• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I was also impressed last season with the subtle sound of breast flesh quietly slapping against their owners' chests in Highschool DxD. Can't remember ever hearing that done before.

It's the little things that truly make a difference!

Risette

A Good Citizen
So guys, I watched Yuru Yuri ep1 last night and it was legit good. What other good recent moeblob shows are there besides that and Milky Holmes?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was also impressed last season with the subtle sound of breast flesh quietly slapping against their owners' chests in Highschool DxD. Can't remember ever hearing that done before.
It's all about the details I suppose. Haha.

Oooh! I need to start doing that.
It won't be too long before you start wearing a rosary!

---

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia

Ah, so I see the equation now:
Take Sayoko Arashiyama:
eTZV8l.jpg

Add Senjougahara:
FeAGIl.jpg

And you get Yuuko:
s6SQJl.jpg
I can definitely see the appeal (since those are the two best Shaft characters!). You basically have simple ghost stories, but the ghost is more of a troll than the ghost girl in Natsu no Arashi.

(Of course, they also have the same hair cut!)

I also quite liked this shot:
KSJUKl.jpg

Not only does it divide the frame, but of course, it also evokes the
broken mirror
from earlier.

That said, at times, the show does feel like "Junior Shaft", for better or for worse. I'm mostly indifferent to it, mostly because of how used to it I am. At least it doesn't slap you in the face with it like BakaTest S2 did.

Kagami

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
I liked this quite a bit, but I will say that (a) it kind of runs out of steam toward the end, unlike Yuruyuri which ends in maximum hilarity, and (b) a good chunk of its funny is parody/otaku/2ch humor, which I love personally, but YMMV. I'd say it's not as universally accessible as Yuruyuri.
Yuruyuri is just plain hilarious. As far as pure comedy goes it's top tier. Every time I thought they'd played out a character schtick, they came up with some new clever way to use it.
On the other hand, as far as adorable and sexy moewaifus go, Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai is in the lead, at least if you're like me and favor Buriki's art over the simplistic look of Yuruyuri's characters.

Steroyd

I wouldn't put this in the same 'moeblob' bracket as Yuru Yuri and Milky Homes, but I would reccomend it anyway.

I often see A Channel mentioned whenever Yuru Yuri is talked about.

Steroyd

Because A-Channel is the better show.

I stopped watching that at around episode 4, no idea why, was nowhere near as offensively bad as the stuff I've actually watched to completion.

Funny thing is I watched the OVA's that released recently, w00t backlog addition. -_-

Joule

Can't argue against that, Tooru was just awesome.
Loved the moments when she would slap Yuuko's chest. Haha!

Where's that boob slapping gif when I need it. It was an alright show that kinda grew on me with time. Run being wacky was what kept me on it.

^Damn Animegaf is always on point

Jex

KSJUKl.jpg

broken mirror
from earlier.

That said, at times, the show does feel like "Junior Shaft", for better or for worse. I'm mostly indifferent to it, mostly because of how used to it I am. At least it doesn't slap you in the face with it like BakaTest S2 did.

It's funny that you say that, because those top-down shots are something I associate with SHAFT (usually for money saving purposes).

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia

Ah, so I see the equation now:

I can definitely see the appeal (since those are the two best Shaft characters!). You basically have simple ghost stories, but the ghost is more of a troll than the ghost girl in Natsu no Arashi.

(Of course, they also have the same hair cut!)

broken mirror
from earlier.

Firehawk, we don't always agree, but when we do agree, we really, really agree.

You've finally helped me realize why I see Yuuko as such amazing waifu material even though I'm ambivalent about the show. She's Hitagi and Sayoko's lovechild.

Jex

I don't think a "tourism" element has positive or negative impact on the sales of a show honestly. Rinne probably failed to sell because it was perceived as just another mecha moe show with all girl pilots. Been there, done that, everyone who likes stuff like that already bought Infinite Stratos, everyone else who doesn't like stuff like that might have stayed away from the show to begin with.

I kind of feel that Rinne failed, because it was certainly a better show than many other successful properties, but I am not entirely surprised either.
Mardock Scramble - The First Compression

Received the BD today and watched it. The movie was really beautiful visually, though it felt a bit disjointed in the way it linked various scenes, but that might be because I've been reading the manga (I'll have to get over page 10 of the book some day), which has various diferences.
For example the process, which isn't in the manga (yet). This part kinda pissed me off because of the lawyer's questions.
The downside to this movie is where it ends and the fact the dub felt bad enough I had to switch to JP VA+subs.
This review makes the movie sound dangerously normal!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Queen's Blade Rebellion 01
Not being familiar with Queen's Blade, I had no idea breastplates became so fragile when worn by women.

Branduil

It's pointless trying to predict what will sell well when irredeemable garbage like Infinite Stratos without an ounce of quality is a huge success. The otaku have no real interest in good anime, just whatever happens to hit the right pandering buttons at the right time.

survivor

Banned
Ano Natsu 5

Wait, wait, wait, why is
Mio just strolling around naked in her house? That's like the second time they show it.

Also I loved the ending of this episode.
Tetsurou is such a bro for telling Kaito about Kanna

Ezalc

Ano Natsu 5

Wait, wait, wait, why is
Mio just strolling around naked in her house? That's like the second time they show it.

Just keep watching the show.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Ano Natsu 5

Wait, wait, wait, why is

That first spoiler,
I'll just say you're right that being the second time. ^^;

Jex

So, after a month of waiting my Emma DVD boxsets arrived from America. I still don't understand why, I as a British citizen have no choice but to import this series from another country, but I'll live with it. Customs were generous enough to throw a charge on it as well, totalling roughly 40% of what I had already paid for the product but that's the kind of stuff you have to accept if you want to legally own a show.

DSC07117.jpg

The DVD packaging is pretty standard but at least it has some nice artwork on it. Unfortunately my box managed to get bent during transport, which I am not thrilled about.

DSC07121.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised to find that both boxsets come with a supplemental book which features art work from the show and a glossary of terms. I would have preferred something along the lines of interviews with the staff who worked on the show, but that's I realise that's just a foolish dream. There's a pretty short one at the back, but I would have liked more.

wsippel

Banned
Not being familiar with Queen's Blade, I had no idea breastplates became so fragile when worn by women.
The original Queen's Blade will for all time be remembered as the embodiment of the "armor rating" meme. It also features the most nonsensical piece of "heavy armor" of all time. It's glorious.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
We all know that Queen's Blade has established a comprehensive set of alternative physics principles for its universe. It must simply be that the double dome is the geometric shape that distributes force most poorly in their world. Anime science is still a burgeoning field of study and strange and fascinating insights are being discovered all the time!

survivor

Banned
Ano Natsu 6

Wow, so many things happened in this episode.

Kaori is pretty weird. She hasn't met Kaito is years and she is acting all emotional about it? There has to be more to it. Her sidekick is pretty hilarious especially when she wanted to rape Tetsurou.

Mio, what are you doing? That's like totally the opposite of her personality.

Also, Lemon is such an awesome character

Ryuukan

The original Queen's Blade will for all time be remembered as the embodiment of the "armor rating" meme. It also features the most nonsensical piece of "heavy armor" of all time. It's glorious.

It's no meme, that's the point of the Queen's Blade books that the anime are based on. You damage your opponent to make them lose clothes/armor so you can see them undressed and distressed.

wsippel

Banned
It's no meme, that's the point of the Queen's Blade books that the anime are based on. You damage your opponent to make them lose clothes/armor so you can see them undressed and distressed.
I'm not surprised, but I'm specifically talking about this:

Myrnp.jpg

Jex

This conversation is increasingly less about why it didn't sell as much and more just people saying why they personally didn't like shows through rapid digression.

Either way, I agree with Pdot.

I think that's because it's pretty hard to know exactly why one show didn't sell very well and extremely easy to explain why you, personally, did not like it.
Just out of curiosity, why have you decided to become familiar with Queen's Blade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom