• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aki-at

Steins;Gate - 20

The concluding moment where
Okabe realises that Kurisu must die
hit hard. I'm liking how the second half of the series revolves around
each characters backstory in relation to the dmail that has an effect on their timeline.

England 1 - 1 Russia
Real bad writing and directing tbh.

I loved the twist at the end though! ;:^ )

jman2050

Kiznaiver 10

Yo that last scene was just brilliant, Okadabot's power when used for good and not destruction can be truly frightening.

HIsomu and Nico are being true bros, Tenga has no idea what to do with himself, and Chidori's salt levels still rival that of an FGC tournament.
Sucks to be Nori-chan though. I'm starting to doubt that the original purpose of the Kizna experiment even matters anymore, this is probably all about finding a way to fix Nori and maybe the other children as well.

T-Rex.

Banned
I loved the twist at the end though! ;:^ )
W09CYCX.jpg
lmao, England gonna England ;_;

Wanderer5

Flying Witch #10

Them finger cookies. Also stop making me hungry!

Lol Akane. Ha ha you gotta watch where you're going-*Whack* And course Ninja Witch, yeah sure.:p

I sad this season is getting close to its end.=(

Lost Village #11

Meh was mostly pretty boring this week, through lol at the fire arrows not really burning the place down.XD The part with the bus guy wasn't that bad either.

Kiznaiver 10

An episode in which we see Katsuhira take complete action and seeking answers. And then that ending... Remember how one day I brought up SNAFU, and how someone mentioned the "genuine" moment? THIS today, right here and now hit me even harder. There was no humour, no punchline. Just unfairness and complete sadness. And what made it even more impactful was the final reaction.
Katsuhira's cry gave me goosebumps.

This show is on another level.

Tanaka-kun 10

Coming off of Kiznaiver this bit of more lighthearted banter was great to lift my mood up. WacDonalds girl made an appearance again too! Firework festivals are always fun to watch, even more so with these characters so that was nice.

jgminto

Tanaka-kun 10
Ahhhh I love summer episodes, the warm visuals, the buzz of cicadas, it's so relaxing. Tanaka spreading his listless floating to a younger generation was a fun moment.

Narag

Damnit, really? And here I thought this would be the first time in a long long time that I've seen an anime finish with 26 episodes.

They're running out of stuff to wrap up since they've been so aggressive at answering the questions the first cour asked.. All that was left before this week was Kikko/Emi/Jiro, Satomi, and Master Ultima. Maybe Judas or Psykicker stuff but they've been largely absent this cour. Master Ultima was resolved and the other two should wrap up the show.

Berserk 1

With all the hubbub over the new TV anime coming soon, I decided it was time to try my hand at the original. I can't believe there are people who think this looks bad. Sure, there's copious use of stills in action scenes, but they're very good stills - a lot of Dezaki-esque postcards - and used in a stylistically appropriate manner. The oppressive atmosphere is almost unbearable.

We've started in medias res, and between that and the lone fighter out for blood this reminds me of the first episode of Gungrave. Only the medieval fantasy setting here works a lot better than the science-fiction silliness of Gungrave. The bar scene in particular was strongly reminiscent of an early bar scene in The Witcher 3. The two works are clearly cut from the same dark fantasy cloth.

Endride Episode 11
CksZGAnWsAA5Jza.jpg

This moment alone made it a fantastic episode. I have to keep rewatching, that Shun face.

TWIST: I thought Louise was only joking at that part, but she was seriously all about the money and everything? I had never thought of there being a traitor and thought the Zoozian Delzine group was just lucky. Ugh.

Im going to also think Delzine made a promise to take care of Emilio or something and also that he isn't "evil"

Berserk 1

With all the hubbub over the new TV anime coming soon, I decided it was time to try my hand at the original. I can't believe there are people who think this looks bad. Sure, there's copious use of stills in action scenes, but they're very good stills - a lot of Dezaki-esque postcards - and used in a stylistically appropriate manner. The oppressive atmosphere is almost unbearable.

We've started in medias res, and between that and the lone fighter out for blood this reminds me of the first episode of Gungrave. Only the medieval fantasy setting here works a lot better than the science-fiction silliness of Gungrave. The bar scene in particular was strongly reminiscent of an early bar scene in The Witcher 3. The two works are clearly cut from the same dark fantasy cloth.

I have zero clue why the Berserk TV series is lumped in with the Movies as being a disappointment. It's such a great series.

It seems Re:Zero is doing really well on Amazon stalker points. First Vol probably has a chance of selling 10K if not more.

To think it only took 8-9 episodes to do it. Based Maids lol.

I have zero clue why the Berserk TV series is lumped in with the Movies as being a disappointment. It's such a great series.

I don't know why the movies are called a disappointment CG aside, I thought they did a more than acceptable job of adapting a long ass arc into three films, with better action scenes than anything in the tv series.

Plus Skull Knight who gives me the hots

Quasar

I don't know why the movies are called a disappointment CG aside, I thought they did a more than acceptable job of adapting a long ass arc into three films, with better action scenes than anything in the tv series.

Plus Skull Knight who gives me the hots

The only Beserk I've seen is film 1. It seemed fine to me for older content. Annoyed me that netflix did not have the others. I mean to watch the old show at some point, now that animelab has it.

Jintor

Luluco 11

what a nice breather ep. Really effective use of a calming period after the madness of... well, the entire series.

I laughed really hard at the eating gag

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist:B ep.27
Now this is how review episodes should be done. I was lost a little at first, but I like how theyou mixed in the review alongside the reveal of the mastermind.... that bastard.. Should be interesting to see how it plays out once Edward and Al find out what a piece of shit he really is above what they already feel/know.....

Russ T

Banned
also season 2 of log horizon got uninteresting since they focused less on economics and Shiroe being a manipulative badass and instead opted to do raids and the misadventures of the kiddie who gives a fuck

The kiddie shit was relatively lame, I won't argue with you there. Also the whole "love triangle" thing is... well, borderline creepy, tbh.

But that raid speech by William Massachusetts was at once the most sad and most sincere and most real and most epic speech I've ever heard about what it's like to be part of a hardcore raiding guild in an MMO. Overall I definitely prefer the economics/Shiroe-being-a-manipulative-badass angle, but that'll always be one of my favorite moments in the series.

Also the princess stuff wasn't too bad either, much to my surprise.

I'd watch the hell out of a season three. ):

The kiddie shit was relatively lame, I won't argue with you there. Also the whole "love triangle" thing is... well, borderline creepy, tbh.

But that raid speech by William Massachusetts was at once the most sad and most sincere and most real and most epic speech I've ever heard about what it's like to be part of a hardcore raiding guild in an MMO. Overall I definitely prefer the economics/Shiroe-being-a-manipulative-badass angle, but that'll always be one of my favorite moments in the series.

Also the princess stuff wasn't too bad either, much to my surprise.

I'd watch the hell out of a season three. ):

Really/ Tohya's squad was the best part of the series. Do people really want to focus on an ultra powerful high leveled lead in an ultra serious series like this instead of the younger generation rising to their best?

Clov

Yeah, I liked it much better than the films. A lot of people take issue with how it ended, but I was fine with it. The whole anime really serves to answer the question of
how Guts got to the point he's at in the first episode.
It does more than a good enough job at doing that, and while that may not be enough for diehard fans of the manga, it was fine for me.

Really/ Tohya's squad was the best part of the series. Do people really want to focus on an ultra powerful high leveled lead in an ultra serious series like this instead of the younger generation rising to their best?

i don't care about another story of a group of kawaii kids getting good at shit.

And the appeal here was that he was smart, not necessarily the strongest guy ever.

I just watched the latest Kabaneri episode...What the fuck was that?

There are so many stupid leaps in logic this episode that my head nearly exploded. The most egregious thing being this:

How did he cut that giant cable with a knife on a motorcycle from that far away? How was he not clotheslined by the force? Is it made out of licorice? No wonder humanity is almost extinct, we've got gingerbread forts and licorice draw bridges.

I just watched the latest Kabaneri episode...What the fuck was that?

There are so many stupid leaps in logic this episode that my head nearly exploded. The most egregious thing being this:

How did he cut that giant cable with a knife on a motorcycle from that far away? How was he not clotheslined by the force? Is it made out of licorice? No wonder humanity is almost extinct, we've got gingerbread forts and licorice draw bridges.

It's a high frequency knife.

Flying Witch 10

Seeing Nao learning to cook was way too funny ahahah. This episode also taught me that microwaving an onion before cutting it won't make you cry. Anime folks.

This show is so peaceful though. I hope we get something like this next season.

JulianImp

i don't care about another story of a group of kawaii kids getting good at shit.

And the appeal here was that he was smart, not necessarily the strongest guy ever.

This. Having them around was okay (and even prompted the Rundelhaus experiment, which was fairly cool), but focusing on them for a whole arc resulted in lots of downright insufferable episodes. I wouldn't complain if they were actually interesting characters, but neither their backgrounds nor the character development they went through resonated with me at all, and two of them supposedly being little girls infatuated with older characters certainly didn't help, either.

Shiroe's part of the story was about how he and the other powerful characters struggled to adapt to the new world they were taken to, how they built a country from the ground up and tried their best to keep it stable, complete with diplomatic, economic and political issues that popped up. That isn't something you normally see in isekai RPG worlds, so it was refreshing for a change, but then S2 felt to me like it merely built upon the foundations laid throughout S1 without adding that many interesting things to keep things fresh (and neither Tohya's party nor the Shiroe love triangle were actually any good), so I only ended up watching the last couple episodes after a two or three-month hiatus due to losing the motivation to continue after the vampire girl got introduced.

I'd still not call Log Horizon a legit good series, but it did go for a couple interesting things. The pacing always felt slower than what I'd have liked though, and the overambitious overarching plot that's still nowhere near being wrapped up after the end of S2 meant that all the cast managed to do in the second season was keep their newly created society afloat.

Like, I remember S2 opened up the Shiroe2 and flavor text catastrophe plot lines, and it also expanded upon the rival kingdom that was only teased for the S1 finale, but nothing of worth was actually done. The bad guy in NPC armor and the raid to find an infinite source of money are the only two relevant plot lines I actually remember S2 wrapping up, and neither felt all that satisfying to me.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Yes, yes we do, you can keep your standard shonen hero in your standard shonen series.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Kiznaiver 10
The ending was really strong with
some really eerie crying(which fit quite well knowing how Katsuhiro hasn't really felt anything like this until now), props to his VA for that.
Then Chidori continues in showing her flaws as egoistic and unable to see things from other people's perspective even more, can't really blame her but it's still making me dislike her.
Also Hisomu and Nico is pretty much the best friends Katsuhiro could get. Pretty funny how the masochist is the most easy going and relaxed person on the cast.

Hope they'll be able to tie this thing together in the last two episodes.

Theonik

Berserk 1
I don't think I've seen people lump this with the CG movies and definitely not call it bad looking, but the animation itself is definitely lacking though it takes the approach that Lodoss took for most of its run of detailed designs over good animation. It makes up for these shortcomings with good stylistic choices though.

The production is quite inconsistent though.
Berserk 2

Guts is a singularly unpleasant fellow.
Guts has trust issues.

JulianImp

I'm halfway through Netoge #8, and as Master reassured Rusian that Ako's ability to spot that his account had been hacked I couldn't help but laugh. The poser asked her for sexy pictures right away, for crying out loud! Even Okuyasu would've been able to spot the imposter given such a ridiculous personality change!

Now that I think about it, the account hacking incident coupled with Ako's inability to distinguish reality from fiction could've led to some really interesting (albeit complex) developments if only the hacker hadn't been dumb enough to act in such a conspicuous way right in front of her. It's kind of a waste that it's now about Rusian getting his items back when it could've also been about tackling Ako's delusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom