• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

Cornbread78

She really likes teenage stories and fantasy stuff, through her research on anime that she may enjoy she's come through all of the ones you mentioned and asked me about them. SAO is a big one on her list, I just didn't mention it here because I don't want people being mean about it (we know fully well how much people love SAO around here don't we).

I may actually do my Hyouka re-watch with her. I keep saying I want to do it and now more than ever I have the reason for it to happen.

LOL, yup. I'm still not sure why so many "casual" female viewers like SAO, they just happen to like it.

This genre is right up my alley, so you could go with

A Lull in the Sea
Looking Up At The Half-Moon
Little Busters
Kimikiss Pure Rouge
Usagi Drop
Aishiteruze Baby
Akagami no Shirayuki-hime
Akatsuki no Yona
Angel Beats!
Ano Natsu de Matteru
Barakamon
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
ef: A Tale of Memories
Itazura na Kiss
Jitsu wa Watashi wa
Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo
White Album 2
Usagi Drop
Toradora!
Kanon (2006)
Your Lie in April
Rec
Ore Monogatari!!
Spice and Wolf

John Blade

Man...what a downer this episode is. Quite a bit of the characters are death and the best girl, female Kei, is now death in this game. Also, MC Kei is dying now and with only few survivor left, this last battle will be very difficult to win now.

Have to say, Masaru weakness as a leader is now become a big issue to the point you kinda want him death more than the other people in the game. His friend is almost death and he can't realize how fuck he is till Sei literally force him of what to do next. I guess a retreat is the only choice but what they can do now.

A downer tone episode. Wonder if it will get worst as we're now the halfway mark of this season.

JulianImp

I suggest Kokoro Connect.

This. It's a great character drama that uses a similar premise to Kiznaiver.

I honestly want to talk about divisive shows such as SAO without going all the way into your favorite anime is shit territory, but it looks like Cornbread didn't even notice my post on the last page. Engaging in debates over subjective preferences is still a much more appealing activity than just doing drive-by posts about shows I happen to be watching and leaving things at that, since it could work more like a discussion and less like a blog.

Cornbread78

This. It's a great character drama that uses a similar premise to Kiznaiver.

I honestly want to talk about divisive shows such as SAO without going all the way into your favorite anime is shit territory, but it looks like Cornbread didn't even notice my post on the last page. Engaging in debates over subjective preferences is still a much more appealing activity than just doing drive-by posts about shows I happen to be watching and leaving things at that, since it could work more like a discussion and less like a blog.

Yeah, sorry I missed that earlier, but yeah. It actually worked earlier with MHA and that type of constructive discussion is very helpful/informative and much more conducive to quality conversation on a specific show that is a lightning rod of attention/opinion.

With SAO, I really think we should do it in a separate thread like a Special "Let's Watch, just for it and compare, contrast and get "casual" viewer input. I think it would be a pretty cool experiment as long as everyone avoid the urge to completely $hitpost the experience from others...

Cornbread78

Watch Uchouten Kazoku with her.

Every time I think of that show, I just remember how hard I broke down laughing at: That face is just too damn funny.

uy2nmfp.jpg

Kabaneri Episode 11

Really everything could have been avoided if
Shogun hadnt let them in, it was already determined that Bilba was not to be trust, so why, not only let the train in, but also invite him into the chamber...Sure it may not have stopped the invoming onslaught but it would have enabled them to have gotten forced to do a play B, C, or even D

lonely

Gundam the Origin III

While the CG is still questionable (the scene with poor Lino getting blown up in the tank was particularly eyebrow-raising), otherwise this continues to be a strong production. The character animation remains excellent, if highly theatrical. Char's faces throughout were amazing. This really captured the charisma that is part of the Char mystique. The way he disarms everyone around him with a single look is pretty thrilling. It's also amusing to learn that the real Char was just an average guy who just had the misfortune of looking exactly like one highly determined man. You really don't want to come near Casval/Char if you can help it.

With the post-ED scene introducing a 13-year old Amuro, I'm wondering how far Sunrise will take this adaptation.

I watched this at the weekend as well while I was going through some stuff I had bought. And I have to agree with how the story is presented but it really comes into it's own here and Yasuhiko's directorial style is at it's best. I know the production has an OVA budget and appropriate planning with its protracted release schedule but the minute to minute character animation in all of The Origin films is just the best I've seen in anime and bring the whole production together. The shot at the beginning where Kycillia's face bursts through the flames is just fantastic. I'd like to see some of his older works especially with Discotek releasing some of them but living in the UK it's a bit difficult.

John Blade

Man....that is depressing to watch. Almost all of the people is death and only the MC Kai is alive at the end and all of this for 8 points when he finish the battle. That suck...... At least we got to see Masaru manage to man up and fight at the end.

I think I need to pause watching this show as this ending is making me depress a bit.

LOL, yup. I'm still not sure why so many "casual" female viewers like SAO, they just happen to like it.

This genre is right up my alley, so you could go with

A Lull in the Sea
Looking Up At The Half-Moon
Little Busters
Kimikiss Pure Rouge
Usagi Drop
Aishiteruze Baby
Akagami no Shirayuki-hime
Akatsuki no Yona
Angel Beats!
Ano Natsu de Matteru
Barakamon
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
ef: A Tale of Memories
Itazura na Kiss
Jitsu wa Watashi wa
Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo
White Album 2
Usagi Drop
Toradora!
Kanon (2006)
Your Lie in April
Rec
Ore Monogatari!!
Spice and Wolf

I miss Kawaisou, one of fhana's best songs, and also, one of the best remixes with galieo galilei.

Wanderer5

Hm Saturday or Sunday for AX. I only going to go for one day and Sunday has a Berserk and Mob Pyscho 100 panel, so I probably go on that day.

John Blade

Man...I lied...I need to finish the god damn show now. Also, what a twist at the end of this episode when you found out who is the next enemies they need to kill in the game. Also, more people come in the game and two of them are someone who kill the homeless person. Would be interesting to see where MC Kei will do with them. Either way, going to be crazy of how the game did a twist at the end.

sonicmj1

Concrete Revolutio

Sho Aikawa almost kept his parallel world obsession in check for a full series, but he couldn't help himself.

Even if it didn't stick the landing as cleanly as I would have liked, this hugely ambitious series still ended on a pretty damn strong note. It mixes a lot of metaphors in its efforts at political commentary (US/Japan tensions, environmental concerns, student protests, communism, past tradition vs. modernism), but it also manages to juggle a number of satisfying character arcs among its massive and diverse cast. And dammit, all the way through up to the end, it's trying to be something relevant, to confront the eternal dispiriting struggle to change the world that every generation in history faces and find an optimistic message on the other end. In that, it mostly succeeds. I give it a lot of credit for that.

It's interesting to see a Japanese work try to use the country's pop culture to recontextualize its own history. Watching the show exposed me to a lot of elements of 60s and 70s Japanese culture that I probably wouldn't have stumbled across otherwise, and its focus on politics and historical events gives its tales of giant robots and supernatural creatures a very different vibe than anything else I've really seen. I'm very glad I picked it up and stuck through it.

JulianImp

Yeah, sorry I missed that earlier, but yeah. It actually worked earlier with MHA and that type of constructive discussion is very helpful/informative and much more conducive to quality conversation on a specific show that is a lightning rod of attention/opinion.

With SAO, I really think we should do it in a separate thread like a Special "Let's Watch, just for it and compare, contrast and get "casual" viewer input. I think it would be a pretty cool experiment as long as everyone avoid the urge to completely $hitpost the experience from others...

Yeah, I feel like more level-headed discussion is what this thread needs to be more welcoming for outsiders. A place where you can say you enjoyed a show and avoid getting called names because of it is less likely to scare people away, all while the whole joke slogan of "your favorite anime is trash", which does represent this thread quite well at times, is as toxic as it can get for a community thread for all things anime.

Shirobako 1

What I learned today:

- Production assistants regularly get into street races in the middle of Tokyo.
- Women with large breasts have special difficulty working as animators.
- Fire Tarou.

Again thanks for all the suggestions guys. It's rather refreshing being with someone that takes a bit of interest in this medium. I don't go out there publicizing to the world that I watch anime, but it's something that I do I'll share with others if asked. In this case I just never expected the other person to legitimately give it a shot. Guess I got lucky with her :p

Anyone here have a similar situation? SO or even a friend or family member that took interest in anime because it's something you enjoy?

lonely

Again thanks for all the suggestions guys. It's rather refreshing being with someone that takes a bit of interest in this medium. I don't go out there publicizing to the world that I watch anime, but it's something that I do I'll share with others if asked. In this case I just never expected the other person to legitimately give it a shot. Guess I got lucky with her :p

Anyone here have a similar situation? SO or even a friend or family member that took interest in anime because it's something you enjoy?

My girlfriend hates anime and regularly ridicules because I like it. She refuses to even try and understand why I like it. Which is absurd because she is Korean and grew up watching a lot of anime series herself! So count yourself lucky I guess.

John Blade

If someone I know want to watch anime for the 1st time, I will most likely point them to one which is easy to watch and won't be the typical anime wacky as you don't know how much will they handle it. For me, if one of co-worker want to watch some type of a romance anime, I won't recommend any anime that have too much anime tropes. I will most likely show one which isn't hard to watch, a good story development, and very limited anime tropes like Emma A Victorian Romance for example.

Till I know more of what they taste like, you don't want to recommend an anime like Zero no Tsukaima or Toradora! unless they like those stuff. If they do, then push those out to them.

My girlfriend hates anime and regularly ridicules because I like it. She refuses to even try and understand why I like it. Which is absurd because she is Korean and grew up watching a lot of anime series herself! So count yourself lucky I guess.

Well damn. I've dated other girls and they knew about it but just didn't care. I've never been ridiculed for enjoying anime by any of them. What's her view on games if you don't mind me asking?

If someone I know want to watch anime for the 1st time, I will most likely point them to one which is easy to watch and won't be the typical anime wacky as you don't know how much will they handle it. For me, if one of co-worker want to watch some type of a romance anime, I won't recommend any anime that have too much anime tropes. I will most likely show one which isn't hard to watch, a good story development, and very limited anime tropes like Emma A Victorian Romance for example.

Till I know more of what they taste like, you don't want to recommend an anime like Zero no Tsukaima or Toradora! unless they like those stuff. If they do, then push those out to them.

I actually agree with this. If I had told her to watch something else, she may not have enjoyed it enough, or she would find it too weird (in some cases even disgusting/creepy). So yes, in a way it falls on you as the one being asked for anime advice to give out good recommendations

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kanbaneri of the Iron Fortress Episode 11:

Pretty much just a set up episode for the grand finale and good lord it can't be mentioned enough with just how stupid everybody is in this show.

Why would the ultra paranoid shogun who kills someone on a whim because he knows something that might be disadvantageous and has everyone who arrives in the town be locked up for three days regardless of condition even entertain any of Biba's ideas? Oh wait, its because the story wouldn't progress if he didn't have a massive lapse in judgment.

He even says he knows its a trap and then falls right into it. Good job moron.

lonely

Well damn. I've dated other girls and they knew about it but just didn't care. I've never been ridiculed for enjoying anime by any of them. What's her view on games if you don't mind me asking?

Well because of where she is from she is very familiar with the stigma of being an otaku. She doesn't mind me playing games that involve shooting but anything from Japan or featuring anime girls is a "girl game" to her. She also doesn't appreciate when I play as D.VA in Overwatch. She used to play a lot of games when she was younger and every so often I'll hear about how she used to love Blizzard games or about her time with Maple Story. I can get away with playing what I want at the minute though while she is back in Korea before the new school term starts. But it would be a big problem if she absolutely hated video games considering I'm studying to enter the industry and have already done QA on last years awful F1 game.

Eumi

As I'm continuing to work through Tanaka, can I just say this show easily has my favourite ed and op this season. It's really weird how simple they are but they're just perfect for the tone of the show.

Top Bottom