• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

duckroll

But how many shounen's also diverge as fast as FMA? For some reason I don't see FMA as a regular shounen like the jump ones lol.

Not sure if this is the best comparison since FMA was mostly anime original stuff :p

I do agree that they were way too eager to make a MHA anime. The first big turn of the series just ended :p

FMA had more episodes based on manga material than than the total number of episodes MHA will have in two seasons. :p

You guys have a bad memory...

Well, of course that means... (Major Macross Spoilers)

One of them has to go.

I'm watching Do You Remember Love, (major spoilers)
the way it happens in this one is almost comical compared to the series. Since it's a film covering a 36 episode series, I'm not sure if there's any other way they could have done it, but it's still a huge disappointment when he's killed off after maybe 10 minutes from his introduction and only 3 minutes of screen time. I still sometimes think about the way it happened in the original, one of my favorite deaths in anime. Such a long buildup, lots of false death flags making you feel safe that he'll survive but still worried that he won't (just like how the other characters feel about the pilots when they leave for battles), and then his absence is felt through the rest of the series.
Such a great show, I'll probably rewatch the original series once I get caught up with the other shows.

Jarmel

Banned
giphy.gif

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
FMA had more episodes based on manga material than than the total number of episodes MHA will have in two seasons. :p

Well yeah I'll admit to that because we are ending at chapter 18 in the MHA manga when there was I believe around 30 chapters made by the start of the MHA Production Team starting.

They decided to fuck the pacing and probably didn't know where to finish too. We were still in the middle of MHA Chapter 30 manga spoilers:
The tournament at that point, specifically the cavalry battle.

How many chapters did the FMA production team use of the available number before they diverged? The diverge was apparently always planned while MHA Production Team didn't want to go to that point so they ended the show early to prepare for a second season while leaving source material there that could have been used.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I feel bad that MHA is a show that didn't do very well on its airing channel and wasn't the best adaption.

Too bad it is on "Read the manga" chart. Not every adaption need be on there if you are willing to wait for animation, but I can't wholeheartedly recommend the anime over the manga.

The final three episodes were anime only...all three which happen to be by far the worst part of the show.

To think it was based on a delusion and they chose to make it a reality.

I knew to fuck off with the show at episode 3, and for a good cost. Last thing I needed was to melt down over this shit show.

At least the girl from my current avatar will be animated in New Game! next season....I'm not sure how (considering the source material) but I'm now fearful of a Kuma Miko ending for it.

Space Adventure Cobra Finished
download_1.png

A beautiful touching finale about how true love, friendship, and pro wrestling can triumph over resurrected space samurai Hitler. Also, we learn that Hitler is apparently a fan of pro wrestling, and ultimate master plan involves becoming The Wizard of Oz. This was a fantastically fun finale. Cobra reminds me a bit of Jojo in that it's main interest is almost always just having fun. The whole series is a combination of classic sci-fi action movie goodness. Cobra himself never really develops much as a character, but he's such a blast to watch you never mind. He practically struts into every scene, brimming with his devil may care attitude. The universe Cobra lives in is a cruddy rotten looking place, filled to the brim with scoundrels scumbags killers and crooks, but Cobra deftly handles them all, with a smile most of the time. It's hard not to look at him and see other iconic anime and videogame characters in him. For those annoyed by such things, the show doesn't lean away from the feminine fatales, but it felt perfectly at home in this universe to me.

So long Cobra. You were a 31 episode thrill ride.

So Kumamiko is like a hentai mind break but without the hentai.

I'm just beyond annoyed at the anime due to it acting like anxiety disorders/mental illness and such are something that should be constantly joked about and abused for one's personal gain. The end was just a really disturbing view that we should just ignore someone's serve anxiety disorder/mental illness, even if it mentally cripples them....

jonjonaug

From what I'm reading it sounds like the director and scriptwriter of bear anime took a really generic slice of life series and played up the sub-textual elements for horrific effect.

That sounds amazing. Was there something wrong with the execution? Because the video of the ending I saw looked brilliant.

Jintor

From what I'm reading it sounds like the director and scriptwriter of bear anime took a really generic slice of life series and played up the sub-textual elements for horrific effect.

That sounds amazing. Was there something wrong with the execution? Because the video of the ending I saw looked brilliant.

it sounds like a expected outcomes mismatch from my position of not-bothering-to-watch-it over here.

JCG

The result is definitely not what the fans wanted to see. Execution can't always make up for that.

Risette keeps warning me that the first musou game of a franchise invariably sucks. No escape.

Ken's Rage was better than the second game, or at least that's supposed to be the common opinion.

Which is a bit weird, since you'd think it would be hard to screw up a Hokuto No Ken game.

Quasar

Though looking at the manga raw of the chapter the final episode covers it looks pretty much the same as the episode.

jonjonaug

The result is definitely not what the fans wanted to see. Execution can't always make up for that.

Why wouldn't they like being rused like that? It sounds super fun and way better than anything that could have happened just by following the source material blindly and the idea of taking the "infantile-minded moe anime protagonist" concept and burning it to the ground is something I'd really love to see.

Kvik

I just like to chime in re: Kuma Miko situation which I find rather disturbing. I haven't seen the finale, but there's one earlier episode where Yoshio casually disrobing Machi to try to get her to wear one of her cosplay outfits. Evidently she didn't like this idea one bit, and was on the verge of crying. Now the whole scene was framed in such a way obviously for comedic effect, but I found the whole situation rather disturbing because Yoshio didn't seem to see that this was wrong in any way. Finally, Hibiki who was taking a nap nearby wakes up and reprimanded Yoshio to stop.

The whole thing was surreal to watch.

I hope anyone who approves of that ending doesn't have any children, because I'd hate to see parents encourage the sexual and mental abuse of young girls.

Kumamiko's ending still isn't 1/10th as awful as Kurenai's pro-child abuse anime original ending. That's still the most infuriating/offensive thing I've ever seen animated.

jonjonaug

I hope anyone who approves of that ending doesn't have any children, because I'd hate to see parents encourage the sexual and mental abuse of young girls.

You know that you can enjoy an ending where bad things happen without thinking "yes, this is something that would be good to happen to a real person", right? I haven't watched the show (because it looks like a dull, by the numbers slice of life show), but I did watch a video of the ending and it looks like there's intentional dissonance going on there to me. Like it's going "hey, look how happy everyone is, isn't this just great?!" when it very very obviously is supposed to be bad.

Quasar

I must be blind in that I didn't really see the former. Though making light of people who have full on panic attacks in social situations was not amusing (nor was the solution offered by her supposed support network). Especially given I'm an introvert. I just just don't hold the anime people to blame as that seems there in the manga from my skim of it.

Wanderer5

I saw bits of Kuma Miko till I saw the part where one of the male characters gets annoyed that she doesn't want him to see her undress but is fine with the bear seeing her or something, and he pinned her down on the floor. That was er....<.<

jonjonaug

I saw bits of Kuma Miko till I saw the part where one of the male characters gets annoyed that she doesn't want him to see her undress but is fine with the bear seeing her or something, and he pinned her down on the floor. That was er....<.<
See this just makes me like the "fuck you" ending even more.

Top Bottom