• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

that's on you considering it has arguably the best animated fight in tv anime ever. I don't think a final battle has been more hype since Sword of the Stranger

It's funny because last week some troll said that Sword of the Stranger was nothing but outside of a few great action scenes. That description is more apt for One Punch Man. :p

Narag

If you think MHA its getting forgotten you are heavily underestimating its fanbase, the manga was modestly popular before the anime and its getting a nice boost from the anime.

Danmachi only had waifu power to get by, waifus rarely last. MHA has All Might
and our secret weapon, frog girl

Once it's not airing no one's going to care like most of the single cour shows we get. Anime fans have short memories.

Shergal

that's on you considering it has arguably the best animated fight in tv anime ever. I don't think a final battle has been more hype since Sword of the Stranger
I don't think it comes even close to some of the most well-animated fights in tv anime. I could name like 5 Naruto fights I like more, and I don't even watch Naruto!

duckroll

I'm more excited about my incoming shipment of two hardcover collections of the indie comic Fatale than I am for any anime airing this season. Anime is dead.

Meanwhile please check out these awesome comics by Ed Brubaker: https://imagecomics.com/creators/view/ed-brubaker

You might know him as the writer who created The Winter Soldier, and whose work on Captain America inspired and formed the foundation of the hit blockbusters Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and the upcoming Captain America: Civil War.

/shill

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Firehawk is right though. I mean, Hyouka managed to win AOTY, so it sure as hell managed to unite us to do -something-. Has shounen fighting trash ever won AOTY? I think not. Just like how comic garbage will never win Best Picture at the Oscars.
Then we shall declare that last year's AOTY Awards were a shame upon society and disqualify the results. It's the right thing to do.
I heart you duckroll.

Rainy

Banned
Flying Witch 3

This was good to watch after a stressful weekend of studying for my final tomorrow.

Her sister is pretty cool, hope we see more of her.

I got no problem with MHA being popular and I'm very happy for Horikoshi finally getting a successful series after a few cancellations (one of which had more potential than MHA imo). I just see very little that puts it above other consistent shounen series (and I've read/watched way too many of those) that to me are more worthy of that level of popularity.

Maybe if Bakugou was excised from the series, my opinion would be different. He really does bring the whole thing down.

Cornbread78

I think the nuance was lost on you.

I will not even try to deny that... I expected more from my man Oreki, we finally get it, then boom, it's taken right back. I think I was a little angry when I typed my reaction here, lol.

What more do you want? They shoehorned in the closure that people wanted, even though it was already implied since like the first episode. lol

I know, but still, just do it and let it fly, not that horrible cocktease ending, lol.

Jarmel

Banned
Honestly Baku isn't even needed in the manga. He doesn't serve any real role as Deku has multiple rivals and counterparts that already serve the rival role.

I got no problem with MHA being popular and I'm very happy for Horikoshi finally getting a successful series after a few cancellations (one of which had more potential than MHA imo). I just see very little that puts it above other consistent shounen series (and I've read/watched way too many of those) that to me are more worthy of that level of popularity.

Maybe if Bakugou was excised from the series, my opinion would be different. He really does bring the whole thing down.

MHA is good, but still has a long way to go to be called great. Its still a young series, after all. A lot can change for better or worse in one year or two.

Cornbread78

Can I just say how shocked I am at all this MHA hate right now when so many here were jumping up and down like lottery winners when the show was announced...

Jarmel

Banned
Can I just say how shocked I am at all this MHA hate right now when so many here were jumping up and down like lottery winners when the show was announced...

Different people.

I'm still fairly content with the show although the slow pacing and the one cour aspect is putting a damper on it. I don't think anyone expected the anime to be going this slowly.

Narag

Macross Δ 4
JhexENGl.png

Macross is back!

Russ T

Banned
I'm not exactly a fan of Bakugo, but I have to say I do find something refreshing about him when it comes to the shows I watch.

The kid is legit dangerous and has next to no redeeming qualities personality-wise whatsoever. He's an absolute ass to literally everybody around him, not just Deku. It's hard to remember any times where I didn't feel like he was gonna blow somebody up in a rage.

All this is because he wants to be overwhelmingly better than everyone else. That's it. No tragic past or anything. There's no foreshadowing to any pain he feels about what he does or anything.

I can't remember the last time I've seen a character like Bakugo be the kind of person he is without those traits in a effort to make him sympathetic.

Pretty sure there is in the manga. Bit of a flashback implying there's more to Deku and Bakugou's relationship. Guess they skipped it in the anime for time.

Fair enough. I don't expect you to like it much, though maybe you will after MHA considering it's like the opposite of it as far as super hero stories go.

I don't have a problem with the concept of My Hero Academia per se, but I'm not intrinsically interested in shounen battle training schools or in American-style superheroes, so I'd need good execution to keep me engaged. At least in the first episode of the anime, that execution was not there.

SalvaPot

Pretty sure there is in the manga. Bit of a flashback implying there's more to Deku and Bakugou's relationship. Guess they skipped it in the anime for time.

Huh? I am pretty sure Bakugou is just a jerk that wants to be the best while everyone else fails. He is the embodiment of this:
TmSdS.jpg

SalvaPot

I don't know what that is.

But I guarantee there's a flashback implying there's more to it!

There is one but there is much later in the story, I recall
it pretty much reinforces the idea that he just wants to be the very best.
Kinda like Gary Oak, but meaner.

I don't have a problem with the concept of My Hero Academia per se, but I'm not intrinsically interested in shounen battle training schools or in American-style superheroes, so I'd need good execution to keep me engaged. At least in the first episode of the anime, that execution was not there.

The execution was definitely there in episode 2, and it was episode 3 that made me binge-read the rest of the manga.

And it was the rest of the manga that made it one of my new favourite series.

Kuromukuro 2

The character animation isn't as impressive in this episode as it was in the first, which is not too surprising. What is surprising is how good the CG mecha action is. The modeling itself pales in comparison to Orange CG mecha models in Akito and the like, but the motion is well choreographed and the movement feels weighty. Being that the lack of weight is a common criticism of CG mecha, that's pretty good. The sound effects help a lot with this too. The footsteps of the mecha, the clashing of their swords - there's a heft and wideness to these sounds that helps create the illusion of these being powerful machines capable of intense destruction.

I like a lot of the elements being set up here - the fish out of the water nature of the awoken samurai (upon seeing modern skyscrapers he exclaims "What are these giant tombstones?), his dark past of failing to protect his princess, the quirky characters such as Yukina's mom continuing to be unable to remember to bring her phone with her, the mysterious alien threat. I'm very interested in seeing where this all goes.

Russ T

Banned
There is one but there is much later in the story, I recall
it pretty much reinforces the idea that he just wants to be the very best.
Kinda like Gary Oak, but meaner.

Yeah I just did a quick scan through the first few chapters and I didn't see what I was thinking of so I guess I made it up. It was some interaction contrasting the before and after of when Bakugou got his quirk. Dunno where I got that from.

I predict there's more to it than we're seeing though, otherwise Deku wouldn't be so obsessed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom