• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

Another one of us, yay! Now there's 4? of us! lol
The dominance of the arranged marriange plotline is mainline because they haven't really that much source material to go through and that's easiest to make original content for that doesn't jeopardize the original stuff.
I think they're doing a pretty good job mixing things though.

And jup, I need a gif/webm/whatever of that effect when attack names appear. Really stylish. And Magano looks great.

Ahhh I see that explains the occasional disconnect between the two then but I agree that over the 11 episodes they've balanced it well. I really wish I could create gifs/webms, Sakugabooru has a few (including what seems like most of the OP :) ) but none highlighting that effect. So glad there's a second cour for this.

Can't believe I forgot to mention that Subaru-sensei is the best...

This again is a reason I'm glad I have no background with the manga to keep comparing things to. Going in virgin is definitely the way to go, because as an anime viewer it has been very well paced and very easy to watch.

I have to agree, I know that with other adaptations of books or comics I can't help thinking 'But in the source...' it tends to result in merely average adaptations seeming far worse to me than they probably are as standalone products. Not really having read any manga has made it easier for me to enjoy good to average adaptations of excellent source material and I have this thread to inform me when they're butchering the source!

Ascheroth

Twin Star Exorcists had a really rough run of anime original episodes that ruined its pacing, something that was one of the strengths of its source material at that point. It's still decent show, but I don't think they've done a very good job with the way they've been padding out the adaptation.

I honestly don't mind the padding much. I actually like most of it. The recent stuff with Subaru has been a lot of fun.
Yes, the original has tight pacing and you could argue it would have been a better fit for a 13 episode show to begin with, but that's not what we have.
And I think they made the best of it within those constraint.

I actually started reading the manga after watching the first episode of the anime, which only made the comparison between the two even fresher.
That might be part of it. I've been following the manga since chapter 1, so it's been a while for me.

Ahhh I see that explains the occasional disconnect between the two then but I agree that over the 11 episodes they've balanced it well. I really wish I could create gifs/webms, Sakugabooru has a few (including what seems like most of the OP :) ) but none highlighting that effect. So glad there's a second cour for this.

What would you say if I told you that everything with Subaru was anime original? :p
She's a manga character, but I don't think she has done anything yet there.
The last stuff from the manga was the episodes about
the truth of the Hinatsuki tragedy and Benios brother
, which they nailed completely.

Jex

While we're reminiscing about the various stages of AnimeGAF, and in light of nintendoman's recent posts, I'll have to admit that a major motivation for my prolific outpouring of writing was because I cared too much about what other people thought.

I couldn't help myself. Whenever someone would make a thread or a post disparaging a cherished show I just had to jump down into the trenches to show how wrong they were for having a different opinion than me. How could they be so blind? Neon Genesis Evangelion is clearly a masterpiece and they're just too stupid to get it! If only they had the common sense to read my words and understand my beautiful argument they'd realise the error of their ways and then they could have the exact same experience that I had!

Now, there's obviously nothing wrong with arguing to defend a show that like. I do it all the time. It's just a question of where your reasoning to argue on a show's behalf is coming from. I (sometimes) used to argue because I felt the need for other's to see what I could to see, so that we could reach a consensus where my (correct) opinion would triumph. That's rarely a good reason to do anything, especially online where eventually you must come to realise that you can't magically change people's mind about a reaction they've had to a piece of art. That's futile and foolish.

Once you've been around the block enough times and argued in enough circles you should have picked up on something (which for many people is obvious) - everyone has their own reactions and their own opinions about a piece of art and that's fine. We won't all agree - but that's cool. I enjoy reading and considering the wide variety of reactions people have to an anime. It's interesting to observe the diversity.

So, what do I consider a healthier way to behave? Well, if you're looking to explain the reasons why you think a show succeeded (or failed) and you're willing and able to engage in a dialogue with people who agree (and disagree) with your reasons, that's fine.

For example, I don't share hosanna's opinion of the latter-half of Gundam Build Fighters. I really loved that entire series all the way through. In general, however, I can't say that his criticisms are somehow 'wrong'. He made a lot of good points. The things that bothered him didn't bother me - and that's fine. I'm not going to go through his review, point by point and try to 'rebut' his critique because that's not going to change his mind and bring him around to my view. That's now how people are.

Now, saying that, if someone makes an argument that I don't think is fair, well reasoned, or supported by the text I might look to take that apart. But that's a very different thing entirely.

Not caring about what other people are saying anymore has freed me from the urge to jump into every single Evangelion thread, which is great. However, there are downsides to being apathetic. When I cared, deeply, about this kind of thing I had a lot more energy and drive to write posts - which was very helpful. I can't reach for those same reserves now because my opinion of how online discourse works has changed so much in the last few years.

Cornbread78

Yes, yes she is:

cSa0tKm.gif

No real spoilers, just sensei doing awesome things...

https://youtu.be/R1qvL-YzeIU

I came close to dropping Twin Star Exorcists, but I stuck with it. It has issues, mainly pacing issues like the ones mentioned above, but the core of the show still works. It nicely balances humor and action. The characters bounce off each other well. The main villain...doesn't really work so far, but the scene where Rokuro and Benio decide to get stronger together because of him was really well done.

John Blade

The battle is starting and yet we have to go through the same routine we saw in the previous battle which take a bit of the show time. After those is done, is start to get interesting. Now, the aliens is this two giant statute which look like it will kick the ass of the people fighting them. Will see how they will kill them if they can.

Also, like in the previous fight, Masaru is trying to take command which didn't do as well as not everyone believe what he say till small incident happen. Also, killing will be hard as you can see in one scene. It look like the MC Kai is getting sick of it and look like he just want to get this done and kill the aliens. This might get interesting to watch as even though they're friends, both have different view of the situation. For Masaru, he want all of the people to work together to kill the alien while MC Kai, want to get it done even if it mean doing it by himself. I guess the female Kai have now push him that point after he get sick of what she say about Masaru.

They look like another incident is happening in the temple. Can't say if it will be also another important part but I have a feeling it will become one based on how it was shown.

Still, get ready to pump up of see this fight. It look more harder now and they will be more death people in this game base on what they're getting themselves up to. Would wonder if the new female character, Sei, will die in this fight as the the weird tension between MC Kai and female Kai after the sex scene cause an odd feeling between them.

Sölf

Joker Game 10-12 END
First of all, this show had really good german. It wasn't perfect, but at least it had the right gramatical structure. Just look at the picture above. It's beautiful. The last 3 episodes also delivered. They were again different enough from the others to be their own thing. It is a bit sad, that the show was mostly episodic, because the best episodes where 1+2 and 8+9. And those were 2 parters. Don't get me wrong, the episodic formula did work and some of those (especially the last 3) were really, really good. I just think in retrospec, that it would have worked better to have either a storyline throughout the whole show or more mini arcs that were 2-3 episodes long.

Overall, I really liked the show. One of my favorites of this season and I really would like to see a second season. They can do quite a bit with the setting and I actually think that basically the Agency itself is the main character and the actual characters aren't that important in the grand scheme of things is a good thing. The soundtrack was probably the best of the whole season and animation quality was really good throughout the whole season, unlike other shows. Yes, Kabaneri, I am looking at you. So, yeah. Season 2 please, thank you.

The Asterisk War 2nd Season Episode 24 – Reunion (END)

Omg they brought back Brand New World, anime saved.

Also I didnt realize one of the composers was on twitter, he favorited one my tweets, happy.

Taruranto

You mean it gets worse, but then gets better?:p I don't know, I feel like the second half of the cour gets better and more enjoyable. At the very least the characters are such a joy.

The characters are literally a bunch of random anime stock phrases throw together, it's honestly so cringey to watch that I'm not sure how I made up to episode 10.

John Blade

Okay....this artificial tension is getting stupid in this episode and Masaru inability to decide to not only stop the person who is hurting the homeless man or even fight in this entire battle is start to get annoying. So much time have spend on Masaru and MC Kai of whether or not they should shoot first which is stupid. The idea of shoot first ask question later is might be the best choice right then. Spending time to whether who shoot first is just dumb. Make you wonder if the team can even fight at all with this issue.

Thank god, MC Kai manage to hurt one of the alien monster statute which is something consider how much time have spend in this battle. I might understand they want to push the same issue Masaru have which is he don't want to kill but come on, when you have two big alien statute is trying to kill you, that thinking of not hurting the alien is out of the window.

This episode is kinda boring when you consider how much artificial tension they drag this episode down. In a way, if they pick up the pace, the entire fight might actually last 10 minutes or less if everyone work together to fight the stature and maybe save the homeless man from it. What we got is just damn annoying of waiting.

Just a questions, is this fight in the manga and if so, do they drag this entire fight this long?

NOTE: Just notice it but don't know if it's the case. For some reason, the animation quality just drop a bit when you see the character animation. Don't know if it's true but it doesn't have the same look I know from the 1st season. Wonder if my eye is lying to me or not.

Jex

It's true, but that arc has some really fantastic character moments, which is the big appeal of that series anyway.

Though even I would probably get tired of seeing nothing but a tournament for a whole cour.
Surely it depends on the tournament. Are we talking Yu Yu Hakusho where the tournament is directly intertwined with the characters and their journeys to the point where the culmination of the tournament is extremely meaningful and significant? Where even the battles against 'scrub' enemies are creative and exciting?

Now, there's obviously nothing wrong with arguing to defend a show that like. I do it all the time. It's just a question of where your reasoning to argue on a show's behalf is coming from. I (sometimes) used to argue because I felt the need for other's to see what I could to see, so that we could reach a consensus where my (correct) opinion would triumph. That's rarely a good reason to do anything, especially online where eventually you must come to realise that you can't magically change people's mind about a reaction they've had to a piece of art. That's futile and foolish.

Once you've been around the block enough times and argued in enough circles you should have picked up on something (which for many people is obvious) - everyone has their own reactions and their own opinions about a piece of art and that's fine. We won't all agree - but that's cool. I enjoy reading and considering the wide variety of reactions people have to an anime. It's interesting to observe the diversity.

So, what do I consider a healthier way to behave? Well, if you're looking to explain the reasons why you think a show succeeded (or failed) and you're willing and able to engage in a dialogue with people who agree (and disagree) with your reasons, that's fine.

For example, I don't share hosanna's opinion of the latter-half of Gundam Build Fighters. I really loved that entire series all the way through. In general, however, I can't say that his criticisms are somehow 'wrong'. He made a lot of good points. The things that bothered him didn't bother me - and that's fine. I'm not going to go through his review, point by point and try to 'rebut' his critique because that's not going to change his mind and bring him around to my view. That's now how people are.

Now, saying that, if someone makes an argument that I don't think is fair, well reasoned, or supported by the text I might look to take that apart. But that's a very different thing entirely.

Good post. I think I made this exact argument in the last thread about how I prefer people to post in here. I felt the same way towards hosanna's GBF posts but I didn't have any objections to it because he went into detail and made some good points about things that personally didn't bother me as well.

What mostly bothers me are passive aggressive drive-by posts that feel less like they're trying to engage in meaningful discussion than they are trying to say they're smarter than everyone else, shooting down any counter-points I might make.

I just want more fair and well reasoned arguments.

Like I said, I imagine Gundam Build Fighters in that and other parts has more resonance for people who are experienced and invested in the Gundam franchise, for whom the fanservice and references can have more meaning than "That's an interesting robot design." As someone with limited exposure to the franchise, I'm not the show's target audience in that regard.

I will say, I do miss your in-depth posts. They were usually thoughtful and taught me a lot about ways to approach not just anime, but film in general. It's an odd thing, but I don't think I really understood what cinematography was until I participated in AnimeGAF.

What mostly bothers me are passive aggressive drive-by posts that feel less like they're trying to engage in meaningful discussion than they are trying to say they're smarter than everyone else, shooting down any counter-points I might make.

I hope you're thinking of something specific here because it's also tiring to see people paint anything they don't want to hear as a drive by post.

Russ T

Banned
People say bad things about a bad show. Pretty crazy world we live in!

Does MHA stand for something else, too? My Hero Academia isn't bad, so I know you're not referring to that!

I hope you're thinking of something specific here because it's also tiring to see people paint anything they don't want to hear as a drive by post.

I think the one I quoted above is a good example of an inflammatory drive-by post. Serves no purpose besides bait.

This isn't exactly a rarity on GAF, and the anime community threads are, unfortunately, no exception.

TUSR

Banned
Russ T are you coming out for drinks at TI?

edit: this isn't the Dota thread thanks mobile GAF bouncing ads

Taruranto

... That's it? The previous episodes seemed to hint there were some higher-ups trying to mess with the D Agency, but it looks like nothing came out of that.

Overall, a pretty disappointing anime. It had two great episodes, a decent one a bunch of forgettable episodes that didn't add much. It felt like a show that tried to be "smart", but without actually smart writing behind it (Maybe the novels are better, I dunno)

If it wasn't about smug men in suits I doubt anyone would have cared much.

I think the one I quoted above is a good example of an inflammatory drive-by post. Serves no purpose besides bait.

This isn't exactly a rarity on GAF, and the anime community threads are, unfortunately, no exception.

True enough, though I think it's much worse elsewhere than in this thread. I just have an aversion to the phrase after hearing it misused a bunch. It's like hot-takes, everything you don't agree with is a fucking hot take now.

Russ T

Banned
I guess this is a good excuse to link to a cool action scene from the show I ran across on sakugabooru.

Wait what. I didn't realize the show was different from the OVA. Well dang I guess I gotta watch that.

True enough, though I think it's much worse elsewhere than in this thread. I just have an aversion to the phrase after hearing it misused a bunch. It's like hot-takes, everything you don't agree with is a fucking hot take now.

I would absolutely agree that it's better 'round these parts than elsewhere on the forums! And yeah I do think people overuse certain phrases. I just, you know... it does happen. And it sucks. It's not fun for anyone, really.

Quasar

see it might be ego for me, or that I just naturally assume animegaf is so wrong that every positive reaction should be taken as negative, and every negative should be taken as positive but the negativity in this thread doesn't get me down :p

in general the shows animegaf likes I hate, and shows they hate I like. it's why it is weird when we are on the same page lol. (Kiznaiver has nothing going for it, terrible characters and plot. MHA is awesome for example :p)

For me its mixed. Whilst certain genres that I tend to enjoy get shit on (such as romantic comedies/harem shows) and others always talked about I dont give a shit about (shonen and sport shows) if I look at the end of year votes shows I like are always well represented. So it may just be that I line up more with the tastes of the silent majority than I'd think.

For me its mixed. Whilst certain genres that I tend to enjoy get shit on (such as romantic comedies/harem shows) and others always talked about I dont give a shit about (shonen and sport shows) if I look at the end of year votes shows I like are always well represented. So it may just be that I line up more with the tastes of the silent majority than I'd think.

There's just less talk in general here about long running series like shonen and sports shows. Less people watch them and those that do don't always post about it. I know I often fall into that category, especially now that some of the people I used to discuss sports shows with here aren't around anymore.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Okay....this artificial tension is getting stupid in this episode and Masaru inability to decide to not only stop the person who is hurting the homeless man or even fight in this entire battle is start to get annoying. So much time have spend on Masaru and MC Kai of whether or not they should shoot first which is stupid. The idea of shoot first ask question later is might be the best choice right then. Spending time to whether who shoot first is just dumb. Make you wonder if the team can even fight at all with this issue.

Thank god, MC Kai manage to hurt one of the alien monster statute which is something consider how much time have spend in this battle. I might understand they want to push the same issue Masaru have which is he don't want to kill but come on, when you have two big alien statute is trying to kill you, that thinking of not hurting the alien is out of the window.

This episode is kinda boring when you consider how much artificial tension they drag this episode down. In a way, if they pick up the pace, the entire fight might actually last 10 minutes or less if everyone work together to fight the stature and maybe save the homeless man from it. What we got is just damn annoying of waiting.

Just a questions, is this fight in the manga and if so, do they drag this entire fight this long?

NOTE: Just notice it but don't know if it's the case. For some reason, the animation quality just drop a bit when you see the character animation. Don't know if it's true but it doesn't have the same look I know from the 1st season. Wonder if my eye is lying to me or not.

Buddha statute fight was from the manga, but i don't remember homeless scene from it. The anime did changes several things from the manga. For example, the suits in the manga works just fine without the user need to be motivated. The biker dude who has family was one of the guy who try to rape Kishimoto in the manga while in the animr they made him a decent guy.

I was thinking of a specific poster who gets on my nerves when it comes to what he posts and how he writes his criticisms. I originally was going to include in my post that you quoted about why I feel his criticism in particular bothers me but then my post would just turn into another call-out post against someone and I didn't want that.

Sterok

Joker Game 12

I don't really know why I finished this. The concept is intriguing, but the execution was extremely lackluster. I don't care about anyone, and the mysteries are half-baked at best. There were interesting points scattered about, but those don't make this a good show. Oh well. Can't win them all.

Jex

Good post. I think I made this exact argument in the last thread about how I prefer people to post in here. I felt the same way towards hosanna's GBF posts but I didn't have any objections to it because he went into detail and made some good points about things that personally didn't bother me as well.

I just want more fair and well reasoned arguments.
I completely understand where you're coming from on this but, in all honesty, even when I find people who aren't interested in engaging in a real dialogue, that no longer bothers me. That's fine, heck, it might even be the norm. I understand that's not what most people are looking to do.

I am at peace with the level of discourse most people care to have. We're just chatting on the internet.

Jex

Like I said, I imagine Gundam Build Fighters in that and other parts has more resonance for people who are experienced and invested in the Gundam franchise, for whom the fanservice and references can have more meaning than "That's an interesting robot design." As someone with limited exposure to the franchise, I'm not the show's target audience in that regard.

I will say, I do miss your in-depth posts. They were usually thoughtful and taught me a lot about ways to approach not just anime, but film in general. It's an odd thing, but I don't think I really understood what cinematography was until I participated in AnimeGAF.
I don't think it's too odd. Most schools (obviously generalising) feature standardised literature classes that teach people how to interpret a text. We're giving the tools to dissect and analyse novels, plays and poetry - but it's far rarer (more generalising) for schools to teach the study of film language.

Film language, as a subject for 'academic' discussion, apparently hasn't been around long enough to warrant being part of everyone's education which is kind of funny when you consider that most kids/teenagers/adults are going to spend more time watching movies/tv than reading books.

Exalted

Hundred 12 END

Of the 4 shows that i already finished from this season , so far Hundred was the only one that didn't really disappoint me, since it managed to deliver exactly what i expected from it. I don't know if that tells how great this show was or the quality of this season :p

This show was art indeed.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't think it's too odd. Most schools (obviously generalising) feature standardised literature classes that teach people how to interpret a text. We're giving the tools to dissect and analyse novels, plays and poetry - but it's far rarer (more generalising) for schools to teach the study of film language.

Film language, as a subject for 'academic' discussion, apparently hasn't been around long enough to warrant being part of everyone's education which is kind of funny when you consider that most kids/teenagers/adults are going to spend more time watching movies/tv than reading books.
This is why I only get my anime advice from the ANNcast, a trustworthy source with a background in film study. :)

According to this reddit thread the Kuma Miko script writer deleted his account.

And reading some more about what happened in the show, especially towards the end. What the fuck? Why would you decide to go for such a demented anime original ending. I mean there were a bunch of messed up vibes in the first couple episodes i saw but that it actually doubles down on all that is hella stupid.

Aki-at

I am sure that deep down you are the biggest MHA fan out there. No need to be shy.

If All Might was the main focus of MHA, I definitely think I would like the show more than I did, as it was I just dropped it on episode 3 or 4.

Good fight in episode 12 though.

Funny enough in my school only the top 2 set of English students were made to analyze Psycho and Of Mice and Men, but everyone in the lower sets never had films attached to their curriculum.

Top Bottom