• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

blurr

That also reminds me, I also think MHA began airing on the right time: when we're fatigued/obsessing with super heroes. MHA showed that super heroes aren't some silver screen dream, you can be one too except that you can be a super hero in simply doing something good whether it is a step in self improvement or for the society. The second episode has All Might saying that the most important quality a top hero has is their selflessness/showing no hesitation for doing what is right. This was also the point at which I became really impressed with the show.

Russ T

Banned
That also reminds me, I also think MHA also began airing on the right time: when we're fatigued/obsessing with super heroes. MHA showed that super heroes aren't some silver screen dream, you can be one too except that you can be a super hero in simply doing something good whether it is a step in self improvement or for the society. The second episode has All Might saying that the most important quality a top hero has is their selflessness/showing no hesitation for doing what is right. This was also the point at which I became really impressed with the show.

Preach it, friend!

Defuser

I just felt MHA is just too slow and draggy. What they done in 1 cour can be actually done in half or 3/4. Not to mention they played on Deku's cowardice/hesitance too many times like he never learned at all despite showing bravery fighting spirit.

Line_HTX

That also reminds me, I also think MHA also began airing on the right time: when we're fatigued/obsessing with super heroes. MHA showed that super heroes aren't some silver screen dream, you can be one too except that you can be a super hero in simply doing something good whether it is a step in self improvement or for the society. The second episode has All Might saying that the most important quality a top hero has is their selflessness/showing no hesitation for doing what is right. This was also the point at which I became really impressed with the show.

Oh yeah, definitely. All Might is inspirational in that moment. Definitely solidified him as greatness personified. Too bad he wasn't around more. It goes back to the slow pace and more of a support cast that's sorely needed.

Sölf

I'm usually not fond of manga but I dare say the Prison School manga is way better than this adaptation. It contains proper grossness, hilarity and eroticism, whereas the anime is fairly lacking in the latter, imo. The art is also god tier and the anime falls fairly flat in that regard. I mean, sure, there's some nice stills but stills don't really take advantage of all that animation aspect, you know. Animation feels really week in general.

Voice acting is good but that's pretty much all that speaks in the anime's favor for me.

I may switch later, but I just don't read many manga in general, I simply prefer anime. Will watch that for now and maybe switch later. The anime also has one of thos god tier OPs.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I just felt MHA is just too slow and draggy. What they done in 1 cour can be actually done in half or 3/4. Not to mention they played on Deku's cowardice/hesitance too many times like he never learned at all despite showing bravery fighting spirit.
This pretty much.

Russ T

Banned
I don't fault people for not being down with the pacing, but to be frank, if you want fast-paced shounen action manga, they exist all over the place. Part of why I like MHA is because they take the time to do things right, rather than rush through to the cool shit ASAP. It's immensely refreshing to see something different.

Line_HTX

It's not that I want a rushed fast pace, it's just they should've picked things up a little faster than they did.

It's not really that different.

blurr

I generally like shows that try to tackle realistic problems (relationships, internal conflicts etc.) and try to provide a good perspective of them. MHA does a resounding job at tackling personal struggle and even motivates us. So far it has been consistent in delivering that.

Line_HTX

I generally like shows that try to tackle realistic problems (relationships, internal conflicts etc.) and try to provide a good perspective of them. MHA does a resounding job at tackling personal struggle and even motivates us. So far it has been consistent in delivering that.

I can see that, and on that aspect, I'm OK with that. Good shit on addressing the struggle.

Just stop crying please. ;)

'Good Pacing' is so damn loaded, reading the MHA debate and those that have flared up over Re:Zero it's clearly as utterly subjective as 'nice designs' or 'best waifu/husbando'. I mean I liked the pace of Re:Zero and felt that going any faster or cutting any of the arc at the mansion would have hurt the character development that is the key to that arc but for others it was like nails on a chalkboard. Perhaps MHA as a hero shounen is suffering from the same expectations that Re:Zero carries as an isekoi (that's the one that mean 'woke up in a game/fantasy setting' right?) i.e. that it should de facto be a faster paced kind of show?

Hmmm the basic outline didn't interest me w/MHA but the amount of debate is starting to make me curious, I'll wait until the end and binge which should alleviate some of the pacing issues.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I don't fault people for not being down with the pacing, but to be frank, if you want fast-paced shounen action manga, they exist all over the place. Part of why I like MHA is because they take the time to do things right, rather than rush through to the cool shit ASAP. It's immensely refreshing to see something different.

But the manga itself is fast. It's fast as fuck. It's actually a nice breeze compared to stuffy shounens out there.

Cornbread78

Kiritobread, what is this?
>:T
:T

LOL, a couple posts later I clarified.

Just typical shit talking. Don't worry, when it comes to AOTY, I will protect everyone.

LOL, no $hit talking... Why would I $hit talk a show that not even in my top 3 for THAT season, never mind the entire year...

I actually appreciate the detailed responses given, which is much, MUCH better then the normal rhetoric seen about the show, without the straight $hit posting blasting the show.

For that AnimeGAF, Thank you!

Yeah, I have no idea why I have been drawn to those kinds of shows because I have spent 0% of my life up to this past year giving a fu(k about any of that.... And now Clannad is my fav... uuggh

Russ T

Banned
But the manga itself is fast. It's fast as fuck. It's actually a nice breeze compared to stuffy shounens out there.

You might be right; it's been a while since I read it. I do remember it feeling slow, and appreciating that, as I like it when things move at their own pace. Buuuut admittedly I don't read a lot of shounen action anymore. Besides MHA and OP, in fact, I don't think I read any! (Ironically, given what I said, OP was also moving very very slowly at the time I started reading MHA, so what do I even know?!?!)

Either way, I should've said anime, as that's what I was actually talking about. :p

'Good Pacing' is so damn loaded, reading the MHA debate and those that have flared up over Re:Zero it's clearly as utterly subjective as 'nice designs' or 'best waifu/husbando'. I mean I liked the pace of Re:Zero and felt that going any faster or cutting any of the arc at the mansion would have hurt the character development that is the key to that arc but for others it was like nails on a chalkboard. Perhaps MHA as a hero shounen is suffering from the same expectations that Re:Zero carries as an isekoi (that's the one that mean 'woke up in a game/fantasy setting' right?) i.e. that it should de facto be a faster paced kind of show?

Hmmm the basic outline didn't interest me w/MHA but the amount of debate is starting to make me curious, I'll wait until the end and binge which should alleviate some of the pacing issues.

Yeah, for what it's worth (if you're even talking about me at all), I did not intend to say that MHA has better pacing than its peers. Just that it's a pacing that I, personally, appreciate. In large part, honestly, because it's different, but still manages to do it well! I like when a shounen action series does things differently, no matter what that difference is. It makes it stand out, it makes it more interesting. Bring it on!

But that's also exactly why I can empathize with people who DON'T like the pacing. It is different from the norm! If you're going into MHA wanting the norm, it's okay to be disappointed. Everybody got their own 'pinions, eh.

Also hey at least "is it good pacing" is a better discussion than the inherently creepy "waifu" shit!

Also also I've never heard "isekoi" in reference to that specific genre, but I sure would like an easy term to refer to it in the future. Typing out "trapped in a fantasy world" every time gets tiring af lol.

Line_HTX

LOL, no $hit talking... Why would I $hit talk a show that not even in my top 3 for THAT season, never mind the entire year...

I actually appreciate the detailed responses given, which is much, MUCH better then the normal rhetoric seen about the show, without the straight $hit posting blasting the show.

For that AnimeGAF, Thank you!

Yeah, I have no idea why I have been drawn to those kinds of shows because I have spent 0% of my life up to this past year giving a fu(k about any of that.... And now Clannad is my fav... uuggh

Well, you are a Pile of poo, just like your favorite team!!

OH-HOHOHO~

I don't mind a slow pace, but there's a world of difference between a slow pace that's created through mere padding via flashbacks/recaps, repetition, endless inner monologue, reaction shots, and the like, and a slow pace that's created through the creation of a strong atmosphere. I can't comment specifically on the My Hero Academia anime since I haven't seen most of it, but it's the difference between how the Hunter X Hunter 1999 anime handled the Hunter Exam arc (good) and how its first OVA handled the end of the Yorkshin arc (bad).

At any rate, I don't know if it's accurate to call slow pacing in a battle shounen anime adaptation unique when the most popular example of one, One Piece, suffers from infamously slow pacing.

Cornbread78

Well, you are a Pile of poo, just like your favorite team!!

OH-HOHOHO~

Wait, you're a Texan's fan saying this?...

qtxN93O.gif

Russ T

Banned
I don't mind a slow pace, but there's a world of difference between a slow pace that's created through mere padding via flashbacks/recaps, repetition, endless inner monologue, reaction shots, and the like, and a slow pace that's created through the creation of a strong atmosphere. I can't comment specifically on the My Hero Academia anime since I haven't seen most of it, but it's the difference between how the Hunter X Hunter 1999 anime handled the Hunter Exam arc (good) and how its first OVA handled the end of the Yorkshin arc (bad).

At any rate, I don't know if it's accurate to call slow pacing in a battle shounen anime adaptation unique when the most popular example of one, One Piece, suffers from infamously slow pacing.

Yeah I further clarified (I think) what I meant in my next post.

At any rate, the "slow pacing" people complain about in MHA is not the same kind of "slow pacing" people would/should complain about in OP. MHA is slow (although really, honestly, not THAT slow, people seriously blow this out of proportion), but it's still full of meaningful content, rather than padded out to the extreme just to make it last longer.

JulianImp

Other than the huge pacing issues, I'd actually, really like to read a full breakdown on why it is disliked so much by some so much in here. One of those big Firehawk/Jarmel breakdowns that outline all the underlying problems..

I always read those to gain perspective on why people dislike something, even though I might not share the same view.

All I hear on MHA is that "it's $hit" and the pacing is bad. Are there any posts been put up recently that breakdown the issues with the show in detail?

Actually, would you be interested in talking about what we liked/didn't like about SAO, either in here or through PMs, for example? I don't expect anyone to be swayed, but it could be an interesting experiment to at least see an argument about the good points of some show where I see more bad than good.

John Blade

Good fight with quite a bit tension. The smaller alien statues isn't really deadly as I except. They're quite a few of them in the battle but was take down too easily by one guy who basically snipe them to death from the top of the building. The big fight actually is a big fight with the big Buddha statute which you see isn't as easy to kill because of its size. Most of the episode is basically the MC team trying to take it down. Almost kill four of the people in the team but they manage to survive from the crush by their suit. Also, for the 1st time we got to see the stalker girl face, Sadayo, who stalk Masanobu. A nice looking girl I have to say and it look like Masanobu might like her now he saw her face.

Unfortunately, two more character die in this battle. One is the fat weapon nut who got his head rip from the buddha when it eat him alive. The other is the dog. I feel more sorry for the dog as you want it to survive this entire battle.

The development of the MC Kei and Sei character between them look stronger. It look like Sei is starting to like MC Kei and want to be with him and this bonding grow after this battle when you see her hug him.

Also, this event also make female Kei and Masaru to bond even more when they both hold hand for the 1st time. I guess now female Kei realize she is now with Masaru and want it to grow.

Overall, a fun action pack episode. Love to see MC Kei take down the alien once more in a very epic fight. Kinda wonder how much more this will go as they're not done this fight yet.

Clov

What I find interesting is Funimation getting the new Love Live. Is it streaming rights only, or are they going to handle the home media release as well? I'm hoping NISA grabs the home video rights again, if only because I want to keep seeing them release titles.

Russ T

Banned
I thought this new D.Gray-man was gonna start from the beginning, but the summary on Funi's page makes it sound like it's a sequel?

I was hoping it'd start from the beginning because the original anime sucks ass and I couldn't do it, so I wanted to give it another shot.

I thought this new D.Gray-man was gonna start from the beginning, but the summary on Funi's page makes it sound like it's a sequel?

I was hoping it'd start from the beginning because the original anime sucks ass and I couldn't do it, so I wanted to give it another shot.

It is picking up in the story from where the original anime left off.

Cornbread78

Got owned how?

Obviously, it comes down to personal interests, but from the below list with the Crunchyroll releases, it appears they have the much better line-up leading into the summer.

Crunchy:
Sweetness and Lightning
Mob Psycho 100
91 Days
ReLIFE
Alderamin on the Sky
Taboo Tattoo
Orange
Berserk

vs:

Funi:
D-Gray Man
Servamp
Tales of Zestiria the X
Dangonronpa3
Love Live Sunshine
Hatsukoi Monster
Handa-kun
Tsukiuta
Scared Rider X
Regalia: The Three Stars

There are still some unannounced stuff out there than can go either way, but from the initial announcements, Crunchy has the better offering.

Crunchy got a lot of the high profile stuff. Mob Psycho 100 being the big one.

I hope 91 Days turns out alright. The people behind it have some experience under their belt, but not much.

Cornbread78

Still waiting for word on (new stuff):

ReWrite
Planetarian
Battery (Amazon)
New Game
Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru!
Amanchu!
Onara Gorou (this one could REALLY change the balance of power)
Ozmafia!!
Ange Vierge
Masou Gakuen HxH

Any of these get announced and I missed it from their lists? Is Amazon/Netflix/Hulu going to nab any of these again?

Crunchy got a lot of the high profile stuff. Mob Psycho 100 being the big one.

I hope 91 Days turns out alright. The people behind it have some experience under their belt, but not much.

I don't know why you would say that. Hiro Kaburaki has been working in the industry since 2002 and directing full series since 2009, Taku Kishimoto has been working in the industry since 2011 and written 8 full series since then (though this is his first fully-original anime), and Tomohiro Kishi has been animating since 2005 and was previously character designer for My Little Monster in 2012. This isn't a team of newbies.

Still waiting for word on (new stuff):

ReWrite
Planetarian
Battery
New Game
Qualidea Code
Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru!
Amanchu!
Onara Gorou (this one could REALLY change the balance of power)
Ozmafia!!
Ange Vierge
Masou Gakuen HxH

Any of these get announced and I missed it from their lists? Is Amazon/Netflix/Hulu going to nab any of these again?

Qualidea Code is CR https://twitter.com/WTK/status/745831346874941440

Cornbread78

Thanks.

Basically for now, expect anime that are on Noitamina to be on amazon.

I keep forgetting about that agreement...

See BGBW, we're doing half the work for you, now we just need days/times for the simulcast, lol.

Oh my....

Just trying to have a little bit of harmless fun. It's always better when everyone can have fun together, right? right?!

Top Bottom