• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Dog Days'' 1

Bunch of whatever that had the decency of looking pretty nice for TV animation.

Etotama 5

Filth.

Etotama 6

More filth.

Etotama 7

Recap episode so I could better understand all the filth I'd seen before.

Gugure! Kokkuri-san 1

One of my summer list entries is to give this a proper watch instead of bits & pieces and it's remarkable how the cruelest joke in the show is the existence of episode 1 being such a sweet, heartfelt episode that ends up not being representative of the series.

Show by Rock!! 6

Even a beach ep doesn't make up for the terrible drama leaking in.

Show by Rock!! 7

The show is rapidly approaching Dog Days S1 levels of drama malarky which is disappointing as the show is at its best when it's just everyone goofing off. Thank god for Shingancrimsonz saving this ep as they're apt to do. It doesn't bode well for Plasmagica when the supporting cast band is more engaging.

Strike Witches Operation Victory Arrow 2

I can't believe the hero of this episode was Erwin Rommel.

Now this is a GREAT idea.

Jarmel

Banned
It's fine when it's a natural fit to the storytelling. Kancolle ran into something similar where everyone's just goofing off for the most part, poi. Except for the girl that's emotionally crippled after her friend was sunk off the coast of W island. lol

It's hard to discuss without going in depths with spoilers but Show By Rock handles drama very well in the show.

Narag

It's hard to discuss without going in depths with spoilers but Show By Rock handles drama very well in the show.

Something to look forward to then. It really put me off from the week to week viewing when it started heading down that path as the safe bet is it typically being botched.

Jarmel

Banned
Something to look forward to then. It really put me off from the week to week viewing when it started heading down that path as the safe bet is it typically being botched.

I suppose I can say this, the show wraps up drama just as quickly as it pops up. It doesn't linger for multiple episodes and the show tries, and largely succeeds, in making the resolutions emotionally poignant.

Cornbread78

Me! The original LN was written by the same author as Outbreak Company's (he also wrote Chaika the Coffin Princess and Scrapped Princess), but that's only partially why I like it. It's so cartoony and fun.

And contains the only instance of claymation censoring you'll find in anime.

Lol, so Outbreak Company was made when he was sober and this was made when he was drunk and high as a kite from the Chronic, right? This is some crazy stuff, lol. But awesome..

cajunator

Banned
I sent it but you were probably lost in Idol world.

Never. You can choose from the following Tuesday options:
  • Takahata
  • Tatsunoko
  • Tezuka
  • Tomino
  • Toei
  • Top no Nerae!
  • Toriyama
  • Ryosuke Takahashi

I like Tsunako Tuesday
UvPLDzb.jpg

Clov

Got my BD set of Ping-Pong in today. Pretty impressed with it. Video quality seems pretty good from the two episodes I watched. Subtitles are white, as expected from Funimation. Much easier on the eyes than Sentai's. One odd thing I noticed is that the Japanese subtitles for the Mandarin dialogue are missing. The English subtitles are still there, so you can understand what they're saying, but the Japanese subtitles from the broadcast just aren't there. Not a big deal to me; just something different that I noticed.

Gatchman Crowds 2

Panda-kun is so adorable, pretending to hate Pandas. Hajime being Hajime with her carefree attitude still we see her actually help out with her collage group.

Was that a guy towards the end who had a blonde wig? He looked like a female.

Narag

Arslan-13
This animation is fucking terrible. Like IMS-tier. Is this production related or are the animators just this damn incompetent?

I could swear people were voicing concerns over the studio responsible spreading themselves too thin before it even aired.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
https://twitter.com/yoshi_xtsu/status/615759624872964096

YoshiYoshi@全力で未完成 ‏

Kekkai Sensen's finale has been postponed until further notice and a special will air in its place this week: http://kekkaisensen.com/news/index.html?id=n119 …

https://twitter.com/yoshi_xtsu/status/615759905409007617

YoshiYoshi@全力で未完成 ‏

The reason being that the finale is too long to air in a 30min slot.

PK Gaming

Gugure! Kokkuri-san 1

One of my summer list entries is to give this a proper watch instead of bits & pieces and it's remarkable how the cruelest joke in the show is the existence of episode 1 being such a sweet, heartfelt episode that ends up not being representative of the series.

Haha

It's like a gut punch that still hurts.

Hahahaha

duckroll

What the fuck? They went over 24 minutes? Did they accidentally make a movie or something?

Let's be honest. The real reason is probably that it isn't fucking done, and they decided that since it's not going to make it on air anyway, they might as well make it as long and crazy as they can. The series has already gone through several production delays! Lol.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem with the tentacles part in Soma along with the other ecchi scenes isn't just that it's very out of place and doesn't belong in a cooking show, it's also because it makes the show very difficult to recommend to others!

You end up having to stick with the whole "it gets better later" excuse while the person you recommended it to frowns at you with contempt! And for what reason? An over-emphasis on imagery about how much a girl didn't enjoy how something tasted when there are tons of different alternatives that could have been used?

You need better friends if they complain about Shokugeki just saying

Jarmel

Banned
Let's be honest. The real reason is probably that it isn't fucking done, and they decided that since it's not going to make it on air anyway, they might as well make it as long and crazy as they can. The series has already gone through several production delays! Lol.

That's so unlike BONES that I'm kinda surprised. I mean I could understand with AO as that was a mecha show and the final two episodes were OVA quality. Not to mention it was two episodes.

Just for the finale is weird unless this is Nakamura doing some out of this world cut that is eating untold amounts of time.

It seems like they would want to get this out to capitalize on the show's success but maybe they aren't worried about sales at this point and just would rather put out the best quality.

duckroll

That's so unlike BONES that I'm kinda surprised. I mean I could understand with AO as that was a mecha show and the final two episodes were OVA quality. Not to mention it was two episodes.

Just for the finale is weird unless this is Nakamura doing some out of this world cut that is eating untold amounts of time.

It seems like they would want to get this out to capitalize on the show's success but maybe they aren't worried about sales at this point and just would rather put out the best quality.

But why would this delay prevent them from capitalizing on anything? The TV broadcast is just a token marketing gesture at this point. They're not delaying any of the discs. The final volume won't be out until October anyway. The first volume is already the best selling series BONES has had in many years.

Jarmel

Banned
But why would this delay prevent them from capitalizing on anything? The TV broadcast is just a token marketing gesture at this point. They're not delaying any of the discs. The final volume won't be out until October anyway. The first volume is already the best selling series BONES has had in many years.

Well a strong finale could bolster BD sales, momentum and all that. This is a highly irregular case so I can't even say that a lack of an ending could also harm sales. Now we might be waiting potentially months for a conclusion and if the finale is mediocre, it could be lost in next season's mix.

This is so unusual for a popular show that I'm curious whether this will impact future sales.

ibyea

Banned
Gankutsuo, or The Count of Monte Cristo IN SPAAAACCCEEEEEE 13-24 End
So, I marathoned the last 12 episodes. Show is incredible. I know the concept of Count of Monte Cristo in space sounds silly, and I am pretty sure the part in which
Monte Cristo basically makes a pact with the devil, and taking the concept of being consumed by vengeance literally
was never in the source material, but that's fine because it works. Somehow it manages to combine the 18th/19th century landscape with a futuristic one without a hitch. One difference from the source that I think works very well is that the show is in Albert's perspective, and the Count's and his victim's history are a mystery and it is something that is pieced together as the show progress.

The visuals, while hard to get used to, there are moments that are so effective with it that I think it was a great fit. That part when they accessed the database, it was cool as hell. It also gives that oomph when things are falling apart for various characters. Unfortunately sometimes the CGI looks too gaudy to ignore.
I personally feel like it sort of ruined that mecha duel between the Count and Franz even if the scene was intense.

The show, once it gets going, is just a never ending pit of despair, holy crap. There is a sort of intensity and awe to the proceeding. As vile as the characters slowly being tortured are, one can't help but feel a sort of horror at the sort of actions Monte Cristo is taking. Ironically enough a lot of the terror is caused by people related to the victims themselves. The Count identifying the follies within them and all he has to do is just give one little push and everything just comes tumbling down as if it were the most natural thing in the world. Even without his scheming, his words, while charming, feels like there is a poison behind it. Paradoxically he is both comforting and sends chills up your spine. On top of that there is the horror that comes from the collateral damage, with people not involved in Dante's imprisonment suffering because of it. If there is one bright spot in the despair is that unlike their shitty parents, the kids are decent and are trying to be decent in horrible times.

While Monte Cristo is a great character, I would like to shine light on one other awesome character, Franz d'Epinay. Out of all the kids, he does the most out of anyone, trying to get to the bottom of the mystery of Monte Cristo and trying to confront the truth head on. He is also very likeable, remaining loyal to his best friends Eugene and Albert and just, gosh sometimes when things are despairing his actions somehow manages to put a measure of hope.
It's a shame he had to die, but he did so during one of the most epic moment of this character, when he sacrificed himself to save Albert's life.
He is one character that appealed to me personally, but they are all great characters.

There were a few elements I didn't like. There was Andrea, whose psychopathy borders on the cheesy, that one time rape was used as a cheap device and promptly forgotten,
father all of a sudden repenting after moments ago he attempted murder on both his wife and son, a hug literally defeating Gankutsuo
, little things that made certain parts a little cheesier than I would have liked.

I think overall it is an extremely solid show and a great, if bizarre adaptation of The Count of Monte Cristo.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CItOmHFVAAAfw48.png:large

rip prison school & ando shoujo, acquired by bigots

e: rip ero terrorist & ranpo too
Did the ghost of novid take over your soul?

Why is that cnet guy ranked above me? This is BS. I never should have tried to come back to an anime OT. You guys suck. Now I just want to stay away from these threads for a long time again. So long, bullies!
Despite your efforts you've never forced a full scale clamp down on this community.

Uh.... wut?
Remind us again why you've been banned? Posting NSFW material that's right.

People think there was no logic to that list and yet it was actually the work of three months work by 67 personnel.

someone greenlighted a second cour of ninja slayer? smh
Why wouldn't someone commission more of one of this year's top ten shows?

Proof that BGBW list will satisfy no ONE
It satisfies me!

The second was called Chronicles Of The Going Home Club, shortened in Japanese to K.K.K. (what an unfortunate name)
I only watched a couple of episodes before moving onnto the movie Patema Inverted, but it was a pleasure to watch as well.
It starts when the main girl with an absolutely magnificent ahoge
(seriously, look at that thing) doesnt want to sign up for a club so she jokingly puts "The going home club" except there actually is one!
Its another show with almost nothing going on, but a bit less crazy than Dfrag. It also has seals for some reason. I havent seen enough of this show to really judge its quality yet but a couple of episodes in, its a keeper too.
It was AotY for a good reason remember. Keep at it.

Dude being naked is never in place for cooking show at first place
Just image if it happened with Greg Wallace on Masterchef…

cajunator

Banned
Toradora Tuesday

This is a decent idea.

This weeks Blu-ray and DVD releases in the US for 06/30/15.
Blu-ray

DVD

*I think Gundam came out a while back but the press says 30th unless it's been updated since.
**A few Funimation titles were delayed until the 21st of July if I'm correct. these include:
  • BlazBlue Alter Memory: Complete Collection
  • Soul Eater Not!: Complete Collection
  • Tokyo Ravens: Part 2
  • .hack//G.U. Trilogy (DVD)
Let me know if I'm mistaken.

Hmmm..
I should be getting Lull in the Sea, My Little monster, and SAO2 sets all very soon.
I bought SAO2 for Sinon's sake and I will probably regret it but oh well I didnt despise S2 as much.

Did the ghost of novid take over your soul?

Despite your efforts you've never forced a full scale clamp down on this community.

Remind us again why you've been banned? Posting NSFW material that's right.

People think there was no logic to that list and yet it was actually the work of three months work by 67 personnel.

Why wouldn't someone commission more of one of this year's top ten shows?

It satisfies me!

It was AotY for a good reason remember. Keep at it.

Just image if it happened with Greg Wallace on Masterchef…

What did you like about the show in particular?

Witch Craft Works

Watch this show if you want:

-Fun characters.
-Stunning, fantastical visuals.
-Great action.
-Unlimited Cuties.

Hehee you tweeted this at me too
So WCW is the good one and MAgical Warfare is the holy shit dont watch it one right?

Thoraxes

Got my BD set of Ping-Pong in today. Pretty impressed with it. Video quality seems pretty good from the two episodes I watched. Subtitles are white, as expected from Funimation. Much easier on the eyes than Sentai's. One odd thing I noticed is that the Japanese subtitles for the Mandarin dialogue are missing. The English subtitles are still there, so you can understand what they're saying, but the Japanese subtitles from the broadcast just aren't there. Not a big deal to me; just something different that I noticed.
I was actually pretty surprised by the quality too. One of the better looking shows from them, though I think the color palette and art-style of the show definitely helps keep the IQ consistent.
Amagi Brilliant Park OVA

Finally, KyoAni's talents being put to good use!

i love when characters swap outfits

Dat Muse costume-choice got my heart going all doki doki

Your Lie in April 7-8 [REWATCH]

The imagery and the use of color and lighting make this show quite the visual treat. The piano sequences always sync up beautifully and are animated extremely well. It's fun to see Kousei in his younger days and see how his piano playing
changed the lives of the people who listened to it but conversely how it set him down this dark path
. Even though he has "rivals" they don't
work against him. They want him to do well to help further themselves and to "move" them again.
it's that kind of thing where, like I said before, make all the characters in the show really likable.

And now I am ready for the feels train. Awww yeah.

Sola 01-15

Well this is way better than Sora no Method(both are by Hisaya Naoki), though even after watched this show, i still don't know how can Sola voted as best anime of 2007 in Japan lol.
OP&ED is awesome btw.

Spring 2015 Preliminary First Volume Sales
Many show won't have data(or full data) til Thursday, since top 30 BD cut-off is 2.7k

17,626 Kekkai Sense
11,148 Yahari
*8,598 Show by Rock!
*6,555 Hibike! Euphonium
*5,957 Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic
*5,784 Owari no Seraph
*5,588 Sidonia no Kishi: Daikyuu Wakusei Seneki
*5,334 Funassyi no Funafunafuna Biyori
*5,275 Nisekoi:
*5,135 DanMachi
*2,853 Tesagure spin off
*2,142 Gunslinger Stratos
**,840 Re-Kan!
**,494 Etotama

Well damn, Show by Rock sold pretty good too, the Spring of Bones finally here.

Mandelbo

Spring 2015 Preliminary First Volume Sales
Many show won't have data(or full data) til Thursday, since top 30 BD cut-off is 2.7k

17,626 Kekkai Sense
11,148 Yahari
*8,598 Show by Rock!
*6,555 Hibike! Euphonium
*5,957 Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic
*5,784 Owari no Seraph
*5,588 Sidonia no Kishi: Daikyuu Wakusei Seneki
*5,334 Funassyi no Funafunafuna Biyori
*5,275 Nisekoi:
*5,135 DanMachi
*2,853 Tesagure spin off
*2,142 Gunslinger Stratos
**,840 Re-Kan!
**,494 Etotama

Well damn, Show by Rock sold pretty good too, the Spring of Bones finally here.

494 for Etotama :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom