• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Shirobako 1

What I learned today:

- Production assistants regularly get into street races in the middle of Tokyo.
- Women with large breasts have special difficulty working as animators.
- Fire Tarou.

I'm SHOCKED you're only starting it just now.

Qurupeke

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress 11

-What exactly was Kurusu doing on a random beach, while he's obviously in a hurry?
-Shogun was really a big idiot.
-Takumi's actually dead. I didn't expect that. RIP
-Cyborg Zombie Ikoma is so 90s.
-Biba torture! *explosion*

Grexeno

ClqnbiFVEAAaw2U.jpg:large

Part 4 dub?
They haven't even dubbed Part 3 yet.

Well because of where she is from she is very familiar with the stigma of being an otaku. She doesn't mind me playing games that involve shooting but anything from Japan or featuring anime girls is a "girl game" to her. She also doesn't appreciate when I play as D.VA in Overwatch. She used to play a lot of games when she was younger and every so often I'll hear about how she used to love Blizzard games or about her time with Maple Story. I can get away with playing what I want at the minute though while she is back in Korea before the new school term starts. But it would be a big problem if she absolutely hated video games considering I'm studying to enter the industry and have already done QA on last years awful F1 game.

Man that's a shame. I mean it's fine not liking something, but the way it seems to me is that she just cannot see you doing anything that has to do with anime around her. Hopefully she'll come around eventually, specially if you have gaming as a career prospect.

Man these Kabaneri impressions give me life
...life that will be taken away from me when I watch it.

Line_HTX

Man that's a shame. I mean it's fine not liking something, but the way it seems to me is that she just cannot see you doing anything that has to do with anime around her. Hopefully she'll come around eventually, specially if you have gaming as a career prospect.

Man these Kabaneri impressions give me life
...life that will be taken away from me when I watch it.

And will be taken away again during the Knockout Stage, heh heh heh

And will be taken away again during the Knockout Stage, heh heh heh

I cannot wait for the finale I swear. If we get something along the lines of
Ikoma becoming humanity's saviour, giving up his life for the cause, and then us getting a shot of Mumei eating a bowl of rice reminiscing about him staring at the horizon with a setting sun...
now THAT would be truest, purest and trashiest ending ever. It has to happen.

But before that, I'll have to watch today's episode and truly evaluate at which level of corniness the show will go.

John Blade

Argh.....this Grantz show is making me depress and piss at the same time. The last fight wear me off a bit and don't understand why the alien didn't kill Kei when it have the chance. It's stupid as you don't see the alien have any sympathy when it kill everyone.

Also, since when Grantz have the power to kill someone in the team? Aren't the rule of the game is to kill aliens and when you're done, you get point from it if you can survive? I don't mind the twist and would go finish this last battle but it's kinda break the rule of the game a bit. Yea, they did show MC Kei got piss and point the gun at Gtanz and press the trigger but it didn't kill him.

Either way, kinda salty a bit but will most likely going to finish this show as it need to get done so I don't hold it any longer now.

Now, consider to watch Clannad is getting harder as I kinda need some mindless anime show to watch over this stuff right now.

Jarmel

Banned
So my problem with the My Hero Academia anime boils down to a number of points.
CihFD2J.jpg

I have to see this again in the same episode? Really?
1. The pacing of the anime is slow as fuck. The early chapters aren't particularly interesting and are largely setting up the characters and world in a fairly straightforward manner. The anime takes an approach where they adapt roughly 1.5 chapters per episode barring the first two episodes that split up the long pilot chapter. This means there is a focus on the boring chapters where not much happens and so results in a boring work for a good portion of it. Another shounen manga had a somewhat slow anime adaptation, Hunter x Hunter, however there are a few distinct differences. The first is that the 2011 anime is still faster than MHA. The first 21 episodes of Hunter x Hunter cover 38 chapters breaking down to a rate of close to 1.8 chapters per episode. Now numbers like that are somewhat insignificant but the Hunter x Hunter does go through the material a bit quicker. The other difference, and this is much more significant, is that the manga goes into the Hunter Exams fairly quickly and so there's less of a slog through the early periods. The Hunter Exams also have a variety of settings so each new Day feels as if it's own mini arc. My Hero Academia really gets going with the USJ arc and the anime doesn't enter that until episode 10.

The manner in which the MHA anime stretches out the material also comes across as forced and artificial due to the repeated use of flashbacks that hamper the pacing inside individual episodes. For example there might be a flashback to something that happened earlier in the same episode. This obviously can't be for reasons such as the audience has forgotten a plot point and need a refresher, but instead it's purely a delay tactic. This makes material that already feels stretched thin, even more so.
Another point I would like to bring up in regards to the pacing is that due to the slow nature of the show, irritating aspects of the characters are highlighted as a result such as the focus on Deku's fear or Baku's generally being a sociopath. When a work doesn't dwell too much on an element, it's much easier to forgive the irritating aspects of it. One of the strengths of the manga is the quick pacing and Nagasaki turned that into a weakness for the anime. The manga has no qualms about skipping over unnecessary events or burning through things to get to an end point, the tournament being a perfect example.

Now someone might try and point out that it's just due to the source material being garbage or whatever, however in the manga format a few quick chapters to establish the characters and settings are fine because you're getting new material each week that you could read through in the span of a few minutes. I think that's acceptable when you're establishing the characters and settings. Even in a marathon format it doesn't take that long to get through the early chapters. The anime is a result of what happens when you stretch 10 minutes of reading material into 22 minutes. Not to mention Nagasaki isn't even adding new material that might flesh out the character relationships. That's partially why I actually liked the training episode between Deku and All Might as that felt like a natural way of extending the material while adding more depth to their relationship. Unfortunately the anime doesn't really do that again and just slavishly follows the manga while grinding everything to a halt in the process.
2. The background art is mediocre at best. There's been zero times in any of the episodes where I've been impressed with the background art. The art direction in general is pretty flat with little inspiration. This is due to a number of reasons but it's lacking good color choices, high levels of detail, and quality lighting work. The lighting in the anime in particular is particularly bad. The USJ arc is a primary offender of this in that everything is always on full blast. There's little sense of dynamic lighting as seen in the recent USJ arc where everything lighting-wise is just at full blast all the time. That's something that isn't a problem in the manga where dynamic lighting is less of an issue due to the black-white coloring. In the anime however, it's much more noticeable about the lack of light staging.
XmWF5ea.png

Something I liked in the manga was that the flashbacks, to Baku as a kid, artistically looked straight out of Calvin and Hobbes. The anime childhood flashbacks lose all of that flavor.
3.The character animation is pretty lifeless despite the good character designs and Umakoshi work. While during the initial couple of episodes you could see the Umakoshi's effect on the animation such as on the hands, this aspect dropped resulting in a work where the animation is boring. There's a few examples where the animation comes to life such as Deku punching the robot or All Might being All Might but those are very much the exception rather than the rule. Iida running for the gate in the USJ arc should have had some great animation but instead it's virtually nonexistent. This is really damning for an action series where motion and fight animation/choreography is extremely important. To put this into perspective, Hundred a work by Production IMS, had on average better fight animation. Production IMS.
ZtVi3kP.jpg

Manga
SvrXQSD.png

Anime
Another strength of the MHA manga is how insanely good the character art can be. Shigaraki's introduction in the manga looks like something out of a completely different genre yet in the anime looks similar to everything else. Those intense moments in the manga give it a certain flair you rarely see in other weekly manga. Shigaraki's introduction in the manga feeling like it came out of a horror manga highlighted how serious and scary the situation is. The anime carried none of that charm.

They needed the webgen animators that worked on OPM on this. That way I could at least gawk at the character animation despite the bad background art.
eW9rHfT.png

What a bland intro.
4.The general direction is varies between passable and bad. There's a number of aspects to this that range from the lighting/visuals to decisions such as focusing on Baku. Baku is a sociopath in both the manga and anime however the VA makes him even more irritating than just reading him off a page. It's a similar issue with Deku in that the VAs are making the characters more insufferable than they would be in comic format. In Baku's case I suppose you could make the argument that the VA is just being too good at his job as Baku is supposed to be annoying. However that's much less defensible in Deku's case where I don't think the animation has done a good job of highlighting the serious or analytical side of Deku at all. Some of this can be chalked up to how mediocre the character animation is but it's also the overall direction. The layouts are largely just garbage.
PtNsOlr.jpg
PKbvaji.png

The closeup in the manga is infinitely more scary due to the focus on the hand reaching towards Aikawa, how roughed up the Noumu looks, the shading, and the dark in the background.
There's also individual scenes where I thought the direction was especially egregious such as when Eraserhead is getting his face smashed in and the anime looks at the sky instead of focusing on the brutality of the scene. That would have been a perfect moment highlighting the intensity and seriousness of the situation but instead glosses over it.

There's none of the flair that GBF had such as using alternative art for select scenes such as Renji explaining things.
xT4yowR.png

Where's those varying thick lines (besides on All Might)? Where?
5. Hayashi is recycling his GBF work. It's the type of recycling I would expect from Sawano. He's also recycling his Haikyuu work in Kiznaiver but he's adding a lot of really high quality pieces there too so it feels a bit newer and fresher.
Now all of that said, it's not the worst thing airing. It's also not as if the staff can't come back and make a better season two however there's such a lifelessness to the work where it feels as if the staff is doing the bare minimum possible that it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. That pacing though is such a punch to the balls that it sucks out a lot of the fun in the manga by making things take forever to get going. I hope Nagasaki is put onto the rack regarding the MHA anime feedback and makes a lot of adjustments going forward.
But good lord guys, that All Might scene last week. More of that please.

Trainwreck of the Braindead - 11

"i know you're up to sth."
"pls do this thing I tell you then"
"k"

Also had a hearty laugh at the haircut scene.

Russ T

Banned
It's funny that aside from the art comparisons (which I agree with, but then again it's so very very rare for animated content to do justice to detailed manga drawings) all of the things you hate are the things that make it good. Especially the pacing, which is great in the anime!

Grexeno

My Hero Academia is an anime where basically all of the flaws are adaptation induced. They gave it to what looked like a dream team on paper, but I guess the dream team decided that with such a hit property they could put in their C+/B- work. Feels like they identified the three or four scenes they absolutely had to nail and phoned in everything else.

It might have turned out better with a studio that was actually excited to do it.

I could overlook a lot of the other problems with My Hero Academia if the characters were better. But none of the young people are compelling, instead they range from various degrees of irritating and dull and it just kills any potential the show has. The character designs don't help with this either.

It's funny that aside from the art comparisons (which I agree with, but then again it's so very very rare for animated content to do justice to detailed manga drawings) all of the things you hate are the things that make it good. Especially the pacing, which is great in the anime!

Yeah, unless manga art was shit in the first place, anime is always going to look like shit by comparison. It's just a result of the difference between mediums, such as the need to make smooth transitions between frames for good animation easier, and the fact that they need to chug out an enormous amount of drawings to make an episode, so corners are cut. Plus most animators are probably going to be less talented at drawing than the manga artist anyways

"The anime is actually good because the derivative output from the talented staff, lack of good art and pacing akin to One Piece's anime all help it shine."

?????????

Yeah, unless manga art was shit in the first place, anime is always going to look like shit by comparison. It's just a result of the difference between mediums, such as the need to make smooth transitions between frames for good animation easier, and the fact that they need to chug out an enormous amount of drawings to make an episode, so corners are cut. Plus most animators are probably going to be less talented at drawing than the manga artist anyways

JoJo is this season tho...how can you say that

"The anime is actually good because the derivative output from the talented staff, lack of good art and pacing akin to One Piece's anime all help it shine."

?????????

JoJo is this season tho...how can you say that
I personally don't think Araki is a particularly amazing artist in the first place though

Moaradin

I just don't get most of the complaints for MHA. The art has been pretty good for the most part. All the big moments were handled great and the show looks decent enough for everything else. The soundtrack is also fucking great and doesn't get nearly enough credit. It is constantly on point and elevates every scene. It's easily the best soundtrack this season.

The pacing also doesn't bother me but I can see why someone wouldn't like it. It doesn't help that this part of the manga is mostly introductions and it doesn't really kick off for real until the end of the season.

Jarmel

Banned

Problem with that argument is that certain shots such as the one with Shigaraki entering USJ don't actually require much animation. He's not doing anything really intensive motion-wise and the art isn't that hyper detailed for long anyway. They could have very easily animated it in a super detailed way or gotten someone who specializes in weird drawings such as Shinya Ohira to draw it. The point is to make it look different or distinct.

Wanderer5

I should check out the manga at least sometime heh heh.

Also knew this was going to happen.

A Luluco Nendoroid, damn, I not surprise given that wasn't Good Smile Company involved with the show or something? They going to have a lot of goods from this series at AX.

Problem with that argument is that certain shots such as the one with Shigaraki entering USJ don't actually require much animation. He's not doing anything really intensive motion-wise and the art isn't that hyper detailed for long anyway. They could have very easily animated it in a super detailed way or gotten someone who specializes in weird drawings such as Shinya Ohira to draw it. The point is to make it look different or distinct.

That's true, but it still takes a lot of time and skill to draw something like that. Plus, adding colors can sometimes interfere with that type of style, and they usually try to keep things fairly consistent in anime regardless

Jarmel

Banned
That's true, but it still takes a lot of time and skill to draw something like that. Plus, adding colors can sometimes interfere with that type of style, and they usually try to keep things fairly consistent in anime regardless

They could have done the scene in black and white then. That would have been cool. There's a ton of ways they could have handled it.

Don't think that argument really works when glorified motion comics like JoJo's first season can do it. Haikyuu also nails art shifts for impressive moments.

Sölf

As someone who hasn't read the manga, I actually really like the pacing and don't think it's slow at all. But when you know the source material you always look at stuff differently. I hat that with the Umineko anime. With the exception of a few episodes it was absolutely horrible and I still think they skipped way too much so that non VN readers missed important stuff. But seems like that's just not the case if you don't know the source material. Same for the Danganronpa anime. So, yeah, some of the problems simply come down to the fact that you watch it with the knowledge of the source material. Doesn't mean the criticism isn't valid, but the criticized parts might simply not be, well, "relevant" to people that watch show X without knowing the source material.

I'm not even talking about the manga. Frankly Part 1 and half of Part 2 are quite ugly, and the anime improves on that.
My point is that Jojo is one of the exceptions because the original artwork wasn't that great. Similarly, other series with middling to bad art like Hunter x Hunter and Attack on Titan do tend to look better in the anime.

Russ T

Banned

?????????

i mean

in your defense that is what i said

it's not what i meant AND YOU KNOW IT but it's what i said

diggin' my own grave, as they say

;_;

Jarmel

Banned
I could overlook a lot of the other problems with My Hero Academia if the characters were better. But none of the young people are compelling, instead they range from various degrees of irritating and dull and it just kills any potential the show has. The character designs don't help with this either.

I think the characters are great for the sort of work it is. Deku generally doesn't act like an idiot, although he certainly can if he gets too emotionally involved. Baku is annoying but everybody acknowledges that, even his own family, and there's also a seriousness to him as well that works nicely by contrast. The side characters have a lot of fun character dynamics and the manga goes to some length to keep them all involved. The villains themselves are a blast to read and have some cool back and forth.

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist:B ep.35

Whelp, the foreshadowing about the whole country being used as a
transmutation circle has been
discovered by Edward and Major Armstrong up at Ft. Briggs.. Shit'so gonna get real here quickly..

wait? wut?! MHA characters designs are the best! His style is so unique. It makes everything cooler.

I love that art he made with all the shonen jump heroes.

Can someone please explain to me what Biba's endgame is? I mean, is it literally just killing absolutely everyone because his father fucked him over and somehow that justifies annihilating all of humanity?

Why would his followers obey him? Do they actually intent to live a normal life and rebuild at some point? If so, wouldn't turning millions of people into Kabane be kinda counter-intuitive? This villain is such a joke.

Kabaneri 11

Takumi
dies
and Ikoma
lives

The "It wasn't me who slashed you down, it was fear" right at the fucking start though. Stellar.

In the end
Ikoma gets a haircut and decides to cosplay as Samus.

Kabaneri of the Idiot Train 11

Time is so short. The stakes have never been higher. People have never needed me more!

Better give myself a haircut so I look cool when I go super Kabaneri.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Your perception of time is fucked.

Wanderer5

Time is so short. The stakes have never been higher. People have never needed me more!

Well course, gotta look badass!

Can someone please explain to me what Biba's endgame is? I mean, is it literally just killing absolutely everyone because his father fucked him over and somehow that justifies annihilating all of humanity?

Why would his followers obey him? Do they actually intent to live a normal life and rebuild at some point? If so, wouldn't turning millions of people into Kabane be kinda counter-intuitive? This villain is such a joke.

One of those want to see the world burn I suppose. Too bad pink hair Sephiroth is not really a compelling villain to pull it off.

He had the whole season to deal with that hideous mop-head of his yet he decides to do it when he loses an arm and is told that Mumei doesn't have a lot of time left and is becoming one of those giant motherfuckers.

Assassination Classroom Episode 46

Missed opportunity to use Hello Shooting Star in the episode, or even bye bye yesterday.

In any case, good episode for this though for manga readers I think many scenes lasted way too long and so slow for stuff
the good bye stuff

Cant wait for next week, I wonder how it will handle epilogue stuff.

5. Hayashi is recycling his GBF work. It's the type of recycling I would expect from Sawano. He's also recycling his Haikyuu work in Kiznaiver but he's adding a lot of really high quality pieces there too so it feels a bit newer and fresher.

You should go back and listen to the Gundam Build Fighters soundtrack again. It's actually a highly varied soundtrack - while it includes some of the orchestral rock inspirational style that Hayashi relies on in Haikyuu and My Hero Academia, it also has substantial influence from electronica, hip-hop, flamenco music, and the like that makes it more unique compared to MHA. MHA is pretty much a rehash of the loud portions of the Haikyuu soundtrack. Kiznaiver on the other hand is a much more subdued soundtrack, so much so that I've seen complaints there that Hayashi isn't "bringing the goods" compared to Haikyuu/MHA, with the music at the very end of episode 9 being the only track that really draws from Hayashi's inspirational style. Kiznaiver is probably most comparable to Death Parade out of Hayashi's previous works.

You should watch the One Piece anime. I think you'd really like it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
how the fuck does an oversized mouth and broccoli hair look cool to you guys

I thought he was supposed to be a geeky sort of character bereft of any and all cool factor and destined to be stuffed in a locker. It isn't an unusual archtype for a superhero character for obvious reasons.

Top Bottom