• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Netoge 02

Why aren't the other two girls throwing themselves on him yet?

Kuromukuro 01

I went into this completely blind but I feel I know where this is headed and I'm not sure I'll like it. Props to the naked dude fighting robots with no suit, that was pretty cool to see.

Bungou Stray Dogs 02

I'm curious about how serious this series is going to be. Not that I have a problem with this episode, it was amusing enough. But I wasn't expecting them to be this light hearted.

Well Kuromukuro episode 2 subs are out(i mean decent subs), so you can try it.

Ascheroth

Kuromukuro - 01-02

I'm enjoying this a lot so far. I wouldn't say it's anything super special, but it has a couple of things I really like.

- Dude from past transported into modern world
- Mechs melee fighting with hand-to-hand combat and swords
- Mechs having two pilots each, with samurai-dude and main girl forming a team

Although saying 'past' is probably a bit weird, since they apparently already had mechs there and were fighting against the oni, who also appear like mechs.
There is a nice mix of lighthearted and serious moments. I especially liked how the scatterbrained nature of main girls mum was actually plot relevant in both episodes, haha.

jediyoshi

Bakuon!! 1

CiRj3EJ.png

ECr3hHx.png

Onsa = perfect hair. I love when anime goes through the trouble of getting licensed names. Especially in this case when they can get away with criticizing actual bike models.

Bungou Stray Dogs 02

I am not really feeling it. The comedy is more miss than hit to me.

Joker Game 02

Loved the conclusion. It was interesting to see how the spy agency used the incident to its advantage, lots of backstabbing going on.

Kuromukuro 02

Loved the mech fight and the OST continues to be great. If it gives more of those sword fighting mecha battles, I will be satisfied.

Also I love how expressive Yukina is, her faces are so damn funny.

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet 1

The first half wasn't too interesting. For being humanity's last stand, the sequence felt curiously weightless, lacking in impact. The design of the outer space elements made it difficult to follow visually, compounded by a jargon-heavy script. Yamato 2199 set a certain standard for science fiction visual design that I can't help but feel when other productions fail to live up to.

The second half fared much better. The section on the ship felt very lively, with strong animation and good layouts, the characters were immediately appealing, and the world setting was more attractive to look at. Ledo grabbing Amy and running was a particularly amusing sequence, and the reveal of where exactly he was was handled nicely. I appreciated the commitment to showing that they did not understand each others' language, and the foreign gibberish was handled better than the made-up fantasy language in Hataraku Maou-sama. Effective introduction.

I really loved the premise of Gargantia. The idea of a combat-trained dude finding himself stranded with a peaceful society wondering how to fit-in is really appealing to me, and the show definetly delivers on that for the first few episodes.

Now somewhere down the line is where things start to take a deeper turn, and that's where impressions of the show started to get a little mixed back then.

Personally, I loved what the show did and thought that it made the show better regarding how its characters developed, and I'm interested to see what you take from it.

Also, don't worry about the fanservice. It's nowhere near as bad as others make it out to be.

Now that I look at those slides above, the TV show is carrying the name of the original Visual novel, whilst the movie carries the name of a story from the later short story collection light novel (that apparently had an iOS version later, looking at the Wiki page).

The TV show should tell a complete story, and the movie should be something set a few years later.

Isn't the light novel an anthology of barely-related stories? That's certainly a quaint choice to compile into one movie.

e_i

Skip Beat is close to 200k now.

But I'm not backing it. I'm done with KSs now. I'm still waiting for Mai Mai Miracle, A Hat in Time, and that Alicia game.

Clov

Skip Beat is close to 200k now.

But I'm not backing it. I'm done with KSs now. I'm still waiting for Mai Mai Miracle, A Hat in Time, and that Alicia game.

After how slow it seemed to be going, I'm surprised that it managed to make the BD stretch goal. Good for them, though!

DiGiKerot

Isn't the light novel an anthology of barely-related stories? That's certainly a quaint choice to compile into one movie.

Judging from the name, it is likely to literally be the story Hoshi no Hito from that book, and probably only that story. I've not read it myself, but my understanding is that that one specifically actually ties back to the original work in a meaningful way, whereas the others don't.

Either close to it or one more season after this one.

The ending made me feel feelings. I almost don't want to relive that and feel those feelings again.

They already said its the final season and its covering the rest of the manga

This year's 12th issue of Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine is posting an interview with Assassination Classroom anime director Seiji Kishi on Monday. In the interview, Kishi states that the second season of the anime will cover the manga up through its final chapter.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...anime-2nd-season-to-cover-manga-ending/.98897

It's funny when everyone points out the fan service in Gargantia, but I just can't remember it. Maybe it was there, but it was so long ago. I feel like I would remember something like this and complain too, specially if it was excessive. But I just don't remember.

Of course, the day of the week my favorite show comes out, and my router is acting funky
All I wanna do is watch ConRevo.

That's it. That's all I want.

tuffy

It's funny when everyone points out the fan service in Gargantia, but I just can't remember it. Maybe it was there, but it was so long ago. I feel like I would remember something like this and complain too, specially if it was excessive. But I just don't remember.
All that comes to mind is when the girls are prancing around in the background in the scene where Ledo has an unexpected reaction to a certain seafood.

e_i

Midriffs...and then there's the dancing scene,

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Them: So new series of Game of Thrones is starting soon.
Moi: Oh is it? I'm probably one of the few who hasn't seen that show ha ha.
Them: Really? Nothing?
Moi: Yes.
Them: What do you watch then?
Moi:
meaLvW9.png

Heavy Object

What a great show that somehow conspires to be deeply frustrating at the same time.

On the one hand the show keeps intimating it's going to start exploring what it means to sanitise and abstract warfare by projecting it as a sort of noble gladiatorial combat analogous to the outsized attention paid to WW1 pilots to distract from the carnage on the ground. Yet every time it comes close to doing so the story takes an abrupt left turn to get back to a more straight forward goodies v baddies narrative as in the Kamchatka arc
(where a massacre committed by friendly forces is side stepped by a spare fleet of submarines that were just lying around)

This self sabotage is all over the show as well particularly with the fan service, the show actually does a good job of minimising it or making it less obtrusive in most cases but the damn title cards at the halfway mark regularly insert outright cheesecake into the middle of otherwise tense scenes. It completely undoes any tension as you go from 'damn that's a big robot' to 'wait why are they having a picnic/undressed/wut?'. I give the prize to episode 12 for this as it decided to indulge after the screenplay has
Major Frolaytia
literally bemoan how society sees her as little more than a uterus for sale. In fact the failure to develop her story line any further is a real disappointment as despite providing the majority of the fan service I thought she came off quite well. Making the Princess 14 was a bad choice as it made the central romance feel well off but at least they kept it at the periphery and fairly innocent (excepting the cheesecake cards)
for God's sake even at their first date over the final credits Havia is hanging around as a 3rd wheel

Despite all that the show has it's heart in the right place and I highly recommend it my favourite gags were the idea that the Legitimate Kingdom was France (Frolaytia is just a japanophile it seems) and that the ultimate bad guy for the end of the series was
the Académie Française on a language purity kick, I have visions of the bad guy as old french teacher of mine raging against the leakage of english slang into spoken french

Wanderer5

Space Patrol Luluco #3

Lol Nova was pretty chilled when he got captured. And now we got the trio together, along with a possible love triangle. XD At the end it says to be continued next season, what?

Edit: Also what is up with the subtitles. Get rid of that green Crunchyroll. It looks like the english subs have a issue with its borders.

All that comes to mind is when the girls are prancing around in the background in the scene where Ledo has an unexpected reaction to a certain seafood.

Midriffs...and then there's the dancing scene,

Goddamnit, I don't remember this. Either it was so shockingly bad that I erased it from my mind, or I just watched it naturally and didn't care. Idk which of the two are worse. Me not caring, or me not remembering.

Them: So new series of Game of Thrones is starting soon.
Moi: Oh is it? I'm probably one of the few who hasn't seen that show ha ha.
Them: Really? Nothing?
Moi: Yes.
Them: What do you watch then?
Moi:
meaLvW9.png

LOL. whynotboth.gif

And before people bombard me with "We only watch good shows", do me a favour, and GET OUTTA HERE :p All I wanna know is what happened to my boy Jon Snow.

Russ T

Banned
Been catching up on Assassination Classroom (fell about six episodes behind!) and got to the end-of-term exam.

When they mention fucking recurrence relations I about died. I couldn't do that shit in college and these kids are doing it in junior high. Goddamn.

Concrete Revolution Episode 15
CgFvXNyXEAAtsjz.jpg

I wish there was more of Judas and whats he doing beyond the healing and modification stuff. I guess he will show up a few more times.

Compelling backstory with the fumers and Jiro.

Also Individual Beginnings played! Best song, hopefully we get the longer version later too.

Been catching up on Assassination Classroom (fell about six episodes behind!) and got to the end-of-term exam.

When they mention fucking recurrence relations I about died. I couldn't do that shit in college and these kids are doing it in junior high. Goddamn.
I laughed at how Karma's big climatic answer to the final question is actually wrong

Concrete Revolutio Episode 15

Insane episode, the Osaka World Exposition part was cool, it was brought up earlier in the show during the Mountain Horse episode so it was nice to see it come back. Interesting that Jiro's dad was also on display, I figured he was a superhuman but I wonder what his powers are. Glad that this scene also immediately resolved what happened to the Fumers.

Judas' tinkering is rather suspicous. I guess he was able to turn the singer lady into a giant human, but his experiments were also related to Jiro's "secret" according to Emi, interesting stuff.

Also those two hype scenes, so good.

Would justice again next week.

Concrete Revolutio - 15

Dayum, I love the visuals when Jiro goes bananas! I came all over that scene. Equu's transformation was cool too.
Great episode as a whole with the Fumers, Rainbow Knight and I think a first for Ultima being a hybrid? End transition was neat as well.

LPZSGc1.gif

Yeh that second half of the first episode and what follows in the near future had me enjoying the show. That said, it didn't take long before the decline started, though I can't recall when it specifically happens. Eventually I ended up disliking the show and I was surprised to find out it's rather well received here.

Sexual fanservice was also a major detriment to me, so I'm curious how you'll take that.

I really loved the premise of Gargantia. The idea of a combat-trained dude finding himself stranded with a peaceful society wondering how to fit-in is really appealing to me, and the show definetly delivers on that for the first few episodes.

Now somewhere down the line is where things start to take a deeper turn, and that's where impressions of the show started to get a little mixed back then.

Personally, I loved what the show did and thought that it made the show better regarding how its characters developed, and I'm interested to see what you take from it.

Also, don't worry about the fanservice. It's nowhere near as bad as others make it out to be.

I was here when Gargantia aired; I pretty much know what I'm in for.

Can anyone fill me in on what this season's highlights are?

Thanks guys.

Lemme pull my list out and put it against general impressions on here:

Generally good impressions:
- Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
- Flying Witch
EDIT: - My Hero Academia (not watching this one because I already read well ahead, but this one is also good according to almost everyone here)

You may also want to check out:
- Joker Game
- Bungou Stray Dogs
- Kiznaiver
- Re:Zero

So bad it's good:
- The Lost Village

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Can anyone fill me in on what this season's highlights are?

Thanks guys.

The season has just started so we've only seen one or two episodes of each thing so it's really too early to say. The OP covers most of what looks interesting.

Just T

Bungou Stray Dogs: 2

It didn't bother me that much in the first episode but I didn't like the goofiness in this ep at all.

lots of cool spring animes, they need to finish already so i can binge watch some sweet anime gudness. Until then I'll stick with watching "old" stuff (as in completed animes)

Heavy Object

Oh I forgot to ask what the hell happened to the OP in this show? From awesome high energy guitar riffs until ep 10 to increasingly limp and insipid versions of the same song?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom