• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

For some reason my back is hurting so much, it's been dull for the past week and I brushed it off but now it's killing me. I don't think I can watching anything today guys, or maybe now's the best reason to watch a bunch of shit? Either way while I make up my mind I'm too young to be having back issues so this better not be a thing :/

Versailles, Hound, Cobra...decisions.

Had a similar problem, sciatica, not too long ago thanks to a mix of what one could say was too much exercise, along with me starting my co-op at an office. In college I got to at least walk around between classes, and my part-time job involved standing anyway. Sitting by a desk the whole day, 5 days a week just screwed me right up. Put me right out, and I was not able to work out at all for a good week or two.

Took some anti inflammatories, that helped, so go to a doctor. Ice and lots of stretching helped too. Try sitting straight on a hard chair. I still haven't recovered 100%, and I'm not sure I will for a good while, but it's significantly better and I can workout again. Just not with the same intensity as before, that back pain radiating down my right leg was downright brutal.

javac

Armored trooper votoms if you haven't.

That's been on my watch list for years, it looks super cool but the 52 episode length is putting me off from starting it right now. But now that I think about it however, Rose of Versailles isn't that much shorter, for some reason I got it into my head that Votoms was a lot longer, huh. The OP is so good, dat epileptic attack at the end. Maybe I should watch that soon, thanks for the reminder!

My decisions are getting harder and harder by the day D:

Had a similar problem, sciatica, not too long ago thanks to a mix of what one could say was too much exercise, along with me starting my co-op at an office. In college I got to at least walk around between classes, and my part-time job involved standing anyway. Sitting by a desk the whole day, 5 days a week just screwed me right up. Put me right out, and I was not able to work out at all for a good week or two.

Took some anti inflammatories, that helped, so go to a doctor. Ice and lots of stretching helped too. Try sitting straight on a hard chair. I still haven't recovered 100%, and I'm not sure I will for a good while, but it's significantly better and I can workout again. Just not with the same intensity as before, that back pain radiating down my right leg was downright brutal.
Thanks for the info and more importantly for the tips, I'm glad that you're feeling better but it obviously sucks that you haven't recovered 100%. I'll see the doctor tomorrow morning and try to keep stretching , you really take your mobility for granted when all of a sudden you're struggling to get out of the shower heh.

CahqR09.jpg
dbQCQG4.jpg

Q1pBknB.jpg
441kX7S.jpg

ZkIJiEh.gif
I like the cameras in this world but they need to go wider.

I really like Miyako the best, but they're all nice, and Nori is climbing to the top of my like list too. I even got my brother to watch since I watch it on the TV, it's been a long time since he watched something "old" with me like that. =D

cj_iwakura

Initial D Fifth Stage 1

Wow, did that budget take a nose dive... but who cares. Same VAs, same Eurobeat, more silly plots and romantic drama. I'm in.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide

Thanks for the info and more importantly for the tips, I'm glad that you're feeling better but it obviously sucks that you haven't recovered 100%. I'll see the doctor tomorrow morning and try to keep stretching , you really take your mobility for granted when all of a sudden you're struggling to get out of the shower heh.

Not a problem! It all started with a little itch on my lower right side, just like you I didn't give it too much attention, I just turned 22. "Back pain is for older people, this will pass" I thought. Slowly as time went on it got harder and harder to sit comfortably, specially on my right side. Next thing I knew my back was throbbing in pain, my whole right thigh was killing me, my right knee was weak and my calf sore as heck. Don't brush it off. Do go to the doctor and tell him exactly how you feel down the smallest itch around your back.

javac

Not a problem! It all started with a little itch on my lower right side, just like you I didn't give it too much attention, I just turned 22. "Back pain is for older people, this will pass" I thought. Slowly as time went on it got harder and harder to sit comfortably, specially on my right side. Next thing I knew my back was throbbing in pain, my whole right thigh was killing me, my right knee was weak and my calf sore as heck. Don't brush it off. Do go to the doctor and tell him exactly how you feel down the smallest itch around your back.
Yeah it doesn't sound too dissimilar to your situation, I too thought that it would pass but it just got worse. Definitely going to get it checked out tomorrow. Thanks again. I really need to get a softer mattress while I'm at it :p

About to finish Cobra. After that, I'm thinking about starting The Irresponsible Captain Tylor. Never watched it, and I'm in the mood for more wacky space adventures.

Because as we all know, space makes everything cooler.

I'm also going to give Un-Go a try. I'm in the mood for a detective story, and I heard interesting things about it.

About to finish Cobra. After that, I'm thinking about starting The Irresponsible Captain Tylor. Never watched it, and I'm in the mood for more wacky space adventures.

I'm also going to give Un-Go a try. I'm in the mood for a detective story, and I heard interesting things about it.

Tantei Team KZ Jiken Note is also a good detective story.

I would strongly advise against Un-Go. There aren't a lot of great detective stories in anime, but if you want one you should watch Mouryou no Hako instead.

I would strongly advise against Un-Go. There aren't a lot of great detective stories in anime, but if you want one you should watch Mouryou no Hako instead.

I only watched the first episode of Un-Go, and there were way too many plotholes in the solution to the case for me to watch any more. I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was something like something really bulky being hidden under clothing or being able to change into a complicated outfit instantly or something.

Kinda want to watch Macross Delta, I've only ever seen the first Macross ~a decade ago (via Robotech), and I watched the OVA and movie versions of Macross Plus a few years back. I want to catch up on the series before watching Delta, just started watching Do You Remember Love for a recap and holy shit the details on all the equipment is amazing.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Wonder how those Azumanga Blu-rays are going to look. It's going to be an upscale so.....

Cerberus Episode 12 – Return of the Dark Dragon

Reminds me of when I end up liking antagonists, all my reasons for loving kylo ren for example, etc.

In any case fantastic episode, the solution to the issue at hand was kind of funny.

-

Also we get great cat people this season, the numerous catboys in Rin-ne are wonderful, then we also have the one from ReZero, he was glorious.

Does Macross have the first interracial couple in anime? I totally forgot that this show has a prominent black character, I can't remember the last time I've seen a show with one (edit: I just remembered, it was probably Afro Samurai). The closest most shows get is a super tan/gyaru character, or gangster black tourists from America who get quickly killed or run away after seeing the MC's superpower.

tuffy

Damm....if it's just an upscale, should people who own the DVD set need to get the Blu-rays version of it?
Since they'll probably outsource the upscale to Q-Tec, I wouldn't expect it to look very good. Being on Blu-Ray does offer the possibility of lossless audio and better subtitles, though.

Sianos

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan 1

Pretty adorable so far! The first episode follows the manga pretty much exactly, for better and for worse. I personally found the early scenes to be charming and the call-backs to the original series seen from a different perspective made me smile, but I also recognize that it's a pretty slow paced start. I have no issue with the slow pacing since it fits the tone of the work or is done for a purpose, but it did feel a little disjointed at the start, and I think the first episode was a bit reliant on familiarity with the source material to introduce the core characters. I noticed Asakura's introduction seemed to be more fleshed out, which makes sense because she is significantly altered as a character, whereas other characters didn't get quite as focused of an introduction which I think would have helped the show. I probably would have altered the dialogue a bit to flow better - I definitely noticed it improved a lot over the course of the released manga volumes, so it would have been good to spruce up the early writing. I think over the course of the manga it found its own identity a bit more, and editing the early episodes to better reflect that would have been a good choice. I'm under the impression that the somewhat structurally weak start in conjunction with heightened expectations due to the source material hurt the perception of this fluffy, light show. That said, I personally enjoyed the first episode and appreciated the premise. I look forward to seeing more of it animated in that pleasant style and more fuzzy feelings. Sometimes, you just want to mix it up with something sweet and light, and this alternate take based on the altered world "what-if"scenario presented in the movie is exactly that.

dac15_blush.gif

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So just how big of a turd burger was the Kuma Miko finale? I would watch it but that would involve watching an episode of Kuma Miko.

Does Macross have the first interracial couple in anime? I totally forgot that this show has a prominent black character, I can't remember the last time I've seen a show with one (edit: I just remembered, it was probably Afro Samurai). The closest most shows get is a super tan/gyaru character, or gangster black tourists from America who get quickly killed or run away after seeing the MC's superpower.

I'd hope there was one earlier, but my knowledge of pre-80s anime is quite limited.

Kuma Miko was a decent comedy in spots, and I haven't watched the back half of the show, but it's a shame it had to taint itself with unnecessary stuff like this.

I just can't understand what purpose that served? Was that supposed to be funny?? Who in their right mind would think so? And I agree that music... It only made it worse.

Jarmel

Banned
I see the anime with gross pedo-bear-rape jokes ended with the girl rejecting society and being a shut-in bear-waifu. Yup. Typical of Japanese cultural cartoons. I'll stick to my high quality meth lord shows produced in the U S of A.

Don't forget to watch the crack show later too!

Russ T

Banned
I would say that a focus on the episode count for MHA simply tries to call to light how futile shounen character growth is if a studio isn't willing to commit to really following through.

Wait what hahahahaha. Deku exhibits more personal growth across a few days than most shounen action heroes exhibit across years.

Trojita

I would say that a focus on the episode count for MHA simply tries to call to light how futile shounen character growth is if a studio isn't willing to commit to really following through. What is the end goal that MHA establishes? Deku wants to be a hero. What picture does the MHA anime capture? Deku goes to hero school for like three days. The disparity between the long term goal and what we witness as an audience is absurd even by shounen standards.

Beyond that, I really did have pacing issues with the show on an episode by episode basis. Episode eight in particular really showed just how bad the series could be about regurgitating the same information over and over again. Not only does it have a "last time on" recap, but immediately after you get the broader retelling of the fight by the students and you're seven minutes in on an episode that's the follow up to a wimpy and pointless training fight that took two episodes to tell. I don't know the story or what it needs to cover, but what is being told doesn't cut it.

MHA is beyond pedestrian. It's the worst elements of straightforward hero superpowers combined with one of the most plodding and dull school settings imaginable. Sometimes slow is the right pace, but there's nothing of substance to the characters, no embellishment, cohesion, or appeal to the world, or any kind of complex hierarchy or rule set to explain. Stacked against other recent Shonen Jump adaptations or other similar works with an action focus MHA just fares extremely poorly.

I mean...you might as well say you feel bad for people who are unable to appreciate the latest flavor of Mountain Dew. Like their life is somehow incomplete because they cannot derive the purest form of pleasure from the latest market driven puerile treat.

The start of the anime's production was very early in the mangas life, in fact very rare for a shounen. There wasn't much of a source to draw from at that point. They were very excited to make this show and they believed it had great promise so they greenlit the anime even though the manga had just started.

MHA is beyond pedestrian. It's the worst elements of straightforward hero superpowers combined with one of the most plodding and dull school settings imaginable. Sometimes slow is the right pace, but there's nothing of substance to the characters, no embellishment, cohesion, or appeal to the world, or any kind of complex hierarchy or rule set to explain. Stacked against other recent Shonen Jump adaptations or other similar works with an action focus MHA just fares extremely poorly.

This opinion is terrible. Pedestrian anime viewer only and terrible.

cj_iwakura

Well, of course that means... (Major Macross Spoilers)

One of them has to go.

Trojita

I was expecting a different kind of broken from Kuma Miko. So she just has a breakdown that causes her to become really dumb?

Trojita

When MHA started airing, there were 7 volumes of the manga out. When FMA started airing, there were 5 volumes of the manga out. Lol.

But how many shounen's also diverge as fast as FMA? For some reason I don't see FMA as a regular shounen like the jump ones lol.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
While we're reminiscing about the various stages of AnimeGAF, and in light of nintendoman's recent posts, I'll have to admit that a major motivation for my prolific outpouring of writing was because I cared too much about what other people thought.

I couldn't help myself. Whenever someone would make a thread or a post disparaging a cherished show I just had to jump down into the trenches to show how wrong they were for having a different opinion than me. How could they be so blind? Neon Genesis Evangelion is clearly a masterpiece and they're just too stupid to get it! If only they had the common sense to read my words and understand my beautiful argument they'd realise the error of their ways and then they could have the exact same experience that I had!

Now, there's obviously nothing wrong with arguing to defend a show that like. I do it all the time. It's just a question of where your reasoning to argue on a show's behalf is coming from. I (sometimes) used to argue because I felt the need for other's to see what I could to see, so that we could reach a consensus where my (correct) opinion would triumph. That's rarely a good reason to do anything, especially online where eventually you must come to realise that you can't magically change people's mind about a reaction they've had to a piece of art. That's futile and foolish.

Once you've been around the block enough times and argued in enough circles you should have picked up on something (which for many people is obvious) - everyone has their own reactions and their own opinions about a piece of art and that's fine. We won't all agree - but that's cool. I enjoy reading and considering the wide variety of reactions people have to an anime. It's interesting to observe the diversity.

So, what do I consider a healthier way to behave? Well, if you're looking to explain the reasons why you think a show succeeded (or failed) and you're willing and able to engage in a dialogue with people who agree (and disagree) with your reasons, that's fine.

For example, I don't share hosanna's opinion of the latter-half of Gundam Build Fighters. I really loved that entire series all the way through. In general, however, I can't say that his criticisms are somehow 'wrong'. He made a lot of good points. The things that bothered him didn't bother me - and that's fine. I'm not going to go through his review, point by point and try to 'rebut' his critique because that's not going to change his mind and bring him around to my view. That's now how people are.

Now, saying that, if someone makes an argument that I don't think is fair, well reasoned, or supported by the text I might look to take that apart. But that's a very different thing entirely.

Not caring about what other people are saying anymore has freed me from the urge to jump into every single Evangelion thread, which is great. However, there are downsides to being apathetic. When I cared, deeply, about this kind of thing I had a lot more energy and drive to write posts - which was very helpful. I can't reach for those same reserves now because my opinion of how online discourse works has changed so much in the last few years.

This is more or less why I stopped posting, I got out of the mentality that it was my duty to uphold reason when presented with unreasonable opinions. Ultimately the work stands on its own for the most part.

Mailbox

When MHA started airing, there were 7 volumes of the manga out. When FMA started airing, there were 5 volumes of the manga out. Lol.

Not sure if this is the best comparison since FMA was mostly anime original stuff :p

I do agree that they were way too eager to make a MHA anime. The first big turn of the series just ended :p

Top Bottom