• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

I'll keep an eye out for when their next Twitch stream is, and I'll post about it here. Then we can pester them about why they won't let us give them our money. Like you, I'm willing to pay a good price for what I want!

I appreciate it! And yeah, we gotta get the shows that we want!
I take it this is not far removed from where I'm at ? They can't be devoting more than a few eps to one girl if they have so many still to cover.
It's for Nakata Sae's route. The one with the voice you probably won't like, haha.
Uchuu Shoujo Patororu Luluco - 02
Worldbuilding.

Is the ED done by the same person as the Yurikuma Arashi ED? I swear it's the same breathy voice. Although, I saw Teddyloid in the credits so maybe it's the person he had on ME!ME!ME!

ED Bonjour Suzuki, who did Yurikuma OP.

Sölf;200511376 said:
Concrete Revolutio S2 01
The show is still a convoluted mess. Why had I even hopes for something different? It's the exact same thing as before. You start at some point, in this case the future or present or whatever time period that is supposed to be, then go back in time for the rest of the episode and return to the presten/future at the end. And from the looks of it the next episode will again do the exact same thing. I still don't understand why half the cast is doing what they are doing because again I get the feeling that we are again in the future and somewhere in between something had happened so that shit went south again. Ugh, why was I even remotely interested in this.
Yeah, this is why I'm hesitant to watch the 2nd half of this show. It always teetered on the edge when it came to coherency and now that I've forgotten much of what happened after a long break it probably won't help. Concrete Revolutio was always a more interesting show to read other people's thoughts on than it was to actually watch anyway.

I continue to be baffled at how Concrete Revolutio can come across as incoherent to some people. I guess if you're not familiar with Japanese history or at least Japanese year naming conventions it can be a bit confusing, but otherwise it's pretty clear what's going on. The show explicitly tells you what time period every scene is taking place in, after all.

zulux21

Time for a bit of a skip beat update post.

The kickstarter has started announcing the cast. And so far it seems pretty good.
Kanae Kotonami will be played by Erica Lindbeck! (Kaori in you lie in april)
Sho Fuwa will be played by Grant George! (lancer fate/zero)
Ren Tsuruga will be played by Robbie Daymond (tuxedo mask in new sailor moon dub)

and...
Yukihito Yashiro will be played by Vic Mignogna (edward Elric in FMA)

one week left with 25k to the goal and 55k to blu rays.
please share with your friends if you haven't already.

Narag

I continue to be baffled at how Concrete Revolutio can come across as incoherent to some people. I guess if you're not familiar with Japanese history or at least Japanese year naming conventions it can be a bit confusing, but otherwise it's pretty clear what's going on. The show explicitly tells you what time period every scene is taking place in, after all.

To add, here's a handy dandy timeline I put together.

To fit today's stuff in:
Episode 14 conversation between JIro & Raito took place two weeks after their fight in Episode 3. Rest of the episode was six months after Kikko encountered Jiro on the train.

convo

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable 2

Some pretty graphic scenes at the start. Gross. I'm actually thankful to the dumb censoring. Anyway, I didn't like the fight much. I hoped that Josuke would be different from Jotaro, but the trick with the glove was the most Jotaro-like thing ever. I hoped for some crazy use of his stand. At least that freaky Angelo is gone.

Him punching a hole through his mother sure is a pretty specific thing only he can do. Also he shredded those gloves and reformed them with his stand. That punishment sure was a creative use of his powers also. I really don't see what you're getting at at all.
Is your suggestion to have more imagination ? Because boy , the future isn't gonna be guessable.

To add, here's a handy dandy timeline I put together.

To fit today's stuff in:
Episode 14 conversation between JIro & Raito took place two weeks after their fight in Episode 3. Rest of the episode was six months after Kikko encountered Jiro on the train.
This kind of proves the point though. Few people watching this show on a week to week basis and then coming back after 3+ month break are going to have a strong handle on this complicated structure. I knew what was going on in December, but I don't have the motivation to research it again before watching the second half, not when I didn't think the first half was especially great. I feel like anyone binge watching it gets a completely different experience.

Narag

This kind of proves the point though. Few people watching this show on a week to week basis and then coming back after 3+ month break are going to have a strong handle on this complicated structure.

Going into S2, one shouldn't be surprised by it but I definitely agree the show is almost too dense for a week to week format with the amount of information one needs to keep track of. I didn't even give it a chance initially due to early impressions overstating how convoluted it was. I can't hold it against anyone for being put off by this either as I'm aware my bingewatch experience mitigated a lot of frustration and confusion.

That said, I think there's something really good in there for those that stuck with it and while I appreciate the novel story structure, it's really hard to fault the viewer in this case if they don't want to expend extra effort in watching it by keeping track of everything.

pbayne

Baby Steps 4-8

I can't get the damn OP out of my head. Its just too feel good and catchy.
Fair play to the show for having Eichiro lose a lot to start off. And cant believe a year has passed in the show already. And i know the show has a second season so at this pace Eichiro must end up going pro or play in international tournaments at some point just to continue the story.
Lol at Sasaki showing interest in Eichiro. Even a blind person could see the show shipping him hard with Natsu.

Going into S2, one shouldn't be surprised by it but I definitely agree the show is almost too dense for a week to week format with the amount of information one needs to keep track of. I didn't even give it a chance initially due to early impressions overstating how convoluted it was. I can't hold it against anyone for being put off by this either as I'm aware my bingewatch experience mitigated a lot of frustration and confusion.

That said, I think there's something really good in there for those that stuck with it and while I appreciate the novel story structure, it's really hard to fault the viewer in this case if they don't want to expend extra effort in watching it by keeping track of everything.

It's certainly true that you can't treat Concrete Revolutio as disposable entertainment if you want to get anything out of it. Considering how few anime demand careful attention and intelligence from its viewers, I can understand why many anime fans would be put off by this.

Qurupeke

Soremachi 1-5

apDcXF6.png
bD4uL0D.png
X8L9AzA.png
Zm11d8g.png
0E86DAp.png
B9Qaake.png

This is fun. It's not just a very good comedy, but I'd say it's great on everything it does. Even if it takes a more SoL approach, or even if it tells a omantic story, like in that short but cute story between Takeru and Eri, it does a great job on making everything stand out. And it has some really clever stuff, I'm impressed about some of the situations presented in the show, like the puzzle with the "Eyes" painting. Of course, the show is full of the usual "Shaftism"; head-tilts, weird perspectives, close ups, focus on lips or hands. I was thinking that they'd probably feel off on a comedy, but they're great on this. Also, it has several "skits" but it actually seems to have a certain continuity, really neat.

Hotori is just adorable. Great reactions, funny faces, I love her klutziness and her energy, she has a cute innocence and she comes off as someone that seems dumb but she's actually witty. The voice actress does an INCREDIBLE job portraying her character, everything I mentioned becomes apparent just by her voice. I'm really amazed by her performance. But Hotori's best moments in the show, are certainly her interactions with the second best character, Moriaki sensei. At first, I misread his name as Moriarty, which actually made a lot of sense, heh. Anyway, their interactions are pure gold. I couldn't stop laughing when he suggested that Hotori was his old teacher that time-travelled just to annoy him, his expression was amazing. I didn't expect to like the teacher that much, but his voice actor, none other than Sugita, does a fantastic job too. I also love his fondness of mathematics and the antithesis of his pragmatic approach of life and Hotori's "out of the box" thinking. Really, I could just watch the show for the two of them, such an incredible duet. I really hope the show has more of them and their love-hate relationship.

Moreover, the show has both an incredible OP and a really good ED. Funny and cute, like the show.

Yeah, I'm by no means calling it a bad show. I actually quite enjoy reading the in-depth breakdowns you and others do.

I'm leaning towards waiting until the show is done and then watching the whole thing because the week-to-week format does hinder my enjoyment of it.

It's certainly true that you can't treat Concrete Revolutio as disposable entertainment if you want to get anything out of it. Considering how few anime demand careful attention and intelligence from its viewers, I can understand why many anime fans would be put off by this.
Oh dear.

Just in case I was misunderstood, I'm not saying that people who don't enjoy Concrete Revolutio aren't intelligent or anything like that. I'm just saying that most anime is fairly straightforward in its storytelling and can be easily enjoyed on a fairly mindless level, so watching Concrete Revolutio has to be a different kind of engagement than the most common ways anime fans engage with shows they're watching.

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans 18-19

A lot happened in these two episodes.
Tekkadan is finally on Earth, Our Char clone's motives become more clear, and Ein might be dead.
Two very good episodes overall.

phaze

You have no taste in OPs.

I try ;_;

Soremachi 1-5

Hotori is just adorable. Great reactions, funny faces, I love her klutziness and her energy, she has a cute innocence and she comes off as someone that seems dumb but she's actually witty. The voice actress does an INCREDIBLE job portraying her character, everything I mentioned becomes apparent just by her voice. I'm really amazed by her performance. But Hotori's best moments in the show, are certainly her interactions with the second best character, Moriaki sensei. At first, I misread his name as Moriarty, which actually made a lot of sense, heh. Anyway, their interactions are pure gold. I couldn't stop laughing when he suggested that Hotori was his old teacher that time-travelled just to annoy him, his expression was amazing. I didn't expect to like the teacher that much, but his voice actor, none other than Sugita, does a fantastic job too. I also love his fondness of mathematics and the antithesis of his pragmatic approach of life and Hotori's "out of the box" thinking. Really, I could just watch the show for the two of them, such an incredible duet. I really hope the show has more of them and their love-hate relationship.

Moreover, the show has both an incredible OP and a really good ED. Funny and cute, like the show.

Teacher stuff were also my favourite comedic bits along with those during
skipping school
episode. But IIRC, there's not much of him later on. :(

Qurupeke

Him punching a hole through his mother sure is a pretty specific thing only he can do. Also he shredded those gloves and reformed them with his stand. That punishment sure was a creative use of his powers also. I really don't see what you're getting at at all.
Is your suggestion to have more imagination ? Because boy , the future isn't gonna be guessable.

Punching holes through people aside,he hasn't done much with his ability to really stand out. The trick with the glove wasn't something that could be done specifically by Josuke, it actually reminded me a lot of what Jotaro had done with his heart in order to deceive DIO. Someone suggested that this kind of tricks is more close to Joseph though, and I can agree with that. In any case, the glove seemed a bit random to me, but there are things that pointed out to it and I didn't notice them when I watched the episode, so you could say my comment is somewhat "dated" now, as I appreciate the fight more. Still, yeah, I want some more imagination. The stand has an incredible power that can be used in very creative ways. I guess there's more to come, so I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Teacher stuff were also my favourite comedic bits along with those during
skipping school
episode. But IIRC, there's not much of him later on. :(

image.php

Ushio & Tora 28

It really does feel like this series needed another 12-13 episodes, or at least some ova's in-between the seasons to adapt a few of the arcs that got skipped seem really important. It feels like entered Final Act territory where they're rapidly rushing stuff at the start to have a really well paced finale and while this will make the finale excellent, it makes the middle of the series uneven

Line_HTX

Just in case I was misunderstood, I'm not saying that people who don't enjoy Concrete Revolutio aren't intelligent or anything like that. I'm just saying that most anime is fairly straightforward in its storytelling and can be easily enjoyed on a fairly mindless level, so watching Concrete Revolutio has to be a different kind of engagement than the most common ways anime fans engage with shows they're watching.

I was about to say...

Though, you're right about careful attention. I wouldn't call it vague, but it can get confusing as it's jumbled in different places.

JCG

Code Geass Akito the Exiled - Final Chapter - To My Beloved Ones

It feels like this final chapter is a completely different show from the previous 4 installments of the OVA. There might be many things in this climax which was hinted at or foreshadowed previously, but the actual tone and thematic intent here seems to betray either a shift in what Akane wanted to say, or his inability to decide how he really wanted to end the series. There's so much going on that feels so weird that I can't possibly open a decent argument now so I'll follow this up later in the weekend.

After reading a few interviews on the subject, they only reinforce the feeling that Akane is still a talented and creative director...except not a very disciplined one. Which is kind of ironic, because it seems Sunrise and/or the committee (plus the OVA format itself) gave him more freedom than that assigned to the staff of the TV series. Sadly, in the end Akane comes across like more of a slacker than a professional. Someone who just had to bite off more than what he could chew and didn't fully realize it.

Again, this is a creator who has said that he wasn't bothered if people didn't understand what he was going for with Akito the Exiled. There might be some artistic value to that stance, but it's not great storytelling. That said, he wasn't being actually nonsensical here. There's a lot of small hints in previous episodes and such, which support the idea that the major revelations were always going to happen, but I think you're right about the changes. It's clear Akane had second thoughts about how to conclude the narrative somewhere along the line (I'd say the big shift happened between chapters 2 and 3, given that no episodes were released in 2014). He either should have hired some more writers to help him out (Ohnogi worked on the scripts for Akito 2 and 3, not any of the others...those were all up to Akane and Miya Asakawa), or just made up his mind back at the start of the project.

I don't think the ending was entirely unsatisfying, but I get why people may not accept the contrivances. They make things feel sloppy and that's going to annoy those who wanted an all-around good execution with no such shortcuts. As for the editing...perhaps it'll be a little smoother when the disc release comes out (no, it's not out yet).

Terraformars Revenge 1

Is this really by the same studio because tonally and budget wise this felt completely different with far more inappropriate humor scenes and character art and animation that looked really different to the point I barely recognize the main character. I also expected with a title like revenge for the violence to not be toned down and mostly become off screen. Yes the big black circles were comically dumb in the original season but I'd prefer that to off screen nothing.

Terraformars Revenge 1

Is this really by the same studio because tonally and budget wise this felt completely different with far more inappropriate humor scenes and character art and animation that looked really different to the point I barely recognize the main character. I also expected with a title like revenge for the violence to not be toned down and mostly become off screen. Yes the big black circles were comically dumb in the original season but I'd prefer that to off screen nothing.

It's from the same studio (plus a new studio which is co-producing), but the staff is almost entirely different from the first Terraformars anime.

BluWacky

I had completely forgotten this show even existed. I used to own both seasons on DVD and everything!

I am rather embarrassed to admit that it has failed to dislodge the 90 second (ish) clip of ninelie, the ED for Kabaneri (a show I haven't even watched yet, and an ED that has not even appeared in the show itself yet...) out of my head. I put it on a Youtube infinite loop and everything. I know Hiroyuki Sawano's score work is ridiculous, and he doesn't tend to write for shows I like, but some of the man's songs just really hit a sweet spot with me...

It's from the same studio (plus a new studio which is co-producing), but the staff is almost entirely different from the first Terraformars anime.

Yeah I was reading on the wiki, I thought Sailor Moon Crystal S1/2 -> S3 would be the most jarring tone shift in a sequel series this season Terraformars Revenge basically just stomped that into the ground. Like I wasn't expecting shower scene and peeping jokes in the first episode of the second season of Terraformars.

Clov

Discotek has upgraded their Lupin III: Voyage to Danger release from DVD to a BD+DVD combo pack.

Also, they licensed A Wind Named Amnesia, Pilot Candidate, and Soul Hunter.

re zero kara anime seems solid..
thought it would get more censorship, we'll see how this goes on..
i'm a bit puzzled though, as mc in the manga as for is face only is MUCH more like stein's gate mc than to what was the end result in the anime..
but oh well..
mad props to Aketagawa Jin and Suehiro Kenichiro...
the ost killed it..
like the final scene of episode 1b when mc confronts female mc (no name for spoiler) and the music ramp up..
i was like incredibro! *_*

gotta admit once again..
japan has a lot of problem//issue that i cannot accept, but heck they have some terrific composer producing stuff which goes hand in hand with their anime..

JCG

Also, they licensed A Wind Named Amnesia, Pilot Candidate, and Soul Hunter.

Already have an unwatched copy of A Wind Named Amnesia somewhere, but nice.

Pilot Candidate? What a joke. You couldn't pay me to revisit that.

Soul Hunter was...kind of alright back in the day? Supposedly the manga was far better though.

Cornbread78

Now do you understand the power of Pocky?

Please Twins isn't really any better. You'd be better off watching Ano Natsu de Matteru, which is kind of a sequel to the Please franchise that's much better than what came before it.

Pocky? No, I missed that, lol. The little doll computers had a much cuter romance ggoing for them, lol.

I saw Ano Natsu already abd it was pretty good, but had an even worse ending. The most memorable part of was the amazing animation with bubbles and tears during a certain scene, lol.

JulianImp

So what's good this season?

From what I've seen so far:

Shows I've watched and liked:
  • JoJo Part 4: Fun and entertaining. The new art design also looks better than previous seasons', which is a plus
  • Re:Zero: The first half was isekai rpg tropesville with a really boring protagonist, but the second half of the first episode did something interesting, so I'm hoping it keeps going with a similar style to that (minus idiot ball-induced plot holes)
  • Joker Game: It looks like it could turn out to be an interesting show about political intrigues and lots of spy games, at the very least

Shows I watched and am not sold on:
  • Ace Attorney: A copy-paste of the game's first case with low production values. Not keeping my hopes up for poor old Naruhodo-kun
  • Mayoiga: Looks like yet another Another (read: over-the-top black humor). Could end up being somewhat watchable if you like that kind of thing, but I don't expect much from it
  • Anne-Happy: Looks like a generic girly slice-of-life with a small cast of flat gag characters and a gag premise (everyone in the girls' class is unlucky or something)
  • Twin Star Exorcists: Expected fun stuff since it's about onmyoujis, but in the end it looks like a really generic shounen show
  • Space Patrol Luluco: I guess people who like Trigger's gags might enjoy this, but the first episode did absolutely nothing for me

Jarmel

Banned
I'm not even done watching the episode and holy shit this new JoJo episode is super slick.

This is putting all the previous parts to shame.

Thoraxes

SPACE PATROL LULUCO - 02

Hilarious again. Lost it at Alpha Omega Nova's introduction. And the ending was fantastic too. Got me to laugh out loud quite a bit. I really just enjoy Imaishi's style all around.

kewlmyc

My Bride is a Mermaid ep.1-2
RnXFVEq.gif

Holy shit that was funny. I bust out loud laughing waaay too much at the first couple episodes. The whole set-up is outlandish as hell, but man, it was some funny stuff. The scene right before the above was hilarious, as well as a few of the others, but the whole Yakuza mermaid mob boss father and regular earth dwelling human is some funny stuff so far... Sata-san has everyone's attention, lol.

Glad you're watching. Probably my favorite romcom anime, unless SNAFU counts. It's hilarious.

Terraformars Revenge 2

You know anime your shitty cliff hanger doesn't work if the next episode preview spoils the result of the cliff hanger. The awkward cut away comedy is horribly out of place I dunno if the manga started to add them or if they're anime original but whoever decided to add them needs to be fired.

From what I've seen so far:
[*]Twin Star Exorcists: Expected fun stuff since it's about onmyoujis, but in the end it looks like a really generic shounen show
[/LIST]

it's a shounen born and bred..
so rein in your expectations..
I'm skipping it as I rarely watch anime if I'm reading the manga and the manga is much ahead (that's the reason I'm watching zero kara)..
It's a decent shounen if anything, but don't hold your breath over it..
obviously this is a new-season shounen so it might be worth biting, but ehh :)

By the look of it (manga) it won't be an "eternal" anime (I think we're past halfway already), but at the VERY least, either they just do one season and stop (without concluding the story, but just an arc of it) or it will be a multiseason..

Sakamoto 1
Well this met my expectations. It's already better than the source material, praise Takamatsu and the impressive collection of voice talent working on the show.

Thoraxes

There's some comedy, especially in the first season of SNAFU, but it gets overshadowed by the drama in the second season, to the point it feels like the whole series changes genre.

I know that, but I just don't think there's enough there to put it firmly in the genre. It's more like one-offs and the such that it has in the first season than being a genre-definer.

Sure it had some minor moments in the first season at any rate.

Jarmel

Banned
JoJo IV-2

Tsuda needs to be banished to the dark lands. The quality level is just shitting all over previous entries. It's like night and day.

It's not just the direction though, the writing is noticeably smarter too. This is making me realize how garbage the first half of Stardust Crusaders was. I mean I knew it was bad but it's making me realize how bad it was.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How many short anime have gotten threads?
Not many. I feel like it's a missed opportunity to get these shows out there.

I would namedrop Kagewani, Galko, and PuPiPo if I do make it but now it's not looking is appealing.

IDK I'm hopped up on caffeine.
You might reach 20 posts.

Short thread for short anime.

Cornbread78

it's a shounen born and bred..
so rein in your expectations..
I'm skipping it as I rarely watch anime if I'm reading the manga and the manga is much ahead (that's the reason I'm watching zero kara)..
It's a decent shounen if anything, but don't hold your breath over it..
obviously this is a new-season shounen so it might be worth biting, but ehh :)

By the look of it (manga) it won't be an "eternal" anime (I think we're past halfway already), but at the VERY least, either they just do one season and stop (without concluding the story, but just an arc of it) or it will be a multiseason..

A Chinese website posted the other day that it is planned to be a 4 cour anime series, so that should cover all the current source material, no?

Not many. I feel like it's a missed opportunity to get these shows out there.

I would namedrop Kagewani, Galko, and PuPiPo if I do make it but now it's not looking is appealing.

IDK I'm hopped up on caffeine.

Short thread for short anime.
Cram as many references to KLK, Gurren Lagann, and etc. as possible into the thread title and see if you can get some interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom