• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibyea

Banned
Hey, you know what else happens in Black and White? Ash's main rival in the series is a beginning trainer called Trip, which is already stupid, but Ash straight up loses his first fight in Unova to Trip's first pokemon, Snivy.

He loses with Pikachu.

The Pikachu that just fought a Latios to a draw.

There's an episode in XY where Ash falls into another dimension, and meets that universe's version of himself. That Ash constantly cries, and gets picked on by his friends.The anime community likes to believe that Black and White just followed this wimpy Ash that no one likes for a season, and thus isn't really canon.

lol!

I never played Black and White but my little brother told me that game had one of the best Pokemon game stories. Surprised the show was pretty awful. Did they have N in the show?

Also I wish Crunchy or someone streamed the Japanese Pokemon XY. I heard the dub removed a lot of the soundtrack.

I know N was in the show for a shortish arc, I have no idea how he compared to the game version since I haven't watched any of best wishes

kewlmyc

Wasn't Pokemon DP the series where Ash got so stupid powerful, that the only way they could have him logically lose the league battle was losing to a guy using a team of all legendaries?

ibyea

Banned
Wasn't Pokemon DP the series where Ash got so stupid powerful, that the only way they could have him logically lose the league battle was losing to a guy using a team of all legendaries?

Yeah although I do think the writers could have not cheaped out and instead have someone just as good fight him with regular pokemons.

Andrew J.

Macross Delta 01

Good heavens, I didn't know this Macross series would have female pop stars! I do declare, I am coming down with a case of the vapors!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
anime thread talking about XY? My favorite topic.

You know the your anime is shit meme? XY is the your anime looks like shit compared to this twenty year long running toyetic show. Likely better scored too.

I know about the supernatural part due to the googling. I do still think it's just a silly gimmick. But in a lot of cases I like gimmicks though because usually they add flavor so I don't mind.

It may be a gimmick, but it's also the primary hook of the series. I know I probably wouldn't have given a second glance at it if it was "random dudes with supernatural powers" instead of "Japanese literary figures with supernatural powers".

Wait so...Kabaneri is on Amazon JP on Wednesday, in English on Thursday but actually airs in Japan on friday? Do I have this right

It airs on noitamina Fridays at 12:25 AM (usually written in Japan Thursdays at 24:25), which is Thursdays at 11:25 AM EST. The first episode got a day early stream on Amazon JP; future episodes will be streamed after they air on noitamina. I don't think Amazon has announced how they intend to handle the show outside of Japan.

ibyea

Banned
It may be a gimmick, but it's also the primary hook of the series. I know I probably wouldn't have given a second glance at it if it was "random dudes with supernatural powers" instead of "Japanese literary figures with supernatural powers".

Heh, true. Like I said, for me it's not a negative against the show, it is what it is, and sometimes things are there because rule of cool.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think that ending was supposed to end the episode on a tense note.

But I didn't feel anything to be honest.

Still, I'll definitely check out the next episode. I mean, anime about spies don't come around very often.

I liked it. Yes it is typical anime kind of thing but hey I am a sucker for that sometimes.

Some of the shots are pretty cheesy, the "gotcha" tone is really on the nose, and there's a ton of cheap exposition, but I dig it. Reminds me of live action stuff actually, which might explain the cheese. Animated characters still have better acting than the typical J-Drama though. :p

I really liked the first episode. Favorite new show out of the new ones I've watched so far. I just found it really interesting, and I want to see where it will end up going. Honestly, the only bit of camp that I felt from the episode was the over the top foreigner.

That ending bit was so much though. lol
I guess speaking of Jdrama, I wonder if the Live Action film was as on the nose anyway.

Cornbread78

Kimikiss Pure Rouge ep.4-6
This show is managing to follow three ships at once and pretty competently as well. Only one of them is an awkward "love-triangle" but I have a feeling there will be another one really soon between two of the mains. This isn't the fun comedy I was looking for going in, but I'll see where it goes slowly.

Pokemon XY 3

Ash using his brain and the terrain and being a competent trainer? James catching Pokemon like a master? What is this!? Froakie is cocky as hell. Dude needs to chill.

Dedenne is mad cute though.

It must be nice to travel the world and capture wildlife with some buds while getting free healthcare and other services.

This show is managing to follow three ships at once and pretty competently as well. Only one of them is an awkward "love-triangle" but I have a feeling there will be another one really soon between two of the mains. This isn't the fun comedy I was looking for going in, but I'll see where it goes slowly.

I initially started watching this while it was airing and enjoyed it well enough, although I ended up putting off the last episode for a few years because I wasn't a fan of how some of the pairing turned out lol.

Sölf;200323568 said:
Black Lagoon 03-04
Of course now Nazis appear. Every good action anime needs some Nazis. I probably should listen to them in german, to get the real deal. The speech in Hellsing was also phenomenal in german.

The Nazis themselves are pretty much the low point of the show to me. Thankfully the arc itself ends strong and really sets up the relationship and dynamic between Rock and Revy.

Defuser

Kimikiss isn't really a comedy as you can see it falls flat on it. The only thing comedic is the animation error where hoshino has a crossed eye, you know it when you see it.

The ending........eh lets just say it wasn't fair to a certain someone and it's a big douche move. The whole show is meh.

keffri

Welcome to the fun. Now, what kind of stuff do you want to watch? Sci-fi, mecha, Mystery, Romance, Drama, Adventure, Battle Shonen stuff? Just give us an idea what your looking for and we can give you some good recommendations within that genre.

I'm down to watch anything really. My highest rated shows are typically shonen animes, but I've watched most genres.

I've recently gotten into sports animes so I'd like to watch some of those.
- I've watched Kuroko's, Haikyuu and Ping Pong the Animation.

Here is myanimelist which shows what I've watched so far.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/keffri

If you're just getting into anime there's way more old stuff out there that's worth checking out than the number of good shows coming out per season. Just go watch old stuff for a while, the newer stuff will still be there when you get back and you won't have to worry about a show turning to shit halfway through.

Speaking of new anime, time to look over some old ones with Winter 2016 opinions. I don't think I've ever started so many shows in one season only to drop them before, other than Rakugo it's been kind of a big disappointment.

Completed
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: A strong AOTY contender. Very good direction despite the occasionally limited animation. Excellent plot, style, characters, and voice acting. 9/10
Osomatsu-san (continued from last season): A comedy anime that tried to be everything it could think of and succeeded at pretty much all of it. Going in I was thinking "oh god six characters that all look the same, how am I going to keep track", but all of the -matsu brothers and the rest of the cast for that matter were extremely memorable. Art style and faces were top notch. 9/10
Galko-chan: A funny show with decently compelling characters marred by poor direction and a low amount of content (the OP taking up a ridiculous amount of time from the episodes where it's used doesn't help with that). 7/10
Schwarzesmarken: Maybe it's because I went in with very low expectations after Total Eclipse, but I rather enjoyed this series. While it was obvious there was some adaptation decay (rushed pacing in places, sparsely detailed characters that feel like they should have more dimensions), it had robots fighting aliens and other robots, commies, rebellions, and best girl of the season. And god DAMN are some of those robot designs fine as hell. 7/10
Ojisan to Marshmallow: It had like, three jokes. But they were decent enough jokes and at three and a half minutes per episode I was never made to feel like my time was wasted. 6/10

Dropped
Dagashi Kashi: A pretty good show with decent humor, characters, and style. But I kinda fell off the wagon for this one around halfway through, and with every subtitle option being kinda bad (the official subs are bad and the fansubs are memesubs) and the show itself merely being "pretty good" at best, I didn't feel much of a reason to go back to it. Hopefully the BD release subs aren't as bad. 7/10
Sekkou Boys: Another decent show, but I fell off the wagon halfway through. I've got no problems with CR's release of the show, but there really wasn't enough here to rekindle my interest in it. 6/10
Girls Beyond the Wasteland: One of the strongest starts to the season, but the middle of the show was a massive disappointment so I stopped watching halfway through. The occasional excellent and surreal Romeo Tanaka humor was waylaid by a feeling of "quick we gotta get all the drama from the common route into the series before it ends". From what I hear the game was similarly disappointing in the end after a strong start as well. 6/10
HaruChika: I appreciated what it was going for, enjoyed it more than Kyoani's similar efforts, and rewatching the first few episodes with non-shit subs increased my liking for it. But I just wasn't in the mood to watch this kind of show. Maybe I'll pick it up again someday, but more likely I'll forget it exists entirely. Dropped it after episode 3 or 4 or so. 6/10
Dimension W: Pretty good style, but the plot and characters seemed very "baby's first seinen" to me. Not much I haven't seen before, and nothing was there to really pull me in so I dropped it after one or two episodes. 6/10
ERASED: Dropped this after one episode. Everything was obviously a rushed and poorly scripted (if very pretty and well animated) adaptation. The first episode is full of internal monologue, jumping from one character and concept to the next so fast that none of it has any time to sink in. The whole "Japanese mystery" aspect made me wary too, and from reactions that I've been reading to the ending it sounds like I was right to jump off. I've read that it does the whole "nostalgia for childhood" thing pretty well, but I'm not a big fan of those kinds of stories to begin with. 5/10
Grimgar: I think I stuck around for three or four episodes before dropping this one. The backgrounds are really pretty and I can appreciate going for a slower paced, more serious approach to the whole "shifted to an RPG world" concept. But there were only two actual "real" characters, the death flagging got so obvious as to be gut-bustingly hilarious, and the director had an uncomfortable obsession with the butts of teenage anime girls. 4/10
Phantom World: Ahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha. Dropped after less than one episode. 3/10

On hold I guess
Active Raid: I kinda wanna go back to this one. A decently fun sentai-ish show from the director of Code Geass and the writer of Akibaranger. I might finish up season one over the weekend or something. 7/10 for now

I'll be sure to check those out. Most of your completed shows I had never heard of. I'm mostly using Crunchyroll to watch so some of those might not be on there. I'll probably get a sub for Funimation as well.

This past winter season I watched: GATE S2, ERASED, Konosuba, Haikyuu S2.

I was interested in watching Grimgar because of the art. I like the RPG style animes, but it's not enough to make me watch one.

I guess I'll slowly catch up. Most of what I have watched is from the past year.

In 2016 I want to catch up on all the shows that I have missed out on while I was not watching anime. There seems to be a lot but I suppose there isn't any rush.

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Narag

Aight that special was pretty fun. Who will be the mysterious guest staff teased in it? Likely no one I've ever head of but please be excited nonetheless.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Bungo Stray Dogs 01
Everything felt super flat. There really just wasn't the right sorta build up to really bring much punch to most things, and it never felt like there was a real hook or purpose to what was here beyond the lame references. It was not unpleasant to sit through, but the prospect of watching a whole season of this sounds beyond draining. Heard the manga is really awful too, so I'm not exactly expecting things to really change for the better.

Wanderer5

Had to do some waiting tonight for some grades, so what did I do? Tried out another damn anime from this season lol.

Bungo Stray Dogs #1

Honestly after looking at it again, I was kind of hoping to like it a lot, and in some ways I did, but it didn't really hooked me in through. Not exactly sure why, but I guess it just was that much intriguing in ways. Might be too silly for its own good too, through I did like the beginning scene when the MC is determined to steal from someone lol.

Meh I don't know, I likely not go through with it, and hearing a few times that the manga isn't that great isn't helping.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
CfaYAOrUUAIGf3R.png:orig

*drives tank to beach*

Boku no Hero Academia High School Gakuen! - Episode 1: Smell Ya Later!
For some reason when I started watching I mixed this up in my mind with Mob Psycho 100.

Oh man, GREEN hair mom?! This season keeps bringing the hits.

That being said, I am looking forward to this one, but so far nothing that's setting it apart from One Punch Man and Samurai Flamenco.

Quasar

Kimikiss isn't really a comedy as you can see it falls flat on it. The only thing comedic is the animation error where hoshino has a crossed eye, you know it when you see it.

The ending........eh lets just say it wasn't fair to a certain someone and it's a big douche move. The whole show is meh.

I quite liked it myself. In part because of the art, which seems to be from the Amagami creator.

The show itself enjoyed, and I found it interesting from the POV of them creating a single story from apparently multiple game routes.

Not sure where the idea of it being a comedy came from. Its much more a teen romance.

Thoraxes

Watching Full Metal Panic fumuffo again. Still one of the GOATS.

I finally saw it for the first time a few weeks back.

Even though I loved all of it, the Tessa episodes were the best, because she's objectively the best.
Iwasaki is the best!

You guys have been saying all the magic names to get me on board. The only thing I knew about this show beforehand was that Chiaki Omigawa is in it.

Now I have Igarashi, Enokido, and Iwasaki.

Ascheroth

Mawaru Penguindrum - 03

Welcome to Rock'n roll Night~
Where the hell did the random-ass Fabulous Max come from, lol.
Aniki gives no fucks about anything
stalking, breaking into her house, all fair game.
And looks like
Ringos Future Diary is just a regular Delusion Diary.
Mawaru Penguindrum - 04

What.
So it's a Future x Delusion Diary? Her date plans make it seems like it's just something she came up herself, but then you always have something random she couldn't have known. Or it's like The Book of Thoth where the things come true... but there's leeway in the how because those entries are so basic. Or it's really just her writing whatever and those strange entries are merely coincidence.
Like that girl just being basically murdered. What. But it's interesting regardless.
Outside of that, the Penguins still continue to slay me with every single thing they do. And Ringos daydreams are fun. And Yuris random Fabulous, lol.

PKrockin

Great idea Green Green had, focusing the plot on Yusuke's identity crisis when he regains his memories. As a viewer I really wrestled with whether Yusuke was the cardboard cutout I had known him as for the whole series until this point, or the different person he supposedly becomes when he regains the memories of his past life I don't get to ever fucking see or hear about. spoilers? fuck you it's literally explained every single episode.

In fact, it's really incredible that you can watch that one-minute summary and have exactly as much information about all events that happened in the past as I have upon finishing the anime. What happened? Where the fuck did the story go? Might have helped me care the slightest bit about the relationship if I ever got a fucking glimpse of what they had to go through trying to make it work. Oh and while I'm ranting about story all the fantasy elements show up out of nowhere completely unearned and unnaturally. They could not stick out more as something the writer threw in to make the story work the way he wanted it to with as little effort as possible.

Art is a 15-year-old's Deviantart page. Animation is hardly there. Soundtrack ranges from elevator music to directly clashing with the scene's tone. Plot does nothing but cycle through cliche setups and predictable resolutions you've seen 100 times before. Character personalities range from boring to obnoxious. Character designs were so generic most times I couldn't tell which girl was getting fondled in her sleep this episode. Fanservice was subpar at best. But as shitty as this show is, it's still no Diabolik Lovers. I give it a 2/10 for the rare case where it's so incompetently edited/voice acted it's unintentionally funny. At times it's so bad it feels like a really bad abridged dub. Someone please abridge this show out of existence.

cWx4UB5.jpg

Finished the Dark Tournament arc of Yu Yu Hakusho and the scene where Yusuke
absorbs Genkai's spirit orb to save Puu
is my favorite scene ever. Goddamn so much hype and emotion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6rLBA6wvVY&nohtml5=False
To cleanse my palate, I think I'll watch some Yu Yu Hakusho. I never quite finished the Dark Tournament arc.

BluWacky

Every one of those Penguindrum screencaps makes me wish that everyone in the anime industry had the same sense of visual mastery that Ikuni and his episode directors have. I don't want all anime to look like that, but... every shot is nice to look at!

Ascheroth

Every one of those Penguindrum screencaps makes me wish that everyone in the anime industry had the same sense of visual mastery that Ikuni and his episode directors have. I don't want all anime to look like that, but... every shot is nice to look at!

It's really not easy to limit myself to just 3 per episode.

Super Lovers 01

I'm watching this because it takes place near Calgary, Alberta. Where I live. Alberta always had a big Japanese tourism industry.

Thoraxes

image.php

KUMA SHOCK!
That's the sexy way. Shabadadoo~
I think so, yes.
So far it's been a lot of fun.
I'll be sure to keep up with your impressions then!
I won't enlighten you with some of the major elements of his works so you can have fun with those on your first romp! One thing I will mention is that you should definitely consider giving Penguindrum a rewatch once you finish it. It should prove to be very enlightening.

Ascheroth

That's the sexy way. Shabadadoo~

I'll be sure to keep up with your impressions then!
I won't enlighten you with some of the major elements of his works so you can have fun with those on your first romp! One thing I will mention is that you should definitely consider giving Penguindrum a rewatch once you finish it. It should prove to be very enlightening.

Noted!

I finally saw it for the first time a few weeks back.

Even though I loved all of it, the Tessa episodes were the best, because she's objectively the best.

You guys have been saying all the magic names to get me on board. The only thing I knew about this show beforehand was that Chiaki Omigawa is in it.

Now I have Igarashi, Enokido, and Iwasaki.
Tessa is magic. Shoulda had her own ova too

Boku no Hero Academia High School Gakuen! - Episode 1: Smell Ya Later!
For some reason when I started watching I mixed this up in my mind with Mob Psycho 100.

Oh man, GREEN hair mom?! This season keeps bringing the hits.

That being said, I am looking forward to this one, but so far nothing that's setting it apart from One Punch Man and Samurai Flamenco.

High school gakuen? What?

Sölf

Great idea Green Green had, focusing the plot on Yusuke's identity crisis when he regains his memories. As a viewer I really wrestled with whether Yusuke was the cardboard cutout I had known him as for the whole series until this point, or the different person he supposedly becomes when he regains the memories of his past life I don't get to ever fucking see or hear about. spoilers? fuck you it's literally explained every single episode.

In fact, it's really incredible that you can watch that one-minute summary and have exactly as much information about all events that happened in the past as I have upon finishing the anime. What happened? Where the fuck did the story go? Might have helped me care the slightest bit about the relationship if I ever got a fucking glimpse of what they had to go through trying to make it work. Oh and while I'm ranting about story all the fantasy elements show up out of nowhere completely unearned and unnaturally. They could not stick out more as something the writer threw in to make the story work the way he wanted it to with as little effort as possible.

Art is a 15-year-old's Deviantart page. Animation is hardly there. Soundtrack ranges from elevator music to directly clashing with the scene's tone. Plot does nothing but cycle through cliche setups and predictable resolutions you've seen 100 times before. Character personalities range from boring to obnoxious. Character designs were so generic most times I couldn't tell which girl was getting fondled in her sleep this episode. Fanservice was subpar at best. But as shitty as this show is, it's still no Diabolik Lovers. I give it a 2/10 for the rare case where it's so incompetently edited/voice acted it's unintentionally funny. At times it's so bad it feels like a really bad abridged dub. Someone please abridge this show out of existence.

cWx4UB5.jpg

To cleanse my palate, I think I'll watch some Yu Yu Hakusho. I never quite finished the Dark Tournament arc.

Aww, yeah, another happy customer! But have you seen episode 13?

Ascheroth

Mawaru Penguindrum - 05

That got really tense really fast. I wonder what's going to happen now that Ringo is more or less in the know. Aniki really saved the day there, in more then one way.
I wonder what he's actually doing... It seems he has lots of connections. And the penguin symbols everywhere... The skunk also head one. ...Would it be crazy to assume that it had some relation to the Fate Diary or Penguindrum, considering it was responsible for Ringos food going to waste and pushing her into the lake?
Also, turns out escalator girl didn't die. But
Redhead suddenly conjures some crazy weapen form a pill? with the penguin symbol and erases her memories. If it wasn't already clear that she was the one pushing escalator girl...
The huge good-bye on the truck was some morbid humor.

Mawaru Penguindrum - 06

Whoa.
First, Redhair strikes again. Shooting those things that can erase memories/alter personalities is quite... brutal. But it seems Aniki catches on pretty quickly, he seems to know ...something. And since it was revealed she also has a penguin, I assume it's only her that can see it, not even the Takakura family, and vice versa. It was probably her penguin that made the trash can fall over.
...I also just realized now that the Takamuras have 3 penguins, because they are 3 persons, everyone has their own 'personal penguin' that follows them around. I feel kind of dumb for only realizing this now.

Second, Ringo. Whoa. Pretty twisted, but it's starting to make sense now. So the 'Fate Diary' was written by her now dead sister. Her parents had a fallout because Ringos birthday is also Momokas deathday, so... Ringo wants to 'become' her sister by making sure everything in the Fate Diary comes true (...and her way of fulfilling things is quite... crazy at times), to somehow fix things.
But then again, both Redhair and Ringo were talking about a Project M (which is apparently written in the diary), and there's also the stuff about escalator girl in there...
Whaaa!

Cornbread78

I'm down to watch anything really. My highest rated shows are typically shonen animes, but I've watched most genres.

I've recently gotten into sports animes so I'd like to watch some of those.
- I've watched Kuroko's, Haikyuu and Ping Pong the Animation.

Here is myanimelist which shows what I've watched so far.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/keffri.

Selfishly, I'll point you directly at Clannad and Clannad After Story, just because it's an amazing experience and from your list, you can appreciate good drama / Romance. Same with Cross Game with is a good sports/drama series.
Barakamon, which is a really good SoL series. D-Frag is a really funny comedy, Eureka 7 has a little bit of everything, Golden Boy(Crunchyroll) is a short ecchi comedy. Little Busters(Crunchyroll) is a good conedy/drama, and if you don't mind sone fanservice and a lot of dialog, some action and some comedy start the *Monogatari series with Bakemonogatari and enjoy the ride.

A few others:(all on Crunchyroll)
Toradora
Blast of Tempest
Working
Usagi Drop
Kokoro Connect
Yamada-kunand the Seven Witches
ef-A Tale of Memories
Sabagebu!

I don't watch a lot of your action Shounen series, but I'm 50 episodes into Fairy Tail and it has been really good so far.

That should keep you busy for a while, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom