• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ash has gotta be like 30 now. What a perv, someone call the cops.

K1cybVy.jpg

psssssssssst

hey kid

wanna ah.... wanna buy some rare candy? Top quality, low price.

Hey, guys. Can any of you comment on the following anime and tell if they're good?

From the New World
Tamako Market
Terror in Resonance

I haven't watched an anime in a long time (last one was Ping Pong), and I've gotten the itch to watch a good one. Recommendations for good ones to watch are welcome. Nothing too serious, unless it's really good. Prefer comedy. Also, not licensed ones that are getting dubs, since I prefer to wait and watch the English version.

From the New World (Shinsekai Yori) is fantastic. I can't really think of any words to use for it other than it's a real rollercoaster ride. Don't worry about the artstyle or there being kids or anything like that. You'll feel good after watching it. That being said, it's super serious. Even somewhat grimdark. So just a heads up. I watched the dub, too, and it's fine.

For straight comedy, there's Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (Monthy Girls Nozaki-kun) I watched the Japanese subs so I can't say if the voice actors in the English are good. BUT it's super hilarious. So there's a suggestion.

Hey, guys. Can any of you comment on the following anime and tell if they're good?

From the New World
Tamako Market
Terror in Resonance

I haven't watched an anime in a long time (last one was Ping Pong), and I've gotten the itch to watch a good one. Recommendations for good ones to watch are welcome. Nothing too serious, unless it's really good. Prefer comedy. Also, not licensed ones that are getting dubs, since I prefer to wait and watch the English version.

From The New World is a masterpiece. Its an investment though. Tamako Market is a really cute Kyo Ani production that wasnt really remarkable but served a nice comfort show. If you want comedy, you might give Monthly Girls' Nozaki Kun a shot. For a truly great slice of life with comedy and a lot of heart and life lessons, try Non Non Biyori.

Yona of the Dawn
is another excellent show. It has a good balance of action, drama, comedy, romance and fantasy. Really great characters in this one.

Ya haven't even gotten to the good stuff yet! Some of the character design in this series is crazy!

I'm hyped! Man I just want to binge XY. Havent even gotten a chance to check out Nottack on Titan yet.

Holy crap, they gave Ash a harem, including a loli! For shame Pokémon!

Bonnie is probably the second best little sister in anime after Komachi from SNAFU. Always looking out for her older brother. A true wingwoman.

I guess I'll watch it then.

Edit:^^^ aren't they all lolis? They're like 10 years old.

Officer Jenny and Jessica are definitely adults. I think.

Ventara

From the New World (Shinsekai Yori) is fantastic. I can't really think of any words to use for it other than it's a real rollercoaster ride. Don't worry about the artstyle or there being kids or anything like that. You'll feel good after watching it. That being said, it's super serious. Even somewhat grimdark. So just a heads up. I watched the dub, too, and it's fine.

For straight comedy, there's Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (Monthy Girls Nozaki-kun) I watched the Japanese subs so I can't say if the voice actors in the English are good. BUT it's super hilarious. So there's a suggestion.

From The New World is a masterpiece. Its an investment though. Tamako Market is a really cute Kyo Ani production that wasnt really remarkable but served a nice comfort show. If you want comedy, you might give Monthly Girls' Nozaki Kun a shot. For a truly great slice of life with comedy and a lot of heart and life lessons, try Non Non Biyori.

Yona of the Dawn
is another excellent show. It has a good balance of action, drama, comedy, romance and fantasy. Really great characters in this one.

I'm in the mood for some comedy, so I'll give Nozaki a try. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll also give FtNW a shot. I recall thinking it looked generic, but read high praise for it, so the name stuck to me.

zulux21

Ace Attorney 1
this show is at the same time horrible, and decent.
on one hand from an anime stand point this is a phoned in bad adaption.
on the other hand, because it is so phoned it they just ripped most of the animation from the games, thus it almost feels like watching a voiced over lets play of the games meaning I might actually continue to watch this lol.

Super Lovers 1
Most of this episode was fine.
some parts were adorable, the story isn't to bad but....
it's like the show was like... oh yeah... boys love.... MUST FORCE IN SCENES EVEN IF CREEPY.....
remove 5 or so short scenes and you have a solid first episode... as it is though it was just watchable as it was really odd to see the characters keep going back and forth between dotting older brother that is like 10 years older than his 10 year old brother to... I WANT TO SLEEP WITH YOU!!!!!

I also wonder
if we find out she is a man, because boy does she have a serious cause of pretty boy face going on.

Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta? 1
It had its cute moments but the first episode would have been way stronger if blond bitch twintails was actually a pretty boy instead of blond bitch twintails. She was just annoying before she showed up, and still mostly annoying after. Just a shallow Tsundare that ideally will get some growth later but a mostly pointless piece of set dressing in the first episode that wastes time by throwing out generic lines from time to time. The rest of the cast was okay, though also pretty standard. Overall I might give this one another episode, but it hardly left a great first impression.

Attack on Trains 1
so as expected this feels a lot like attack on titan. Even better it seems to only really take the good parts of attack on titan. aside from some weird things going on at the end with straps it was a solid first episode. Very confused why when it should be known it takes like 30 seconds for a disease to spread though, with clear signs you are infected, that people would be so afraid of others that have injuries and aren't showing signs of the disease. a 1 hour quarantine seems like it would be fine instead of 3 days. Alas we also see plenty of signs of the enemy being not mindless zombies so it's possible there is more going on there.

Kabaneri 1

Really similar to AoT but whatever it was fun to watch and the main character doesn't seem to be as whiny as Erin.

Edit: the OST is super similar too I thought it was the same composer but it's a different guy.
Double edit: case of the dumbs, yeah it's the same guy

In the Philippines we have a saying, Sawa Factor

It's when you're eating food and you're just absolutely sick of it and don't want anymore.

rhythm section -- two second pause -- BRRRRRRRRRR

Instro

From the New World
Tamako Market
Terror in Resonance

Well if you prefer comedy you should probably avoid 1 and 3. Having said that, From the New World is good, albeit inconsistent with a few episodes that are a bit rough, overall though it's an interesting show and your not likely to find much like it around. Tamako Market is ok, not Kyoani's best, but better than most of the shit they've been doing since Hyouka(watch this if you haven't). Terror in Resonance is safe pass.

Narag

Danball Senki 2

Basically GBF without the Gundam skin. It's not as refined but then again neither was GBF two eps in. I imagine this experience so far is similar to those who watched GBF without knowledge of the franchise.

Line_HTX

Honestly I didn't even recognize Sawano, didn't have volume high enough apparently but if there was lady singing EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEE EEEEEE EEEEEEEE or singing in some foreign language with a choir behind her, then yeah that's him.

It's the booming orchestra to be honest more than anything, besides the butchered German lyrics and the choir.

Kind of like Hans Zimmer and how he scores various pieces.

Heavy Object 1-24 (End)

It was fun watching Qwenthur and Havia bro out and blow shit up, although I did wish Havia was more relevant and less of a slightly more important sidekick character.

From the New World
Tamako Market
Terror in Resonance

Dropped From the New World after 1 ep, so can't comment. Terror in Resonance is alright, but the underexplained motivations of the characters makes it kind of difficult to follow and it doesn't have the level of tension to survive without that outside of a few moments.

Watch One Punch Man if you want comedy.

zulux21

Dropped From the New World after 1 ep, so can't comment. Terror in Resonance is alright, but the underexplained motivations of the characters makes it kind of difficult to follow and it doesn't have the level of tension to survive without that outside of a few moments.

Watch One Punch Man if you want comedy.

I would imagine one punch man would be excluded by the "not licensed ones that are getting dubs, since I prefer to wait and watch the English version."

anyways, pick a route.

goofy fun but mostly family friendly - school rumble.
Goofy fun with some twisted/adult themes - Great Teacher Onizuka
goofy fun and you hate yourself - excel saga
don't mind a reverse harem - Ouran highschool host club

Bungo Stray Dogs 1

Giving a guy a comedic suicide character quirk when his namesake committed suicide seems kind of, I don't know... in poor taste? I guess that happened a long time ago, so it should be whatever, but still kind of weird.

Anyway, OP seems to indicate this could be a pretty legit battle seinen. Will see how it plays out and possibly start the manga (which has been on my wishlist for a while).

I would imagine one punch man would be excluded by the "not licensed ones that are getting dubs, since I prefer to wait and watch the English version."

anyways, pick a route.

goofy fun but mostly family friendly - school rumble.
Goofy fun with some twisted/adult themes - Great Teacher Onizuka
goofy fun and you hate yourself - excel saga
don't mind a reverse harem - Ouran highschool host club

A dub's been announced for OPM? Neat. Guess it was only a matter of time.

My Love Story 13-24

Out of all the shows I've finished recently this was definitely one of my favorites along with Toradora and Your Lie in April. Pretty much every episode put a smile on my face at one point or another, it was just such a feel good show. The episode about his mom even managed to get me to tear up a bit, although I really should have known that it would be completely against the tone of the rest of of the series if they had gone in the direction they were hinting at a few times lol.

Since this show is going to get a dub I'll probably check it out again when that comes out, assuming Sentai doesn't fuck it up.

zulux21

A dub's been announced for OPM? Neat. Guess it was only a matter of time.

Viz picked it up early on, but 12 days ago they confirmed they are actively working on the dub.

either way you knew it was gonna happen. OPM will no doubt end up on toonami at some point.

My Love Story 13-24

Out of all the shows I've finished recently this was definitely one of my favorites along with Toradora and Your Lie in April. Pretty much every episode put a smile on my face at one point or another, it was just such a feel good show. The episode about his mom even managed to get me to ear up a bit, although I really should have known that it would be completely against the tone of the rest of of the series if they had gone in the direction they were hinting at a few times lol.

Since this show is going to get a dub I'll probably check it out again when that comes out, assuming Sentai doesn't fuck it up.

I missed that My Love Story was getting a dub. It will go nicely next to nozaki-kun on my shelf.

Kabaneri - 01

Pretty meh on it. Classic anime case of incompetent and unwise adults being outclassed by kids, which is a trope I'm really not fond of. So it's our teenage MC that might (?) be the first to realize how this zombie virus thingy actually works and he's also the one to craft a weapon capable of killing the zombies? Okay, but I hope we get some explanation for that. That self strangulation seemed to be completely useless at first as it didn't actually stop the spread at all, until the very end where it suddenly retreated completely. Looked off but maybe it makes sense when we're eventually told how it actually works.

Mumei's guardian gets wounded off-screen and thus kills himself while she just decapitates some huge zombies head with her blade boots. It's anime alright.

Overall just feels like a cheap AoT to me still and the zombies so far are conceptually less grotesque and interesting than the titans. They're simply super zombies as of this first episode. Nothing iconic like the Colossal Titan appeared yet either. The breach here was just another moment of "duh, you didn't even plan for something this likely to happen?" Why not demand the trains actually stop and communicate with you before lowering the damn bridge?

I hope there'll be some quality world building the next couple episodes or I'll hardly remain interested.

BluWacky

Quickie impressions from a couple of things I watched last night, although I will rewatch Kuromukuro at least when it's translated:

Kuromukuro 1

Sunrise called - they'd like their 2001 TV shows back.

Okay, that's not fair, but you just don't see that many "serious mystery mecha" shows these days. At least, not ones which look half decent (seriously, M3? Just no.) Aldnoah, for instance, wasn't a "mystery" show in the same way - the first ep didn't have naked samurai hidden in giant black cubes, or robots appearing out of the sea etc. It did have AT fields, though, just like this does...

The production is bright and vibrant; the climactic fight sequence is well directed to build up tension, and whoever storyboarded away Kennosuke's penis did a fantastic job... I also enjoyed the music a lot.

Apparently Netflix are going to be streaming this weekly on Mondays in Japan at the least - I guess we'll have to wait and see if that's the same in the rest of the world.

Sakamoto-san 1

I will be honest - I'm not really a big fan of the manga for this. I enjoy the idea of it much more than the execution, and think that parts of it are downright bad - it's remarkably cheesy, in fact.

The anime doesn't do much to change my opinion. It hasn't really benefitted that much from being animated; it basically uses the manga panels and dialogue verbatim, and the only real difference in the first ep is an interminably cheap sequence at the beginning of the episode with a minute of looped CG animation. The point of Sakamoto is, as the show reminds us, he is effortlessly cool, and while some moments capture this okay the rest of it is rather lumpen and leaden. The second half of the episode is better - there's a "short" episode that breaks up the two manga chapter adaptations which is more amusing, and some small effort goes into a sequence in the second ep - but we still get repeated musical cues and ugly art throughout.

I'm confident others will enjoy this far more than I did - I don't like comedies much, and I'm not a big fan of the manga. Just not my cup of tea.

Sölf

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress 01
That was amazing as hell. I am hyped as fuck. This definitly feels like Attack on Titan, but in a really good way. And it looks so damn good. I fear the day when we get QUALITY in this show, which I just hope will never happen.

Raide

Watched Attack on Titan: Midnight Zombie Train Edition.

Pretty damn good! Some good action from the outset. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

phaze

With Clannad having such a good rating I don't know how I missed that one. It sounds like an experience so I'll definitely put that higher on my priorities.

Thanks for the other recommendations! I'll add them to my watch list so I don't forget.

Looks like I'll have a lot to watch lol.

I'm sorry for being a bit of a buzzkill but since it has not been long since some poor soul got burned by a rec from DTL, I feel it's my duty to point out that Clannad is a bit of a controversial show. Opinions vary and so will your mileage.

Since you gave a 10 to Ping-Pong, you might wanna see if Tatami Galaxy, a show from the same director, tickles your fancy.

Cornbread78

I'm sorry for being a bit of a buzzkill but since it has not been long since some poor soul got burned by a rec from DTL, I feel it's my duty to point out that Clannad is a bit of a controversial show. Opinions vary and so will your mileage.

Since you gave a 10 to Ping-Pong, you might wanna see if Tatami Galaxy, a show from the same director, tickles your fancy.

SMH.
How is Clannad anything even close to a Glasslip rec? He gave Your Lie in April a "10" so there is a high likelyhood he would enjoy it. He may or may not like in the end, but it is a worthy experience regardless. (He based his comments on the shows rating, which I did not provide) This cannot be said of Glasslip. Ugghh.

It's an anime that ranks at the top of a majority of the "best of" lists everywhere for a reason..

Clov

Ugh. I guess that's a never...

I wouldn't say never just because of a lot of the strange occurrences in the industry; I once thought that Belladonna would never see a release here at all, let alone a 4K restoration for example. It's definitely not happening in the near future though.

I'm just going to keep visiting their streams whenever I can, and ask them about Mushishi during the Q&A. This way I can show them a bit of demand from it that I know someone from the company will at least see. During a panel at a con they had a while back, they said to keep letting them know about titles people want released over social media, so maybe if enough people annoy them we'll get something out of it. One day.

Thoraxes

I wouldn't say never just because of a lot of the strange occurrences in the industry; I once thought that Belladonna would never see a release here at all, let alone a 4K restoration for example. It's definitely not happening in the near future though.

I'm just going to keep visiting their streams whenever I can, and ask them about Mushishi during the Q&A. This way I can show them a bit of demand from it that I know someone from the company will at least see. During a panel at a con they had a while back, they said to keep letting them know about titles people want released over social media, so maybe if enough people annoy them we'll get something out of it. One day.

If I ever get the chance to check out one of their streams, i'd like to inquire about Samumenco. When they first picked up the show they announced home video rights.

I want to give them the $250 they'll inevitably ask for the series on bluray.

Familiar of Zero

S1 OK it's Hayate the Combat Butler in a magical school, if Hayate (Saito) was a bit arsey and was also actually interested in 'Nagi' (Louise) but other wise we have a 'Maria' stand in (Siesta) and the basic setup and flow is the same. Why all the hate? It seems like light hearted fun for the most part I mean the heroic Zero at the end was an odd note but the gag about the magic staff being
a LAW
was pretty good and having Cromwell being a huge dick is always a plus. Even the relationship seems to be moving along with Saito

S2
Oh. Oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh. So the romance plot turns into a pure disaster of never ending cycle of cheap crappy misunderstandings, reconciliations that play out like a season close and then right back into 'Does he/she really like me?'. Saito turns into a manipulative sociopath who keeps declaring his undying love for Louise only to turn around and play Siesta along for her body. The plot turns into a gross apologia for war crimes and the unfortunate WW2 analogies get ever more uncomfortable. How did this get made? How are there 2 more goddam seasons of this car crash? How did 13 episodes manage to move nothing forward? I mean they at least
got 'married'
surely that will mean we can move forward next season?

S3
No idea how I made it through the last season but I had to watch one or two from this to see if anything had moved on. No, nothing has. Apparently both
groom and bride
have completely forgotten about it and are back into the same terrible cycle. I'm out and now I know why the hate flows for this one, who knew that a magical academy series would be so full of Glorious Nippon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom