• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

SMH.
How is Clannad anything even close to a Glasslip rec? He gave Your Lie in April a "10" so there is a high likelyhood he would enjoy it. He may or may not like in the end, but it is a worthy experience regardless. (He based his comments on the shows rating, which I did not provide) This cannot be said of Glasslip. Ugghh.

It's an anime that ranks at the top of a majority of the "best of" lists everywhere for a reason..

I don't think it's the equivalent of a Glasslip recommendation, but Clannad's a show I personally have reservations about. Its melodrama really rubbed me the wrong way, and I found much of the first season to be a slog. That said, it has some great highs later on in the second season, and you did give Your Lie in April a "9", so you'll probably like it more than I did.

Anyway, since you seem to be in the mood for action, here are a few recommendations from me.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - NeoGAF's Anime of the Year 2013, a huge, adventurous space odyssey in the vein of Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica. Solid storytelling supplemented with beautiful art.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - The manga is one of the most influential shonen action series of all time, and the currently-running anime adaptation captures its spirit beautifully. Go through the TV series in order of airing, and you'll eventually catch up to the arc that's out now.

I don't tend to watch sports series (though I adored Ping Pong, as you did), but sometimes I blunder into sports shows disguised as something else.

Gundam Build Fighters - Mecha as sport. It's a big ad for Gundam models aimed at kids (hence the whole thing being free on Gundam's official Youtube channel), but it's glorious. Beautiful robot fights are anchored by a strong cast of characters that play off each other well. Tons of fun even if you, like me, know almost nothing about Gundam.

Girls und Panzer - Tank battle as sport. The premise of an all-girls sport involving tanks firing at each other may be ridiculous, but if you can roll with it and give it an episode or two to warm up, you'll find some of the most thrillingly-orchestrated battles around. It's more than a cute-girls-doing-cute-things show.

pbayne

Can't wait. I wonder how faithful they plan on being to the manga.

Id assume they'll cut out most of the side character arcs more or less. Just focus on Ishida and Nishimiya. It'll definitely be an interesting adaption in terms of what exactly they'll decide to focus on.

duckroll

Attack on Train ; aka Kanaberi of the Iron Fortress - Episode 1

That was a good start. It's big, it's loud, it's cheesy, it's edgy, and the designs and action are top notch. Everything looks attractive, everything feels dumb, everything is derivative yet energetic. I think this very much represents the director's soul. He loves zombies. He loves supernatural stuff. He loves melodrama. And he loves larger than life action. Unless this gets boring as shit mid-way through, I'm going to be staying on this train for the entire ride!

phaze

SMH.
How is Clannad anything even close to a Glasslip rec? He gave Your Lie in April a "10" so there is a high likelyhood he would enjoy it. He may or may not like in the end, but it is a worthy experience regardless. (He based his comments on the shows rating, which I did not provide) This cannot be said of Glasslip. Ugghh.

Clannad is a show I've seen plenty of hate and backlash towards and I think he's better off knowing that the reception of it hasn't been universally favourable. (Ok it never is but with Clannad to a much bigger extent I dare say)

Amagami SS 1-3
0153209gs10.jpg
01532178slg.jpg
0153404is9w.jpg
rmdSx.gif

rrvv

After making the mistake of reading the manga. I can only hope that Yoshida does some of her magic with the script.

Just focus on
the middle school day and end the movie when they meet in high school
. The manga concept is really good but is pretty obvious that the author is still amateur. If they just take the concept and play around with it, then it should be good

Clov

If I ever get the chance to check out one of their streams, i'd like to inquire about Samumenco. When they first picked up the show they announced home video rights.

I want to give them the $250 they'll inevitably ask for the series on bluray.

I'll keep an eye out for when their next Twitch stream is, and I'll post about it here. Then we can pester them about why they won't let us give them our money. Like you, I'm willing to pay a good price for what I want!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'll keep an eye out for when their next Twitch stream is, and I'll post about it here. Then we can pester them about why they won't let us give them our money. Like you, I'm willing to pay a good price for what I want!
Ask for Monogatari commentaries please.

lol

JulianImp

Ask for Monogatari commentaries please.

lol

I'm still really salty about that.

¥6K for half an arc with commentaries is too rich for my blood, and Aniplex offering whole arcs for the same price doesn't help since they skip on the commentaries, which was the one thing I was actually looking forward to.

e_i

Anne Happy episode 1

OP is god tier. Show is pretty cute. The characters remind me of the ones from Is The Order a Rabbit? I see the stirrings of yuri. I think I've found my anime of the season.

I can't believe there is a girl online in my MMO but she's fucking dere crazy and then somehow my life turned into a harem episode 1

Heh, saw that coming a mile away.

From the New World 9

This was probably the episode with the least animation so far. Strangely enough, it was also the best episode so far. It certainly is the first episode I can't complain about. Even the first episode had chaotic direction that made it a bit difficult for me to get into. But this, this was perfect. The pacing was so good, knowing just how long to linger on shots for maximum tension. And the shots were really good themselves! So many striking, atmospheric images.

Saki's incredibly elongated shadow stretching into darkness, framed by barren trees with their own shadows stretching off to the sides. It speaks.volumes of Saki's fear at venturing into this unknown, warped environment.

The dirtiness of this dictionary page, with what look like scorch marks crowding in on the characters, convey's Saki's disordered mind as she searches her memory for her name's meaning.

Even a shot as simple as this, by cutting off Saki's face with the wall, expresses her inner conflict as well as her conflict with her parents.

Even the title card, with its slow, gradual reveal character-by-character, was striking! So good.

duckroll

Concrete Revolutio - Episode 14

I love it when a high concept serialized show I'm invested in returns for a new season and starts off on all the right notes. The first season ended with a bunch of questions about how certain things would develop between the time skip gap, and while this episode doesn't answer all of them, it provides really nice context for what to expect moving forward. The flash-forwards in the first season only gave glimpses of incidents, but often without context. Now having some of that context, it makes this season so much more exciting.

With a setting and a scope like Concrete Revolutio, you either go big or go home, and it sure looks like they're going big. I'm glad it looks like Aikawa has finally crafted another show which I'm satisfied with, because when he gets it right, he gets it so right. This episode had above average music direction too, and while it's not a full on sakuga showcase, there were some pretty nice cuts. More importantly, it was a very dense episode where lots of things happened, but it's far easier to follow than some of the stuff from early in the first season.

The OP and ED are fucking boss too. Beats the crap out of most of the ones I've seen this season so far. Matches the music so well, and some really nice animation. The breakdancing in the OP was really fun, and I love how Suzuki animated the various characters doing showcase action stuff in the ED. The ED reminds me a lot of his Soul Eater EDs. The OP also promises some really bitchin' designs to look forward to in this season. Mmmmm. :D

10/10, would BONES again.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress - 01

Was alright I guess. I think the engineering part of it was cool, with MC's little workshop of experimental stuff. Probably most excited to see what things he'll cook up.
Also can't shake off Ushio's voice (Ushio to Tora show) off of him. All I see is Ushio when he speaks. Especially when he defended the suspected zombie dude I was like man this is so Ushio it hurts.

Black Hat

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress - 01

8lcJw.gif

I liked it. Did feel like a bit of a reboot of Attack on Titan early on... but I think this story has more potential.

Concrete Revolutio - Episode 14

The OP and ED are fucking boss too. Beats the crap out of most of the ones I've seen this season so far. Matches the music so well, and some really nice animation. The breakdancing in the OP was really fun, and I love how Suzuki animated the various characters doing showcase action stuff in the ED. The ED reminds me a lot of his Soul Eater EDs. The OP also promises some really bitchin' designs to look forward to in this season. Mmmmm. :D

The only other OP/EDs this season which I've really loved are Umetsu's Bungo Stray Dogs ED and Ebata's Shounen Maid OP.

Edit: I nearly forgot because I had no idea this show existed until today, but the Ahare Meisaku-kun ED is really cool too.

phaze

Hey, her name is Koko and she is loco!

I don't think anyone called her that yet. lol And they are all loco ...
You still have the penguin suit section edit they made to the end of a girls's route to get through.

I take it this is not far removed from where I'm at ? They can't be devoting more than a few eps to one girl if they have so many still to cover.

Haruka-senpai is great, but you still haven't gone through Kaoru and Ayatsuji-san. I guess Nanasaki is alright too.

My morbid curiosity can only take me so far ...

And how does this even work ? Do they reset the timeline to starting point everytime it switches to new arc/girl ?

-----

Naruto canon returns on may 5. Rejoice sheeple.

Narag

Concrete Revolutio 14

justice. Justice. JUSTICE

This is off to a promising start right out of the gate as it's making good on promises made during the first cour in a time where the stakes are now far higher.

Space Patrol Luluco Ep 2

Well that was certainly a lot of justice that was delivered, hard to get a handle on the series thus far but I like the odd atmosphere they built with the string theme for Alpha Omega Nova and the use of photos to create interesting street locations works very well. Raises a grin from me thus far without any deep laughs but hell it's a 8 minute thing so I reckon I'll see this to the end.

Wanderer5

Space Patrol Luluco #2

Classroom gets wrecked by Lulu Gun, and then by Alpha Omega Nova (lol) via a freaking meteorite. No fucks given by the teacher; we are in the middle of a exam, and oh here a new transfer student.

Was kind of a slow burn this week, but the intro to AΩ Nova was good, along with his theme. Also lol, "Save the World," what a name for a villain. I guessing next week, we will get the intro to that other space patrol girl.

Puruzi

Banned
Luluco 2

So, she saw the guy kill the squid and them turned into a gun and orgasmed which then killed the squid even further

WqyC4jJ.jpg

Concrete Revolutio 14

The part with S planetarian escaping was pretty good, the animation of him breaking free looked rather impressive. I couldn't help but laugh when I saw the car standing still and flying away with S plantetarian though, so goofy combined with the song.

Seems like they'll wrap up the arcs of all the side-characters first with Angel Star appearing in the next episode. I'm content if that's the approach they're taking for the first few episodes of the new season.

Good to have this back, OP and ED were also hype. But the first ED resonates a bit more with me than the new one.

Gvitor

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress 01

Yeah, this really is very Attack on Titan-y. It's also very much enjoyable and pretty. 11 animes and counting this season, damn. I really need to drop like half of them.

Concrete Revolution Episode 14

Cfh2hRnVAAIDlEy.jpg
Cfh5a4sUUAAV78k.jpg

Im glad Fuurouta is back with us and a few other faves.

Fumers part was interesting though it was confusing if it was chief/fumers controlling Jiro or if it was Jiro himself, though it did seem to say incomplete so I guess not fully.

First ED is better songwise, The Beginning is so iconic and defines the series.

Narag

Concrete Revolution Episode 14

Cfh2hRnVAAIDlEy.jpg
Cfh5a4sUUAAV78k.jpg

Im glad Fuurouta is back with us and a few other faves.

Fumers part was interesting though it was confusing if it was chief/fumers controlling Jiro or if it was Jiro himself, though it did seem to say incomplete so I guess not fully.

First ED is better songwise, The Beginning is so iconic and defines the series.

At the end of the first cour, Akita said it was arrogant for them to try and control things with their powers alone. I imagine they're helping Jiro instead as they see him as necessary for whatever role he has coming up. The guy who said that about them was really biased against them so can't be trusted.

Qurupeke

Concrete Revolution 14

And the show is back! Really strong opening episode, that established two really important facts about Jiro. There are some entities, the Fumers, like the former president of the Bureau, who essentially train him and he has his mecha back. I can't wait to see more of Equus, especially now that Jiro controls his power. This episode seemed similar to the very first tone, dealing with the S Planetarian again, I liked that. It also managed to explain why Shiba Raito defected. I expected it to happen like that, but I loved this scene.

The OP and ED were awesome too. They had some really ominous imagery with Emi, especially the OP. I really wonder what's Emi's role in the whole story. Does she just love Jiro, or she's after more? She represents youkai, but we've barely seen anything about them, so I'm sure we'll see more soon. Anyway, really looking forward to more!

Edit: Another interesting scene that I noticed on the OP: Hyouma vanishes. Or more likely gets erased out of existence. Considering his origins, I doubt it's just a visual effect.

Narag

I suspect Jiro gave a part of himself to her in episode 8 when she offered to tell Jiro where to find Rainbow Knight in exchange for granting her own wish. Anymore I see her as just protecting that investment for one reason or another as the line between love and possessiveness blurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom