blatantly fabulous and is very obviously trolling everyone. It seems to actively seek out to derail the whole fucking train, and when it happens you just sit there dumbfounded that they actually did it.

Is the show an actual serious relationship drama or is it slapstick?
I like lighthearted yuri like Yuru yuri a lot.

Saki / Saki Achiga are mahjong series, at their core. They're about mahjong being played by groups of girls, many of whom subtext-yuri eachother. (Yeah, sure, we believe that Nodoka's blushing that much just because she wants to go to nationals with Saki... sure... no, not really.)

But no, they're not serious relationship drama stuff. The seriousness is largely about mahjong (and mahjong's more interesting than karuta, even if I still don't quite get the rules...). Most characters do have a serious side to their story, but it's never anything TOO serious, and there's often plenty of comedy. (Yuki can be pretty silly...)

It's a great franchise, I love both animes and the mangas too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom