• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Onegai Teacher ep10-END:
XZ2F9AB.gif

Alright, there was something really, really good and heartfelt about that ending, however, the whole execution/presentation was way off. Was it a drama, a romance, an ecchi show(not much ecchi at all really)? It’s like the show couldn’t find the identity it wanted to take and came up with a really awkward ending to settle everything. Granted, there were some really heartfelt moments in the epilogue, however,
the memory loss/time skip
and the way that changed everyone was awkward and makes waste of all the drama that happened earlier in the show between all the different relationships/friends. In the end, the best girl is left in the dust but everyone else did move forward in their own way. At its core, the show presents an interesting love story that has some sweet moments, but they got lost in whether they wanted to make it a sweet love story or a drama about an awkward love that shouldn’t be. I still enjoyed it and the ending was very sweet indeed. Although, that episode 13 (OVA), umm, yeah, I guess they had to fill in a bunch of tropes all at once for an OVA episode numbered as “13” but yeah, they didn’t need to make this one.

Line_HTX

haha Concrete Revolutio second OP is 10/10 with the Hyouma moves

MwESXC8.gif

This is like a victory gif. Nice windmill moves there, haha

My morbid curiosity can only take me so far ...

And how does this even work ? Do they reset the timeline to starting point everytime it switches to new arc/girl ?

It's sort of a reset, but it doesn't go back to the starting point. It's weird because some of them would run into each other. Oh, and if you choose to watch SS Plus, which I hope you do, they go in reverse order in half the time. It's actually better because they don't waste your time.

;P

People who like Emi are going to like the new ending.
download.png

Also goddamn that fox spirit looks evil.

I like Emi. The OL outfits always get me.

Line_HTX

Onegai Teacher ep10-END:

Alright, there was something really, really good and heartfelt about that ending, however, the whole execution/presentation was way off, was it a dram, a romance, an ecchi show(not much ecchi at all really)? It’s like the show couldn’t find the identity it wanted to take and came up with a really awkward ending to settle everything. Granted, there were some really heartfelt moments in the epilogue, however,
and the way that changed everyone was awkward and makes waste of all the drama that happened earlier in the show between all the different relationships/friends. In the end, the best girl is left in the dust but everyone else did move forward in their own way. At its core, the show presents an interesting love story that has some sweet moments, but they got lost in whether they wanted to make it a sweet love story or a drama about an awkward love that shouldn’t be. I still enjoyed it and the ending was very sweet indeed. Although, that episode 13, umm, yeah, I guess they had to fill in a bunch of tropes all at once for an OVA episode numbered as “13” but yeah, they didn’t need to make this one.

Now that you're done with that, you can immediately go on to Please Twins!

Cornbread78

Now that you're done with that, you can immediately go on to Please Twins!

Maiku Kamishiro's past has always been somewhat of a mystery to him. The only clue he has to who his family might be is an old photograph showing two young children, a boy and a girl, playing in a small pool outside of a blue house. In an attempt to find his family, he moves to this blue house and begins working as a programmer. He's living a comfortable life until the day two very different girls show up at his door, both in possession of the same photograph, and both claiming to be his twin. With no way to prove who is a relative and who is a stranger, Maiku allows both girls to move in with him until they know for sure.

Interesting... But one of them is his sister man.,,,

Moonlight

Banned
Space PatrOL LULUco 02

That's one hell of an entrance with a meteor.

So her Big Bang going through the galaxy was like discovering climaxing, right?
I know Imaishi has this thing about puberty and sexual maturity, but I didn't get that impression at all from her ruminations over her 'big bang'. Seemed pretty straightforward about love being this new 'birth' for who she is.

duckroll

Wait is CR S2 a Friday show now? I thought it was still on Sundays.

It's Sunday on Japanese TV, but Daisuki being a production partner has cut a SWEET deal for us all by having it early on Friday!

(Pro-tip: This means the show is such a bomb no one in Japan wants to fight for this.)

Line_HTX

Interesting... But one of them is his sister man.,,,

IIRC nothing ridiculous happened. Plus the characters from Please Teacher make appearances too.

I know Imaishi has this thing about puberty and sexual maturity, but I didn't get that impression at all from her ruminations over her 'big bang'. Seemed pretty straightforward about love being this new 'birth' for who she is.

Yeah, I got ya. I guess it's newfound sense of justice after seeing Nova shoot that squid??

Line_HTX

It's Sunday on Japanese TV, but Daisuki being a production partner has cut a SWEET deal for us all by having it early on Friday!

(Pro-tip: This means the show is such a bomb no one in Japan wants to fight for this.)

Damn... That means bad ratings and average BD sales too?

=/

Concrete Revolutio S1 was a Space Dandy level flop.

Speaking of CR, Emi is interesting in that she is probably the most villainous looking character in the entire show now. Her whole relationship with Jiro seems rather predatory to be honest.
She lies and goes behind his back, issues ultimatums, at one point openly wishes she could just kill Kikko, and still sees him as hers despite Jiro seemingly rejecting her.

That said, I don't think she's going to actually become a villain.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Onegai Twins was one of the first anime my girlfriend at the time made me watch. So weird.

duckroll

Concrete Revolutio S1 was a Space Dandy level flop.

Speaking of CR, Emi is interesting in that she is probably the most villainous looking character in the entire show now. Her whole relationship with Jiro seems rather predatory to be honest.

She lies and goes behind his back, issues ultimatums, at one point openly wishes she could just kill Kikko, and still sees him as hers despite Jiro seemingly rejecting her.

That said, I don't think she's going to actually become a villain.

Emi is not a villain, like most of the characters in ConRevo, she's simply representative of the nature of what her character is based on. She is the master of fox spirits, and probably some sort of Japanese folklore deity. As such deceit, manipulation of mortals, and unreasonably pining over a mortal who she has set her eyes on is perfectly normal to her.

pbayne

Ushio and Tora 28

Same problem as last week, just too much shit happening at once and im not given enough information or context to care about it. It still feels like a lot of important stuff has happened off screen and the show just expects you to accept it. There's no real tension since its just a bunch of action scenes smashed together with no forethought.
I really hope next week is 20 minutes of talking and exposition just to catch me up and make me care about what the characters are doing again.

Diamond is Unbreakable 2

Glorious. Some of the flow and transitions between scenes is seamless.
Holy god the violence and gore is through the roof as well.

Ushio and Tora 28

Same problem as last week, just too much shit happening at once and im not given enough information or context to care about it. It still feels like a lot of important stuff has happened off screen and the show just expects you to accept it. There's no real tension since its just a bunch of action scenes smashed together with no forethought.
I really hope next week is 20 minutes of talking and exposition just to catch me up and make me care about what the characters are doing again.

Diamond is Unbreakable 2

Glorious. Some of the flow and transitions between scenes is seamless.
Holy god the violence and gore is through the roof as well.
This is because it did. The anime has skipped a lot of material for the sake of time

Ushio and Tora Episode 28 – I Won't Lose Anyone Else

The first season was very problematic and this season still remains problematic. I usually just have it in the background while I plan out experiments for work and even while doing that I still see the significant issues with this anime. This arc ought to have started out by easing us into things rather than thrusting us into this multidimensional cross race war with tons of enemies fighting at once while Ushio and Tora remain little entities in this thing. More time ought to have been spent over many episodes leading to this event. Then its resolved too fast.

pbayne

This is because it did. The anime has skipped a lot of material for the sake of time

Yeah i remember you mentioning that last week. Its still odd to me though that season one in comparison felt very leisurely paced. Like it was generally monster of the week type stuff but they struck a good balance between character growth, plot progression and action. So yeah i guess the cuts from the manga just haven't been handled as well for setting up this arc or they didn't take the full adaption into account during the first season.

Ushio and Tora Episode 28 – I Won't Lose Anyone Else

The first season was very problematic and this season still remains problematic. I usually just have it in the background while I plan out experiments for work and even while doing that I still see the significant issues with this anime. This arc ought to have started out by easing us into things rather than thrusting us into this multidimensional cross race war with tons of enemies fighting at once while Ushio and Tora remain little entities in this thing. More time ought to have been spent over many episodes leading to this event. Then its resolved too fast.

That's a nice summary of it.
Id bring up the episode in season one where all the girls teamed up to help Ushio for comparison. Remember how great that felt because it had been built up and earned throughout the course of the show.
This arc is just so rushed and unearned in comparison. It makes it so hard to care about anything the characters are doing.

John Blade

NOTE: Spoiler in my impression. So, if you never watch the show and want to, please stop now.

I am actually kinda like this show as of now. I think it might be how simple the show is when I watch and also how much filler they put into this show which don't expand the story. Not saying this is bad as it actually help me not to think too hard when going into.

The 1st few episodes help step up the story of the series and give you a very good idea of what you're getting yourself into. Also, you have a good idea of the secondary characters in the show even though they personality as of now is generic. I guess this might interesting as I continue watching.

The hidden crush with Godai and Kyoko will most likely fun to watch is it's now a one sided. Watching Godai trying so many way to get her attention or try to tell his crush is fun to watch but also kinda sad. Also, everyone feel they is some crush and poke fun at
Kyoko which is fun to watch. I guess she still think that she is be nice to Godai was to help him to past the exam which work (kinda).

The final episode of when Godai found out the true story of Souichiro just set up a situation which he know he won't able to beat and you can sense the jealously near the end. I guess he realize he can't get Koyoko so, he will try to be the nice guy to protect her without knowing of how Koyoko feel toward him.

Overall, a fun 6 episodes. Most of the episode set up the story of the show and also the characters which is fine. I liking it so far and see where this will take. I guess Godai will have to express his feeling toward her but I don't think Koyoko will think of this feeling as those love crush a young man have with an older lady. Godai will need to prove his feeling toward her which will be interesting to see.

Yeah i remember you mentioning that last week. Its still odd to me though that season one in comparison felt very leisurely paced. Like it was generally monster of the week type stuff but they struck a good balance between character growth, plot progression and action. So yeah i guess the cuts from the manga just haven't been handled as well for setting up this arc or they didn't take the full adaption into account during the first season.

That's a nice summary of it.
Id bring up the episode in season one where all the girls teamed up to help Ushio for comparison. Remember how great that felt because it had been built up and earned throughout the course of the show.
This arc is just so rushed and unearned in comparison. It makes it so hard to care about anything the characters are doing.
I mean, certain things, like the arc introducing the western yokai were cut entirely. A lot of it wasn't too necessary, but that was a huge omission. There's another huge omission in regards to the Black Tora-look-alike from this episode, Guren, but given him being here as well as some stuff in the opening I think they may have just moved it rather than got rid of it entirely

Ultimately, a lot of monster of the week and downtime stuff needed to be cut for the episode count, and the split cour probably was a necessary evil for production since by the time the first two cours ended, we were already nearing endgame and without wasting an episode on a monster of the week episode, there wouldn't really be a way to start slowly for this cour

Cornbread78

My Bride is a Mermaid ep.1-2
RnXFVEq.gif

Holy shit that was funny. I bust out loud laughing waaay too much at the first couple episodes. The whole set-up is outlandish as hell, but man, it was some funny stuff. The scene right before the above was hilarious, as well as a few of the others, but the whole Yakuza mermaid mob boss father and regular earth dwelling human is some funny stuff so far... Sata-san has everyone's attention, lol.

Ascheroth

My Bride is a Mermaid ep.1-2
RnXFVEq.gif

Holy shit that was funny. I bust out loud laughing waaay too much at the first couple episodes. The whole set-up is outlandish as well, but man, it was some funny stuff. The scene right before the above was hilarious, as well as a few of the other, but the whole Yakuza mermaid mob boss father and regular earth dwelling human is some funny stuff so far... Sata-san has everyone's attention, lol.

You have seen nothing ;)

JoJo Diamond is Unbreakable - 02

Some pretty great transitions in this episode. I also payed too much attention at the clouds to my surprise, they just looked so damn soft.
ED song is nice, reminds me very much of a swedish artist I used to listen to a lot, who was active in the 90's. Brings back memories.

TERRAFORMARS REVENGE Episode 2 – The Captain's Rage
CfjFgOqUAAEqy1L.jpg
CfjGKpLUMAEXBK1.jpg

Yes China is finally animated and they are so glorious, especially Liu. This is like all I ever wanted for Terraformars animated as this arc is incredible and the best of the series. The whole part when they were activating the AA for the Annex 1 was incredible. And then
the fight end of episode, awesome

OST is really good this season as well and Zwei did a good ed song.

we even have BAO!!!!

Onegai Teacher ep10-END:
Alright, there was something really, really good and heartfelt about that ending, however, the whole execution/presentation was way off. Was it a drama, a romance, an ecchi show(not much ecchi at all really)? It’s like the show couldn’t find the identity it wanted to take and came up with a really awkward ending to settle everything. Granted, there were some really heartfelt moments in the epilogue, however,
and the way that changed everyone was awkward and makes waste of all the drama that happened earlier in the show between all the different relationships/friends. In the end, the best girl is left in the dust but everyone else did move forward in their own way. At its core, the show presents an interesting love story that has some sweet moments, but they got lost in whether they wanted to make it a sweet love story or a drama about an awkward love that shouldn’t be. I still enjoyed it and the ending was very sweet indeed. Although, that episode 13 (OVA), umm, yeah, I guess they had to fill in a bunch of tropes all at once for an OVA episode numbered as “13” but yeah, they didn’t need to make this one.

God I wish this show was on Blu-Ray. If it is, I'm sorry that I haven't seen it yet.

Onegai Teacher ep10-END:
Now do you understand the power of Pocky?

Please Twins isn't really any better. You'd be better off watching Ano Natsu de Matteru, which is kind of a sequel to the Please franchise that's much better than what came before it.

Sölf

Concrete Revolutio S2 01
The show is still a convoluted mess. Why had I even hopes for something different? It's the exact same thing as before. You start at some point, in this case the future or present or whatever time period that is supposed to be, then go back in time for the rest of the episode and return to the presten/future at the end. And from the looks of it the next episode will again do the exact same thing. I still don't understand why half the cast is doing what they are doing because again I get the feeling that we are again in the future and somewhere in between something had happened so that shit went south again. Ugh, why was I even remotely interested in this.

Cornbread78

So what's good this season?

Probably a bit early to yell, but Kabaneri and My Hero Academia had a really good first impressions (JoJo as well). Netoge, Twin Exorcist, Re:Zero and Cryer us got good to mixed rations so far.

Oh and you can't sleep on Mayoiga, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom