• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

Cranberry of the Iron Fortress 9

Oh man, this show manages to amaze me. I'm not sure what was the most jaw dropping moment in it. The machine gun the guy randomly pulled or the fact that the "special zombies" can be everything and they even shoot beams? I can't.

Wanderer5

Bungo Stray Dogs #10

MhHcHEB.gif

I couldn't help but crack up at that. Anyway pretty nice episode all the way through with some more amusing moments with Dazai and great action with Atsushi vs Ryunosuke.

And lol now we got a Fitzgerald with a Great Gatsby ability.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress #9

They're really going along fast lol. So that creature back in ep 5/6 must have been a former Kabaneri (but there were already some guesses on that). Also dat single sweat tear.:p

Line_HTX

Same. I left off at the comfy SOL episode.

What would you say?
Move on, cause I'm gone~ Now you're talking to a shadow.
Look there! People so scared. Hit your mark with every last arrow~
Be here, ready your spear~ The path you've got to follow
is more deadly each year. Their sins were paid in blood so go
Oh whoa-oh wha aaaoh~

But your avatar :p

I've represented Mumei well with all the RT's from the Kabaneri account.

:p

JCG

So it seems Kabaneri went full Resident Evil. I am neither surprised nor bothered by this.

Probably going to enjoy marathoning the whole thing later, unless the ending is weak.

JCG

Kabaneri-9

Local girl ruins everything. This is the Okouchi that wrote Code Geass.

All kidding aside, I am rather curious about why you would put it that way. It doesn't sound neither contextually nor structurally similar.

Nice. Too bad I don't have enough of a disposable budget to start collecting any of those at this time.

Fafner 14

I'm really liking the plot events that are going on - the shake-up of power, contrasting factions with contrasting philosophies on what humanity should be and do, the Festum starting to become characters in their own right. If the animation staff were skilled enough to create solid action, this could be great.

Jarmel

Banned
All kidding aside, I am rather curious about why you would put it that way. It doesn't sound neither contextually nor structurally similar.

The over the top plot twists (the damn monster shot energy beams out of its mouth), the theatrical speech at the end, the whole revenge for being betrayed component, and the villains being batshit insane in the most evil way possible.

Cornbread78

Mwuhahahaha...

My buddy just asked for an action rec on Hulu. Time for payback for him making me watch S1 of Freezing...

Future Diary and Elfen Lied will be watched by another victim...

In other news, he really like my Cross Ange rec, lol.

JCG

The over the top plot twists (the damn monster shot energy beams out of its mouth), the theatrical speech at the end, the whole revenge for being betrayed component, and the villains being batshit insane in the most evil way possible.

I suppose it's fair enough on the theatrical front. Tetsuro Araki also likes to portray that sort of material.

But an insane villain wanting to take revenge on those who wronged him seems...well, entirely typical for this type of show (or a JRPG). And I don't think introducing a new kind of powerful zombie is much of a plot twist either. They've already been coming up with other varieties.

Jarmel

Banned
I suppose it's fair enough on the theatrical front. Tetsuro Araki also likes to portray that sort of material.

But an insane villain wanting to take revenge on those who wronged him seems...well, entirely typical for this type of show (or a JRPG). And I don't think introducing a new kind of powerful zombie is much of a plot twist either. They've already been coming up with other varieties.

A prince, who was betrayed and disowned by his father, seeks revenge using the people around him as chess pieces in an attempt to overthrow the government. He uses those people by lying and emotionally manipulating them, while having little regard for their lives. Beiber is pretty much an evil Lelouch.

It's certainly not unique but it's definitely reminiscent of CG.

javac

I never thought that I’d be interested never mind enamored by an anime film about a bicycle race and yet Nasu: Summer in Andalusia, a 45 minute film directed by Kitarō Kōsaka had me on the edge of my seat at times and engaged the whole way through. It’s no surprise in hindsight; after all it was the first anime film to be selected for the Cannes Film Festival.

Nasu: Summer in Andalusia is a film that centers on the annual multiple stage bicycle race known as Vuelta a España, a real event that takes place every year mainly in Spain. The main character, Pepe Benengeli is participating in the race and as he gets ever closer to the finishing line his role in the race and his motivations for wanting to win become clearer as the story tracks back and forth between his position in the race and his family whom are watching the televised race at home.

What initially directed my attention towards Nasu was the man behind it, Kitarō Kōsaka a highly regarded key animator best known for his work on many of Studio Ghibli’s finest productions, from Nausicaa and Castle in the Sky all the way to Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away where he worked on both of those as supervising animation director. His contributions reach far and wide, from Royal Space Force and Akira to Angel’s Egg and Metropolis, his knack for having worked on some of the best and prolific animated films of recent memory is hard to ignore and so his extensive repertoire of work caught my attention quickly. A lot of his work covers many of Hayao Miyazaki’s Ghibli filmography with his last project being the 2013 feature film The Wind Rises. It’s no surprise that Kōsaka has worked on many of Miyazaki’s films as he’s confessed that he’s a huge fan of Miyazaki’s. In fact as a self-proclaimed cycling aficionado himself, Miyazaki was the one who actually recommend and persuaded Kōsaka to adapt the manga of which this film is based upon.
The tie to Studio Ghibli doesn’t end there however, as one of the greatest assets of this film is the lovely animation. At the start of the film the narrator makes note of the fact that the sky is clear with no clouds in sight and the blue sky juxtaposing with the tan colored desert is a pretty sight. A single grey tarmac road cuts through the desert and bits of green foliage grow in the distance. The film’s visuals do a fantastic job of depicting the intensity of the heat during the race.
Speaking of the race and what else the film does a terrific job of depicting, the race itself was riveting and also educational. It goes without saying that I’ve never watched a bicycle race in my life, even when the route for the Tour de France itself went through my town I never ventured forth, and yet this film educated me on the process of participating in a race like this a great deal. The best thing that this film does is the way in which it tells the story through actions and not words. You see the tactics being played out for themselves and it’s all framed beautifully in a way that makes it really clear even to the uninitiated. For example, the formations which the racers take are fascinating to see in action, for example the way in which competitors huddle together in order to help each other get through and combat the crosswinds is cool. What’s known as the peloton, the group of cyclists pack together in order to save their energy by riding close to one another and apparently the reduction in drag can be as much as 40%. The riders at the front of course face the most resistance and so a rotation takes place where the cyclists at the front move to the back and the others move forward. It’s an interesting synergy that I had never thought of, because although each racer is competing with one other, they also have to help each other out for their own benefit. The aerodynamic factors that have to be taken into consideration are huge and I find it utterly fascinating. The racers are in teams, each being distinguished by their distinct uniforms that are adorned in made up albeit realistic looking sponsors, so it’s easy to see which racer is which even from a distance. The character designs themselves are pretty distinct but it’s nice to be able to see an orange figure at the front of the pack even from far away and still know that’s the main character.
The cinematography in Nasu is effective in depicting the races and the formations. It’s an easy thing to make look boring and so it’s a testament that the film had me hooked right from the start because truth be told there’s not a lot of scenery to focus on. The race takes place as it would in the real world and so nothing otherworldly happens, and although you do get in-between the pack of riders and hear their tactics and plans, no foul play is at hand. The race is exactly that, a race across the desert and yet it’s still so interesting and fun to watch even when all they’re doing is riding across a straight stretch of road. The riders often look slow, being a long distanced race stamina and knowing when to attack and take charge is a key tactic and so although the whole race isn’t spent at hyper speed it never really feels like a slog either and when the speed does manage to pick up as they hurdle down a steep, meandering hill it really does feel dangerous and strenuous on the riders. A good job is done in making each and every frame interesting whilst depicting the scale of the race itself with some nice and effective aerial flyovers and panoramic views of the desert, showing how devoid of any shadows it truly is, and when you see a shadow it really stands out. It’s a well shot film and it looks flawless the whole way through.
Although this isn’t a Ghibli film, the attention to details is ghilbi-esque. Telemetries and onscreen graphics, not unlike those you’d see on TV while watching an actual race will often pop up depicting the position of the racers, their position, their current heartbeat and the distance between them and the peloton but also how far they have to go to the fishing line and it’s a smart way of keeping the audience up to date with the whereabouts of the main character whilst creating tension and keeping in tone with the race itself.
The audio is well executed, from the gusts of wind that you hear as the cyclists enter sharp turns and head down steep hills to the clanging of chains as the riders change gears to the constant commentary by the commentators, dictating each and every move by the riders really sets the tone. The sound of bicycles whizzing by in an otherwise silent scene with nothing but the panting of the cyclists there to break it up is weirdly exciting. The climax to the race is without a doubt an adrenaline fueled ride as everything culminates. There’s not much music in the film, but the music that does exist is used effectively, for example a scene in which nothing but the music can be heard as the main character nears to the finishing line only to abruptly stop to the sound of crowds cheering as the main character edges closer to a climatic last stretch is well executed and keeps the tension high.
I didn’t quite know what to expect going in but by the end I felt fully satisfied by what I had watched and for a film about a bicycle race it does a great job of developing its character, with an unexpected but well executed scene near the end that has a lot of heart. The movie was a genuine surprise that I recommend everybody to check out, no matter your interest in bicycle racing.

8/10

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist:B ep.22
Damn Winry, Edward is right, it's not worth it; stay pure my girl..

In other news,
Sloth clearly had his head chopped into 2, yet he regenerated I'm a matter of seconds/minutes
such garbage, even for a hommoculus.. Pretty powerful episode with the Scar backstory, the nasty sword fight at the beginning and poor, poor Winry...

Fafner 15

The digital work and mecha drawings are atrocious, but for all that Kazuki's moment of existential crisis was quite effective, with some quality direction and editing choices. As far as that goes, I actually think Ken Ootsuka's storyboard here was better than his storyboard for Aila's existential crisis in Gundam Build Fighters episode 21. I really liked how the reveal of the long teased backstory between Kazuki and Soshi was handled.

Your Lie in April Episode 4

Yeah, I'm gonna bow out of this one. It's not a bad show, but it feels at odds with itself. The interactions between characters alternate between genuinely human moments, and near bottom of the barrel anime humor. I could see the drama working for some people, but it's just not doing it for me.

As those screens remind me, Nasu: Summer in Andalusia has poor composite and color work typical of early digital anime, but otherwise it's a pretty solid film. The stylistic animation to bring out exaggerated intensity in motion towards the end of the race is pretty good.

Your Lie in April Episode 4

Yeah, I'm gonna bow out of this one. It's not a bad show, but it feels at odds with itself. The interactions between characters alternate between genuinely human moments, and near bottom of the barrel anime humor. I could see the drama working for some people, but it's just not doing it for me.

I would argue that that alternation is exactly what makes it a bad show! I'm still convinced that if the director had been more loose with the adaptation he could have made something good out of the material though.

Jarmel

Banned
So I was going through my Fafner images and it turns out I took some screencaps of the monologuing so people understand what hosanna and me were talking about yesterday.
Fafner 15

The digital work and mecha drawings are atrocious, but for all that Kazuki's moment of existential crisis was quite effective, with some quality direction and editing choices. As far as that goes, I actually think Ken Ootsuka's storyboard here was better than his storyboard for Aila's existential crisis in Gundam Build Fighters episode 21. I really liked how the reveal of the long teased backstory between Kazuki and Soshi was handled.

I was wondering if it was the original Fafner that had the cool art direction for the Kazuki flashbacks and it looks like that was the case.
I wasn't overly fond of the episode as it sorta reeked too much of Eva but the art style was fairly distinctive.

jonjonaug

Mwuhahahaha...

My buddy just asked for an action rec on Hulu. Time for payback for him making me watch S1 of Freezing...

Future Diary and Elfen Lied will be watched by another victim...

In other news, he really like my Cross Ange rec, lol.

Not sure if you could call him a victim. If your buddy unironically liked Cross Ange he'll probably like those other ones too.

javac

As those screens remind me, Nasu: Summer in Andalusia has poor composite and color work typical of early digital anime, but otherwise it's a pretty solid film. The stylistic animation to bring out exaggerated intensity in motion towards the end of the race is pretty good.
Yeah it's just one of those films that looks good in motion, I kept noticing things indicative of those early days of digital anime like you said but I didn't really mention it in my review because overall I liked the way it looked and despite its shortcomings it never hindered my enjoyment of both the story and the animation itself. I didn't expect much going in, so maybe that's why, plus it was 2003, that shit got the better of most anime of that era!

I would argue that that alternation is exactly what makes it a bad show! I'm still convinced that if the director had been more loose with the adaptation he could have made something good out of the material though.

I agree the sudden mood shifts are a problem, but not in of themselves. I think some of them actually work. (Granted I only watched 4 episodes, maybe they got worse. A lot of the humor related ones didn't work.) The problem is how many of them there are. So like you said, Your Lie in April actually has the problem of following the source material too well.

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist:B ep.23
5ca105e3bac28730c3ae302ee002bcfe.jpg

So, she's off again, but, as I thought, as she rode away on the train, she admitted to herself what had been hinted at the past couple episodes. The battle scars from the others are deep, as the traveling girl
lost her arm, but she survived
The plot is really starting to get heavy as well since they all now know that the
president is a hommoculus as well and the president knows Mustang, his assistant and Edward are figuring it all out.
From what Edward's father said a few episodes ago, something big is about to happen and
the President
is going to go on a killing spree..

I was wondering if it was the original Fafner that had the cool art direction for the Kazuki flashbacks and it looks like that was the case.

I wasn't overly fond of the episode as it sorta reeked too much of Eva but the art style was fairly distinctive.

I still haven't properly seen Eva, but I would argue that these surreal scenes of self-questioning are the sort of thing anime should imitate from it.

Kabaneri 09

Mumei... it only took you this many episodes to realize that something was wrong with Biba after what he put you and the others through. Alright.

Line_HTX

I agree the sudden mood shifts are a problem, but not in of themselves. I think some of them actually work. (Granted I only watched 4 episodes, maybe they got worse. A lot of the humor related ones didn't work.) The problem is how many of them there are. So like you said, Your Lie in April actually has the problem of following the source material too well.

Some of them work, but there were a handful too many of those whiplashes that significantly lessened the intended mood of the scene, especially near the halfway point. The dissonance grew to a point that I had to stop at the half.

Some of them work, but there were a handful too many of those whiplashes that significantly lessened the intended mood of the scene, especially near the halfway point. The dissonance grew to a point that I had to stop at the half.

I think the biggest problem with the mood shifts in Your Lie in April, as many people have pointed out, is that throwing in physical slapstick willy-nilly, much of it directed at the protagonist, when you're also trying to paint a picture of tragic child abuse with that protagonist - that's a really poor decision.

Cornbread78

Not sure if you could call him a victim. If your buddy unironically liked Cross Ange he'll probably like those other ones too.

True, he's not easily spooked, but maybe Elfen Lied can do it....

I also gave him Maken-Ki and Heaven's Lost Property, so it should balance out.

How haven't you seen EVA yet?

It's probably the biggest "How have you watched so much anime and not seen this?" thing I have. I saw two random episodes on Adult Swim back in the day - the one where Shinji walks in on Rei nude, and what must have been either the penultimate or last episode - I remember Shinji in a white void, text on screen, and suddenly he woke up in a harem show. That's all I remember. At any rate, I haven't felt like watching it up to now, but it is on my agenda to take care of sometime this year.

javac

Don't worry, we all have that one thing that we've yet to watch that's considered required viewing material. We'll all get around to it one day.

Tuck

Attack on Train - 9
Like the past few episodes, this would have been so much better if it weren't based around Mumei being a complete fucking idiot.

At least there was some good action...

jman2050

Yeah, recently came out on disc here in the US.

I wouldn't exactly call it required viewing though...

Yami to Boshi doesn't have the universal trainwreck appeal something like School Days or Code Geass has, it's more of an acquired taste.

I'd totally recommend it to people if bewilderment and that vague feeling you get when you aren't sure if logic and common sense are actually real things make for a pleasurable viewing experience.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So My Hero Academia is apparently actually doing bad in Japanese TV Ratings.

Can Worldwide popularity convince them to continue the show? Or will it being an advertisement for the manga make them continue the show?

They really fucked shit up with the pacing.

Can Worldwide popularity convince them to continue the show? Or will it being an advertisement for the manga make them continue the show?

IIRC Soma didn't do well either but still got a season 2.

Aki-at

Kabaneri - 9

I don't know what's more impressive, the fact that Biba managed to hide his super evil dealings all this time from Mumei, or how the scientist guy wielded a minigun like it was nothing.

Loving how much popcorn action there is in the show and getting pumped for the inevitable Ikoma vs Biba final fight. Though the amount of stills in this episode seemed more than previous ones.

Stuff like Big O and Sonic X (Though the latter was REALLY big for TMS) Western success brought them a second season.

Cornbread78

Crescent Love ep.8
yoake-mae-yori-ruriiro-na-crescent-love-episode-8.jpg

This is probably one of the most shoujo-e things I've watched, lol. So, with resolve, the
moon princess and the nobody human boy will battle through all the adversity that will come abd become one
but wait, there is yet another, faction that must prevent their potential
marriage
in order to save both planets/civilizations? Whoa, stop trying to ruin this sticky sweetness! ...

what was the last show that aired in that slot that didnt get a sequel though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom