• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

John Blade

Buddha statute fight was from the manga, but i don't remember homeless scene from it. The anime did changes several things from the manga. For example, the suits in the manga works just fine without the user need to be motivated. The biker dude who has family was one of the guy who try to rape Kishimoto in the manga while in the animr they made him a decent guy.

Ahh, I see. I guess certain change is made to make some sort of tension for certain scene but most of it is same idea from the manga. The homeless scene is basically the same homeless guy who got save by the two main character in the show. Don't know if he does any big role in the manga as in the show, he isn't too important and didn't affect at all in the battle except to have a situation where Masaru can't decide how to bloody save him and add more artificial tension when it already have enough to deal with.

For now, it's not bad but man...so much stuff in the anime during this fight is kinda pointless when you it can trim down a bit or can literally fix if Masaru just realize his thinking of not killing the alien is causing more issue than their need during the fight.

Will keep on watching to see where it will goes now.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
According to this reddit thread the Kuma Miko script writer deleted his account.

And reading some more about what happened in the show, especially towards the end. What the fuck? Why would you decide to go for such a demented anime original ending. I mean there were a bunch of messed up vibes in the first couple episodes i saw but that it actually doubles down on all that is hella stupid.
I'm a few episodes behind but I don't really understand why people have a problem with the ending from what I read.

Jex

This is why I only get my anime advice from the ANNcast, a trustworthy source with a background in film study. :)

It's almost like there's a correlation between having studied film at an academic level and spouting truly pretentious drivel.

Nah, that can't be true...

Aki-at

According to this reddit thread the Kuma Miko script writer deleted his account.

And reading some more about what happened in the show, especially towards the end. What the fuck? Why would you decide to go for such a demented anime original ending. I mean there were a bunch of messed up vibes in the first couple episodes i saw but that it actually doubles down on all that is hella stupid.

Kind of ironic how he created an ending were the main character thought she faced a social backlash and crawled into her own little shell, now he's the one facing a real backlash and burying himself from the internet rage machine.

Jex

Rightly so!

Sorry, I think you were trying to reference Earth Girl Arjuna but you totally posted scenes from a different anime.

I'm just letting you know so that you can correct your grievous error before people notice and give you the righteous shaming you deserve.

Once you've repaired your post I can edit this post and turn it into an in-depth analysis of modern anime pantyshots. No-one will ever have to know.

Russ T

Banned
Kind of ironic how he created an ending were the main character thought she faced a social backlash and crawled into her own little shell, now he's the one facing a real backlash and burying himself from the internet rage machine.

I mean... I don't know anything about the guy, and I have no intention of watching the show (the creepy pedo stuff was more than enough to put me off), so I could be way off... but maybe the ending was coming from a real place? I know used to suffer from social anxiety (and still do sometimes!). That shit ain't fun, and I could totally see myself, given a creative position of power, being pessimistic when addressing the issue.

Or maybe I'm just being too generous.

javac

I haven't done this in a while but I was bored.

This weeks Blu-ray and DVD releases in the US for 06/21/16.
Blu-ray
And Yet The Town Moves: Complete Collection [Sentai]
Run Time: 300 min
Audio: Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
Subtitles: English
Format: Two-disc set (2 BDs)
Price:
BD @ rightstuf.com: $38.99
42h1iM3.jpg

Cross Ange: Rondo of Angels and Dragons - Collection 1 [Sentai]
Run Time: 300 min
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 / Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
Format: Two-disc set (2 BDs)
Price:
BD @ rightstuf.com: $45.49
DVD @ rightstuf.com: $38.99
9ET3NHB.jpg

Nisekoi: False Love Season 2 Volume 01 [AoA]
Run Time: 144 min
Audio: Japanese: LPCM 2.0
Format: One-disc set (1 BD)
Price:
BD @ rightstuf.com: $59.98
Yp0JJni.jpg

DVD
Dino Mech Gaiking: Complete TV Series [Discotek]
Run Time: 1000 min
Audio: Japanese: Dolby Digital 2.0
Format: Six-disc set (6 DVDs)
Price:
DVD @ rightstuf.com: $38.97
G0HOZpB.jpg

Space Adventure Cobra 26-28
download.png

When your fun space pirate adventures get a bit too real.

So I compared Cobra to 007 at the beginning of this series, and that comparison somewhat faded over time. Now that comparison has swung back around. Much like 007, Cobra's lifestyle tends to get the people near him killed or at least hurt in the case of Lady. Cobra only tends to get serious when the people close to him or the truly innocent are harmed. Now he's building a team to take on half a million guild scumbags.

Yes, that's right, he's gonna take on half a million space pirates. Well, them, and their strange psychic samurai leader, Salamander.
download_1.png

John Blade

I haven't done this in a while but I was bored.

This weeks Blu-ray and DVD releases in the US for 06/21/16.
Blu-ray

DVD

The Any Yet the Town Moves is something I might double dip. Love the show and might go back to watch it once more.

Aki-at

I mean... I don't know anything about the guy, and I have no intention of watching the show (the creepy pedo stuff was more than enough to put me off), so I could be way off... but maybe the ending was coming from a real place? I know used to suffer from social anxiety (and still do sometimes!). That shit ain't fun, and I could totally see myself, given a creative position of power, being pessimistic when addressing the issue.

Or maybe I'm just being too generous.

I think you're being generous :p

In the end, Machi gets a rousing round of applause from the crowd as she performs her maiden ritual on stage at an idol contest but in her head she imagines their clapping as rocks being thrown at her. Then later on she freaks out and tells her cousin and the bear that she doesn't want to be a city girl all the while withering away in the background as both of them hug her and feel happy she's going to stay a village bumpkin forever. Neither actually disclose everyone loved her at the idol contest.

I would be fine with the first bit, I think even when people are reacting positively towards you you still feel they're secretly sharpening their knives (I've felt it plenty of times!) but I think the kicker was the latter half where her family is apathetic to her low self confidence and how broken she is.

Jarmel

Banned
Alright somebody please explain the Kuma Miko ending in detail.

Edit:Nvm Jesus Christ

That's some depressing shit. What the fuck.

Jintor

I'm personally happy the threads have died down some.

more than once I recall leaving for a few hours and coming back to 20+ pages of responses. it's the main reason I stopped coming to the anime threads for a while.

that and it was before the whole when you are quoted that post is a different color so it made it impossible to respond to anyone.

at least now if something happens and there is a ton of pages I can at least quickly scan to see if anyone said anything to me of interest. of course that means if you talk to me and don't quote me I typically won't see your response but yeah :p

I really don't miss that post volumage, often being composed entirely of cajunator squees. I liked cajun but man that was a lot of squeeing.

I think you're being generous :p

In the end, Machi gets a rousing round of applause from the crowd as she performs her maiden ritual on stage at an idol contest but in her head she imagines their clapping as rocks being thrown at her. Then later on she freaks out and tells her cousin and the bear that she doesn't want to be a city girl all the while withering away in the background as both of them hug her and feel happy she's going to stay a village bumpkin forever. Neither actually disclose everyone loved her at the idol contest.

I would be fine with the first bit, I think even when people are reacting positively towards you you still feel they're secretly sharpening their knives (I've felt it plenty of times!) but I think the kicker was the latter half where her family is apathetic to her low self confidence and how broken she is.
She also mentally regresses into a fucking 5 year old....I'm still baffled at who ever approved the script for this anime original ending. Oh also I can't say I liked the constant mental abuse she got from her cousin, who understood exactly what he's doing even saying it out loud that her sacrifice was for the good of the village...One of the few anime's that has ever just made me super pissed off....seriously WTF.

Jintor

I can't even look forward to another season of MHA as the entire second cour would be comprised of that tournament arc.

At current pacing levels I think this is accurate. I'm hoping for a 24-epper with the next two arcs, since the arc after the tournament is really good (so is the tournament but it's, well, a tournament)

Jintor

*metatalk*

I was actually just about to mention how much I missed Jex effortposts. But I get it too.

I actually post prolifically for the amount of shows I watch, because I barely watch anything and also they're almost always slice of life which is not really condusive to discussion.

Now if only Shinozaki-san could get an anime.

I would mark out so fucking hard.

I love Shinozaki-san but the manga is a bit messy for me to follow.

I would say that a focus on the episode count for MHA simply tries to call to light how futile shounen character growth is if a studio isn't willing to commit to really following through. What is the end goal that MHA establishes? Deku wants to be a hero. What picture does the MHA anime capture? Deku goes to hero school for like three days. The disparity between the long term goal and what we witness as an audience is absurd even by shounen standards.

Beyond that, I really did have pacing issues with the show on an episode by episode basis. Episode eight in particular really showed just how bad the series could be about regurgitating the same information over and over again. Not only does it have a "last time on" recap, but immediately after you get the broader retelling of the fight by the students and you're seven minutes in on an episode that's the follow up to a wimpy and pointless training fight that took two episodes to tell. I don't know the story or what it needs to cover, but what is being told doesn't cut it.

MHA is beyond pedestrian. It's the worst elements of straightforward hero superpowers combined with one of the most plodding and dull school settings imaginable. Sometimes slow is the right pace, but there's nothing of substance to the characters, no embellishment, cohesion, or appeal to the world, or any kind of complex hierarchy or rule set to explain. Stacked against other recent Shonen Jump adaptations or other similar works with an action focus MHA just fares extremely poorly.

I mean...you might as well say you feel bad for people who are unable to appreciate the latest flavor of Mountain Dew. Like their life is somehow incomplete because they cannot derive the purest form of pleasure from the latest market driven puerile treat.

I would like to join in on some of this. MHA wasn't really a disappointment to me, essentially because I kind of expected it to be a disappointment. I'm a big fan of some shounen, adore Naruto, really liked some parts of Bleach and DB/DBZ and so I'm used to some of the tropes MHA relies on, however my problem was fundamentally two things: the cast and world building. The cast felt very 1 dimensional and I really disliked the dork MC and needlessly bullish rival. Compared to the ninja world in Naruto, Soul society in Bleach or even DB's world, MHA's setting did not stand out or entice me at all. Perhaps this is partly due to the concept of superheroes and villains in everyday society being nothing novel. My only real disappointment of the adaptation is the lack of well animated fights.

In a (now deleted) blog post, the manga author wrote "I declined to do the script check as they were pros, so I left it up to them, so I'm not qualified to say this but if I was to say my impressions as a fan of the original work, the thing Yoshio said was horrible."

Whoops.

Sorry, I think you were trying to reference Earth Girl Arjuna but you totally posted scenes from a different anime.

I'm just letting you know so that you can correct your grievous error before people notice and give you the righteous shaming you deserve.

Once you've repaired your post I can edit this post and turn it into an in-depth analysis of modern anime pantyshots. No-one will ever have to know.
I didn't have any Arjuna screenshots handy, so I had to make do with some from another Kawamori franchise. But you're right, it was a grievous mistake.

Wanderer5

Crunchyroll news pretty soon, through apparently it was already reveal that they going to have Mob Psycho 100.

Speaking of AX, time to look at what going to be there, and probably go either Friday or Sat heh.

Aki-at

She also mentally regresses into a fucking 5 year old....I'm still baffled at who ever approved the script for this anime original ending. Oh also I can't say I liked the constant mental abuse she got from her cousin, who understood exactly what he's doing even saying it out loud that her sacrifice was for the good of the village...One of the few anime's that has ever just made me super pissed off....seriously WTF.

Yashio is a major creep and has gone from a funny and aloof guy in episode 1 to a creepy bastard by the end of the show.

I didn't get pissed off by the ending but I was excited for the show before airing. So this is probably my biggest disappointment this season, followed by Joker Game and My Hero Academia.

*reads Kuma Miko spoilers*

What the fuck?

Geez, were they piss drunk when they wrote that ending? The show wasn't good anyway, but fuck.

Future Boy Conan 8

Can you do mouth-to-mouth resuscitation underwater? At any rate, I give credit to the show for coming up with a situation where it's believable that Conan can push his strength even beyond his normal extraordinary limits. Not only was his own life in danger, but even more important the life of Lana was in danger. The relationship between Conan and Lana is very sweet - a kind of prototype for the relationship between Pazu and Sheeta in Castle in the Sky, but also a very pure relationship in its own right. The scene pictured above, in which Conan makes a humorous recall to the moment of their first meeting, was a tender moment which emphasized how far their bond has been cemented together.

The scene with the tank graveyard in the desert was a powerful anti-war statement, perhaps even more powerful than more explicit anti-war statements Miyazaki would make in his later works due to being purely visual without the characters explicitly commenting on it at all. This gets back to the most interesting change between Future Boy Conan and the novel on which this show was based, The Incredible Tide, in that the original novel had Conan and Lana as 17 year olds who had lived through the great apocalyptic war 5 years before the start of the story, whereas the show has them as 10 year olds born long after the decades-old war. The change was perhaps made primarily to skew for a younger target audience, but Miyazaki takes full advantage of the generational gap opened up.

Kuma Miko, I wanted to read that the whole thing with Yoshio in Ep3 was a one time aberration and I should watch the rest because DJ Natsu was hilarious but with this ending I'm not going to bother. Why on earth go with that ending? Did the anime writer hate Yoshio and want the world to hate him too?

Mokoi

Banned
Kuma miko out of all the things (delta, jojo, and dj show) i started watching was biggest disappointment. Thought it was going to he a chill show, but then it started givint weird vibes. DJ bear gave me hope; however, that was its peak. Flying witch and that show with sleepy dude hit that chill show spot. Both are great. This season has been p good.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
AnimeGaf in general suffers from rose tinted glasses. People overlook how much garbage these threads used to have in those supposed glory days. I miss a lot of posters that aren't here anymore, but some people don't remember things the way they really were.

I honestly think this place is better now then it was a few years ago. You know, back when Anime GAF was on track to join the voices of the damned. Also, strictly speaking, I might be one of the only people who doesn't miss the wall of Cajuniator texts.

Aki-at

Kuma Miko, I wanted to read that the whole thing with Yoshio in Ep3 was a one time aberration and I should watch the rest because DJ Natsu was hilarious but with this ending I'm not going to bother. Why on earth go with that ending? Did the anime writer hate Yoshio and want the world to hate him too?

That was not a one time thing, happens once more later in the series (And I believe anime original so its not due to following the manga) the scriptwriter was demented.

Wanderer5

Annnnd I will stick to my CR sub. Looking forward to Berserk, Mob Psycho 100, and Orange.

Only anime left then would be D.gray-Man, but if that ends up going to say, Funimation, then I wait to see it for free then.

I know crunchyroll said they were more show to be announced but knowing funimation won't license D.Gray-Man, i'm kind of scared it will go unlicensed.

That was not a one time thing, happens once more later in the series (And I believe anime original so its not due to following the manga) the scriptwriter was demented.

I guess it's worth nothing that the lead writer of Kumamiko, and the writer of the last episode that's received the biggest controversy, is Pierre Sugiura, who appears to be in-house or at least exclusively attached to Kinema Citrus. He previously wrote the entirety of the Barakamon anime.

Jarmel

Banned
In a (now deleted) blog post, the manga author wrote "I declined to do the script check as they were pros, so I left it up to them, so I'm not qualified to say this but if I was to say my impressions as a fan of the original work, the thing Yoshio said was horrible."

Whoops.

Wow. You really have to fuck up in order to get called out like that.

I guess it's worth nothing that the lead writer of Kumamiko, and the writer of the last episode that's received the biggest controversy, is Pierre Sugiura, who appears to be in-house or at least exclusively attached to Kinema Citrus. He previously wrote the entirety of the Barakamon anime.

I'm surprised, Barakamon has a good reputation and isn't one I've seen mentioned as having any of the issues Kuma Miko does. Makes me wonder if with Barakamon the mangaka was more involved in the anime?

javac

hosannainexcelsis's posts about Future Boy Conan are reminding me that I still need to watch Sherlock Hound. The voice of Hayao Miyazaki compels me
even though he only directed 6 episodes.

I'm in the mood for it too funnily enough...

javac

Some little Anime Limited tidbits:

• Their collector's edition of Tokyo Ghoul Root A has sold out within the first week.
  • Part 1 of their Samurai Flamenco release however has sold terribly to the degree that while they are planning to release a Part 2, the £2,100 of BBFC fees that they have to pay is making them cautious about when they release it. Part 1 actually hasn't sold enough to recoup it's BBFC and replication costs a whole 7+ months later.
  • Miss Hokusai is getting delayed due to Production I.G working close with them to ensure that the collectors edition release is the best that it can be.

javac

For some reason my back is hurting so much, it's been dull for the past week and I brushed it off but now it's killing me. I don't think I can watching anything today guys, or maybe now's the best reason to watch a bunch of shit? Either way while I make up my mind I'm too young to be having back issues so this better not be a thing :/

Versailles, Hound, Cobra...decisions.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
For some reason my back is hurting so much, it's been dull for the past week and I brushed it off but now it's killing me. I don't think I can watching anything today guys, or maybe now's the best reason to watch a bunch of shit? Either way while I make up my mind I'm too young to be having back issues so this better not be a thing :/

Versailles, Hound, Cobra...decisions.
Armored trooper votoms if you haven't.

Top Bottom