• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

Kumamiko's ending still isn't 1/10th as awful as Kurenai's pro-child abuse anime original ending. That's still the most infuriating/offensive thing I've ever seen animated.

That's not how I understood Kurenai's ending (as in I saw it as a repudiation of abuse), but I don't expect you to change your mind about that.

You know that you can enjoy an ending where bad things happen without thinking "yes, this is something that would be good to happen to a real person", right? I haven't watched the show (because it looks like a dull, by the numbers slice of life show), but I did watch a video of the ending and it looks like there's intentional dissonance going on there to me. Like it's going "hey, look how happy everyone is, isn't this just great?!" when it very very obviously is supposed to be bad.

I'll admit that I'm just going on second-hand reports and posted screenshots, so perhaps there is some context I am missing. But it sure sounds like the show, which appeared before it aired to be a pleasant relaxed show along the lines of Non Non Biyori, is endorsing the torture of young girls for the enjoyment of men. It seems to play right into all the worst stereotypes about what anime is.

Wait so the whole point of Kumamiko is that the character doesn't grow and regresses at the end?

If you want more details, see here.

blurr

While we're reminiscing about the various stages of AnimeGAF, and in light of nintendoman's recent posts, I'll have to admit that a major motivation for my prolific outpouring of writing was because I cared too much about what other people thought.

I couldn't help myself. Whenever someone would make a thread or a post disparaging a cherished show I just had to jump down into the trenches to show how wrong they were for having a different opinion than me. How could they be so blind? Neon Genesis Evangelion is clearly a masterpiece and they're just too stupid to get it! If only they had the common sense to read my words and understand my beautiful argument they'd realise the error of their ways and then they could have the exact same experience that I had!

Now, there's obviously nothing wrong with arguing to defend a show that like. I do it all the time. It's just a question of where your reasoning to argue on a show's behalf is coming from. I (sometimes) used to argue because I felt the need for other's to see what I could to see, so that we could reach a consensus where my (correct) opinion would triumph. That's rarely a good reason to do anything, especially online where eventually you must come to realise that you can't magically change people's mind about a reaction they've had to a piece of art. That's futile and foolish.

Once you've been around the block enough times and argued in enough circles you should have picked up on something (which for many people is obvious) - everyone has their own reactions and their own opinions about a piece of art and that's fine. We won't all agree - but that's cool. I enjoy reading and considering the wide variety of reactions people have to an anime. It's interesting to observe the diversity.

So, what do I consider a healthier way to behave? Well, if you're looking to explain the reasons why you think a show succeeded (or failed) and you're willing and able to engage in a dialogue with people who agree (and disagree) with your reasons, that's fine.

For example, I don't share hosanna's opinion of the latter-half of Gundam Build Fighters. I really loved that entire series all the way through. In general, however, I can't say that his criticisms are somehow 'wrong'. He made a lot of good points. The things that bothered him didn't bother me - and that's fine. I'm not going to go through his review, point by point and try to 'rebut' his critique because that's not going to change his mind and bring him around to my view. That's now how people are.

Now, saying that, if someone makes an argument that I don't think is fair, well reasoned, or supported by the text I might look to take that apart. But that's a very different thing entirely.

Not caring about what other people are saying anymore has freed me from the urge to jump into every single Evangelion thread, which is great. However, there are downsides to being apathetic. When I cared, deeply, about this kind of thing I had a lot more energy and drive to write posts - which was very helpful. I can't reach for those same reserves now because my opinion of how online discourse works has changed so much in the last few years.

Great post. I feel the same and I think it's worth the effort to at least put your thoughts out regardless of them being convinced of your argument. Just don't count on it.

That being said, in my experience, taking other opinions into account has influenced my viewing experience to some degree which is good or bad depending on how you take it. For me it was in the instance that they make an undeniable argument and my own assessment on how it contrasts with mine. "My own assessment" is a bit vague but simply put it's whether the argument carries enough weight at a personal level.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This opinion is terrible. Pedestrian anime viewer only and terrible.
Is it really that hard to believe someone would find My Hero Academia to be pedestrian? Most of the main cast have special abilities that are simplistic interpretations of the oldest and most popular super hero stereotypes. Shooting electricity, having a tail (woo!), super speed, ice, fire/explosions, super strength, invisibility, animal communication/control, etc. This combined with the simplistic scenarios presented leave MHA as an action focused shounen without anything going for it in the way of creative battle scenarios. After twelve episodes the standout fight was between two beings with super strength and the winning move was to punch a lot very hard.

And what can be said about the setting that pushes it into being something that thinks outside the box? A world exists where people begin to mysteriously develop powers. Some of these people go on to be super heroes. One young boy scrapes through towards his dream of being a hero under the tutelage of his idol. His path? A school for heroes...(TM)(C)(Original work do not steal.)

Line_HTX

*Looks at Kiritobread's list from his spreadsheet*

What the fuck, I got over 2,000 just starting from the end of September?

Though it could've been higher if I didn't go so hard during the NFL season, lolol

Wanderer5

I just realize that Yuzuru Tachikawa is directing Mob Psycho 100.:eek: Being made by Bones, from the creator of One Punch Man, and Death Parade's creator being the director for it. Definitely excited for this anime heh.

Jintor

Is it really that hard to believe someone would find My Hero Academia to be pedestrian? Most of the main cast have special abilities that are simplistic interpretations of the oldest and most popular super hero stereotypes. Shooting electricity, having a tail (woo!), super speed, ice, fire/explosions, super strength, invisibility, animal communication/control, etc. This combined with the simplistic scenarios presented leave MHA as an action focused shounen without anything going for it in the way of creative battle scenarios. After twelve episodes the standout fight was between two beings with super strength and the winning move was to punch a lot very hard.

I see you left out "Navel laser", "Balls of really sticky stuff grown on head", "Turn off gravity on individual objects but cause nausea in user", "Shoots cellephone tape out of elbows". Hell, even Deku's super strength has the self-destructing blow-back part to it which is definitely not standard, and Bakugou's explosions are used in a more direct way than just flinging shoryukens at people. I'm not going to claim something like the anime so far has been the most creative thing around but it's early days.

Thoraxes

I haven't done this in a while but I was bored.
This weeks Blu-ray and DVD releases in the US for 06/21/16.
Blu-ray
DVD

I got And Yet the Town Moves a couple weeks back.

However today I got this:

2016-06-2201.55.296lzte.jpg
2016-06-2201.55.39gflng.jpg

Future Boy Conan 10

I take back my earlier comments on there being a lack of competent adults. Both Lepka and Patch were shown in this episode to have good foresight and planning.

Mandelbo

No, not at all. I should honestly post much less than I do and I was trending heavily that way until this past thread. Previously, I had been down to # 3-5 for a few OT's, lol.... it's boosting from last year and this past season. Metroid and Hosann had been taking the reigns for the past few months...

Actually, below is the top 75 from the past year:
(Sorry, I was working on a spreadsheet in the office and got side tracked for a moment, thus, the below was born)

(Spring 2015 OT1- Spring 2016 OT2<min of 100 post in at least 1 month required>)

1. Cornbread78 6258
  2. MetroidPrimeRib 5022
  3. Admiral Woofington 3832
  4. Dedication Through Light 3494
  5. hosannainexcelsis 3440
  6. Narag 3209
  7. names2hard4you 3127
  8. cajunator 2681 permed
  9. TUSR 2431
  10. Jarmel 2326
  11. nintendoman58 2269
  12. AquaWateria 2142
  13. Line_HTX 2091
  14. Hellwarden 1901
  15. duckroll 1876
  16. phaze 1822
  17. Puruzi 1707
  18. Basileus777 1689
  19. Shard 1636
  20. firehawk12 1606
  21. NaDannMaGoGo 1602
  22. javac 1511
  23. Qurupeke 1493
  24. ibyea 1426
  25. SliceSabre 1289
  26. KenjiGlove 1275
  27. MikeHattsu 1273
  28. Jintor 1257
  29. Quasar 1246
  30. BGBW 1234
  31. pbayne 1162
  32. Ascheroth 1159
  33. blurr 1025
  34. wonzo 1013
  35. Russ T 1004
  36. Phatmac 1002
  37. Mailbox 935
  38. R_thanatos 913 won't come back in here
  39. JulianImp 879
  40. Theonik 847
  41. Haly 837
  42. Thoraxes 785
  43. CheapJuice 782
  44. kewlmyc 775
  45. Maximilian Kolbe 774
  46. Sölf 748
  47. PdotMichael 734
  48. effingvic 721
  49. Arcadius 708 permed
  50. ShinRPGamer 678
  51. striferser 654
  52. Jexhius 650
  53. Defuser 647
  54. John Blade 639
  55. Clov 632
  56. Angry Grimace 627
  57. Joe Molotov 606
  58. dimb 597
  59. phoenix296 581
  60. veloxStrix 576
  61. Squishy3 569
  62. Mature 556
  63. e_i 538
  64. Mandelbo 537
  65. Midonin 528
  66. ThatChairMan 527
  67. cosmicblizzard 499 permed??
  68. jbug617 495
  69. Sterok 491
  70. NCR Redslayer 477
  71. sonicmj1 471
  72. Envelope 457
  73. Moaradin 445
  74. jgminto 426
  75. KuwabaraTheMan 420

Woah, I remember when I posted here really frequently - I think I got into the top ten in one of the OTs last year.

Qurupeke

Seems like I missed the Kuma Miko ending discussion. I'm behind a few episodes, but I watched the last one and, yes, that was depressing. I don't think it was really "shocking" though, unfortunately, the show already had quite a few situations where Machi was harassed, physically and mentally. In other words, I don't really think it's that different from the source material, supposing the first few episodes weren't anime originals. That said, it was still bad, it essentially defeated the purpose of the show and it certainly was disservice to the character.

It's a shame, the series had potential to be funny, but the show was getting worse and worse in every episode and it had its fair share of unsettling scenes. I compared Kuma Miko and Flying Witch once, saying how much better the former was, but Kuma Miko managed to betray my expectations quickly and the ending just made it even worse. So I guess Flying Witch is a better show. I haven't caught up with both of these shows though, so it's not like I'm very fond of Flying Witch, either...

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Central Intelligence
That was fun movie. Dwayne Johnson as the Boke and Hart as his Tsukkomi partner was entertaining. The action scene was eh, but the comedy was hilarious. Seeing the rock play as an awkward/obnoxious super agent was really cool, while Hart play as the straight guy instead of the usual jokester.

ibyea

Banned
Saw you guys talking about Kuma Miko, I was wondering what the hell happened, read about it. Holy shit guys.

Eumi

Can someone summarise this bear thing that's got people riled uo? I want in on the bear thing but I don't wanna watch the bear thing.

Jintor

Yama no Susume s1

Just realised Crunchy got the rights back for a bit so I shotgunned it. This is what I originally signed up for Crunchy for now that I think about it, since they were playing 40 second ads before 2-minute episodes and that was pissing me the fuck off.

I was hoping I could watch without subs but since it's a two minute anime they speak a touch faster than I'd like and there's a lot of mountaineering vocab I don't understand :( :( :(

maybe after JLPT3 I'll come back to study these eps

light and fluffy and reminds me I want to go do a bit of walkabout before I head home.

jgminto

They would have flub the landing incredibly hard to make Kiznaiver a disappointment. A relatively weak ending shouldn't ruin an overly strong show.

Top Bottom