• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Not many. I feel like it's a missed opportunity to get these shows out there.

I would namedrop Kagewani, Galko, and PuPiPo if I do make it but now it's not looking is appealing.

IDK I'm hopped up on caffeine.

Short thread for short anime.

I think an overview thread about the good stuff would do wonders for that.

Is Sakamoto seriously not out yet? I thought it aired on Fridays

4-5 hours from now

JulianImp

it's a shounen born and bred..
so rein in your expectations..
I'm skipping it as I rarely watch anime if I'm reading the manga and the manga is much ahead (that's the reason I'm watching zero kara)..
It's a decent shounen if anything, but don't hold your breath over it..
obviously this is a new-season shounen so it might be worth biting, but ehh :)

By the look of it (manga) it won't be an "eternal" anime (I think we're past halfway already), but at the VERY least, either they just do one season and stop (without concluding the story, but just an arc of it) or it will be a multiseason..

Well, my expectations weren't all that high to begin with. I was expecting the boy and girl to actually team up for example, but of course it's a shounen and the girl has to lose and force the guy's hand into fighting with his super awesome chosen one powers instead. Meh.

I also like how onmyoujis are supposed to not be generic magicians (since they haven't been bastardized to the ground unlike their western relatives), but this show appears to use them as little more than that, only they don't run out of mana but rather talismans. Even given the standard "I've got to protect her!" shounen fare, I would've liked it more if the explanation for the girl being defeated had been not that she was that much weaker than him, but maybe her talismans lost some of their power from falling into the river and getting them all wet or something. I think I'd rather have a filmsy excuse like that rather than "he is the chosen one".

I get that shounens adhere to some tropes, but I just don't like it when said tropes are used not as crutches to get things up to speed, but rather end up constraining the plot, setting and characters because the writers are hellbent on following them to the letter and always playing them straight.

2 Ushio 2 Tora 2

I guess this amnesia thing will be a whole arc instead of just an episode or two. I'm cool with it, looks like they're doing it right just like Gintama with the Kintoki arc.

Gungrave 1

I watched this because duckroll namedropped the show in connection with Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. I'm not sure what I expected, but this wasn't it. This felt more like Towa no Quon, only with interesting direction, bad digital composite, good music, and really lame 90s-esque designs.

"Beyond the Grave" is not a name.

Uchuu Patrol Luluco 2

I'm just gonna stop watching this now, I've never liked Trigger's particular type of humor, and I'm very unlikely to change my mind about this show no point in continuing.

Cornbread78

Love Hina ep.17-19
More of the same nonsense until an interesting comment from the new Hinata resident whom they met at the Tokyo U entrence exams. It appears she might just be the right one.... Finally, something to chew on.

Well, my expectations weren't all that high to begin with. I was expecting the boy and girl to actually team up for example, but of course it's a shounen and the girl has to lose and force the guy's hand into fighting with his super awesome chosen one powers instead. Meh.

I also like how onmyoujis are supposed to not be generic magicians (since they haven't been bastardized to the ground unlike their western relatives), but this show appears to use them as little more than that, only they don't run out of mana but rather talismans. Even given the standard "I've got to protect her!" shounen fare, I would've liked it more if the explanation for the girl being defeated had been not that she was that much weaker than him, but maybe her talismans lost some of their power from falling into the river and getting them all wet or something. I think I'd rather have a filmsy excuse like that rather than "he is the chosen one".

I get that shounens adhere to some tropes, but I just don't like it when said tropes are used not as crutches to get things up to speed, but rather end up constraining the plot, setting and characters because the writers are hellbent on following them to the letter and always playing them straight.
Ok..
If those are your complains, let me give you some reassurance..
It's not One party being GODLY and the other (girl) being needy//lacking..
The whole plot is FILLED with moments (depending on the arc) where One of the two is ahead, and the other (by luck or LITERALLY sheer sacrifice...) catch up.. Well the last comment applies depending on how far the anime adaptation will go..
Their relation is One where the boy act as a comic relief, but as anime tropes go, he has a sad hostory..

Imagine it as a shounen where there are literally two protogonist in a story, not a One man show where goku is the only key for survival..
When roku gets stronger, benio feels left behind and trains relentlessy, same applies when viceversa..
Plus some love triangle and whatnot..
Don't get me wrong, this is not a grandiose shounen, but it's a solid shounen which i've at leaste njoyed.

Cerberus
Mmm
I cannot decide yet.. I'll stick to hit for Now, but not yet moved...

Gaken no asterisk season 2
More asterisk.. Let's hope that this time We'll get some actual story progress out of it.. Following it just because i want to understand where the story will go..

Concrete revolution season 2
Dropping it..
Seriously, Why did i even gave this another shot..

Hundreds
Shounen+harem..
Not really my cup, but i'll give it a few more episodes to see if they at least give me some reason to follow it..

Macross delta
One Disappointment after another.i'll give this show 2 more eps, then i'm done..

So far not so good..

Narag

It’s that time of year again where our New Year’s resolutions come about and we decide this is the year we finally get to that hole in the backlog we keep putting off. Like last time, I’ll leave this open until Feb 1st and remind people monthly.

Admiral Woofington
Legend of Galactic Heroes
Monogatari series
Urusei Yatsura

Aquawateria
Code Geass
Dennou Coil
G Gundam
Macross Franchise
Most of Studio Ghibli Movies
Monogatari series
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Gundam Unicorn
Millennium Actress
Mushishi
Paprika
Perfect Blue
The Big O
Tokyo Godfathers
Votoms
Wolf Children
Yamato 2199 including the movie
War in Pocket

Cornbread78
Fantasic Children
G Gundam
Kare Kano
Steins;gate

Dedication Through Light
Akagi
Hikaru no Go
Gintama [frst series]
Kaiji
~monogatari
Naruto

duckroll
Mononoke
Mushishi Zoku Shou
Trapeze

firehawk12
Princess Nine

gashikunFLCL
Patlabor TV
Hidamari Sketch
Aikatsu!
Gundam Build Fighters
Kaleido Star
Overman King Gainer
Mujin Wakusei Survive (Planet Survival)

hosannainexcelsis
Ashita no Joe
Fantastic Children
Future Boy Conan
Hare + Guu
Heidi, Girl of the Alps
Hunter X Hunter (1999)
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Rose of Versailles
Urusei Yatsura
Votoms (+ Mellowlink)

jgminto
Mobile Suit Gundam
Zeta Gundam
ZZ Gundam

Kenjiglove
Clannad
Haibane Renmei
Spice and Wolf
The iDOLM@STER

madp
Gundam AGE

mature
Code:Breaker
Ideon
Mononoke
Maison Ikkoku
.hack//sign

Metroidprimerib
Gundam Wing
Haibane Renmei
Rose of Versailles
The Big O

Narag
Kingdom S1
Lupin III Part 2
Saiunkoku Monogatari S1
Utawarerumono

nintendoman58
Majin Bone (Upcoming watchbet with Madp)
Mushishi
Ojamajo Doremi
VOTOMS

phoenix296
Last 20 episodes of Cowboy Bebop
Last 20 episodes of Shin Sekai Yori
Last 10 episodes of Mushishi S2
That Gundam thing I watchbet NMAN ages ago
Utena (I promise to finish this one)

Qurupeke
Hyouka
Oregairu
Second half of Shirobako

Russ T
Gintama (75 episodes in)
Space Brothers (62 episodes in)
Lupin III (red/pink/blue)
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Mawaru Penguindrum
Steins;Gate
Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei

Slicesabre
Aikatsu
Card Captor Sakura
Princess Nine

Sölf
Black Lagoon
One of the EFs

TUSR{/b]
SDF Macross
Macross: Do You Remember Love?
Macross 7
Macross Plus
Macross Zero
Macross Frontier

wonzo
Code: Geass
Dragonball (allowed to drop if BDs are announced per prior agreement)
Heartcatch Precure eps not yet seen
Lupin III Pt 1
Space Adventure Cobra Movie

Zachdekoromaru
Berserk ‘97 TV
Dirty Pair TV
Dirty Pair OVA
Dirty Pair: Project Eden
Every Precure show not yet finished.

Let’s all commend T✰SR for his bravery.

btw how're you doing?

John Blade

Ahh...the new year resolution. I guess you didn`t have mine Narag which is good as I might not able to get all of them done and don`t feel bad unless you find it. Either way, did cross off few of my show which I need to get done and still going through one I have to watch right now.

dario.jpg

sara.jpg

Dark knight definitely isn't evil. For sure.
Watch him actually be a huge hero.

Was the blu ray for Legend of Galactic Heroes ever announced? I know they announced like books or some shit, but reading is for nerds.

I'm still waiting on that before I sit down to watch it.

Clov

Was the blu ray for Legend of Galactic Heroes ever announced? I know they announced like books or some shit, but reading is for nerds.

I'm still waiting on that before I sit down to watch it.

Well, Sentai is releasing it on home video, and it did get a BD release in Japan, so Sentai likely will give it a BD release.

I know you don't mind this, but others ought to be aware that the BD release of the OVAs in Japan are upscaled with some reanimated footage (that really sticks out) inserted into some parts of the series. I believe the movies were scanned from the original film, though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Did I say I was going to watch Princess Nine? lol

rip Utena

---

Also, I just realized that Anne Happy was tonally like SZS. Girls with their own problem forced together in a classroom that seems to just teach some sort of existential philosophical point (to be happy). I wonder if there's a twist with the teacher here. lol

Gungrave 1

I watched this because duckroll namedropped the show in connection with Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. I'm not sure what I expected, but this wasn't it. This felt more like Towa no Quon, only with interesting direction, bad digital composite, good music, and really lame 90s-esque designs.

"Beyond the Grave" is not a name.

The first episode of Gungrave isn't very representative of the show, or at least the part of it that people generally like. The 2nd episode will give you a better idea of the show.

Squalor

Endride 1

I don't think Kouhei Tanaka's music is enough to keep my interest in this.
Feels like any number of mediocre shows from every season.
The first episode of Gungrave isn't very representative of the show, or at least the part of it that people generally like.
Even though people say to even skip episode one sometimes, I don't mind it.

However, it was by far the weakest of the entire series. Gungrave is a fantastic anime.

I think Endride's first episode was the most nothing episode I've watched in a long time.

That episode gives the viewer nothing to invest in.

Well, Sentai is releasing it on home video, and it did get a BD release in Japan, so Sentai likely will give it a BD release.

I know you don't mind this, but others ought to be aware that the BD release of the OVAs in Japan are upscaled with some reanimated footage (that really sticks out) inserted into some parts of the series. I believe the movies were scanned from the original film, though.

I don't mind shit blu ray adaptations, as long as I can have it in a cool blu ray box.

I'm a bad bad dog

Ushio that good? I got to episode 7 before I just dropped it. Does it ramp up?

if you dropped it then no reason to go back to it. The action and arcs are entertaining but if you didn't care for the character banter and relationships then no need to go back as that is its biggest positive.

The first episode of Gungrave isn't very representative of the show, or at least the part of it that people generally like. The 2nd episode will give you a better idea of the show.

That's good to know, although it's weird that they would choose to start the show that way then.

I think Endride's first episode was the most nothing episode I've watched in a long time.

That episode gives the viewer nothing to invest in.

There were a couple nice pieces of music, but yeah, overall it was just whatever. Neither notably bad or notably good. Well, the background art was kind of ugly, but the design felt like it could look good if the artists were more skilled.

Dammit, everyone is talking about Ushio and Tora and how good it apparently is, and I don't have the time to catch up. I was too busy watching terrible shows like Crimson Moon and shit...
im_so_embarassed_i_wish_everybody_else_was_dead.jpg

*looks at most recent posts*

Or maybe I'm not missing anything.

Why would anyone watch Gungrave?

I mean sure, the first half is the best mafia anime ever released, but the second half? It's so bad it murders the first half, then kills 2 more shows, disappears forever and then becomes a candidate for presidency without anyone being the wiser.

Cornbread78

btw how're you doing?

You can cross Steins;Gate off my list now.
1/4 the way through G Gundam, 1/2 through Kare Kano, and I haven't started Fantastic Children yet.

My Bride is a Mermaid ep.3-4
Maki, stop saying desu! I'm so glad this show focuses on comedy after the other shows I've been watching. The show is hilarious and has a great tone to it. Hopefully, it can keep it up for 20 more episodes.

Squalor

I mean sure, the first half is the best mafia anime ever released, but the second half? It's so bad it murders the first half, then kills 2 more shows, disappears forever and then becomes a candidate for presidency without anyone being the wiser.
Since Baccano! is the best mafia anime ever released, I know the rest of your sentiments are also fallacious.

I said in my original post why I wanted to watch Gungrave! If the first half is good, that's good enough for me.

If you already dropped it there is no reason to go back to it.

Probably not. It's a shonen-ass shonen.

if you dropped it then no reason to go back to it. The action and arcs are entertaining but if you didn't care for the character banter and relationships then no need to go back as that is its biggest positive.

I did enjoy it for the most part actually, especially that OP. It just had the misfortune of coming out when I was a bit fatigued on anime so I kinda just stopped watching it weekly. I might give a few episodes a shot and see what happens. I've dropped stuff and tried watching again only to end up really enjoying it.

Puruzi

Banned
I did enjoy it for the most part actually, especially that OP. It just had the misfortune of coming out when I was a bit fatigued on anime so I kinda just stopped watching it weekly. I might give a few episodes a shot and see what happens. I've dropped stuff and tried watching again only to end up really enjoying it.

Def go back to it if you enjoyed it, it's great.

Shounen Maid Episode 1
The backstory for this anime is really sad, the mom had to slave away working constantly just to make ends meet for her son and herself, while receiving no family support. Though I guess she could have asked but it seemed the backstory implied cause she had a son she was kicked out of the family :( And now Chihiro has those same work ethics and can only feel like he fits in by working to live there. I mean he hasn't even had time to grieve I think :(

Cute anime between the uncle and Chihiro though, I wish he didnt have such a frilly outfit but otherwise, he's great.

Clov

Only a few more weeks of classes, and then I'll be free to start on my anime backlog. I'm debating whether I should start Votoms or Dear Brother first....

John Blade

Narag, please add this on the New Year Resolution of anime I need to get done this year and cross those that I finish as of now.

10 Animes I want to get done in 2016
Sakura Wars Franchise (only the North American release as they is two that didn't come here) DONE
Godnannar
Great Teacher Onizuka WATCHING
Ninja Scroll DONE (the movie)
The Garden of Words - DONE
Children Who Chase Lost Voices DONE
Royal Space Force The Wings of Honneamine
Watamote DONE
Clannad Franchise
Rahxephon Franchise WATCHING

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom