• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

Russ T

Banned

Wait this meta-conversation was caused by people not liking MHA?

nintendoman, MAN, those people are wrong! They don't know shit!

Problem solved.

Ascheroth

I've heard the anime isn't doing so well in Japan, though. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else...

I've heard the same.
But the Soma anime also didn't do too hot if I remember it right and that already has its second season next season no problem.

blurr

Wait this meta-conversation was caused by people not liking MHA?

nintendoman, MAN, those people are wrong! They don't know shit!

Problem solved.

it was rather Nman being particularly bothered by them, there will always be people who don't like

Cornbread78

SAO has several cool gif-able moments to counteract all the creepy rapist antagonist stuff, at the very least.

don't post them unless it involves Lisbeth.

I had a bunch of SAO tumblr gifs on standby depending on how last page turned out.

Like these:
gfTjGj2.gif
N330s81.gif

Finger gun comin' for ya!

C9XjzIj.gif

zulux21

I've heard the same.
But the Soma anime also didn't do too hot if I remember it right and that already has its second season next season no problem.

for MHA funimation obviously put a lot of money forward for it. I imagine even if the anime isn't going super well in japan that it's english numbers have to be solid.

as for Soma, the anime itself didn't light up the charts, but manga sales did increase from it, and awareness of the series greatly increased as well.

and boy have I seen a ton of random merch from it.

Speaking of the forgotten, I can't remember the last time I saw firehawk in here. Where's he at nowadays?

We will never forget the firehawk we saw that day.

I started posting here....hmm shortly after duckroll had that tableflip moment and gave everyone a stern talking to. I believe it was related to lewd stuff along with gif/pic spamming.

Glad I wasn't around for that. I believe I joined this community around March of last year, there was none of that stuff at the time.

Those were interesting times.

Jex

You say that as if we're not a social species that functions on the interactions of others :p The thoughts and opinions of others factor into the things that we do on a daily basis, consciously or otherwise. People want to belong after all.

Oh, sure, I'm not denying that it's an important factor people consider when they decide what media they wish to consume. It's not the only thing to consider, however, and I daresay that my tastes tend to align with the people in this thread who disliked MHA.
Huh. Maintaining my cultural literacy is why I make like 50% of my media choices.
Sure, but it's a question of degree. Occasionally popularity corresponds to quality but far more often it does not.

I can't really imagine watching the latest big reality TV show just because it's popular.

Russ T

Banned
It seems like MHA keeps being talked about every week here in the same manner. lol

I know. I think it's interesting! You'd think the people who don't like it would've just backed off by now, but they keep going! There must be something they like or why bother! Like when I kept watching Grimgar, it's because there's a layer to it that I love a lot; it just also had a layer to it that I hated a lot. Conflicting emotions often produce the best reactions.

it was rather Nman being particularly bothered by them, there will always be people who don't like

Yeah but as I stated those people are wrong!

Cornbread78

no cornbread

you were the chosen one.

Definitely not...

I once looked back at AnimeGAF threads before I came along and the pace and demeanor was a whole lot faster and less...restrained, back then.

I started posting here....hmm shortly after duckroll had that tableflip moment and gave everyone a stern talking to. I believe it was related to lewd stuff along with gif/pic spamming.

When doing my research this morning, I came across the funniest thread that was closed in the OP:

Title:
An actual thread for Spring 2014 Anime #1

I don't get the point of a huge general thread when I just want to discuss a current show I'm watching. I'm tired of the clutter and posts about everything but Spring 2014 shows. Who's with me? :D

Anyways, I really thought it'd be Captain Earth but Knights of Sidonia is the best I've seen this season so far. It's so good, I'm going to start reading the manga

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=820963&highlight=anime

I lol'd...

AnimeGAF in the old days wasn't perfect, but it was completely different than the current iteration.

It felt to me back around 2011-2013 that the threads were a place for a specific breed of fans who enjoyed more involved anime and wanted to have more critical discussions about anime. That's not to say that there wasn't plenty of guff as well, and there was plenty of spammy content, but it had a unique feel that appealed to me, and I feel like it made me a better viewer.

There are still some old faces around, but that sort of feeling isn't really found anymore. That's just to be expected, though. That version of the thread could only exist at that point on time with those people. Modern AnimeGAF, like MAL or AnimeSuki, is more in line with what English speaking Fandom is. But that doesn't provide the same value to certain people, and so you wind up with people who feel like the threads have declined.

Mailbox

Alright, we’ll give “Let’s Watch” another try, this time with a comedy SoL show from the same writer as Working!:

aVp3WT0.jpg

R62GsYo.gif

Link to the thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=207906306#post207906306

Looks like it could be a lot of fun for a short series.

(If this one works out, we can try to do Devil is a Part-timer next)
Need other recs later for other shows that could be interesting to watch and react to.

ServantxService is a great show. A lil weird at times, but also slightly more grounded than Working. It's very much like an anime sitcom.

I rewatch it on occasion, I know you'll probably like it!

Cornbread78

ServantxService is a great show. A lil weird at times, but also slightly more grounded than Working. It's very much like an anime sitcom.

I rewatch it on occasion, I know you'll probably like it!

Looking forward to it. I hope we get enough peeps to join in and have fun as well...

I almost want to do a special SAO one at some, just to laugh at everyone $hit posting the show, because, why the hell not? It can be good fun as well, lol.

Ascheroth

for MHA funimation obviously put a lot of money forward for it. I imagine even if the anime isn't going super well in japan that it's english numbers have to be solid.

as for Soma, the anime itself didn't light up the charts, but manga sales did increase from it, and awareness of the series greatly increased as well.

and boy have I seen a ton of random merch from it.

No matter how, I doubt it will be the last we'll see of MHA in anime form.

And a 3rd season of Soma.

Jex

Reflecting back on the history of AnimeGAF, there was certainly a window where the thread attracted (and retained) posters who were interested in some fairly in-depth conversations and analysis. At the same time, however, there was always a certain degree of spammy content and that only got worse as time went on and the thread ended up doing 15 pages every single night.

At the end of the day, it's the nature of online communities to change and develop over time. Many people leave, new people join. The world keeps turning.

I am just glad that I can still follow ex-AnimeGAF'ers, as well as a whole host of new people, on Twitter and elsewhere. As firehawk12 points out it is far more painful to keep up with different people on different platforms than simply read a single thread BUT at the same time you get to interact with people who would simply never have been on NeoGAF in the first place.

Sölf

Well, the final episode of Joker Game aired. Time to finish this up. Still have to watch 10 and 11. So I just watch all of them now.

I like to make my foolish audience suffer, taking a few pages from Okada's writing. I like to make them think I'm great. And I am.

But greatness comes at a price. A price that my country can't pay. Why do you think I play in a Spanish team?

Shut the thread down we have a winner

the new food wars trailer is fun

can't wait for it to return in a little over a week.

All about this, Food Wars S1 was some great nonsense.

Hundred Ep. 12

Sigh who mixed all this plot into my nonsense?
Onii-sama is the king of contrivance and the reason behind most things could be summed up as 'just because' also idols
Damn you Hundred why couldn't you just know your place and continue being a visual encyclopaedia of trashy tropes?

zulux21

No matter how, I doubt it will be the last we'll see of MHA in anime form.

And a 3rd season of Soma.

we will likely get a fall season announcement for MHA at the end of the next episode.

as for soma, ideally we just keep getting 25 episode seasons once a year.

All about this, Food Wars S1 was some great nonsense.

season 2 will be far more focused, but has lots of great stuff in it.
the tournament is well done and we get to learn more about a lot of great characters.

convo

MHA was breaking records on french anime streaming sites beating even One-Punch-Man last i heard, it's doing well outside japan but who knows how much that matters to the people approving additional seasons of a series.

Ascheroth

we will likely get a fall season announcement for MHA at the end of the next episode.

as for soma, ideally we just keep getting 25 episode seasons once a year.

Would be the optimal outcome, yep.

Though for MHA there's still the whole timeslot thing with Okada Gundam ursuping the Fall slot again and being unfaithful to your timeslot is apparently pretty unusual.

I feel like the more in depth talk comes more from the anime that is currently being aired than the posters here. This is still my favourite place to talk anime though due to the variety of tastes, general levelheadedness and community feel.
Went to anime reddit recently and it was embarrassing.

It's performing very poorly in TV ratings (lowest-rated show in the Nichigo slot historically) and looks to perform poorly in disc sales. I believe it did elevate manga sales at least somewhat, however.

Do you have links by any chance?

Defuser

MHA was breaking records on french anime streaming sites beating even One-Punch-Man last i heard, it's doing well outside japan but who knows how much that matters to the people approving additional seasons of a series.

Usually, their main focus is still Japan audience because otakus are willing to buy for a high price, they probably will consider a sequel if a outsider company like adult swim.eg funds them to do it.

season 2 will be far more focused, but has lots of great stuff in it.
the tournament is well done and we get to learn more about a lot of great characters.

I didn't mind the slower pace of the early season as it set everybody in the dorm up so that the tournament could be pure cooking action! I'm not sure how I'm going to handle an entire season at that pace but it'll be fun to watch unfold.

zulux21

Would be the optimal outcome, yep.

Though for MHA there's still the whole timeslot thing with Okada Gundam ursuping the Fall slot again and being unfaithful to your timeslot is apparently pretty unusual.

to be fair the standard rules for shonen series in general have been changing.

more and more of the shows have been adapting new ways to do things instead of just running a long running shonen series all the time adding filler with needed.

we have seen a ton of series that are now shifted to a multiple season style, which is great because it means the series isn't bogged down with filler.

we will have to see though, but even with the timeslot thing it seems like MHA was likely a split season just not announced that way for some reason.

I didn't mind the slower pace of the early season as it set everybody in the dorm up so that the tournament could be pure cooking action! I'm not sure how I'm going to handle an entire season at that pace but it'll be fun to watch unfold.

I want to say something, but alas I will just leave it at, you should have fun watching i unfold :p

Russ T

Banned
Yeah I vastly prefer the seasonal format for long-running series. Not that I'd be against having MHA (or other series!) every week, but I'd rather they take the time they need to keep up the quality and avoid filler.

Honestly wish Dragon Ball Super would take this approach. They don't even have to worry about staying behind a manga! There's no filler, it's just noticeable dips in (animation (and sometimes writing)) quality between the Key Moments. ):

javac

I'd honestly conduct more in-depth posts if I had the time and writing abilities to do so and it also would help if I was actually able to watch shows and films at a steady clip, but unfortunately I'm way too slow....and yes Narag I still need to watch the Cobra film and yes I will do so when I get the time.

Movies take too long to review and I cba talking about TV series from episode to episode and they again take too long to finish!

Do you have links by any chance?

Sure.

Usually, their main focus is still Japan audience because otakus are willing to buy for a high price, they probably will consider a sequel if a outsider company like adult swim.eg funds them to do it.

No, with a series like My Hero Academia, and an anime airing in a daytime slot, the intent is to increase the visibility and popularity of the franchise among general audiences. It's not narrowly targeted at anime otaku. It's quite likely that Shueisha will fund more MHA anime down the line, but it's impossible for me to divine what their business plan is. The handling of the whole Nichigo timeslot has flown in the face of precedent this year.

Ascheroth

to be fair the standard rules for shonen series in general have been changing.

more and more of the shows have been adapting new ways to do things instead of just running a long running shonen series all the time adding filler with needed.

we have seen a ton of series that are now shifted to a multiple season style, which is great because it means the series isn't bogged down with filler.

we will have to see though, but even with the timeslot thing it seems like MHA was likely a split season just not announced that way for some reason.

Jup, I generally prefer the seasonal format for long running shows as well.

I'm not so sure with MHA being planned as split season though, the anime was being planned already while the manga was still really young (in its 1st year still, I think?), which explains the slower pacing and I'm not even sure if it even had enough material for a second cour at that time.
But I would welcome it.

And on the other hand you have adaptions like Twin Start Exorcists being a 50 episode anime with a source material of ~30 (monthly) chapters.
Funnily enough I like what they''re doing with that one.

Jarmel

Banned
I can't even look forward to another season of MHA as the entire second cour would be comprised of that tournament arc.

And on the other hand you have adaptions like Twin Start Exorcists being a 50 episode anime with a source material of ~30 (monthly) chapters.
Funnily enough I like what they''re doing with that one.

Binged on Twin Star Exorcists at the weekend and I'm really liking it, there is an odd tonal clash between the reveal of Rokuro's past and the joviality of the arranged marriage plotline but I think they pulled it off pretty well. I saw quite a few folks fall off it when the latter element dominated the early episodes but it's definitely up there for me this season. The art is excellent with bold inking and distinctive style everywhere in the fight scenes even if it means that the occasional comedy scene is reduced to jiggling stills I'll take it

Edit:
That Orange PV looks lovely but I couldn't help but laugh at what seemed like a drunken stumble at 0:18 and wonder for a moment is this a tragic tale of teen alcoholism?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've heard the same.

It's because there are business considerations in making a show other than Blu Ray sales, its just that AnimeGAF judges the success of anime 100% on collector's edition Blu Ray sales.

Sure.

No, with a series like My Hero Academia, and an anime airing in a daytime slot, the intent is to increase the visibility and popularity of the franchise among general audiences. It's not narrowly targeted at anime otaku. It's quite likely that Shueisha will fund more MHA anime down the line, but it's impossible for me to divine what their business plan is. The handling of the whole Nichigo timeslot has flown in the face of precedent this year.

Wow, all time worst seems far more negative than anything I would of imagined. Its not that bad lol
Did the manga sales get a decent boost at least?

Chindogg

Alright, we’ll give “Let’s Watch” another try, this time with a comedy SoL show from the same writer as Working!:

aVp3WT0.jpg

R62GsYo.gif

Link to the thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=207906306#post207906306

Looks like it could be a lot of fun for a short series.

(If this one works out, we can try to do Devil is a Part-timer next)
Need other recs later for other shows that could be interesting to watch and react to.

I love this series and wish that it'd continue.

Edit: Wait. MHA slander? WTH?

Russ T

Banned
I can't even look forward to another season of MHA as the entire second cour would be comprised of that tournament arc.

It's true, but that arc has some really fantastic character moments, which is the big appeal of that series anyway.

Though even I would probably get tired of seeing nothing but a tournament for a whole cour.

So, my biggest disappointment of the season: My Hero Academia.

I was loving this show. I really was. First three episodes we're knocking it out of the park for me. It made me pick up the manga and catch up with the source material and I loved that too.

But of course, there were comments criticizing the show for its pacing, animation, characters, melodrama, etc. At first I just chalked it up as the usual hyperbolic statements (along with some good criticisms, don't get me wrong) but the more people defended against the criticism and the more people criticized it the more my enjoyment of the anime was slowly sucked out.

I stopped watching the show weekly and whenever I think about doing so again all the fighting I've seen in this thread just comes back to me. No matter how much I may enjoy the show in spite of whatever flaws it has I'm finding myself physically unable to feel good about enjoying it.

I watched that bit in episode 12 with All Might and it was fantastic to me. I loved it. But I can't feel good about that. Because the hatred, vitrol, and hyberbolic statements made in this thread over the course of the season is what I always end up thinking about at the end of the day regarding this show. "It's a boring waste of time", "If you don't like it you've watched too much anime to appreciate solid storytelling", "At this point it's legitimately bad", "what's with all the hyperbole", etc.

I wanted this show to be that show that anyone can look at and agree was all right. Obviously there'd be people who wouldn't like it and will voice their opinions on it and move on, but overall would still be enjoyed here. I know there's still a fair number of people in this thread that feels that way, but I just know that the instant someone makes another critcism on it is just going to spark another slapfight.

What should have been a show that gave us good feelings about ourselves only gave us people fighting, throwing labels on each other, calling people defensive, and just an overall sense of negativity regarding this show from both sides. It makes me unable to truly enjoy the show.

And I don't like how that feels. :(

Wait, so this means our negative, cynical posts, full of mock, ridicule and derision about anime actually have meaning in the real world for real people?

Yes, YES, YEEESS!!!

<cough>
I mean
SuOtZIQ.jpg

Ascheroth

Binged on Twin Star Exorcists at the weekend and I'm really liking it, there is an odd tonal clash between the reveal of Rokuro's past and the joviality of the arranged marriage plotline but I think they pulled it off pretty well. I saw quite a few folks fall off it when the latter element dominated the early episodes but it's definitely up there for me this season. The art is excellent with bold inking and distinctive style everywhere in the fight scenes even if it means that the occasional comedy scene is reduced to jiggling stills I'll take it

Edit:
That Orange PV looks lovely but I couldn't help but laugh at what seemed like a drunken stumble at 0:18 and wonder for a moment is this a tragic tale of teen alcoholism?

Another one of us, yay! Now there's 4? of us! lol
The dominance of the arranged marriange plotline is mainline because they haven't really that much source material to go through and that's easiest to make original content for that doesn't jeopardize the original stuff.
I think they're doing a pretty good job mixing things though.

And jup, I need a gif/webm/whatever of that effect when attack names appear. Really stylish. And Magano looks great.

Twin Star Exorcists had a really rough run of anime original episodes that ruined its pacing, something that was one of the strengths of its source material at that point. It's still decent show, but I don't think they've done a very good job with the way they've been padding out the adaptation.

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcists had a really rough run of anime original episodes that ruined its pacing, something that was one of the strengths of its source material at that point. It's still decent show, but I don't think they've done a very good job with the way they've been padding out the adaptation.

This again is a reason I'm glad I have no background with the manga to keep comparing things to. Going in virgin is definitely the way to go, because as an "anime only" viewer it has been very well paced and very easy to watch.

This again is a reason I'm glad I have no background with the manga to keep comparing things to. Going in virgin is definitely the way to go, because as an anime viewer it has been very well paced and very easy to watch.

I actually started reading the manga after watching the first episode of the anime, which only made the comparison between the two even fresher.

Top Bottom