• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

At the AnimeNEXT con coming up this weekend, Discotek will be having a panel on Sunday. Apparently they have a lot of new announcements they've saved up for it. I'm pretty excited to see what they have in store! Sevakis had been hyping it up on his twitter much earlier, saying that they managed to get something big, with the hints that this title (or titles) is pre-90s and that it's not Macross related. I wonder what they managed to grab? Maybe the Urusei Yatsura movies?

Gonna swing for the fences and hope they figured out the Gunbuster OVA rights issue.

Cornbread78

Nagasarete Airantou ep.8
SVlHpiZ.jpg

Ikuto, you really have to grow up and let the girls investigate you buddy. They just wanna see what a guy is made of... Funny episode with some silly hijinks going on with the giant bath. They are just curious, so you shouldn't make the girls mad by not allowing them to share a bath with you..

I'm caught up with all the shows I'm watching this season, but I wanna watch another episode of something. Twin Star Excorsists - Yea or Nah?

Moaradin

So My Hero Academia is apparently actually doing bad in Japanese TV Ratings.

Can Worldwide popularity convince them to continue the show? Or will it being an advertisement for the manga make them continue the show?

They really fucked shit up with the pacing.

I imagine it boosting the manga has more of an impact, and it has boosted sales quite a bit from what I can tell.

WarCraft

For a movie that took 10 years to make, came out 7 years too late and started at fucking Orcs and Humans it could've been way worse. It's no Battlefield Earth.

But is it worth watching if you don't care about World of Warcraft?

Fuck no. The novelty of the entire thing relies on the fact that a WarCraft movie actually came out in 2016.

"It's no Battlefield Earth" sounds to me like "Bad movie that isn't even so bad it's good. And there's no John Travolta. Meh."

Yeah but...orcs...Durotan looked cool...

edit: only reason its compared to battlefield earth is that one review that said it was as bad as BE

Mayoiga 6

Tried to hit me with that sad backstory crap, doesn't change a thing, kill em all I say. The fat guy is the only one worth a damn. he aint having none of this shit.

Line_HTX

Netoge 10

Am I watching a hybrid version of Danmachi or something? Like, the same type of names keep popping up, like Wallenstein Guild or whatever.

At this point, Ako is increasingly becoming a little unbearable with her whole clinginess. Man, even Nanako is more enjoyable even though she isn't around much.

Oh, Apricot. Not suited for PvP, lol.

"Mm-hmm."

cheesekao

Isn't that what matters though? It all comes down to the manga getting a major boost after the anime hits.
For the publishers, sure. However, if you personally made something that caused some other thing that you had no hand in to explode in popularity while what you made didn't do all too well, one might feel a little peeved.

Granted, it's known that many anime are used as advertisement for their source material so what I said probably doesn't really matter much in the grand scheme of things.

Squishy3

That's pretty short right? Considering how Part 3 was 50 episodes long.
We did some number crunching in the manga thread and we were able to get pretty close to crunching it down to 39 episodes. They've done a lot of no OP/ED already too so I can totally see it happening.

jgminto

Fuck no. The novelty of the entire thing relies on the fact that a WarCraft movie actually came out in 2016.

Yeah but...orcs...Durotan looked cool...

edit: only reason its compared to battlefield earth is that one review that said it was as bad as BE
I wonder if I'll enjoy it as someone who gets 100% of their Warcraft lore from Hearthstone. They should just ditch the trilogy and focus on the Overwatch animated series tie in instead.

Weird they're going the mahou shojo route, that PTRS-41 would be grand for knocking out most Barbarossa era German armour, certainly for the Pz III in the poster. Still the battle scenes seem good from the trailer, will be fascinating to see how/if they choose to deal with the einsatzgruppen and the 'anti-partisan' operations that killed so many civilians and were such a part of that war.

Edit: My mistake. 1940 is Operation Yellow so her having the PTRS-41 is just anachronistic (also French helmets in the trenches), well no hope of them trying much interesting here. Oh and the time travelling PTRS-41 will wreck all German armour of this era, mostly Pz. I & II with a sprinkling of IIIs and IVs.

Yeah, so she's French i guess.
Maybe that's why French lose so quick, spend time to create some Mahou Shoujo, not improve their tactics.

I mean; the French military put in a shit ton of work during both World Wars, probably more than any country on the Allies side of things. Maybe Mahou Shoujo were the reason.

jgminto

I guess it could be similar to Valkyria Chronicles in some ways. Hopefully mostly positive ones.
VC is clearly separated from a specific war. Even though the references are clear, the separation allows the mix of wartime struggles and light hearted antics to be more effective. I can't see a retelling of WWII with magical battle girls not being a tonal disaster.

We finally find out the real reason the French lost. They spent too much time making magical girls.

Anne Happy 10

You know I wasn't expecting a festival episode but I was down with it. Hibiki finally got that kiss too! Sort of!

VC is clearly separated from a specific war. Even though the references are clear, the separation allows the mix of wartime struggles and light hearted antics to be more effective. I can't see a retelling of WWII with magical battle girls not being a tonal disaster.

Just because it involves a magical girl doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be light-hearted in any significant way - certainly that trailer doesn't give any indication that it will be.

Jintor

if it helps ease your mind just replace 'magical girl' with 'individual with mysterious powers'

by the same metric superheroes and wars can go a bunch of different ways.

Just because it involves a magical girl doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be light-hearted in any significant way - certainly that trailer doesn't give any indication that it will be.

Yeah the PV definitely has a more serious vibe but we all know that doesn't preclude wacky elements. I'm cautiously hopeful but I'm also fully prepared for an anime where I get awesome battle scenes and terrible everything else

A magical girl anime set in WWII does sound like a neat new concept, and I don't think you can really make a story about WWII all that light-hearted.

However, I'm looking forward to Flip Flappers more than this. That show looks like to be an actual light-hearted magical girl adventure show not based off a LN, and those kinds of shows aren't made all that often nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom