• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZZ Gundam (End)

Overall not quite as good as Zeta or the MSG trilogy movies, but still decent, especially after the initial arc. Thought I would find the new cast better by the end, but Beecha was still terrible and Mondo only vaguely less. At least there wasn't any villain/rival is ineffectual and laughable as Jerid.

Just CCA left and I should be done with UC.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Just started to sub to funi this past season. So far I've had less problems with them then crunchyroll. Few things that would make there service better, syncing between app and website and an Apple TV app.

PUNCH LINE 12 END

That was a great ride. Loved this show but fuck the author for purposely leaving plotholes so you're more motivated to buy the fucking game to fill them and get the "true" ending. Thats just bullshit.

Some things weren't explained at all, which bothers me, but despite that what we got was still highly entertaining. SNAFU, Eupho and this show made spring 2015 a solid season for me.

Midonin

Holy Simulcasting, Batman!

Funimation just unleashed most of their shows.

Continuing from before:

Fairy Tail✓
One Piece
Ninja Slayer
Arslan
Otaku Teacher✓

And new for this season:

Snow White with the Red Hair
Rampo Kitan
Gangsta.
Seiyu’s Life✓
Bikini Warriors✓
Prison School
Hetalia: The World Twinkle
Aquarion Logos
Sky Wizards Academy (Kusen Madoshi)✓
Junjo Romantica 3
Overlord✓
Castle Town Dandelion✓
SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn’t Exist✓

Plus two they haven't announced yet.

(✓ are shows I'm personally watching.)

John Blade

ZZ Gundam (End)

Overall not quite as good as Zeta or the MSG trilogy movies, but still decent, especially after the initial arc. Thought I would find the new cast better by the end, but Beecha was still terrible and Mondo only vaguely less. At least there wasn't any villain/rival is ineffectual and laughable as Jerid.

Just CCA left and I should be done with UC.

Hope you like CCA. It's an okay movie when I watch it long ago.

/XX/

The Midnight Eye is closing, perhaps to let it rest for a little while, and its acute view will be sorely missed. The collaborators will individually continue, of course! If you are interested, please check out several of the essential features they provided on some of the Japanese animation roots (http://www.midnighteye.com/features/pioneers-of-japanese-animation-at-pifan-part-1/ & http://www.midnighteye.com/features/pioneers-of-japanese-animation-at-pifan-part-2/), for example.

Farewell, to the one that sees through history well.

The big surprise for me today is that Shindol is American.
And a very accessible author at that! You should see some of his nice responses to the e-mail correspondence we brewed in previous /a/ threads...

Holy Simulcasting, Batman!

Funimation just unleashed most of their shows.

Continuing from before:

Fairy Tail✓
One Piece
Ninja Slayer
Arslan
Otaku Teacher✓

And new for this season:

Snow White with the Red Hair
Rampo Kitan
Gangsta.
Seiyu’s Life✓
Bikini Warriors✓
Prison School
Hetalia: The World Twinkle
Aquarion Logos
Sky Wizards Academy (Kusen Madoshi)✓
Junjo Romantica 3
Overlord✓
Castle Town Dandelion✓
SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn’t Exist✓

Plus two they haven't announced yet.

(✓ are shows I'm personally watching.)

So Dragonball Supers and something else then I guess

Risette

A Good Citizen
And a very accessible author at that! You should see some of his nice responses to the e-mail correspondence we brewed in previous /a/ threads...
he's really responsive on twitter too. I sent him some questions about patreon rewards and he responded pretty quickly.

javac

This weeks Blu-ray and DVD releases in the US for 06/30/15.
Blu-ray
06/30/15
Magical Warfare: Complete Collection [Sentai]
Run Time: 300 min
Audio: Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 / English
Subtitles: English
Format: Single disc (1 BD)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $40.28
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $52.49
YJ66CvJm.jpg

Space Brothers: Collection 3 [Sentai]
Run Time: 300 min
Audio: Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
Format: Single-disc set (1 BD)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $42.94
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $44.99
JUBJBk8m.jpg

A Lull in the Sea (Nagi no Asukara) [NISA]
Run Time: 615 min
Audio: English / Japanese
Format: Five-disc set (3 BDs, 2 CDs)
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $134.99
2dZe3c8m.jpg

Soul Eater: Complete Collection (Premium Edition) [Funimation]
Run Time: 1275 min
Audio: English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1 / Japanese: Dolby TrueHD 2.0
Format: Six-disc set (6 BDs)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $74.79
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $86.99
3viznlHm.jpg

My Little Monster Premium Edition [NISA]
Run Time: 317 min
Audio: Japanese
Format: Four-disc set (2 BDs, 2 DVDs)
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $51.99
UpQ5hEdm.jpg

The Irregular at Magic Highschool: Volume 1 [Aniplex]
Run Time: 175 min
Format: Two-disc set (2 BDs)
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $69.98
oWut3Tfm.jpg

Sword Art Online II Volume 1: Phantom Bullet, Part 1 [Aniplex]
Run Time: 175 min
Audio: English / Japanese
Subtitles: English / Spanish
Format: Two-disc set (2 BDs) / Limited Edition Three-disc set (2 BDs, 1 CD)
Price: Standard Edition@ rightstuf.com: $69.98

Limited Edition@ rightstuf.com: $89.98
rHKElXBm.jpg

DVD
06/30/15
Turn A Gundam Part 1* [TRSI]
Run Time: 625 min
Format: Six-disc set (6 DVDs)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $34.99
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $33.49
HkCfagFm.jpg

Chi's New Address: Season 2 Collection [Discotek]
Run Time: 312 min
Format: Two-disc set (2 DVDs)
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $31.49
qSY2j3Tm.jpg

*I think Gundam came out a while back but the press says 30th unless it's been updated since.
**A few Funimation titles were delayed until the 21st of July if I'm correct. these include:
  • BlazBlue Alter Memory: Complete Collection
  • Soul Eater Not!: Complete Collection
  • Tokyo Ravens: Part 2
  • .hack//G.U. Trilogy (DVD)
Let me know if I'm mistaken.

Zephyx

can i suggest you the light novels? they're fast to read and they're on a whole different level than the anime. Like, for every spoken line there are 5-6 of hachiman monologue, and most of them were cut for obvious reason. if you have time, of course.

Already read it til 10.5. Waiting for Vol. 11 to be fan translated since I can't read Japanese. Thanks for the suggestion though.

cajunator

Banned
Over the weekend I was able to watch some of a couple of shows that have been on my bluray backlog a while.

DFrag 1-9

This show is really fun. Way way too much fun. Its about a "game creation club". I basically stopped watching only because it was 3 AM and we finished the first bluray.
Its literally about nothing, and manages to stay incredibly interesting and entertaining despite that. Roka is adorable on some level I cant accurately describe but she has a heel turn creepy/threatening side but the way they do that only makes her even cuter.
The supporting cast all have fun personalities and some really crazy things happen in that club room. Mostly the members just make up weird games to play and discuss videogames, but they get into all sorts of trouble in the meantime.
Heres a pic of Roka.

The second was called Chronicles Of The Going Home Club, shortened in Japanese to K.K.K. (what an unfortunate name)
I only watched a couple of episodes before moving onnto the movie Patema Inverted, but it was a pleasure to watch as well.
It starts when the main girl with an absolutely magnificent ahoge
(seriously, look at that thing) doesnt want to sign up for a club so she jokingly puts "The going home club" except there actually is one!
Its another show with almost nothing going on, but a bit less crazy than Dfrag. It also has seals for some reason. I havent seen enough of this show to really judge its quality yet but a couple of episodes in, its a keeper too.

Oh thats right. This came out on bluray!
I must have it ASAP!
It must look so gorgeous in HD.

Its exquisite. Howl's was my favorite in terms of visual splendor but SA might have edged it out.

Huh? Season 2 was the subpar one, season 3 is when it bounced back.

Ah ok, I might have confused them. I remember watching 3 seasons of it. 2 I really liked, one that was just meh. Its been a while.

Their video quality is pretty shite.

Ugh. That sucks. Ah well, maybe I wont renew next year.

They're player is just OK too.

yami4ct

When Marnie was There

I finally went and checked out the latest (and maybe, final) Studio Ghibli film. This is really a hard one to pin down. I really enjoyed Arriety, so I was expecting a similar fun little tale from Yonebayashi. What the film gave me instead was something far more introspective and sad.

At it's core, Marnie is a film about social anxiety. Since the film is seen through Anna's eyes, it comes off claustrophobic and depressing. Yonebayashi does a wonderful job isolating Anna in shots. It gives a real feeling of loneliness, even when she's among a crowd of people. We also get numerous shots of empty, vast and gorgeous landscapes. I loved the way this film looks in general, but that empty feeling is also why I couldn't really fully connect with it. Anna is such a depressing character and it's really difficult to be in her shoes for an entire film, even once she opens up after meeting Marnie.

The story as a whole is just fine. The major twist at the end works, but it honestly didn't have the huge emotional thrust I felt the film intended it to have. Overall, I really did like the film, but it's no more than the sum of its parts. It doesn't just cohere into a whole experience. I still feel like this and Arriety show a good bit of talent from Yonebayashi. I'm excited to see him develop more. He's yet to hit one out of the park, but I definitely think the potential is there.

Cross Game took a number of narrative cues from Adachi's other baseball manga: Touch, which was written during the eighties. Manga was written differently back then. You may call it predictable; I call it consistent writing. Not everything has to be laden with plot twists and red herrings to entertain an audience with short attention spans. Characters grow in Cross Game, both as human beings and as baseball players. That is the hook. Saying it isn't suitable for adults is a bit like saying Nintendo games are for children.

Yep. It was kind of bizarre reading a dismissal of Cross Game as a kids show. It's a well executed coming of age story that if anything is far more mature than most anime aimed at "adults."

Saprol

For the next OT, I request detailed guidelines of what is safe to post as an image, what can be linked with NSFW tag and what is just plainly forbidden because ToS is rather vague on those things and I've no clue where the lines are drawn.

Here's some friendly guidelines from our mighty Google revenue overlords: https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/4410771?hl=en&ref_topic=1271507

i got you:
Ep 1 airing in 1d 15h
This seems underwhelming after all that awful scrubbing through VNDB we did yesterday.

So Funi has my Gangsta moe anime, well that was guaranteed.

Though I'm really surprised they got Prison School of all things. I thought it wouldn't be their type of show, I guess I was wrong then.

Crocodile

Though I'm really surprised they got Prison School of all things. I thought it wouldn't be their type of show, I guess I was wrong then.

Does Funimation have a type of show? It seems they'll just gobble up anything they can :p

Midonin

Taking into account shows that CR has previous seasons of, that still leaves a good chunk of shows that might go to CR (quite a few of them shorts) and a few stragglers. I'm expecting nobody to pick up Symphogear GX, and Venus Project is kind of an oddity, being half anime and half variety show.

But good job on Funi for not delaying things and knocking out most of their lineup in one night.

cajunator

Banned
Its exquisite. Howl's was my favorite in terms of visual splendor but SA might have edged it out.

Ah ok, I might have confused them. I remember watching 3 seasons of it. 2 I really liked, one that was just meh. Its been a while.

Ugh. That sucks. Ah well, maybe I wont renew next year.

They're player is just OK too.

I cant wait until I have all my favorite Ghibli films in HD. that dream is fast becoming reality. It took a long time.

Well they had Unbreakable Machine Dolls and that was kind of ecchi.

Quasar

Does Funimation have a type of show? It seems they'll just gobble up anything they can :p

Whilst I never really looked closely, I somehow got the impression that high profile shonen-y kinds of shows would be the profile I'd ascribe to funimation. Not sure why. So Prison School seems like something I'd expect. Of course I would have expected Foodwars too.

Cornbread78

The Kawai Complex ep.10-END
tumblr_nq0kz8h6un1u304bxo1_500.gif

I'm glad they focused on the comedy with this one because the "romance" through the end was just blah... Also, the ending was really abrupt so there must be more source material for this series. However, it would actually be good to see more with this mostly adult cast because they were so much fun to watch. Overall, the show was fun to watch for the cast interactions throughout the series and really made you want to see more of it. I just wish they could have sped up or enhanced the romance part of the story, but oh well, maybe a season 2 will pop up and get deeper into that story..

So whats the order to watch Gatchaman Crowds? I just wanted to watch it since it seems AnimeGaf loves it, plus a season 2 is coming out as well.

Crocodile

Whilst I never really looked closely, I somehow got the impression that high profile shonen-y kinds of shows would be the profile I'd ascribe to funimation. Not sure why. So Prison School seems like something I'd expect. Of course I would have expected Foodwars too.

Pervy shows are probably what I would call their type.

Well, that and shounen battle stuff.

So their "type" of show are things American anime fans will actually buy? #Kappa

Quasar

So their "type" of show are things American anime fans will actually buy? #Kappa

And for the most part show's I'd normally avoid. Though that isn't completely true.

Of course now when they are simulcasting what half of the season its pretty hard for them to have a type.

Midonin

I'm hoping CR makes a few more announcements themselves soon. Hopefully for Chaos Dragon, that and Dandelion are the first full length shows for me.

Cornbread78

I'm hoping CR makes a few more announcements themselves soon. Hopefully for Chaos Dragon, that and Dandelion are the first full length shows for me.

Classroom Crisis, Charlotte, Monster Musume, Akagami No Shirayuki-hime, Himouto!, To LOVE-Ru:D2, Gate..

Could these make it to Crunchyroll?

Midonin

Classroom Crisis, Charlotte, Monster Musume, Akagami No Shirayuki-hime, Himouto!, To LOVE-Ru:D2, Gate..

Could these make it to Crunchyroll?
The first two already have, and Snow White is with Funi.

I, personally, wouldn't recommend Gate... but it has an audience. That's not me.

Squishy3

I would think Crunchyroll would be getting Insight considering they have the first series.

Kind of surprised we haven't gotten a PV for Insight yet and it airs in like 5 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom