• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think as long as people post with some common sense it wont be a problem.

I kinda doubt that. I mean, with Prison School and this Monster Girls thing coming soon, chances are somebody's gonna go over the line.

It's actually kinda frightening really. I mean, this may be a really silly thing to worry about, but part of me thinks that it might get so bad it'll actually be bannable just to talk about or post impressions of either of those shows.

This season sucks.

Now now, the good anime seeds are still growing!

I think that is one thing that is elevating the WInter Season in the eyes of many and I agree with the sentiment, we had a lot of great shows continue from the Fall season. Spring is mostly a new beginning and is lacking the star power.

I agree. There's no anime that's really been "hyped" by a lot of people for this season, so to speak (unless you count Nisekoi and that Food Wars show). Right now, all we have are seeds that have just started to poke through the ground and we're complaining that they're not trees yet. I think after a few more weeks, chances are we'll find something special among them.

Grow Plastic Memories seed! Groooooow!

Sound! Euphonium - 02

afffffffis7n.png

Another really fucking good episode!

- Yet again I need to mention how nostalgic this show feels. It really takes me back to my younger days in band. Makes me feel all warm and cozy with how nice it is.
- The choosing instruments as kids thing was hilarious. How they could give a little kid a flugel horn and a baritone but not have one euphonium player was funny.
- Getting shafted into an instrument choice because nobody else took it is basically my life story on how I got started with the french horn. The situation is totally realistic in every way lol. It happens to a lot of people.
- I loved the section leaders introductions and presentations. Somehow they made the character designs look exactly like they probably would in real life. Each instrument section and section leader has a specific vibe to them, and they nailed it in this show. People who have been in ensembles for a really long time can tell you all about this, and how each section totally fits an archetype. Everything from the outgoing personality of the low brass players, the smug nature of trumpet players, the cute but more modest clarinet players, queen-like flute players, etc... it all fits.

- The part about her not wanting to tell anyone she plays euphonium also hits home lol. If anyone knew she played an instrument that is in low population for an ensemble, she'd be stuck on it for life, whether she liked it or not.
- Love how the tuba-player had a 4-rotor tuba versus a piston tuba. These are typically played horizontally, opposed to beginner tubas which tend to be played upright. Also not too many beginners use the 4 rotor tubas.
- I love the talk about the ever-rare contrabass for a concert ensemble. There's only one slot, but it's damned near impossible to get orchestral players to join a wind ensemble/concert band unless they're being paid for it or are on scholarship.
- Those damn persistent section leaders lol

- I like that they mention the fact that she takes lessons. Not many people that play in a school band take that passion outside for lessons to go further unless it's by the will of their parents, typically.
- Her buying the wrong mouthpiece for trumpet and having to go through that discovery was hilarious. Even moreso because they both didn't tell her she bought the wrong one lol. There's a MASSIVE size difference between trumpet and tuba mouthpieces. It's also harder for beginners to have the tighter embouchure required for trumpet versus low brass instruments. It's why she had a much easier time buzzing with the tuba mouthpiece.
- I'm almost surprised they didn't mention the tickling sensation that occurs when your lips vibrate enough to play an instrument. (I can do a proper mouthpiece buzz and do pitches without a mouthpiece, is how much control I have over my embouchure)
- Tuba-kun~

- That traitorous bastard, trying to switch from horn to trombone. I hope they flay him alive.
- For those of you wondering why the word "fagott" appeared on screen (or fagotti), that's the bassoon. Oboe and fagott are together on that slide because they're both double-reed instruments. In band settings you'll typically hear bassoon as far as western practices go, but you'll hear fagott in orchestral settings just because a majority of the repertoire is European. Personally, I use bassoon in my orchestral pieces.
- Taki-sensei is one super nice, ridiculously flexible motherfucker. God damn. The way he addresses them is awesome.

- Aoi-chan falling out of love with her place in the ensemble was heart-breaking, especially the way she had to do that. It happens to a lot of people.
- The instrument visual quality is boner-inducing. Mother of god. Keys, solderings, bracket placements, mouthpieces, and just everything. Jesus.
- The embouchure are also pretty much spot-on. Lip placements, cheeks, face muscle direction, breathing and more. There is a painstaking amount of love and care into the animation/visuals and presentation of this series that I don't think a lot of people can appreciate if they haven't been exposed to a lot of this.

It is pretty ridiculous how much they got "right" with this show. Little sax love but I'll deal. I am sure there'll be an episode where they will be featured more prominently and I will enjoy how they show off the instrument(s) I used throughout school.

Strangely enough, this show makes me want to pick up my sax and start playing it again. (I haven't touched it in several years cause I live in an apartment and don't want to disturb my neighbors) But it makes me want to find a secluded place to play it.

Anyways, the show is pretty rad. Definitely a show I plan to watch all the way through. And to think this wasn't even on my radar as we were entering this season.

It could be worse. This time last year Black Bullet was the big topic of discussion in this thread.

On the flip side we were talking about Ping Pong and No Game No Life.

I agree. There's no anime that's really been "hyped" by a lot of people for this season, so to speak (unless you count Nisekoi and that Food Wars show). Right now, all we have are seeds that have just started to poke through the ground and we're complaining that they're not trees yet. I think after a few more weeks, chances are we'll find something special among them.

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works was pretty hyped. For good reason. SNAFU was hyped. Food Wars was pretty hyped. Nisekoi was pretty hyped. People were excited for quite a few shows this season. Some just weren't paying attention. :p

And just like any season some shows caught us off guard and surprised us like Plastic Memories and Sound Euphonium.

And just like any season some shows shit the bed like Triage X.

But I think all-in-all, this season has had better output then the winter 2015 season. Last season for me it was only Parasyte and Your Lie in April.

cajunator

Banned
I kinda doubt that. I mean, with Prison School and this Monster Girls thing coming soon, chances are somebody's gonna go over the line.

It's actually kinda frightening really. I mean, this may be a really silly thing to worry about, but part of me thinks that it might get so bad it'll actually be bannable just to talk about or post impressions of either of those shows.

Now now, the good anime seeds are still growing!

I will admit that the potential is high that MM will get out of hand at some point but lets stay hopeful.

Death Parade 9 Dub

If episode 8 and 9 of this were they're own stand alone OVA it might be the best animated thing I've seen in a long time. Everything built perfectly and the final answer given is how you should handle dark content in anime.

Danmachi ep 3
Well that was something surprising we don't see much often in rpg inspired style of shows....a hidden wall.

Hestia showing her best support of being the best girl of the show. Bell finally kick some major ass and starting his harem in effect right now.

oh and...
http://hestia.dance/

Holy shit that link, love it.

Danmachi ep 3

Great ep, and I just realized, Hestia is essentially Maiden in Black/Emerald Herald/Doll for Bell :D She updates her stats with his "XP" and he levels up. Man I wish the show would show his progression more like in the LN and Manga, giving just a number doesn't really tell the audience all that much

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO! Episode 3

I think Hikki makes the better points in this especially considering what comes after, while the others are just focusing on the wrong points.
Why wont Yukinon run anyway, sister seemed to bring up thebest solution, IMO

Oh well, at least got my Hikki and Hayama at a diner together (Master Donuts)

Also probably something everyone has done when meeting old friends.
CC4dGueW8AAgaZN.jpg

Midonin

Oregairu Too 03

Hopefully Ayaneru can bring some optimism to this show. Because the more he's called out on how destructive his methods are, the better. Yui was the one who spoke the truth last week - EM. PA. THY.

Re-Kan 03

Cooking with ghosts! This show is heartwarming in a different way from Yuki, but it's still heartwarming. And as I said, it does reflect the Japanese principle of living with nature. Hibiki's not trying to exorcise these ghosts - merely live with them and make their afterlife the best it can be.

Sailor Moon Crystal 20

Though similar to the 90s anime, there's quite a few differences, too. Esemeraude's fate, however, looks the same as it always is.

Sailor Moon Crystal 20

Mostly exposition to explain things to our dumb characters who couldn't put 2 and 2 together for half a season. I approve of Tuxedo Mask continuing to be a bad ass with La Smoking Bomba and do appreciate that fact Usagi acknowledges she's being dumb by getting jealous of her future daughter.

Seraph of the End 3

I think it's fair to say this is dumb shlock action anime and it's the kind of dumb shlock action anime I eat up. Pink haired girls speech about illicit sex was hilarious and our MC continues to seemingly always do the dumbest thing in a situation but not die due to sheer "IMMA KIL DA VAMPS!" spirit.

Denpa Kyoushi 3
Yikes in addition to introducing original content for some unknown reason, it is just drawn and animated poorly. The crowds weren't even moving and they were in most of the scenes. A few times, faces were pretty off.
This episode's original content wasn't as bad as last episode's changes but it's certainly skipping over a notable plot point

Clov

On the other hand we also had Ping Pong.

Not only Ping-Pong, but we also had a second season of Mushishi! Spring 2014 is a season that I can't imagine being beaten for a long time in terms of quality. I'd love to be proven wrong, of course!

RomCom SNAFU Too! 3
1429300952032.jpg

My reaction as Hachiman and Yukino were trading daggers all episode long

This is just a really sucky situation for everyone involved. This issue is going to come to a head. Hachiman seems to be jerked around a lot but the way he does things hurts other people. So it's like a vicious cycle that just feeds into itself.

PK Gaming

Sound! Euphonium - 02

afffffffis7n.png

There is a painstaking amount of love and care into the animation/visuals and presentation of this series that I don't think a lot of people can appreciate if they haven't been exposed to a lot of this.

I can't stress enough how much i'm enjoying your impressions. I'm having a good time with Euphonium, but your impressions retroactively make it more enjoyable.

Hesita the Animation 3: Bell-kun Edition
tumblr_nmz1v9Z8Uk1rbnx7io1_500.gif

Good job Bell-kun. You're not completely inept. Also the harem is expanding and the best girl (Tavern-chan) is just showing why she's best. Go, go Tavern-chan.

Seraph of the End - 03

It's pretty meh so far. The whole demon business just seems weird to me, but the mind tricks was neat.
I like the "painted" effects the demons and weapons/abilities have, it sort of stands out. Can't say I like any character so far but Shinoa.
Background Dump

Monogatari Second Season - ep 8
We time travel now. ep 5 was fantastic btw. On par with ep 12 from Bake.
But now it's back to loli shit. They can't help themselves.

Sword of The Stranger
Great movie. Story goes straight to the point, art, music and animation kicking ass. Really loved it.
Those fight scenes <3
Tobimaru <3

Blood : The Last Vampire
That was weak. Story hold on a sheet of toilet paper. Characters are boring as fuck. Seems logical, that movie is 40 minutes long.
Too bad, atmosphere and art were great.

Are Blood + and Blood C worth a watch?

CorvoSol

Blood+? eh

Blood-C? Definitely.

Blood C is a great show and one of the best entries on The List. One of THE reasons I wish people would remember it's not a List of "bad anime."

Blood C The Last Dark is an exercise in giving the audience what they wanted and depriving them of any satisfaction as you do it.

Narag

I have the exact opposite thoughts lol.
Blood + was good after you get past the very slow meh first 10 eps or so.
Blood-c was not enjoyable at all through the first 3 episodes I watched so I dropped it.

Blood C is a great show and one of the best entries on The List. One of THE reasons I wish people would remember it's not a List of "bad anime."

Blood C The Last Dark is an exercise in giving the audience what they wanted and depriving them of any satisfaction as you do it.

Corvo gets it.

Mature

I feel the same way.

But about ICE.

Vecks

Ore Monogatari 2

Love the background music. I normally don't pay attention to it in most shows, but this one really gets to me.

cajunator

Banned
Monogatari Second Season - ep 8
We time travel now. ep 5 was fantastic btw. On par with ep 12 from Bake.
But now it's back to loli shit. They can't help themselves.

Sword of The Stranger
Great movie. Story goes straight to the point, art, music and animation kicking ass. Really loved it.
Those fight scenes <3
Tobimaru <3

Blood : The Last Vampire
That was weak. Story hold on a sheet of toilet paper. Characters are boring as fuck. Seems logical, that movie is 40 minutes long.
Too bad, atmosphere and art were great.

Are Blood + and Blood C worth a watch?

Blood C is a must watch.

It's funny how there appears to be literally zero consensus on what this season is or isn't.

This season is mine.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So what we learn in the third episode of The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan is that no matter how many times Nagato re-writes the universe Kyon and Haruhi will always be a pair.

So basically we're looking at NTR the anime folks.

Syrinx

:p
I am sure plenty in here do, as in general my thoughts on stuff don't match many in this thread lol.

You legit have no idea what you missed out on with Blood-C.

Whether or not you pick it back up or end up liking it if you do is up to you, but you're sorely mistaken if you think it's just another show.

Midonin

High School DxD BorN 03

There exists a literary technique, known as bathos. The juxtaposition of the absurd and the epic, the lowbrow and the profound. Another reason why DxD works is because of how it excels in that. When it comes to fetish play, pushing down on a girls' nipples is actually fairly tame, as far as things go, yet to give it such fanfare and make Issei, the Hungarian Hornytail, power up into his Kamen Rider form, while also not trivilializing Koneko's situation and her betrayal in her sisters' eyes, is what gives this climax the emotional torque in both directions that it needs in order to resonate with the viewers.

There's no anime beneath analysis, and DxD knows how to use its writing to best achieve what it's looking for. The characters remain people you want to win, Issei never feels overpowered or overdouchey, the villains are a credible threat, everything just falls into place in a way that makes for satisfying, if somewhat sexually-minded, television.

zulux21

You legit have no idea what you missed out on with Blood-C.

Whether or not you pick it back up or end up liking it if you do is up to you, but you're sorely mistaken if you think it's just another show.

I might give it another try at some point, but the first couple episodes were super boring. It's not often when watching shows in english that I actually stop watching them, most of the time I just move them to the background if they are boring me, but I stoppedwith blood c. The plot/story was just terrible @_@ It was cheesy and quite predictable and not remotely in a good way :/

VRMN

So what we learn in the third episode of The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan is that no matter how many times Nagato re-writes the universe Kyon and Haruhi will always be a pair.

So basically we're looking at NTR the anime folks.
Hahahaha...no.

sonicmj1

Ok thanks for the advice. Blood C it is then.

What is The List?

The list is for shows that are entertaining, but not in a strictly... traditional sense.

For instance, Blood-C has good action, but it's a show you'll find much less frustrating if you don't take it too seriously. It's very dedicated to messing with and frustrating your expectations.

cajunator

Banned
I've been following this community for a while now and I still don't knot what The List is.

The List originally started as anime shows that are fundamentally bad but are redeemingly worth watching for entertainment value.
Code Geass is the gold standard. Other "classics" are BloodC, Arjuna, and Yami to Boshi. I think Cross Ange deserves to be on the list as well. However your mileage may vary and some things really shouldnt be listworthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom