• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Says the person who is being unfair against Lelouch just because it makes the show simpler for him. ;)

Can't see how I'm being unfair to a guy who mind rapes his friends and murderers the people he loves for the sake of the world's pettiest grudge match against a man who the show has now revealed was not responsible for the event that set all of this in motion.

Narag

Can't see how I'm being unfair to a guy who mind rapes his friends and murderers the people he loves for the sake of the world's pettiest grudge match against a man who the show has now revealed was not responsible for the event that set all of this in motion.

Don't forget his siscon tendencies. All the best complex anime villains are siscons.

Metrotab

Banned
Aku no Hana - 8

I love how the direction sometimes give scenes the time to just linger without progression. As the audience you crave resolution, but it doesn't come.

It's very different from the usually rushed event progression in adaptative anime.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I really wouldn't consider it petty, but I can't comment on the details at this time.

By the way,
Euphemia chalks up as one part accident, one part tragedy.

CorvoSol

I really wouldn't consider it petty, but I can't comment on the details at this time.

It's only not petty if something serious changes the nature of this grudge in the next ten episodes. Otherwise he's killed countless innocents to get revenge on a man who wasn't even responsible for the crime he's trying to get revenge for.

And
Euphemia being accidental is suspect as fuck. Not only had the guy planned on killing her well in advance, he doesn't do a damn thing to stop her from murdering those people.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Code Geass]
By the way,
Euphemia chalks up as one part accident, one part tragedy.
The thing is so sudden and ridiculous that I can't possibly characterise it as that. Tragedy has to be foreshadowed, an inevitable fatal flaw being the culprit. The Euphinator is just shitty contrived writing.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
And
Euphemia being accidental is suspect as fuck. Not only had the guy planned on killing her well in advance, he doesn't do a damn thing to stop her from murdering those people.
As much as Lelouche likes to think otherwise, he's not god.

[Code Geass]

The thing is so sudden and ridiculous that I can't possibly characterise it as that. Tragedy has to be foreshadowed, an inevitable fatal flaw being the culprit. The Euphinator is just shitty contrived writing.
Well, duh, but putting that aside, Lelouche's own double-life schemes are his fatal flaw. He put himself into a situation where random asspull happens and he can't bring himself to do much about it.

CorvoSol

Slayers 24

Man, Slyphiel really is WORST GIRL. I mean, Lina's casting a spell that, if done wrong, could destroy the world, and you INTERRUPT? You know, making it that much more likely the spell will go wrong? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU.

Narag

Sengoku Basara 12 FIN

2BvjID3l.png

God, what a finale. I was concerned they were building up Nobunaga too much earlier in the seires given how much of a presence he was when on-screen. Thought maybe they were oversellng him just a tad. Nope, that shit with him at the end was great. based Wakamoto and all that

---

Haven't had this much fun in forever. Dumb, loud, full of action, and just serviceable enough of a plot, I wish I had more manime like this. At least I have season 2 and the movie still! Exciting given the praise for them compared to this!

It's only not petty if something serious changes the nature of this grudge in the next ten episodes. Otherwise he's killed countless innocents to get revenge on a man who wasn't even responsible for the crime he's trying to get revenge for.

And

Uh,
he wasn't planning on killing her initially, he was planning on having her shoot him to get her reputation ruined to expose her as a fraud. Rioting would break out, and everyone would go to his side.
That was his original plan. But things went much differently.

Now, every time Lelouch used Geass on someone, they obeyed his commands until it was done. He knew this too well. He didn't know how to stop it, but that didn't matter to him until that pivotal moment.

Name one way Lelouch could have stopped
Euphemia from going on her rampage and explaining everything to his followers. If he grabbed her or did anything to try and stop her, she would have attacked him and continued. It was an out-of-nowhere situation. It wasn't a matter of him not stopping her, it was the fact that he KNEW he was unable to stop her. Not because he couldn't catch up to her, but he subconsciously knew that she would follow the command until she killed all the Japanese.

Hell, she probably would have killed Suzaku should she have kept going. Lelouch didn't kill her to cover his tracks, it was the only way to stop the massacre. Things worked out in his favour, but not the way he wanted.

I'm not saying that he's not a villain, as the other stuff that he does is pretty slimy, but he clearly did not want to go that far. I'm just saying that there was absolutely NO WAY (known to him anyway, this was before the Geass Canceller) he could have
saved Euphemia.

Geass orders are absolute.

Arata the Legend Episode 7 – Homura
tumblr_mnhdifiaLt1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Was waiting for this as the week long break was too much. Time in the regular world with Arata is just as good as time in the other world with Hinohara. The mystery around Kadowaki and his past with Hinohara is making the wait for next week hard. I really want to know the past that was just briefly hinted at in a flashback sequence of sorts but nothing else. The discussion could have lasted longer instead of being cut off :(

Kannagi joining sides finally was worthwhile, but it seemed unclear on his flame abilities. Can he just go through it but cant control it since he has no weapon anymore?

JCG

[Code Geass]

Even if the accidental trigger was stupid, there is foreshadowing in the circumstances, not the method. Lelouch seriously did want to ruin Euphemia's plans like an angry spoiled child, until less than a minute before the twist. But the real tragedy isn't the twist, it's how he chose to deal with the situation after she went crazy: killing her and exploiting it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Arata the Legend Episode 7 – Homura
tumblr_mnhdifiaLt1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Was waiting for this as the week long break was too much. Time in the regular world with Arata is just as good as time in the other world with Hinohara. The mystery around Kadowaki and his past with Hinohara is making the wait for next week hard. I really want to know the past that was just briefly hinted at in a flashback sequence of sorts but nothing else. The discussion could have lasted longer instead of being cut off :(

Kannagi joining sides finally was worthwhile, but it seemed unclear on his flame abilities. Can he just go through it but cant control it since he has no weapon anymore?

Why was there a break anyway?

I thought this weeks episode was pretty good.

The bullshit with
Kannagi
was pretty stupid. Really kills the entire point of the weapons if he still has
his damn powers without it

CorvoSol

Oh yeah, I still need to buy that.

The main quest is okay, but the post game content is awful. Getting the special Pokemon like Mewtwo, Groudon, or Articuno is such a pain in the ass that I haven't ever successfully done it.

Uh,
he wasn't planning on killing her initially, he was planning on having her shoot him to get her reputation ruined to expose her as a fraud. Rioting would break out, and everyone would go to his side.
That was his original plan. But things went much differently.

Now, every time Lelouch used Geass on someone, they obeyed his commands until it was done. He knew this too well. He didn't know how to stop it, but that didn't matter to him until that pivotal moment.

Name one way Lelouch could have stopped
Euphemia from going on her rampage and explaining everything to his followers. If he grabbed her or did anything to try and stop her, she would have attacked him and continued. It was an out-of-nowhere situation. It wasn't a matter of him not stopping her, it was the fact that he KNEW he was unable to stop her. Not because he couldn't catch up to her, but he subconsciously knew that she would follow the command until she killed all the Japanese.

Hell, she probably would have killed Suzaku should she have kept going. Lelouch didn't kill her to cover his tracks, it was the only way to stop the massacre. Things worked out in his favour, but not the way he wanted.

I'm not saying that he's not a villain, as the other stuff that he does is pretty slimy, but he clearly did not want to go that far. I'm just saying that there was absolutely NO WAY (known to him anyway, this was before the Geass Canceller) he could have
saved Euphemia.

Geass orders are absolute.

When I say he was planning on killing initially, I don't mean that day. In the hotel he'd already planned on killing, and had spared life only on a whim.

And I dare put forward that Geass orders are NOT absolute. They're powerful, but not absolute. Lelouch has broken free of the King's Geass, with C2's help.
Euphemia
resisted Lelouch's Geass to the bitter end, and in the last episode I just watched, just some random black knight resisted the little girl's Geass, too.

Breaking free is no mean feat, but resisting them is perfectly possible.

And Lelouch had EVERY opportunity to
save her
. She was on the floor. She was in heels. He's been shown to be fast enough to outrun CYBORG FUCKING JEREMIAH over some distances, so why couldn't he catch her? And beyond that,
killing her
was never at all necessary. Least of all at that moment, when she had no control nor even consciousness. He did it precisely to cover his tracks and clear his path.

He could have abducted her and come up with something after the fact, but that wasn't convenient for him. What's more is I still don't buy that Geass misfired. It does that exactly once in the entire show, and only in that exact situation. Either that's terrible writing or it never, ever misfired at all.

How is Lelouch any different from Gun x Sword's The Claw? The psycopath who murdered Van's wife as well as Ray's? Both have killed innocent people. Both claim to be working for the sake of a better world. Both put on friendly faces when around others. Both have no qualms with little people dying to get their better world built. Both have invited the men whose lives they've ruined to join them in their quest.

But the Claw looks remorseful the only time I've seen him kill. I can't say the same about Lelouch.

Expelled from Paradise news:

According to a recent interview with Urobuchi did for a french website, the movie is going to be full CGI.
It's being produced by the team at Toei Animation responsible for the recent Precure Endings. The original idea was apparently to make a full feature based around the techniques they learned with time.
Urobuchi also talks a little about how adventurous the project feels from a production standpoint, despite the fact that Cyborg009 already opened the road for that kind of work.
He was worried at first that the animation team wouldn't be able to produce a whole motion picture, but the staff was apparently able to convince him in the end.

Seronei

Shingeki no Kyojin is ridiculously good and I've only seen 6 episodes. Highly recommended.

Can't believe I'm actually watching 2 animes this season. Haven't followed any at all in years.

2010:

2011:

2012:
This is Gold stuff

Slayers 24

Man, Slyphiel really is WORST GIRL. I mean, Lina's casting a spell that, if done wrong, could destroy the world, and you INTERRUPT? You know, making it that much more likely the spell will go wrong? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU.

The spell will go wrong if you go all the way. The spell going wrong if not done right is not possible in this case.

-You have to be able to do the spell
-You have to know it
-You have to do the spell all the way

There are several other requirements that i won't spoil

It's like if you try to summon a giant beast but only open the door half way. you're not going to have a tiny monster as a result , you're going to have nothing if uninterrupted except maybe fatigue for the caster but that is above lina inverse since she is broken on that account.

JCG

He could have abducted her and come up with something after the fact, but that wasn't convenient for him.

Even if I can understand why he did it, at least from his point of view, Lelouch really is way too stubborn and self-centered to pick other options.

What's more is I still don't buy that Geass misfired. It does that exactly once in the entire show, and only in that exact situation. Either that's terrible writing or it never, ever misfired at all.

I do think it really was contrived writing going for extra WTF points, even if the context surrounding it isn't bad and does work out well in other ways.

EDIT:

How is Lelouch any different from Gun x Sword's The Claw?

This is actually a very interesting comparison, in more than one sense (both shows share their director)...but I'd rather say no more at this time.

Syrinx

Well I'm already at episode 6. What the hell, I'll just marathon it right now and be done with it. I've heard gripes of censorship lessening the experience. Is it okay if I'm watching it through Hulu?
That's how I watched it. I was fine, but I'm a tad squeamish about ultra violence in most things.

Narag

Watching it censored is fine. Uncensored is super gory but loses some tension and inadvertently ends up hilarious.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Even if the accidental trigger was stupid, there is foreshadowing in the circumstances, not the method. Lelouch seriously did want to ruin Euphemia's plans like an angry spoiled child, until less than a minute before the twist. But the real tragedy isn't the twist, it's how he chose to deal with the situation after she went crazy: killing her and exploiting it.
My problem with this interpretation of the Euphinator incident is that, for all its depiction of Lelouch as a ruthless bastard only caring for his own goals, the show quickly forgoes this aspect of his personality as soon as R2 starts and up until he gains ascension to the Britannian throne. The mood clash that show suffers from episode to episode prevents me from taking the consequences of that event any more seriously that had it been just another instance of Lelouch geassing a random individual. It's very manipulative, even if the context justifies it in some sense.

Then again, lol Geass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom