• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Mysterious Girlfriend X 02
fRkTZ.jpg

This show is doing a pretty amazing job of being unusual and familiar at the same time. This episode sets up the framing device of what is essentially water cooler talk to break up the main character's time with Urabe, along with a few other shots of his daily life. There's good overlap between them to keep them from feeling too disconnected, but their normalcy helps to create a contrast with the show's strange side, and helps make things seem more unusual. This episode even did a good job of having these lingering images of normal couples/women show up all over the episode to help ground the main character's attempt to search for that.

Jex

And then it got toned down again. It was in no way a constant throughout the series.

The fact that it's front-loaded really hurts the show for viewers who don't want to see that kind of material because they will that stuff and then never watch again.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Ano Natsu 6

Wow, so many things happened in this episode.

Kaori is pretty weird. She hasn't met Kaito is years and she is acting all emotional about it? There has to be more to it. Her sidekick is pretty hilarious especially when she wanted to rape Tetsurou.

Mio, what are you doing? That's like totally the opposite of her personality.

Also, Lemon is such an awesome character

One of my favorite episodes of the show! So much going on at once, esp. after the cliffhanger at the end of the prior episode still fresh on the mind. :D

I... could watch this all day. o_o

madp

The Light of El Cantare

3D Poppins disgusting.

Seriously though, that end song in Arrietty was pretty awful.

The curious thing about most (if not all) of the AnimeGAF quotes I've seen on animesos is that they're pretty blatantly self-aware, even if we're serious about what we're saying. They're not at all like the really terrible statements that the tumblr seems to want to draw attention to.

Jormungand - 02

jor6v0uau.gif

The pacing was a lot better than in the first episode and the CG was reduced to a minimum. I think a very enjoyable episode even without
big action scenes and with a great toll ending

And the awesome Orcestra Hitman arc next week!

Jex

The curious thing about most (if not all) of the AnimeGAF quotes I've seen on animesos is that they're pretty blatantly self-aware, even if we're serious about what we're saying. They're not at all like the really terrible statements that the tumblr seems to want to draw attention to.

It's a conspiracy! Perhaps one that's been formulated from within this very thread.

So, after a month of waiting my Emma DVD boxsets arrived from America. I still don't understand why, as a British citizen have no choice but to import this series from another country, but I'll live with it. Customs were generous enough to throw a charge on it as well, totalling roughly 40% of what I had already paid for the product but that's the kind of stuff you have to accept if you want to legally own a show.

The DVD packaging is pretty standard but at least it has some nice artwork on it. Unfortunately my box managed to get bent during transport, which I am not thrilled about.
Sorry to hear about your importing travails. I wouldn't really call the packaging "standard"; no one outside Nozomi uses the same classy one. It's the best I've seen out of any domestic publisher.

Jex

Sorry to hear about your importing travails. I wouldn't really call the packaging "standard"; no one outside Nozomi uses the same classy one. It's the best I've seen out of any domestic publisher.

You're right, I only just noticed that the boxes containing the DVD's are step above the usual flimsy rubbish that you get with a boxset. Even though it's has no impact on the show itself I feel better about separating myself from large chunks of money if I can get some anime with decent packaging.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Maria-sama ga Miteru Season 3 03

Maria-sama16.png

500px-HA_HA_HA_OH_WOW.jpg

I had to pause to get the laughter out of my system. Good stuff. The moments between Sachiko and Yumi were really sweet in this episode too.

Jex

You know what this means, guys. ANIMEGAFCAST!!

It's not like there aren't a number of knowledgeable people in this thread, but I always feel people underestimate how many factors go into making a good podcast. It's not like most podcasts suck simply because the hosts have no idea what they are talking about. It really comes down to:

- Knowledgeable participants

- Participants who are able to explain points clearly and concisely

- Great chemistry between participants

- A host who understands how to create a conversation, when to cut people off, when to move the discussion on etc.

- Someone with far too much time on their hands to edit out all the fluff, dead air and repetition.

- Ideally, preparation.

Koroviev

It's not like there aren't a number of knowledgeable people in this thread, but I always feel people underestimate how many factors go into making a good podcast. It's not like most podcasts suck simply because the hosts have no idea what they are talking about. It really comes down to:

- Knowledgeable participants

- Participants who are able to explain points clearly and concisely

- Great chemistry between participants

- A host who understands how to create a conversation, when to cut people off, when to move the discussion on etc.

- Someone with far too much time on their hands to edit out all the fluff, dead air and repetition.

- Ideally, preparation.

Yeah, it's really impressive when people can pull off good podcasts on a regular basis.

frostbyte

Ano Natsu 5

Wait, wait, wait, why is
Mio just strolling around naked in her house? That's like the second time they show it.

Also I loved the ending of this episode.
Tetsurou is such a bro for telling Kaito about Kanna

Kinda late but yeah, you'll see for the first spoiler.

Kanna or Ichika?

------------------

Strawberry Panic 2

Nothing like the fresh smell of yuri in the morning.

I love how Himeko just walks into hot yuri love everywhere. Yuri in the library, what could be better?

fuuuuuuuuuuu, how many times are they going to get disturbed? Don't tell me I have to wait until ep 7 :(

Strawberry Panic 2

Nothing like the fresh smell of yuri in the morning.

I love how Himeko just walks into hot yuri love everywhere. Yuri in the library, what could be better?

fuuuuuuuuuuu, how many times are they going to get disturbed? Don't tell me I have to wait until ep 7 :(

Deep friendship is a wonderful thing.

cajunator

Banned
It's pointless trying to predict what will sell well when irredeemable garbage like Infinite Stratos without an ounce of quality is a huge success. The otaku have no real interest in good anime, just whatever happens to hit the right pandering buttons at the right time.

While this is probably true in terms of sales, it makes me wonder if the Japanese market might be vastly more friendly to a variety of shows if everything was cheaper. I know this is not something that can realistically happen, but it would be interesting to see if western otaku tend to buy any of the higher quality shows that fail in the Japanese market, or if the failure is about equal on this side.

Hey, if they can't make a great figurine, you can't sell merchandise and there's no way to secure funding for a show. Sounds like it's pretty important!

IT IS! for one thing, making figurines that are distinct usually requires an interesting looking character to begin with. At the very least it requires the studios to be creative with the designs.

Well, I guess, congratulations are in order? Again.

http://animesos.tumblr.com/post/21244978107

Why did they cherry pick such an old quote to feature today?

This isn't really fair because the West is solely being represented by ugly things.

Dammed with faint praise.

The west IS dominated by ugly things, which is unfortunate. Our seeming intolerance to cute things is bothersome and saddening. There is nothing wrong with adding some cuteness or happier things, esoecially in media. when the world is already a bleak place the western idea of entertainment seems only to reflect it, not really provide an escape from it. Japan seems to overdo this concept to hilarious degrees, but they have the right idea.

I am saying that otaku want everything turned into women and/or girls.

See above. Especially the concept of (x)-tan characters representing products, ideas, countries, and machines. They can become mascots and scarily accurately represent a product in a pleasing manner.

Go_Ly_Dow

Tsuritama 1

I found that to be a really relaxing episode. Loved the cool and vibrant art style.

Will check out the next 2 episodes.

cajunator

Banned
Tsuritama 1

I found that to be a really relaxing episode. Loved the cool and vibrant art style.

Will check out the next 2 episodes.

Yeah it perfectly captures the feel of a nice summertime show by the ocean. Really nice effects and artwork. Happy crazy atmosphere. I love it so much.

Naruto SD 03
m712z.gif

So, everyone else was doing it wrong!
Fun episode. I am liking the focus on people not named Naruto/Sasuke, so kudos to the show. Zoned out in the middle, but I am liking the baseball parodies.

See above. Especially the concept of (x)-tan characters representing products, ideas, countries, and machines. They can become mascots and scarily accurately represent a product in a pleasing manner.

yeah, that's right.

the moe-tans are no replacement for the real stuff but more like cute inside jokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom