• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Strawberry Panic 1

strawberry1.jpg

tumblr_lmi4nyojgV1qieicp.gif

Yurrriiiii! /seizure

Yeah, I'll check this series out when I get home. Two episodes in with season 2 of Marimite, impressions will be up later on.

Kagami

Everytime Code geass gets brought up, it gets my blood boiling for
what they did with poor Shirley.
This was, I think, the only time in my life I've been seriously pissed off at a work of fiction.
And I'm nearly 40, so it's not like I simply haven't been exposed to much.
But that episode...not so much the fact that happened, but the way it went down...
Especially that guy. No, not Rolo. I'm talking about that police officer or whoever he was, the one Suzaku ordered to take care of her. "Herp derp Knight of the Round gave me an order but I guess she'll be fine, no need to go after her." THAT mutherfucker. All of my rage. ALL OF IT. I'd wish him dead in the Freya incident but that would be too quick. He needs to suffer more.

I was a massive fan of the series up to that point and had the whole series Blu-rays on pre-order, both seasons. (The first season was originally DVD only, and the BDs came out later at the same time as R2.) Something around $1000 of Japanese BDs. But then that episode aired and my first thought was to rage-cancel the entire thing to express my frothing anger.

I went outside my apartment and walked around the parking lot for about thirty minutes to calm down. Never done anything like that before or since.

......Eh, I got over it.

So yeah, watch Code Geass, anyone who hasn't yet.
It contains many experiences of various sorts.

cajunator

Banned
This was, I think, the only time in my life I've been seriously pissed off at a work of fiction.
And I'm nearly 40, so it's not like I simply haven't been exposed to much.
But that episode...not so much the fact that happened, but the way it went down...
Especially that guy. No, not Rolo. I'm talking about that police officer or whoever he was, the one Suzaku ordered to take care of her. "Herp derp Knight of the Round gave me an order but I guess she'll be fine, no need to go after her." THAT mutherfucker. All of my rage. ALL OF IT. I'd wish him dead in the Freya incident but that would be too quick. He needs to suffer more.

I was a massive fan of the series up to that point and had the whole series Blu-rays on pre-order, both seasons. (The first season was originally DVD only, and the BDs came out later at the same time as R2.) Something around $1000 of Japanese BDs. But then that episode aired and my first thought was to rage-cancel the entire thing to express my frothing anger.

I went outside my apartment and walked around the parking lot for about thirty minutes to calm down. Never done anything like that before or since.

......Eh, I got over it.

So yeah, watch Code Geass, anyone who hasn't yet.
It contains many experiences of various sorts.

HOLY FUCK

Lain

Space Bros 3

Some really :lol quality for certain scenes this time, but at least the content is still good. Serika is the best.

cajunator

Banned
Fair enough. However, I do think you should stick around until at least episode 7 or 8 to really get a feel for the show. When it comes off the rails it is really spectacular to witness.

Ryuukan

I actually really like mech shows. Just note Code Geass. I like the original Macross and Macross Plus, Gundam Seed and some of Destiny, The Vision of Escaflowne, etc. etc.

The custom knightmare frames are some of Sunrise's best mecha ever. You need to try again.

Jex

Rick's Brea- I mean, Shining Hearts 1

Meet Rick

He's just your average, everyday baker. Of course, in this world's universe that means he's the toast of the town, and he naturally works with three beautiful young ladies who most likely wish for him to put buns in their ovens.

Their little business has been on a roll lately; it's established early on that they're really raking in the dough.
Hmm, after reading through this post I might actually agree with the idea that Rick's Bread isn't just bread.

I think it's definitely drugs.
Good God. That's a lot of effort.

The sacrifices people make for this thread...

NewFresh

/XX/

Regarding Birth and Yoshinori Kanada. The OVA is one of those weird things you stumble onto and it just stuck with me. You also mentioned Down Load and its LaserDisc release; I've only ever heard of the Down Load - Namiamidabutsu wa Ai no Uta LaserDisc, though I have seen it for sale on VHS (>$100). It's been on my "must watch" list for a while now. Especially after seeing some of a MAG documentary on him ( スペシャル「アニメの革命児 金田伊功」).

Steroyd

Quile Quile Quile - 05

Hey guys, there's this character called Quile.

Oh, and just in case you didn't read that the first time, her name is Quile

Man that character, what was her name again, oh yes, Quile

It's so fortunate that this character keeps reminding us every five seconds that she's called Quile.

I'll never forget you big boobed amazonian female who keeps telling us her name is Quile.

...what was I watching again?

Jex

*skims thread*

I've no idea what's going on anymore. Just that we're nearing an OT2 it would seem. Might I suggest:

Spring Anime 2012 |OT2| of Be patient laides! Rick has more than enough bread for everyone!

We're totally going to slow down, any time now. Community has killed us.
Apologies, my knowledge on the subject is limited, and a quick wiki article scan had a film header, so I just assumed it had already been released given the age of the original series.

Hahaha, someone is taking duckroll too seriously.
Derp Beast.

...and Quille.

All hail -

YamiMonsterDesign.jpg

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Mirai Nikki 26
f8qoj.jpg

It was bad and I feel bad.
How does the third world go down a path where no new god is needed? Why couldn't Yukki as the winner stayed there and controlled it? Why can't he just go check on things or build some viewing portal to that world if he's a god? Bleh, so dumb. Series feels even more pointless when it ends on the note, "Hey, if none of this ever happened everything would be A+++ amazing." The Yuno suicide was obvious from the beginning. She was always ready to die, so why didn't she just do it like five episodes back and save us from all this time traveling bullshit?

Jex

you should check it out asap for god tier yuri

Just to step out of the guidelines of genre-recommendations for a moment, I feel that it's worth saying that Aoi Hana should be viewed by people because it's a great show, regardless of it's genre.

Lain

Medaka Box 2

Weaker than the first episode, but I still liked it, even though just a couple scenes were really nice, like Medak popping behind Zenkichi, Shiranui with the helm on and dog Medaka.

Jex

Yami to Boushi something something - 01

...wut.

And someone needs to learn how to hold the camera straight.

It's always refreshing to see lambs being lead to the slaughter.

I think the best part of this whole 'recommend terrible anime' thing is - you tell the lambs they're going to be slaughtered, you show them the grinder, you let them seeconsequences of being slaughtered and yet they voluntarily walk into the meat grinder anyway.
Gintama 86-87

I'm continually impressed by the way this show can have huge changes in tone even during a single arc and still come off as genuine and affecting. It probably helps that they get you to like the characters before anything bad happens to them instead of forcing you to care about their situation by shoving drama down your throat.

Of course, it's great to see people actually watching great anime as well.

Jex

I forgot that
Nunnally was there THE ENTIRE TIME
. Never change, Code Geass, never change.
She represents the viewer. It's deep.
How have so many not watched Code Geass?! The anime that defined this generation!

I am far more concerned with people who haven't seen the Ghibli/Miyazaki film catalogue. It doesn't take long to watch a single film, where as tackling a whole show is far more daunting.

Of course, Code Geass is also an essential masterpiece.

Azure J

Troll Ghost 2

This would have made for a much better first episode, what gives? Whoever does Yuuko's voice is really nailing the switches between hamfistedness and casual jokes the character is good for and that's a big plus in my book.

Edit: We talking about Geass in here now? That show and the memories I had of watching it with the net fan base week by week will never die. :lol

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Just to step out of the guidelines of genre-recommendations for a moment, I feel that it's worth saying that Aoi Hana should be viewed by people because it's a great show, regardless of it's genre.

Planning on watching that at some point. Maybe after Nodame Cantabile.

Jex

Pretty much. Everyone thought Star Driver would take up the mantle, then Guilty Crown, but the wait for a true successor continues.

The idea that you can artificially set out to create what was arrived at through sheer happenstance seems to be flawed. It's not like the creators of Code Geass set out to make something quite as ridiculous as the final product - it was arrived at through time, effort and stupidity. The 'next Code Geass' won't be something that you can see coming from a mile away - it will be something that starts out relatively normally and get turned on it's head later on.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Strawberry Panic 01:

SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. Please tell me that the ratio of yuri:boring shit improves in future episodes. Stuffy, excruciatingly-polite 1% private academies where girls greet each other with gokigenyou and sip tea in their dormitories are my least-favorite school environment, and my dislike was compounded by the episode being an absolutely crawling tour of every boring digital background in the building.

I can't believe that this is a 26-episode series, but I'll keep watching with the hope that things will improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom