• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

Qurupeke

Gf0AKqy.jpg

That also reminds me, I also think MHA began airing on the right time: when we're fatigued/obsessing with super heroes. MHA showed that super heroes aren't some silver screen dream, you can be one too except that you can be a super hero in simply doing something good whether it is a step in self improvement or for the society. The second episode has All Might saying that the most important quality a top hero has is their selflessness/showing no hesitation for doing what is right. This was also the point at which I became really impressed with the show.

Isn't the setting that the main character can't be a superhero because he is an inferior human and whatever he does it wouldn't change the fact?

I don't know why you would say that. Hiro Kaburaki has been working in the industry since 2002 and directing full series since 2009, Taku Kishimoto has been working in the industry since 2011 and written 8 full series since then (though this is his first fully-original anime), and Tomohiro Kishi has been animating since 2005 and was previously character designer for My Little Monster in 2012. This isn't a team of newbies.

I actually looked up the wrong person for Hiro Kaburaki. (Well played me)

Yeah, I have more faith now.

blurr

Isn't the setting that the main character can't be a superhero because he is an inferior human and whatever he does it wouldn't change the fact?

Yes, it started off like that and the whole thing felt pathetic. It wasn't only until the end of the second episode(which is from what I read the end of the first chapter in the manga) that we hear: the power didn't matter but his selflessness does.

Line_HTX

Man, that "Thanks for watching this episode" tweet of Kabaneri and that preview for the finale... God, I hope this trainwreck delivers because it better finish so over the top!

I'm dying. Help.

Qurupeke

Man, that "Thanks for watching this episode" tweet of Kabaneri and that preview for the finale... God, I hope this trainwreck delivers because it better finish so over the top!

I'm dying. Help.

Wow. I just watched the preview for the final episode. lol

Cyborg Ikoma and Trojan Horse Mumei. What the hell is going on. lol

The show will deliver today.

Obviously, it comes down to personal interests, but from the below list with the Crunchyroll releases, it appears they have the much better line-up leading into the summer.

Crunchy:
Sweetness and Lightning
Mob Psycho 100
91 Days
ReLIFE
Alderamin on the Sky
Taboo Tattoo
Orange
Berserk

vs:

Funi:
D-Gray Man
Servamp
Tales of Zestiria the X
Dangonronpa3
Love Live Sunshine
Hatsukoi Monster
Handa-kun
Tsukiuta
Scared Rider X
Regalia: The Three Stars

There are still some unannounced stuff out there than can go either way, but from the initial announcements, Crunchy has the better offering.

This feels like Alien vs Predator, whoever wins we lose

Seriously though this summer season as a whole feels really empty for things I actually am interested in, assuming CR gets Shokugeki that puts both CR and Funi at even for series I'm interested in checking out (2 each).

Eumi

Yes and no, it's hard to explain spoiler free, but..... There is a LOT of effort there.

There is, but he still could never have become a hero without All Might basically giving him a free pass by essentially the luck of him making a good impression on a celebrity.

Unless that's secretly all just a ruse and he always had the power. Because that would actually be as awesome as it is stupid.

blurr

Yes, but it will never change the fact that MHA is the opposite of becoming a hero by your own efforts.

Not really, Deku made considerable effort to earn it and to some degree the show relied on its superhero fiction/plot device (with One for All being passed on to him) which IMO is excusable because realistically, there are no literal super heroes but if you consider the same themes/events in another setting - say, an artist, it doesn't seem that far fetched if not far fetched at all. Lets say a reputed artist with a particular style of painting were to pass on his talent/quality to a disciple who he found to be dedicated and has the right set of characteristic qualities but utterly lacking in skill or mentors - it fits in well. One for All required his body to be capable enough to handle without him dying which in this case, is similar to learning the basics of the art before getting try the real deal.

JCG

I'm dying. Help.

Wow. I just watched the preview for the final episode. lol

Cyborg Ikoma and Trojan Horse Mumei. What the hell is going on. lol

The show will deliver today.

You guys really want to call something that generic a "trainwreck" at this point?

It's just a very typical "hero gets a power-up and goes to save the heroine who is controlled by the villains" conclusion.

That's like one of the most common ways to end a JRPG and many an action anime, so it's more boring and unoriginal than unexpected or incompetent.

So I'm dating this girl, and she is an avid show watcher, never really watched anime though (she's more into American and English TV). She decided to give it a try so she asked me about the hottest thing I watching this season, to which I said Kiznaiver. She binged a bunch of episodes in a few episodes and is in love with it, she keeps talking to me about it aha. To see someone new to anime enjoying the show this much says a lot.

Qurupeke

You guys really want to call something that generic a "trainwreck" at this point?

It's just a very typical "hero gets a power-up and goes to save the heroine who is controlled by the villains" conclusion.

That's like one of the most common ways to end a JRPG and many an action anime, so it's more boring and unoriginal than unexpected or incompetent.

I don't strictly disagree with that, but it's getting a lot more ridiculous than I expected. The special zombies on the show have gone from "zombies that know how to use weapons" to monstrosities that fire energy beams.
And while this is indeed a case of a hero returning with a power up, it seems his cyborg design is edgy as hell, especially that haircut.

Cornbread78

So I'm dating this girl, and she is an avid show watcher, never really watched anime though (she's more into American and English TV). She decided to give it a try so she asked me about the hottest thing I watching this season, to which I said Kiznaiver. She binged a bunch of episodes in a few episodes and is in love with it, she keeps talking to me about it aha. To see someone new to anime enjoying the show this much says a lot.

Nice win/win for you buddy!

Maybe get her to watch some of the cross-over with you like Erased, Steins; Gate and Clannad. Even SAO is well liked from a majority of the female casuals I know.

if you ever need break-up anime, watch Hyouka and see if she doesn't like it.

Nice win/win for you buddy!

Maybe get her to watch some of the cross-over with you like Erased, Steins; Gate and Clannad. Even SAO is well liked from a majority of the female casuals I know.

She really likes teenage stories and fantasy stuff, through her research on anime that she may enjoy she's come through all of the ones you mentioned and asked me about them. SAO is a big one on her list, I just didn't mention it here because I don't want people being mean about it (we know fully well how much people love SAO around here don't we).

I may actually do my Hyouka re-watch with her. I keep saying I want to do it and now more than ever I have the reason for it to happen.

She really likes teenage stories and fantasy stuff, through her research on anime that she may enjoy she's come through all of the ones you mentioned and asked me about them. SAO is a big one on her list, I just didn't mention it here because I don't want people being mean about it (we know fully well how much people love SAO around here don't we).

I may actually do my Hyouka re-watch with her. I keep saying I want to do it and now more than ever I have the reason for it to happen.

As long as you're introducing quality anime to her, I will then highly recommend you show her Yona of the Dawn. Seems like it should be up her alley.

if you ever need break-up anime, watch Hyouka and see if she doesn't like it.

She's watched a few trailers and is interested. She says the visuals are very pretty. So things are looking up for us as of now :p

I could see Kiznaiver being a hit with people who might check out one or two shows a season.

Yup she REALLY likes the characters. And she's really into the shipping going on throughout the episodes aha.

As long as you're introducing quality anime to her, I will then highly recommend you show her Yona of the Dawn. Seems like it should be up her alley.

I've yet to watch this show myself believe it or not. This would be a good watch for us both.

She's watched a few trailers and is interested. She says the visuals are very pretty. So things are looking up for us as of now :p

Yup she REALLY likes the characters. And she's really into the shipping going on throughout the episodes aha.

I've yet to watch this show myself believe it or not. This would be a good watch for us both.

*finishes show*

"meh"

"get the fuck out of my house"

Mahouka Koukou is a must watch.

Sölf;208119708 said:
You should push her into the anime sea with overkill. Show her Excel Saga for starters.

I'm afraid she'd drown. Either that or the opposite of Wolf's scenario: she'd break up with me.

And thanks for the recs guys! I totally forgot Kokoro, KyoAni, in a similar vein to Kiznaiver with a bit of an element of the supernatural in there... she would probably eat that right up aha.

What's the verdict on Flying Witch?

Thanks in advance, GAF.

Pretty damn comfy, down to the VA work and all. Interactions seem natural without anything overly crazy happening, as it would in the setting that they are in. It's pretty good!

John Blade

If she love romance anime, try Emma A Victorian Romance.

Wait, so this Time Traveling Girl show...will involve Ben Franklin?

Is this gonna be ANIME Ben Franklin or historic Ben Franklin?

It's the real Ben Franklin. Apparently it's based on a 1983 educational book, Jishaku to Denki no Hatsumei Hakken Monogatari, designed to introduce Japanese children to scientific discoveries related to electricity and magnetism.

Top Bottom