• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? I didn't pick up any of that from the first episode. Crazy if true.

Wait, are you serious? That's nothing like what I think I saw, and reads like a copy-paste of Gakkou Gurashi instead.

I mean, I'd be interested in seeing another show tackle what Gakkou Gurashi's anime adaptation failed miserably at, but I don't think that's where Anne-Happy's actually headed to at all.

What? Naw.
someone mentioned Hanako being delusional and it affected my watch of the episode lol.

No, Anne Happy's probably just a normal 4/5 girl slice of life. Honestly there really isn't too much that's differentiating it from other shows; I'm probably going to watch another episode or two but their depression definitely isn't Kotoura-san levels of depravity. It's just disappointing how the hook isn't really ... catching.

Qurupeke

Lulucop 2

6rd5BDZ.png

Love is a weird emotion.

Eeeeeeh.

I suspect Jiro gave a part of himself to her in episode 8 when she offered to tell Jiro where to find Rainbow Knight in exchange for granting her own wish. Anymore I see her as just protecting that investment for one reason or another as the line between love and possessiveness blurs.

Totally forgot about that. Sounds reasonable. Still, I need to see more of that obsessiveness.

JulianImp

Twin Star Exorcists #1
Meh.

The onmyouji setting intrigued me at first, but only until I realized it was basically being used as some kind of all-purpose magic (healing wounds, buffing the user, exploding monsters), with the added diabolus ex machina that was "whoops, ran out of talismans!". I also kept expecting the two MCs to pair up against the big monster in some way, but what I got was the girl being shown as not strong enough and the boy having to man up and protect her, easily defeating the bad guy in the process (because yay sexism!).

The MC's tragic backstory is also trite as hell, and it even comes with the whole "you're the ultimate <whatever>!" thing tacked on because reasons. Reluctant heroes like Kenshin worked well for me because the writers didn't shove an "everyone I cared about is dead! waaaaaaah!" origin story down my throat to try and make me sympathize with Kenshin (I know there was one episode that covered that, but it happened several seasons into the show); also, he was a more complex character than that, choosing to never hurt a person again after realizing how much pain and suffering he had sown as Battousai. Compared to that, this show's MC is a hastily thrown-together mess of tropes that results in a one-dimensional, cardboard cut-out of a character instead.

Also, the onmyouji clothes look more like Apple's latest iOnmyouji line than what I expected to see, which was a real shame.

Cornbread78

Onegai Teacher ep7-9:
Ok, this whole thing has gone completely off the rails at this point.
He loves her but he can't be with her because one of his other friends is sick like he is, so to prevent her from being sick again, he will now go out with the girl he turned down to be with the teacher,
So much messed up drama.... I just wanted to sweet Sensei x student action, but instead got some weird 3 way love triangle thing going on....

Uchuu Shoujo Patororu Luluco - 02
Worldbuilding.

Love isn’t something we invented. It’s observable, powerful, it has to mean something… Love is the one thing we’re capable of perceiving that transcends dimensions of time and space.

Is the ED done by the same person as the Yurikuma Arashi ED? I swear it's the same breathy voice. Although, I saw Teddyloid in the credits so maybe it's the person he had on ME!ME!ME!

pbayne

12-sai.: Chicchana Mune no Tokimeki 1

What a weird show. I like how sweet and earnest the romance is but jesus the tone of the episode bounced around so often it was hard to make sense of what the show is going for at times. The character designs and the look of the show are nice but they clash horribly with some of content. So i have no idea what to make of it so far.
Have to say that scene were the two girls went to buy tampons was the funniest thing ive seen in a while just for how wacky and surprisingly upbeat it was.

Luluco 2

Speaking of romance lol.

Whats this season one episode two business about? Is that just Trigger trolling people?

Diamond is Unbreakable 02

New OP is great but this series has a track record for great OPs so it should surprise no one. ED is also spectacular.

Oh my God I don't remember if Part 4 was always like this but the ultraviolence is M.D. Geist levels. Dude bites a dogs head off (thanks Araki) and then spits the blood down the owners throat so his Stand can get in and pops out his head. It's almost funny.

I absolutely love the details being put into the background. Future locations and characters are hidden all the over the place. It's great. The transitions are so fucking slick. The Angelo fight was actually improved from the manga, a great precedent for whats to come with the more complicated fights
HIGHWAY STAR

Qurupeke

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable 2
uZhMcQm.jpg

Another Jojo, another dog dies.

Some pretty graphic scenes at the start. Gross. I'm actually thankful to the dumb censoring. Anyway, I didn't like the fight much. I hoped that Josuke would be different from Jotaro, but the trick with the glove was the most Jotaro-like thing ever. I hoped for some crazy use of his stand. At least that freaky Angelo is gone.

Narag

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable 2

Well I had zero idea how any of this was going to play out. Got that Battle Tendency vibe where I'm already psyched for the next parts because whothefucknows what'll happen next.

Damn shame about the OP though.

Kagewani s2 02

Why didn't the cop try to shoot the monster in the face?

Two glowy spots in his head man, dude should play more videogames.

Naruto Shippuden 455

nGrQXM3.gif

Just awesome.

The massacre scene and Fugaku's visions were fucking incredible. I've seen Itachi take his parents down many times before and every time that scene gets me. It was nice to see Itachi's ruthlessness and how badass of a shinobi he was. I guess we will see more of his Akatsuki adventures going forward?

Fugaku was the man. This and Kakashi's mini series just solidifies Danzo's shittiness and the third hokages uselessness.

This ep blew me away, what I wanted out of Naruto. This really shows me how much the older generation paved the way for Naruto's. Tobi had to be enjoying that

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond Is Unbreakable Episode 2:

So here is the uncomfortable truth about Part 4, it is going to have a hell of a time filling the DIO void and Angelo certainly wasn't going to fit the bill. Honestly, the guy was just deeply obnoxious and I am glad he didn't stick around.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

So here is the uncomfortable truth about Part 4, it is going to have a hell of a time filling the DIO void and Angelo certainly wasn't going to fit the bill. Honestly, the guy was just deeply obnoxious and I am glad he didn't stick around.
What Dio void, Dio was barely in part 3 despite being the main antagonist. Not like Part 3's main antagonist was a slouch himself.

phaze

Except Concrete Revolutio!
Honestly, there are some great cuts in the second half but the first one is a boring slog and I hate the song.

This ep blew me away, what I wanted out of Naruto. This really shows me how much the older generation paved the way for Naruto's. Tobi had to be enjoying that

I think it's worth noting that #355 is one those rare, "solo" episodes with storyboarding, direction, animation supervision and key animation all having been handled by one man, Masahiko Murata .

So uhhh yeah, apparently Mumei of Kabaneri is apparently 12 years old. So all those people who say she is cute or love her are probably on the FBI's list.

Huh, I was off by by 1 year, curse you anime !

Defuser

So uhhh yeah, apparently Mumei of Kabaneri is apparently 12 years old. So all those people who say she is cute or love her are probably on the FBI's list.

brawly

JoJo IV | 2

Liked the opening, ending was meh. Great episode, really want Nijimura to appear, just to hear his godly VA.

Ascheroth

Lulucop - 02

Continues to be Imaishi. Looking forward to more.

Kagewani II - 02

Continues to be excellent, although this episode was less on the creepy side, but more on the tense one.

Diamond is Unbreakable - 02

YESSSSSSSSSS.
Great OP, really fitting for this part although it threw me a bit off in the beginning that it wasn't the usual CG style. ED was great as well.
DavidPro is seriously going all out here, they're elevating the source material up into the stratosphere, can't wait when we're actually getting to some of the really crazy stands.
Josuke is brutal.

Ushio and Tora 28

WAKAMOTO APPEARS.

No it won't. Part 4 antagonist is way better then DIO.

JoJo Diamond is Unbreakable 02

Man, this adaptation continues to deliver, I think DP really stepped it up from past seasons. The fight, the expressions, the backgrounds, the small foreshadowing elements, everything is great.

Now, regarding the OP, I love it. I think people are judging it based of the 4 previous ones, but I think that what's so charming about this one is that it has it's own identity, it doesn't try to be a generic shounen opening or to be compared to the previous JoJo openings, it tries to reflect what Diamond is Unbreakable is about, an action story with slice of life parts about the daily life of a young man and his friends trying to solve crimes on a small town at the end of last century. Also, it's stylish as fuck. I'll play it on loop 'til my ears drop.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Luluco Episode 2:

For some reason I want to go watch Yozukra Quartet, Samurai Flamenco and Yuri Kuma Arashi now.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
What Dio void, Dio was barely in part 3 despite being the main antagonist. Not like Part 3's main antagonist was a slouch himself.

Yea, villainy isn't just measured in screen time, Part 3 Dio casted a long shadow over the entire saga and that is something that Diamond Is Unbreakable is missing.

Moonlight

Banned
DIO isn't a great villain in general, IMO. Treads way closer to blunt instrument unlikable than anything else.

Luluco 2

There's something very manic about the way the show stitches together its' scenes, yet all the same there's something subdued about the moment to moment of it, even as you're constantly being hit by another '-justice' of some kind. It gives the show kind of a strange quality to watching it, but I don't know if I dislike it. Anyways, talk of big bangs (ironically) don't tend to make a big impact on me as far as metaphors go, but it's just like first love to sound so lofty and to that end, I think Luluco represents that in a suitably grandiose fashion.

It's good.

Diamond is Unbreakable 2

That was pretty great. Whole production is dripping in, if nothing else, a very clear vision for itself and a very clear stylistic approach - one that's a bit grander in ambition than David Production's more strictly loyal adaptations of before. Enjoyed all the slick transitions and the occasionally diorama-esque construction of the backgrounds (the 'layered' clouds, etc). Josuke is already sympathetic, more brash, but more down to earth (in the areas that matter) compared to Jotaro, and that contrast serves the both of them really well.

The whole episode just went, which is always a good thing in my book. Jojo's fantastic about building up anticipation for the big reveal, and managing to surprise you despite the predictability of the outcome itself, and that went double here. I was really enthusiastic to see how everything from the second half would come together, and wasn't at all disappointed. Josuke's power lends itself to some insanely creative stuff, and much more than I would have given it credit for if I'd read the basics of it off a sheet of paper. Just watching his plans play out inherently feels more interesting to see than Jotaro's own dilemmas, that often just centralized around simply out-thinking the enemy Stand's side of the occasion and leaving his own power for the 'finisher'.

Koe no Katachi first key visual.
Theater release at September 17.

PV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbElewFH464
hngghghg

I'm so excited.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
i wish they used thicker, unsteady outlines for KnK like in the manga but I guess that's not very practical for anime.

Thick lines own though.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yea, villainy isn't just measured in screen time, Part 3 Dio casted a long shadow over the entire saga and that is something that Diamond Is Unbreakable is missing.
Currently missing
, and really now Dio wasn't even the villain of part 2 which was better than 3 and 1 largely. He's a good villain but he doesn't make or break a part when he's barely around.

Crocodile

You know the Pillar Men didn't show up on episode 1 of Battle Tendency right? Just wait dude. The only reason Dio could be used at the start of Part 3 was because you already knew who he was from Part 1.

Pooya

attack on train 1

Cool setting, cute girls, blood and edge everywhere and of course Sawano's random insert song. perfection.

T-Rex.

Banned
Kabaneri* 1

Really enjoyable first episode. Action, soundtrack, humour, nearly everything was on point. AoT became a bore after the first 8 episodes or so, but since this is a shorter season hopefully it doesn't suffer from the same problems.

Line_HTX

Space PatrOL LULUco 02

That's one hell of an entrance with a meteor.

So her Big Bang going through the galaxy was like discovering climaxing, right?

Apps are too good nowadays. Wouldn't be surprised someone would make a teleporting app to shoplift, lol

duckroll

Code Geass Akito the Exiled - Final Chapter - To My Beloved Ones

Wow. Erm. I don't know what to say. I think I have a lot to say about this, both good and bad, mostly bad, but it's really late and I don't think I have the energy to go into detail right now. It'll also help to collect my thoughts on the matter and reflect on what I just watched.

But to keep it brief... what the fuck. It feels like this final chapter is a completely different show from the previous 4 installments of the OVA. There might be many things in this climax which was hinted at or foreshadowed previously, but the actual tone and thematic intent here seems to betray either a shift in what Akane wanted to say, or his inability to decide how he really wanted to end the series. There's so much going on that feels so weird that I can't possibly open a decent argument now so I'll follow this up later in the weekend.

Another thing I noticed is how many abrupt cuts there are between certain segments of scenes. It feels poorly edited and the lack of proper transitions make it feel disjointed and patched together at times. The one other time I distinctly remember seeing presentation like this was in one of the late volumes of Hellsing Ultimate, maybe the8th or 9th one? I really wonder if this is a consequence of there being a half dozen storyboarders and unit directors and the rushed production schedule forcing each unit to just stick their completed parts together without a final editing pass to smooth things over.

As for how the show actually ended. Yeah, there's almost no way I can say I found it satisfying. It has all the hallmarks of being an Akane ending, but probably in the worst ways possible and the attempt to wrap it all up in one neat package is completely unearned, contrived, and frankly.... it just makes no fucking sense. He dropped the ball hard here. :(

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ushio and Tora Season 2, Episode 2:

God damn, I had forgotten how much Ushio can cry and I kind of want to forget again because it is a character trait that got old very fast. Anyway, I suppose we got the quasi-offical love deceleration from Asako yet in spite of what was supposed to be a scene of highly charged emotion and yet it came across as very flat and forced in its execution. Honestly there was more real chemistry between Asako and Mayuko. Also, we get Kamina Ushio this episode and I can honestly say I was not expecting that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom