• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

This is surprising. I've never seen the show but was under the impression it was generally really well-liked.

Kyousougiga is well liked too, look how that worked out for you !

Trigun is overrated as hell.

Oh.

I quite agree.

Naruto Shippuden
Opening: Actually think its pretty good. Problem is that it isn't as good as Silhouette. Bonus points for having Guy vs Madara though.
Ending: We couldn't protect his smile. An okay ending that just like with the opening, is not as good as the previous one.

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.

Smiling Madara-chan >>> another dose of NaruSaku wankfest.

New OP doesn't have Susano riding Kyubii so it's automatically better.

Shokugeki no Soma 03

Managed to ascend to serviceable level. Not sure whether to drop or not. -_-

Stardust Crusaders 39

Meh. The solution to the fight was about as mundane as it could be. The recap made me realise, I don't even quite remember why they're going after Dio in the first place.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sölf;160615288 said:
We have Gintama this season. So, by default, this season can't suck.

One show doesn't save a season, also Gintama has the investment problem at this point so its value is somewhat limited.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
You guys are nuts.

Sorry Cajun, I need more then the ascetical value of cuteness to impress my sensibilities. Whenever I find myself in here arguing about the quality of a season then I know it is a weak one because I am talking more about the season then the individual show. It has been mostly an amorphous blob of okay shows that do not inspire me with their averageness.

Thoraxes

Sound! Euphonium - 02

afffffffis7n.png

Another really fucking good episode!

- Yet again I need to mention how nostalgic this show feels. It really takes me back to my younger days in band. Makes me feel all warm and cozy with how nice it is.
- The choosing instruments as kids thing was hilarious. How they could give a little kid a flugel horn and a baritone but not have one euphonium player was funny.
- Getting shafted into an instrument choice because nobody else took it is basically my life story on how I got started with the french horn. The situation is totally realistic in every way lol. It happens to a lot of people.
- I loved the section leaders introductions and presentations. Somehow they made the character designs look exactly like they probably would in real life. Each instrument section and section leader has a specific vibe to them, and they nailed it in this show. People who have been in ensembles for a really long time can tell you all about this, and how each section totally fits an archetype. Everything from the outgoing personality of the low brass players, the smug nature of trumpet players, the cute but more modest clarinet players, queen-like flute players, etc... it all fits.

- The part about her not wanting to tell anyone she plays euphonium also hits home lol. If anyone knew she played an instrument that is in low population for an ensemble, she'd be stuck on it for life, whether she liked it or not.
- Love how the tuba-player had a 4-rotor tuba versus a piston tuba. These are typically played horizontally, opposed to beginner tubas which tend to be played upright. Also not too many beginners use the 4 rotor tubas.
- I love the talk about the ever-rare contrabass for a concert ensemble. There's only one slot, but it's damned near impossible to get orchestral players to join a wind ensemble/concert band unless they're being paid for it or are on scholarship.
- Those damn persistent section leaders lol

- I like that they mention the fact that she takes lessons. Not many people that play in a school band take that passion outside for lessons to go further unless it's by the will of their parents, typically.
- Her buying the wrong mouthpiece for trumpet and having to go through that discovery was hilarious. Even moreso because they both didn't tell her she bought the wrong one lol. There's a MASSIVE size difference between trumpet and tuba mouthpieces. It's also harder for beginners to have the tighter embouchure required for trumpet versus low brass instruments. It's why she had a much easier time buzzing with the tuba mouthpiece.
- I'm almost surprised they didn't mention the tickling sensation that occurs when your lips vibrate enough to play an instrument. (I can do a proper mouthpiece buzz and do pitches without a mouthpiece, is how much control I have over my embouchure)
- Tuba-kun~

- That traitorous bastard, trying to switch from horn to trombone. I hope they flay him alive.
- For those of you wondering why the word "fagott" appeared on screen (or fagotti), that's the bassoon. Oboe and fagott are together on that slide because they're both double-reed instruments. In band settings you'll typically hear bassoon as far as western practices go, but you'll hear fagott in orchestral settings just because a majority of the repertoire is European. Personally, I use bassoon in my orchestral pieces.
- Taki-sensei is one super nice, ridiculously flexible motherfucker. God damn. The way he addresses them is awesome.

- Aoi-chan falling out of love with her place in the ensemble was heart-breaking, especially the way she had to do that. It happens to a lot of people.
- The instrument visual quality is boner-inducing. Mother of god. Keys, solderings, bracket placements, mouthpieces, and just everything. Jesus.
- The embouchure are also pretty much spot-on. Lip placements, cheeks, face muscle direction, breathing and more. There is a painstaking amount of love and care into the animation/visuals and presentation of this series that I don't think a lot of people can appreciate if they haven't been exposed to a lot of this.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Crystal Episode 20:

SO who else even remembered this was coming out today? Anyway, this is a both a fairly important and a fairly boring episode since most of it is finally filling out the backstory of the arc as it is told matter o factly. This is however going to be a quite the shock for the people who only have the 1990s anime as a background because you will still the true extent to how changed so much was while at the same time being very similar.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Did I see that correctly, a 5¥ coin is now considered premium edition worthy? You can't even buy one penny sweet for that and yet it probably added $30 to the price tag.

We've hit the point where the random bits 'n' bobs have gone too far.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Shokugeki no soma 3
Lovely. I see they tone down the fanservice a bit, and boy all that HONEY!

SNAFU TOO 3

Hachiman need to stop being batman before he got himself in some deep shit. Yukinoshita big sis is such a tease.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Didnt even bother with that. Anime already gave me too much ping pong for a lifetime before that.

That is a rejection you make to your own detriment since Ping Pong isn't just about Ping Pong it is about the people who play Ping Pong and how they are some of the most interesting characters the medium has ever seen.

I think this season is pretty good for me, the only show I was hyped for that let me down was Ninja Slayer. Everything else has lived up to or exceeded my expectations which I'll admit wasn't much for Rin-ne and Seraph. its infinently better then the winter season which had a whopping 2 new shows that I gave a damn about. Its weird to consider continuations as part of the season so winter did get a bump from fall hold overs and Jojo coming back.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
67of6Rul.jpg

I think the more disturbing part of this is that she makes rubbery squeaking sounds. I'm sure there's a tentacle+latex fetishist somewhere. lol

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I think that is one thing that is elevating the WInter Season in the eyes of many and I agree with the sentiment, we had a lot of great shows continue from the Fall season. Spring is mostly a new beginning and is lacking the star power.

cajunator

Banned
That is a rejection you make to your own detriment since Ping Pong isn't just about Ping Pong it is about the people who play Ping Pong and how they are some of the most interesting characters the medium has ever seen.

I saw Ping pong club. That was enough for me.

I think that is one thing that is elevating the WInter Season in the eyes of many and I agree with the sentiment, we had a lot of great shows continue from the Fall season. Spring is mostly a new beginning and is lacking the star power.

Replacing the star power of Cross Ange is an impossible task.

Andrew J.

They seemed like fairly standard stock shounen/sports archetypes to me.

antibolo

Banned
After seeing the end of Dungeon 03 I was expecting Pixiv to get flooded by fanart of Hestia in that maid costume but it still hasn't happened yet, wtf

I guess people really do only care about that ribbon.

Finalow

Ninja Inferno Slayer

I see what they did there.

Amemiya delivering aoty material.

although I don't know if such long episodes are going to work too well.

wonzo

Banned
ninja slayer 1

ninjaslayer1.jpg

eps are too long but trigger just singlehandedly redeemed themselves after such long bouts of sheer mediocrity with this wonderful inferno cop 2.0

subarashii

Crocodile

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Stardust Crusaders "the past few episodes"

• The previous Hol Horse episodes were tense as fuck and the past Boingo epsiode was hilarious. Put them togehter though and you get a pretty mediocre encounter though. Given Hol Horse's prominence in both the old Capcom and recent Jojo Fighting games, the sense I got was that he was a big, reoccurring player in Part 3. He really didn't do much at all though. Also, how did his own bullets, which he controls, come back to hit him in the face? Wut? Because he was so focused on hitting Jotaro they hit the picture in the book? I feel that was kind of bullshit.
  • It looked like Boingo was going to get some legit character development but then Araki tanked it for an Iggy joke. LAME. Fuck Iggy.
  • Speaking of Iggy, the Petshop fight was awesome. One of the better ones of the series so far. Petshop was literally the Terminator in bird form. I'm just not sure one awesome fight is enough to make up for the fact that Iggy has been WORTHLESS for the past 15 or however many episodes though. I'm also not sure why they kept the style transition of Iggy from dog-face to man-face in the anime. It got super weird in the flashback. The anime should be FIXING the mistakes from the manga (starting and ending with man-face), not embracing them. Anyway, the pace and tension has been set so I'm looking forward the the next encounters.
  • Oh hey Kakoyin, I forgot you were a character in this show. Maybe you get to do something in Egypt besides job? I think what happened with both Kakoyin and Iggy (as well as Avdol before Egypt - or heck even in Egypt) is that Araki really isn't good about managing larger casts. Hopefully this improves in Part 4 and beyond.

cm osi

Snafu 2.03 - Well that was all kinds of uncomfortable. Great to see Yukis sister again though. Love her.

it gets even worse after, haruno is scary.

Oregairu S2 3

Best. Fucking. Show. This season.

Just saw Arslan episode 1+2.

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OH MY GOD THIS SHOWWWWWWWW

while i do agree, i've loved season and and i'm liking season 2, in the time between them i've read the novels and oh boy, it's not even close. it's (hachiman)^10. i don't blame the studio, you can't obviously make and anime on thoughts and monologues but they're really cutting corners

Bail out after episode 2

Best 2-part OVA ever if you see it that way

Yup. Need to get my thoughts together for episode 3 but these last 2 eps have been on fucking point.

Without a doubt. I already loved season 1 and am amazed how at much more I love Season 2. Pacing is just right and the drama, romance, and comedy balanced and timed well. Animation and character design is improved markedly over season 1 as well. Plus, I love the new OP!!!

Kikirin

Sound! Euphonium - 02

- Her buying the wrong mouthpiece for trumpet and having to go through that discovery was hilarious. Even moreso because they both didn't tell her she bought the wrong one lol. There's a MASSIVE size difference between trumpet and tuba mouthpieces. It's also harder for beginners to have the tighter embouchure required for trumpet versus low brass instruments. It's why she had a much easier time buzzing with the tuba mouthpiece.

Real talk, I ended up going for (and sticking with) clarinet through the end of high school since I couldn't get sounds out of the trumpet on instrument-trying day in elementary school.

Denpa Kyoushi 3
This show really is the worst. Besides the cancerous premise, it's incredibly poorly drawn and animated. miyazaki.gif

it is everything wrong with otaku fantasy culture. Not only that but for a bit WAY too long for it to be an homage they just rip off GTO, even the destroying the car jokes

Seraph of the End Episode 3
CC4S-Z3WYAAcayG.jpg

Yet another flawless episode, even with Shinoa's hilarious lines and delivery of such lines.

Like how they make the attacks look, like they are actually drawn with er crayons or something.

The music and sound has made many moments even creepier and scarier than they were in the manga. I kind of like it though it makes me shake during the episode, like when they were going down into the shrine area. Or even during the emotional backstory of Yu and Mika.
CC4WP0oWAAMI30_.jpg
CC4WZ8VWMAEEFxY.jpg

Everyone is still so close and friendly. I wonder if we will go an episode without them saying the friend word. I hope not, its what I like most about this series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom