• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

AL0rIL4.jpg

not like this

Seriously, art direction seems to clash badly at times.

duckroll

Berserk still looks iffy. The character faces all look kinda off, like they've been simplified but it looks wrong somehow. There's this Fujiko style shading filter being applied which looks kinda bad too. In 1:25 of the trailer you can also see boobs without nipples. I sure hope this isn't an indication of what to expect from the actual show...

blurr

never got around to it, why? it's on the great list

I remember you were asking about anime with a teacher as a protagonist, this is one of those albeit it is not what you'd call a grounded drama. It's a comedy but with very moving moments and strong themes. It's been an influential show for me.

Why are you weird people calling that show a "magical girl" show? Is Ghost in the Shell a cyberpunk magical girl show? :p

Well, the poster has a girl in a dress holding a weapon, and the PV seems to indicate that she has magical powers, so I'd say magical girl would be an apt description.

jgminto

Just because it involves a magical girl doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be light-hearted in any significant way - certainly that trailer doesn't give any indication that it will be.
That's true, but I also think it's unlikely that they could successfully create a serious plot about a Magical Girl fighting in literally WWII either.

duckroll

Well, the poster has a girl in a dress holding a weapon, and the PV seems to indicate that she has magical powers, so I'd say magical girl would be an apt description.

??????????????????

I didn't get any of that from the trailer. It looks like a typical "secret military weapon" show. If the show is about magic, why would she be coming out a scifi capsule thing?

Jintor

why would the capsule make weird chime noises and draw in latent CG energy from the world? even if it's tech it looks like super-robot level tech which may as well be magic anyway

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Berserk still looks iffy. The character faces all look kinda off, like they've been simplified but it looks wrong somehow. There's this Fujiko style shading filter being applied which looks kinda bad too. In 1:25 of the trailer you can also see boobs without nipples. I sure hope this isn't an indication of what to expect from the actual show...
Full color with very little lighting. The filter is almost used as a substitute for that and as a lousy self-shadow tool, which is done so poorly that you have to wonder if it was just sloppily applied manually. It's pretty silly, particularly when the effect is not uniform. I don't think they know what to do with the filter on detailed CG surfaces either, so you see stuff like the monsters and metallic surfaces being ignored completely. I don't know if this is better or worse but you see remedial traditional self-shadowing mixed with the filter without any real logic or technique. Confusing.

??????????????????

I didn't get any of that from the trailer. It looks like a typical "secret military weapon" show. If the show is about magic, why would she be coming out a scifi capsule thing?

Uh, because maybe she can do magic and that makes her a valuable war asset?

I don't know, the way the poster looks just makes the show give me Madoka Magica vibes for some reason! >_<

Why are you weird people calling that show a "magical girl" show? Is Ghost in the Shell a cyberpunk magical girl show? :p

True, we can't truly call it magical girl until we see a transformation scene.

That's true, but I also think it's unlikely that they could successfully create a serious plot about a Magical Girl fighting in literally WWII either.

You never know. Joker Game failed at creating a serious plot about World War II even without the presence of magical girls!

Shounen Maid 4

This episode featured notably good direction, a notch above the usual in utilizing lighting and framing meaningfully. The first half in particular was pleasantly heartwarming, with a simple sincerity in portraying Madoka's outlook on the world. Moments like those feel close in spirit to the director's previous work on Yama no Susume.

If you want a WWII anime just make Dad's Army with cute girls.

Dammit you're right Dad's Army is basically a live action anime with old men, the daft scenarios, the one note joke supporting cast, the total lack of actual threat from the war, it's anime all the way down!

Cornbread78

Sounds like Guilty Crown. Oh another Magical Girl show!!!!!!

SMkSLnf.gif

See, she transforms..... She is a magical girl...

Yeah know, I just got over how pissed the second half of that show made me. They ruined so much by having a nonsense plot, not finishing the plot, asspull after asspull, regressive character development, regressive relationship development and did I mention complete and utter nonsense plot? It was all right there to be pretty good, then the director went on a peyote binge and forgot what world he was in and what world he was creating....

Oh, I almost forgot, the music was absolutely great for the show..

But if the witch is French then why is the title in German?

Oh god that would be hilarious if Izette was the charging spirit of Blitzkreig. My money is 'German sounds cooler' though even if 'Izette le dernier sorciere' is still pretty cool by my reckoning (feel free to correct me actual french speakers on here).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom