• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
I endured years of total social ostracism from my peers no matter how nice I was or how good my grades were because I couldn't put a ball in a fucking net as well as everyone else. No offense to any fans here but for me, sports culture can diaf.

Sailor Moon Stars 170:

well fuck, somehow it didn't occur to me that
Juban was already a zombified hellscape
until it was visually established.

Nehelenia
is basically master troll status at this point.
Finally give Ami a battle where she realizes her unique strengths as a sailor senshi? TRAP HER IN A MIRROR AFTER SHE WINS ANYWAY. lol

I didnt really care about sports until I got into football around 2004.
ITs fun to watch imo and exciting to follow a team that represents your state. Especially when the team is actually kind of good.
As for what other people thought about me regarding sports, I have always been a runt and a very obvious nerd. More known for folding origami bugs than hitting a baseball. But people liked my origami. They thought it was a neat talent. I made a bunch of them for my French teacher.

Mr.Jeff

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is an excellent choice (the only one of those four I can personally endorse), but it can be depressing at times. Looking at your MAL, some random not-depressing classics I'll recommend:

Dirty Pair
Doreamon: Nobita's Dinosaur (2006)
Gauche the Cellist
Kiki's Delivery Service
Master Keaton
Millennium Actress
Oniisama e...
Tokyo Godfathers
You Are Umasou
Awesome, that seems like sound advice which has reminded me that I am still woefully ignorant of any of Satoshi Kon's works so I need to fix that. I have a sneaking suspicion that I may have seen Dirty Pair but if I did, it was at some ridiculous time in the morning on a satellite channel.

LotGH I got a good halfway through when certain events were finally seemingly winding down but it became kinda obvious that
Reinhard was probably going to get royally screwed over by everyone
, it bummed me out a bit.

Necrovex

Hataraku-Maou Sama 5

So in the fight with
Lucifer
, Satan, Alciel, and Emilia all take their original forms. And after defeating and humiliating him, Satan does a good deed of undoing all of the destruction and wiping people's memories. The only person left who remembers anything is Chiho.

Everybody seems to be at a loss for what's going on with Maou. The dude used to be a demon lord, and now here he is helping and protecting the humans on Earth. I guess I just have a little trouble buying that just a little while of living on Earth and interacting with people would cause such a change in someone who spent however long killing people and trying to take over a world and usher in an era of darkness.

My favorite characters at this junction would have to be Alciel and Emi. Alciel is just hilarious. He's been reduced to the housekeeper and budget manager at the apartment, but he takes his role so seriously because of how loyal he is to Satan. And Emi's a half angel. And she's trying to make sense of this whole situation with Satan, often just wondering what the hell is going on. And I love the way she plays off of everyone else.

It's the power of Chiho. That's why Maou is such a good dude now.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal II 97

5HD3WRMl.jpg

About time for space ghost to snap and try and murder the protag. I know I would have done so about 90 episodes earlier.

cajunator

Banned
Awesome, that seems like sound advice which has reminded me that I am still woefully ignorant of any of Satoshi Kon's works so I need to fix that. I have a sneaking suspicion that I may have seen Dirty Pair but if I did, it was at some ridiculous time in the morning on a satellite channel.

LotGH I got a good halfway through when certain events were finally seemingly winding down but it became kinda obvious that

There is joy ahead of you. Lots of joy. MIllennium Actress is by far his best work. He left us too soon.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I do think you're going to be hard pressed to find someone who will say their driving style is crashing into trees.

cajunator

Banned
Well I do think you're going to be hard pressed to find someone who will say their driving style is crashing into trees.

I know how people drive that end up like that. It scares the shit out of me being in a car with them. I dont drive like that.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Sports have a natural drama that I love. Unfortunately it's hard to feel this in a regular season baseball game where it's just one of around 150+ games. In the NFL you only have 16 games so each one matters a lot and the battle for those wins more interesting even without talking about the nature of the sport itself.

Elimination tournaments and their do or die drama are always great. Putting the World Baseball Classic on premium cable is bullshit!

Instro

Sports have a natural drama that I love. Unfortunately it's hard to feel this in a regular season baseball game where it's just one of around 150+ games. In the NFL you only have 16 games so each one matters a lot and the battle for those wins more interesting even without talking about the nature of the sport itself.

Elimination tournaments and their do or die drama are always great. Putting the World Baseball Classic on premium cable is bullshit!

1v1 sports like Tennis and combat sports are probably the most interesting drama/storyline wise.

Hidamari Sketch 4

Another episode, another scheme for Hiro to lose weight.

Sensei is still very lewd, to the point that rumors behind things she makes involves lewd rewards.

The little kid is the meanest character so far. Made someone go on another diet, made someone feel so short. Will she reign terror again in the future!?

And Karaoke! SOL animes just need this!

Metrotab

Banned
Attack on Titan - 8

What the fuuuuuuuuuck??? And no surprise that the incompetent government is going to turn against
Eren

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
1v1 sports like Tennis and combat sports are probably the most interesting drama/storyline wise.
The downside is lack of presence and organization. With a team you need only follow mentions of that team and the various media built around delivering that information to you, but with individuals the narrative is harder to fill in outside the really big names like Tiger Woods.

Awesome, that seems like sound advice which has reminded me that I am still woefully ignorant of any of Satoshi Kon's works so I need to fix that.

A familiarity with Kon's and Takahata's films, as well as a more complete familiarity with Miyazaki's, are necessary if you want to be literate in the "anime canon".

I have a sneaking suspicion that I may have seen Dirty Pair but if I did, it was at some ridiculous time in the morning on a satellite channel.

There's a lot of Dirty Pair out there, so maybe I should unpack my recommendation a little. The TV series and OVA series are both great. The Project Eden film is excellent. Flight 005 Conspiracy is OK. Affair of Nolandia is not good. The Flash reboot is best avoided.

You should finish the series someday. The payoff is worth it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Sailor Moon Stars 167:

shit is REALER THAN REAL right from the first episode. Somebody hold me, I'm scared. This whole season is just going to be one giant endgame arc, isn't it? I mean, man, I don't even know where to begin. everybody and everything is going to DIEEEEEEEEEEE.
Remember how s1 created an impasse where it was too far removed to take cues from the manga and had to do a short arc to get things back on track? It happened again.
The gang was supposed to get into high school at the beginning of Supers(remember all that studying in S?), and Usagi achieves Eternal status by the end. Both end up being important. The anime manages to make this progression into a nice segue into the main arc, but some elements aren't entirely satisfactory.

In general, though...

1-46 = 46 eps
47-89 = 43 eps
90 - 127 = 38 eps
128-166 = 39 eps
167-200 = 34 eps

So with that in mind, Stars really doesn't have as much time to dink around anyway.

Mature

After finishing Patlabor 2 I've been going through the extra booklets included in the Honneamise CE release and I'm completely floored by them. The booklet containing the entire film's storyboard with translated notes is good enough, but going through The Movie Archives booklet is a step above. 140 pages packed with analysis, interviews, reference, staff profiles, and even a key animation selection. I haven't even looked at the bonus behind-the-scenes disc yet. It almost makes me feel guilty for only paying something like $7.00 for it. Almost.

Edit: Speaking of Patlabor, I've only seen the first two movies and that's it. Does the OVA series come recommended? I believe it just came out in BD in the states?

Flowers of Evil Episode 8 – Flowers of Evil 8 of 13

Went much better than I had expected. 7 and 8 have been the most memorable episodes thus far. Though am concerned about Saeki
Didnt realize Kasuga would also give in to her as well, stopping when she yelled and what not, and she quickly putting the pieces together. I wonder if she will treat him like Nakamura does as well, except in her own special way.

n7zQGGW.jpg

These two are idiots, yet they're perfect for one another.

Mushibugyo 8

Lol Jinbei is to stupid to threaten. His idiocy can be annoying at times, but it sure livens up what would ordinarily be a dull episode.

Rather upset that they used the eel thing for Mitsuki instead of Haru, would have made the situation a whole lot better.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Ail & Ann > Dark Moon Sisters > RUBEUS THAT FUCKER >
Black Lady
> Esmeraude > Demando's incestuous oniichan > Demando > A pile of poop > Wiseman

Narag

Sengoku Basara 11

3tdE78Tl.png

Sparks and shit everywhere. I think I hurt my jaw again saying "Daaaaamn."

iViILcRl.png

Hometown ninja. What's amusing is like any fanservice in the show is relegated entirely to her instead of spreading it out among the few female cast.

Great penultimate episode. Stakes raised, cliffhangers established, and the endgame is finally upon us!

After finishing Patlabor 2 I've been going through the extra booklets included in the Honneamise CE release and I'm completely floored by them. The booklet containing the entire film's storyboard with translated notes is good enough, but going through The Movie Archives booklet is a step above. 140 pages packed with analysis, interviews, reference, staff profiles, and even a key animation selection. I haven't even looked at the bonus behind-the-scenes disc yet. It almost makes me feel guilty for only paying something like $7.00 for it. Almost.

I wish every anime release had this kind of detailed supplemental material. It gives me such a better appreciation of the work and its context.

Edit: Speaking of Patlabor, I've only seen the first two movies and that's it. Does the OVA series come recommended? I believe it just came out in BD in the states?

The first OVA series is pretty good, if inconsistent. It gives you a familiarity with the characters that the films took for granted. I bought that BD and can report that the video quality is good.

I've heard great things about the TV series too and will be starting in on that shortly.

Sengoku Basara 11

Great penultimate episode. Stakes raised, cliffhangers established, and the endgame is finally upon us!

Btw, if you want the story to make 'some' sense, you should watch episode 13 first before episode 12. It's technically episode 11.5 and would make one part of episode 12 more reasonable to understand.

CorvoSol

Unrelated to everything except last night's topic: if threatening or even using a truth serum on Kallen was supposed to be the thing that made Suzaku as bad as Lelouch, I'm truly, amazingly underwhelmed. It's barely even bad, let alone the kind of scummy thing Lelouch does. If kids got taken in by that, I feel sorry for 'em.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Unrelated to everything except last night's topic: if threatening or even using a truth serum on Kallen was supposed to be the thing that made Suzaku as bad as Lelouch, I'm truly, amazingly underwhelmed. It's barely even bad, let alone the kind of scummy thing Lelouch does. If kids got taken in by that, I feel sorry for 'em.
Says the person who is being unfair against Lelouch just because it makes the show simpler for him. ;)

Theonik

Pop Chaser
Another Lady Innocent
Kuro Ai
Taimanin Asagi
Stainless Night
Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo - Anata to Koibito Tsunagi
Edit: Also if one wants to look at the Cream Lemon Series Narisu Scramble is another recommendation I would make if only just for the faces and how hilarious it is.
Are two more good picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom