• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

Lupin III 1-3

Question for those familiar with this show: is there a marked improvement at some point and if so can I skip to those episodes without missing much? Goemon has yet to show up and Takahata/Miyazaki aren't involved until episode 8, so I'm happy to withhold judgement for a bit, but the show isn't doing much for me so far, outside a few moments. I am, however, glad to see that Lupin has always been home to beautifully drawn cars.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You can argue about which shounen breaks the mould, conventions, top of its class all day long but there's really no point. Mitsudomoe is the best shounen and that's that.

JulianImp

Nisekoi all over again.

Except everything gets wrapped up in a single season rather than being stretched to hell and back by (ab)using the most contrived plot devices imaginable. Kiznaiver was decent anime original character drama, while Nisekoi is the incomplete adaptation of a still ongoing series that's yet another harem comedy with lots of mood whiplash.

As for KumaMiko, I watched the first two episodes, but the creepy undertones from EP1 were really off-putting, and the overuse of cheap comedy gags didn't help either. I haven't read far back enough to know what actually happened in the final episodes besides that they were AOs that hugely betrayed the audience's expectations, but I'm kind of glad I decided to drop it early.

I tend to like it more when shows have a clear theme, such as knowing that Mushishi will mostly be calm, that Higurashi will always end in horror, that TTGL will do awesome things for the sake of it, or even that Hundred will keep abusing shounen battle academy tropes and TLR:D will use an excuse plot to have the MC unvoluntarily groping just about everyone around him (who conveniently happen to all be girls). KumaMiko was hell for me in that I didn't know if it was a gag collection, SoL (certainly didn't look like it) or a mess of implied underage bestiality, which made me nope out of it really quickly.

Other shows with sudden turning points such as Eva are still alright by me, but that mostly comes down to the execution and how interesting the parts are both by themselves and when considered as part of a single entity/theme. Making jokes about bear-on-little-girl action and the girl being pinned down by a guy with nothing but her underwear on, on the other hand...

Lupin III 1-3

Question for those familiar with this show: is there a marked improvement at some point and if so can I skip to those episodes without missing much? Goemon has yet to show up and Takahata/Miyazaki aren't involved until episode 8, so I'm happy to withhold judgement for a bit, but the show isn't doing much for me so far, outside a few moments. I am, however, glad to see that Lupin has always been home to beautifully drawn cars.

There's a marked change of tone after Miyazaki takes over, at least. I'm not particularly fond of Part I in general though.

JulianImp

This is DTL we're talking about, so take those recs with a grain of salt.

Lost Village started out looking like it was going to be some Silent Hill-esque horror experience, but most of us ended up underwhelmed by how the plot progressed, I wasn't too keen on Cerberus, and I've heard it isn't all that good, and Kabaneri appears to be better than AoT, but I thought it was still unfinished and was going to continue later.

As for self-contained seasonal shows, you've got Kiznaiver this season (AO), and the last one had Rakugo, and adaptation that still has a continuation on the works but was really good and ended its first season with a good resolution of its plot. You could also watch Flying Witch from this season since it's SoL, and I think Gundam: IBO was also decent and got wrapped up last season AFAIK.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
To love ru is secretly the best shounen of all time

6b6qdRv.jpg

Fruit Basket - 12

Yeh I'm dropping it here. It's a mediocrely written shoujo RomCom with good direction. Character development is kinda stunted. Yuki and Kyo for instance get heavily inspired by Tooru's kindness just about every episode, yet, nothing really changes in the grand scheme of things. And the conflict between the two is complete rubbish. This 'I wanna be better than Yuki and so I literally fight him', packaged up in physical comedy and lots of screaming, is a complete drag. I didn't mind the first bunch of episodes being like that but eventually I grew tired of this.

All this Zodiac business isn't particularly compelling in the long run either. Made for some good comedy but this notion that everyone of the damn family is lonely because the curse prevents them from getting close to others gets hella repetitive. It's basically just a cheap way to force most of the drama.

"Everyone is actually a great person but struggles largely due to external reasons." - meh

The only disappointing development that might happen is Chidori ending up alone.

;__;

They would have flub the landing incredibly hard to make Kiznaiver a disappointment. A relatively weak ending shouldn't ruin an overly strong show.

I feel like its either going to be very rushed or more likely have not much happening and just end with Katsuhira and Nori reconciling. They've wasted a lot of the last two episodes imo.

Speaking of Nisekoi I need to find a good Onodera avatar.

I need to go back to an anime avatar to make people outside of animegaf discount my opinions on things.

JulianImp

Speaking of Nisekoi I need to find a good Onodera avatar.

I need to go back to an anime avatar to make people outside of animegaf discount my opinions on things.

You should go all the way and get a magical girl Onodera one for maximum prejudice.

I remember randomly looking up a somewhat recent volume online and seeing the same old pattern where a confession was about to take place, only for Tachibana to get really sick and get carried offscreen by her assistant. The author should be fined for relying on the exact same plot device for so long...

Line_HTX

I really wish there was more American football anime like Eyeshield 21. There's too many association football.

At least that rugby one in the fall looks interesting, albeit goddamn they are fucking buff as hell.

Russ T

Banned
Kumamiko's ending still isn't 1/10th as awful as Kurenai's pro-child abuse anime original ending. That's still the most infuriating/offensive thing I've ever seen animated.

I remember liking Kurenai, but have a lot of trouble remembering what it's even about at all. Been feeling like maybe I should rewatch it, but the fact that I don't remember has made me second guess whether or not it was good.

...Maybe I just won't watch it then!!!

New Mob Psycho 100 CM showing off how amazing it looks.

The blurry shadow penumbras really turn me off, to be honest. Hopefully I'll get used to it, but it really doesn't fit the art style. THAT'S ONE STRIKE MOB PSYCHO 100. GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER.

John Blade

This entire episode made up all the bullshit I have to get through in the last episode.You literally see MC Kai been a bad ass for the 3/4 of the entire episode taking down the alien statute with some minor help when it's needed. Man...this is what is needed or else the whole fight scene is boring.

They might be a small connection between MC Kai and Sei after the fight as she want to take him out from the look of it. Also, the MC Kai have change his personality a bit and become more of Jouichirou even to the point they is a scene where you can see both character in the same shot which scare female Kai. It does look like they is some friendship bonding between female Kai and Masaru and would like to see if it will develop into something. I bet it does in the manga but wonder if they can develop anything based on how many episode is left in this season.

Also, the fight isn't finish yet as they is now more of this alien statute poping up near the end of this episode. Bet they will be more dead people till the game is done and would see if Masaru will step up and fight the enemies this time or will his attitude will make him not kill the alien. Getting very interesting now.

The blurry shadow penumbras really turn me off, to be honest. Hopefully I'll get used to it, but it really doesn't fit the art style. THAT'S ONE STRIKE MOB PSYCHO 100. GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER.

It could be worse. It could be the photoshop soft brush abomination that is Kids on the Slope.

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcists ep.12
5EvnRWY.jpg
WscaQIs.jpg

Pretty damn good episode again, with a good mix of comedy and action with some serious moments. They are doing a good job slowly integrating Benio's backstory into the mix as well. Oh and that new purple haired dude is a douche for sure!

I feel like somebody need to take out the stupid bubbly happy music and put in The Omen or something because that is disturbing and intelligence insulting.

OK that was legit creepy as in psychological horror, like Jack Nicholas
is so clearly mentally broken after repeated ECT at the end
in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

...If you want more details, see here.

Wait so in the ending Natsu
outright sabotages her by praying to the gods for her to fail
, I mean it was clear from the earlier episodes he didn't want her going to the city but for him to turn all Yoshio at the end is even worse.

Screw Kuma Miko, I have ep12 of Twin Star Exorcists to watch

phaze

I don't understand why people like Nisekoi. It's just going in circles endlessly.

It's been in the "all my waifus are now kaput" mode for like a year now actually.

Actually, how many more seasons of padding would the anime need to get to the point where ships begin sinking?

It's kinda impossible to tell cause second season has been skipping a lot of chapters. S1 covered ~50 episodes in 20 episodes, S2 ended on chapter 106. IIRC things started moving at chapter ~160 or so so one would need at least another season to get to that material.

Cornbread78

The Asterisk War- END
o0K2egC.jpg

Seriously, fu(k that ending. Pure bullshit LN ending where they carry on and introduce a bunch of new plot lines and characters, just to say “buy the LN!” Well, fu(k you and your $hitty LN. The battle was pretty cool this episode, but seriously, this is the most hideous jumble of plotlines forced together in a final episode to promote the LN that I have ever seen. Such a blow hard way to end the series. Like I said before, they should have just ended the show after ep. When then
Won the Festa
Oh well, I knew it was coming, but it was still garbage….

/rant

Ascheroth

The Asterisk War- END
Seriously, fu(k that ending. Pure bullshit LN ending where they carry on and introduce a bunch of new plot lines and characters, just to say “buy the LN!” Well, fu(k you and your $hitty LN. The battle was pretty cool this episode, but seriously, this is the most hideous jumble of plotlines forced together in a final episode to promote the LN that I have ever seen. Such a blow hard way to end the series. Like I said before, they should have just ended the show after ep. When then
Won the Festa
Oh well, I knew it was coming, but it was still garbage….

/rant

You should have stopped right after the tournament like I did.

Top Bottom