• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
I was watching Kino's Journey with some of my friends and 1,2, and 3 from Penguindrum.
they really liked Kino's Journey!

h5dEdPC.jpg

CorvoSol

Kiddy Grade 22

IT'S A GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM! Well okay more like a waaaaaaaay bigger giant robot, but I felt it was the only appropriate reaction.

The villain's plan is also basically to
terraform an already inhabited planet. That's probably gonna suck.
I can't help but feel like this isn't enough. It just seems like a grandiose distraction. Aren't the Nobles supposed to be the villains? And this guy just got kicked out!

Brutal. Well, I guess I can take Skanky McUgly as the final villain. OH WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT.
Diverger is Alv's MOTHER?
WHAT EVEN. Well, nevermind what I said about Ugly McBadFashionSense,
she died an interesting and apparently painful death.

OH SNAP THE HORSE MAN IS ACTUALLY
the little boy from the flashback!
OH SNAP NO IT'S BIGGER THAN THAT HE'S
HER SON!!!
Oh man these terrible fake french accents are the best thing. THE BEST THING.

Eclair, how do you NOT understand that this ship is proof that the Nobility were planning on doing something warlike? IT TURNS INTO A GIANT ROBOT. HALF THE SHIP ALONE GOES INTO MAKING SAID ROBOT'S GUN. THAT IS TALLER THAN A PLANET. How dense can you be?

YO HOW IS THAT EVEN A THING. GIRL GOT
EVAPORATED
AND NOW
SHE IS THE GIANT ROBOT?
HOOOOO BOY.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Team AnimeGAF easily overpowered the Jojo vote last year. I'd be more concerned that people genuinely enjoyed Attack on Titan more (which I guess could be true but unlikely).

The Attack on Titan thread is moving at roughly three times the speed that the JoJo thread moved. Granted, that could simply indicate that each episode is generating much more discussion per poster than JoJo rather than signifying a larger pool of viewers.

AnimeGAF's efforts to pimp Wolf Children to OT have largely failed. Perhaps there can be a renewed push if the BD releases in NA before the end of the year.

we could also just change the AotY rules to require a minimum number of votes in order for a ballot to be counted; 10/10 if we're truly evil and want to stack the deck.

If they cross over into next year the episode count and lack of closure could get them penalized.

It didn't hurt From the New World, and Space Dandy/KLK are guaranteed to have much wider exposure.

zeroshiki

what is this voting you all speak of and when does it happen?

Its the GAF Anime of the Year vote. We do it once a year around January. Its loads of fun especially around December/January when most people's opinions have been formed and they're starting to engage in weird campaigns (like BGBW with Kill Me Baby). We also like to engage in navel gazing and meta discussion regarding it from time to time.

AnimeGAF's efforts to pimp Wolf Children to OT have largely failed. Perhaps there can be a renewed push if the BD releases in NA before the end of the year.

I'm hoping for this and/or Oscar buzz (does it even still qualify?) to push the movie to non-anime GAF. Its still a struggle though.

OceanBlue

I agree with Mad Pierrot. I think Attack on Titan is way too popular for even most other series this year, much less a movie that aired in the beginning of the year like Wolf Children. I would be surprised if it weren't #1 unless the awful production issues turn everyone off, because I find it kinda hard to imagine more shows in the same year becoming as popular.

I personally think it's a shame because I don't think Attack on Titan is very good, but that's a personal aside.

Ezalc

Gun x Sword 25

How? HOW? How do they manage to make the Claw creepier EVERY episode? It's incredible! Astounding! Mind blowing!
I'm going to give you a present: I'm going to bring back your fiance!
This sick bastard has never even explained WHY he did it. I mean, I assume it was for the same reason he did Shino in, but we're never out and out told. He's just a sick, manipulative, patronizing gremlin who will stop at nothing to get what he wants.

And DAMN there's a some awesomeness goin' down in this episode. From the heroic revivals of Brownie and the Eldora Sol, to Metal Gear Joshua to One Shot Wendy to HACKING SAUDADE'S WINGS OFF IN TWO BLOWS.

And also
Carmen's second, and more honest admission of her feelings toward Van.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGH.

I'm glad you're enjoying this series. Only one more episode to go right? Have fun with the conclusion!

duckroll

Attack on Titan won't win for the same reason Sword Art Online didn't win. It's less of a Jojo thing where everyone who watches anime loves it because it's a throwback to an old classic. It's more of a Toonami thing where lots of people who probably don't watch anime, don't post in anime threads, and don't care about anime in general just find it really cool. If it's the only anime they watch, they're not even going to bother "voting" in an AOTY thread.

In the end raw popularity doesn't mean much in GAF's AOTY, there are many other factors.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It's at least a step up from last year to only be concerned about keeping a particular show out of the #1 spot and not out of the top ten altogether. We just barely fended off SAO and Chooney.

Hattori

Banned
Its the GAF Anime of the Year vote. We do it once a year around January. Its loads of fun especially around December/January when most people's opinions have been formed and they're starting to engage in weird campaigns (like BGBW with Kill Me Baby). We also like to engage in navel gazing and meta discussion regarding it from time to time.

sounds fun x)

<3Mikasa is the only saving grace for AoT for me personally

Ultimadrago

Attack on Titan won't win for the same reason Sword Art Online didn't win. It's less of a Jojo thing where everyone who watches anime loves it because it's a throwback to an old classic. It's more of a Toonami thing where lots of people who probably don't watch anime, don't post in anime threads, and don't care about anime in general just find it really cool. If it's the only anime they watch, they're not even going to bother "voting" in an AOTY thread.

In the end raw popularity doesn't mean much in GAF's AOTY, there are many other factors.

Yep.

OceanBlue

It's at least a step up from last year to only be concerned about keeping a particular show out of the #1 spot and not out of the top ten altogether. We just barely fended off SAO and Chooney.

Chuunibyou is going to participate this year too. ;)

Edit: Lol, I wonder if Free will make top 10.

zeroshiki

Awful production issues didn't turn people off Jojo so I wouldn't count on that.

Hey, maybe Space Dandy will split the lapsed people's vote. Or not. I'm actually quite confident that Attack on Titan will win this year because it seems like it has both AnimeGaf and non-AnimeGaf support. Doesn't mean its the correct choice.

I like Mad Pierrot's minimum ballot idea :lol

You saying Jojo is bad!? Jojo is way better than AoT!

Hardly.

CorvoSol

ZZ Gundam 20

LIES, Judau! Not all pizzas are round! Let me tell you of the square pizza future in which I live! Jeez, does Mr. Wong beat the crap out of every teenager he meets? I mean SERIOUSLY. You JUST met Judau and you take a swing at him? Between this and your purple suit, brah, I gotta ask what you're doing with your life. Meanwhile, Moechanic and Torres go on a date! Oh, those rascally teenagers and their teenage hijinks in the middle of a war when people are dying horrible deaths and their friends languish in prisons and hospitals!

Rascals, I tell ya.

Meanwhile, Mr. Gottn is totally not being a creep following them around or anything! Nope! Nothing suspicious about handing a child money and then following them into an alley, either! Oh, Gottn. Nothing creepy about the leer he just gave to the waitress, either.

Then Judau and Elle go to the bathroom together! They do covert things in there! And now Moechanic is left alone while Torres goes to mac on her better lookin' friend.

Really, Bright? You're gonna defend Beecha and Mondo? If it wasn't for the fact that I fully expect you to be genre savvy by now and know that all bratty teens on your ship are going to become ace pilots (unless they're Katz), then I'd agree Wong was right to sock you this time.

OceanBlue

Free probably will, but Im voting for Little witch goddamn Academia.
Because Sucy.

I don't know. How many Crunchyroll petition-signers have accounts on GAF? I'm willing to bet that it's not a lot, lol. I hope it's good enough that people will vote for it regardless, though. I'd never wish for a show to be bad. :D

I want to vote for LWA too just on the merits of its animation, but it's hard to say so early on in the year.

cajunator

Banned
I don't know. How many Crunchyroll petition-signers have accounts on GAF? I'm willing to bet that it's not a lot, lol. I hope it's good enough that people will vote for it regardless, though. I'd never wish for a show to be bad. :D

I want to vote for LWA too just on the merits of its animation, but it's hard to say so early on in the year.

Well it wins in my heart. It doesn't really matter if it wins a contest.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I have a feeling that Kill-la-Kill will underperform in the casual bloc in spite of the Gurren-Lagann associations simply by virtue of people being repulsed by the fact that it stars a schoolgirl in revealing clothing. You know, because that makes it a moe kawaii show for pedophiles.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
just looked up Kill la Kill, looks great. It's not that revealing though...

Never underestimate GAF's ability to sexualize something that isn't sexual, especially when it comes to uninformed outsider perspectives on anime.

I was watching Kino's Journey with some of my friends and 1,2, and 3 from Penguindrum.
they really liked Kino's Journey!
h5dEdPC.jpg

The fortress of solitude itself. Or kawaiitude. Whatever.

Yeah I can totally agree with this. I only just got into anime when Sword Art Online finished airing and someone pitched it to me and thought it was awesome shit.

Now, ehhhhhhhh. I still look favorably upon it because it got me into anime, but I don't think I could watch it again. Kinda like playing NES games with outdated controls.

Shingeki no Kyojin is just the same shit this season, but with slightly more action and real blood.

CorvoSol

Code Geass R2 19

SERIOUSLY NINA YOU
BUILT A NUCLEAR WEAPON, ARMED IT ON A UNIT IN A GUN FOR A FIGHT YOU KNEW WOULD BE TAKING PLACE IN A CITY YOU HAD LIVED, POPULATED WITH YOUR RACE, AND THEN YOU FUCKING ORDERED SUZAKU TO FIRE IT AT LEAST TWICE.
WHAT DID YOU EVEN FUCKING THINK WOULD HAPPEN YOU ADDLEPATED EYESORE?

Oh hey guys Lelouch is abandoning the Revolution again! Is this the fifth time or the twenty fifth? I don't remember. It isn't like he gives a damn about it. And in spite of the act, I remain unconvinced he
cared about Nunally. Like, ever. I maintain her only value to him was as someone to soothe his guilty conscience.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DIDN'T UNDERSTAND YOU INSIPID LITTLE ^&*()(*(&*^T^%!!!? YOU CONDUCTED A GODDAMN TEST IN WHICH YOU SAW WHAT WOULD HAPPEN. DON'T YOU DARE TRY TO BACK OUT OF THIS!

I swear, Lelouch can win. Do you hear me? Lelouch can WIN THIS WHOLE THING, and I won't care
that's a lie I will care and it will be bullshit
, just so long as I get to see Nina die. And it had better be a hilariously violent death at that. Like Denethor falling, flaming from the highest place in Gondor. That's what I want for her.

Does Rakshada even KNOW how to stand? I can't remember the last time I even saw her do that. "Kallen! Thank goodness you're back!" Yeah, no thanks to YOU lazy losers. What happened to "I promise I will save you!"?

Really, Sneasel? I'm supposed to believe that Lelouch was the man you loved and feared more than any other? Even though he was like, 11 the last time you saw him? And he paraded around in a dorky cape and got his ass handed to him by the King?

God, even Lelouch's ENEMIES exist to jack him off at this point. It really is Flit Asuno all over again.

OGIE IN DA HOUSE!!! Oh man, it is SO nice to see
Lelouch's entire team of defenders crumble because of what he did to Euphemia.
It really, really is. That said, that Lelouch's team leaders would so willingly discuss this IN FRONT of the enemy and so quickly bargain with them is just stupid. Almost as stupid as Sneasel's point: "What if his miracles were just a trick?" Proceeds to explain how Zero has a miraculous power. Ta-daaaa! Oh well, can't expect anything in this show to be well thought out anyway.

OH GODDAMMIT #ROLO, REALLY? Wait, what?
Since when does Geass effect the heart? Is that a thing? I feel like maaaaaybe the King of Quaker Oats brought this up, but I don't know.
Anybody else notice how #ROLO has been abusing his Geass power and it still hasn't misfired? Oh yeah because that's not a thing.

Ugh, if they go the
Suzaku is insane
route, I'm out.

Ezalc

The music in this show really is amazing. And while I love the Eldora Sol for being a not-even-ashamed-to-hide-it homage to GaoGaiGar, I actually think Vulcain is my favorite mech in the show. DAT LASER DEFLECTING CAPE.

I want all of them. Too bad only Vulcan and Dann actually got made though. I'd give anything for a El Dorado V figure :C just so I can play with it along with my gundams and shout ADIOS AMIGOOOOOOOOO!!! All the time.

Shergal

OH GODDAMMIT #ROLO, REALLY? Wait, what?
Since when does Geass effect the heart? Is that a thing? I feel like maaaaaybe the King of Quaker Oats brought this up, but I don't know.

IIRC,
Rolo was kinda like a failed experiment with the Geass, and using it makes his heart deteriorate, but that only happens to him. They explained it around the time all that shit with V.V happened.

Ugh, if they go the
Suzaku is insane
route, I'm out.

You can't get out at this point!

CorvoSol

I want all of them. Too bad only Vulcan and Dann actually got made though. I'd give anything for a El Dorado V figure :C just so I can play with it along with my gundams and shout ADIOS AMIGOOOOOOOOO!!! All the time.

I'd take a picture of it with GaoGaiGar and entitle it awkward family reunions.

FMP! Sigma 16

Merida island falls, and Tessa is nearly raped by Amalgam goons, until Melissa, still wearing her tie, shows up to save her. Tessa and what members of the crew that could be saved, escape. Mr. Kalinin does not. Meanwhile, Sousuke visits Jindai one last time to explain to the class what has really been going on, and to promise them that he will bring Kaname back.

I'm hoping for this and/or Oscar buzz (does it even still qualify?) to push the movie to non-anime GAF. Its still a struggle though.

I don't see why it couldn't qualify as long as it gets a week long theatrical run in the US before the end of the year. Here's to hoping it gets the Oscar nomination that Summer Wars tried to get back in 2010! It definitely deserves it.

JCG

The music in this show really is amazing. And while I love the Eldora Sol for being a not-even-ashamed-to-hide-it homage to GaoGaiGar, I actually think Vulcain is my favorite mech in the show. DAT LASER DEFLECTING CAPE.

Kotaro Nakagawa (the composer) really does rule.

Vulcain is pretty cool. It always reminds me a little of another robot from Xenogears for the original Playstation.

Code Geass R2 19

Ugh, if they go the
Suzaku is insane
route, I'm out.

Not exactly.
"Insane"
isn't really the word I'd use, but you can tell something inside him did break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom