• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

Jintor

Listen, I love MHA, but there's no way you can tell me the anime art is good (or in some ways even just 'decent'). Character animation varies all over the shop from acceptable to inoffensively budget to bleh to absolutely stellar, but like Jarmel said, the BG art and the lighting in particular is almost always egregiously horrid. It's either a blurry mess of colours with no strong definining lines to separate out and visually identify individual objects, or it simply doesn't mesh well with characters proportionally. There were so many times during the USJ fight where it looked like the kids were just floating on this brown-coloured smear that was meant to be the ground.

That's fine in a sense because MHA doesn't really give as much focus on the BG or indeed use it that much in a directorial sense (and that in itself is its own problem), but it's still something that really stands out to me.

Now this might be bog standard for shonen anime or something, but at any rate, it's pretty irritating.

Sterok

Anne-Happy 12

Odd show. But fun. The scenarios got increasingly ridiculous, but that's the point of their bad luck. Decent overall.

Taruranto

Szo5Yji.jpg

What have they done, THIS LOOK AWFUL.

Jarmel

Banned
You should go back and listen to the Gundam Build Fighters soundtrack again. It's actually a highly varied soundtrack - while it includes some of the orchestral rock inspirational style that Hayashi relies on in Haikyuu and My Hero Academia, it also has substantial influence from electronica, hip-hop, flamenco music, and the like that makes it more unique compared to MHA. MHA is pretty much a rehash of the loud portions of the Haikyuu soundtrack. Kiznaiver on the other hand is a much more subdued soundtrack, so much so that I've seen complaints there that Hayashi isn't "bringing the goods" compared to Haikyuu/MHA, with the music at the very end of episode 9 being the only track that really draws from Hayashi's inspirational style. Kiznaiver is probably most comparable to Death Parade out of Hayashi's previous works.

I've found a number of pieces in MHA to be much closer to GBF than Haikyuu. There's definitely Haikyuu in stuff like the main theme or the track when Deku is throwing the baseball but tracks like the rap pieces are obviously GBF influenced. For example the track when Iida is trying to get out the gate in episode 11 would be closer to home in GBF. I'm certainly not arguing that GBF and MHA's OST are similar quality-wise, GBF without a doubt is vastly superior to MHA's OST precisely due to stuff like the flamenco music. There's certainly not anything like Crimson Comet in MHA's OST. This is kinda hard to discuss without the tracks being available in OST format but a number of the recent tracks in Kiznaiver strike me as similar to the less bombastic pieces in Haikyuu. As for Death Parade, I really don't remember the OST at all.

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist: B ep.36
Major Armstrong is now one of my favorites by far. Dude got destroyed
and buried in the concrete.
It's nice to have Winry back in the mix, but Damn the present has Edward by the balls for sure...

Tuck

Iron Fortress - 11
That last scene was pretty badass. Except... it would have made more sense if he waited until he was actually in the city.

The past two episodes have been pretty good, but they stand on a really rocky foundation.

They ruined Mumei. Her actions have made no sense. The idiot ball she carries is so abnormally large, I'm surprised she can walk straight. Had they gone into her being brain washed or having any reason to trust Buba (or whatever his name is) so much, maybe it wouldn't have fallen so flat, but as it is, she has become my biggest issue with the show.

Idiot villagers continue to be idiots - problem #2 with the show. As others have mentioned, theres just so many stupid people in this show. Nobody acts rationally.

And then finally, Buba. I mean, I guess I can accept that they made him so comically evil. And sure, his motivations make enough sense. But his actions don't. I don't get what his end game is here. Just... destroy everything... because? Its not the biggest flaw in the show, because I can at least buy into the "He's just a sociopath" mentality. Its not particularly deep, but it also isn't actively stupid. Mum and the behaviour of the villagers however (But especially Mumei) have really dragged this show down.

Its still enjoyable enough, and theres some decent action. But it could have been so much more.

Also rip biscuit

Can someone please explain to me what Biba's endgame is? I mean, is it literally just killing absolutely everyone because his father fucked him over and somehow that justifies annihilating all of humanity?

Why would his followers obey him? Do they actually intent to live a normal life and rebuild at some point? If so, wouldn't turning millions of people into Kabane be kinda counter-intuitive? This villain is such a joke.

Yeah basically. Thinking about it, my comment above about it not being actively stupid isn't right. Its pretty stupid, even with the sociopath argument. Its just not the biggest issue the show has.

Sterok

Netoge 12

In the end money really was their only path to victory. Well, it took a lot of strategy and effort to pull that off anyway. A better show than this deserved to be really. It was nice seeing everyone get close to each other and Ako stepping outside a bit more. My pleasant surprise of the season.

Russ T

Banned
You should watch the One Piece anime. I think you'd really like it.

I have. They're not comparable. I honestly don't know where you guys see the similarities. One Piece anime drags on and accomplishes nothing extra for it. My Hero Academia, on the other hand, benefits from its pacing. Moreover, even if we were doing a direct comparison, like holy shit, One Piece is soooo much slower.

Hopefully one day you'll all realize hey not everything has to fly at lightning speed to be good, and, in fact, some things are better for being paced slower. O:

Aki-at

Kabaneri - 11

A setup episode but at this point with
several major cities destroyed
is there much left to fight for?

Some beautiful shots in this episode too.

UK's EU Referendum

Was this written by the team behind Kuma Miko?

Line_HTX

Kabaneri - 11

A setup episode but at this point with
several major cities destroyed
is there much left to fight for?

Some beautiful shots in this episode too.

UK's EU Referendum

Was this written by the team behind Kuma Miko?

Your posts lately have been amazing, lol

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood ep.37

Man, I really had the Pres., his son and that Crimson Alchemist. All of them are straight up douche. I can't wait until they find a way to take out these freaks that have Edward, Al and Winry cornered completely. That ending though.... I can't believe she jumped in the car so casually knowing full well that shit is going to happen. That chick has some balls!

I've found a number of pieces in MHA to be much closer to GBF than Haikyuu. There's definitely Haikyuu in stuff like the main theme or the track when Deku is throwing the baseball but tracks like the rap pieces are obviously GBF influenced. For example the track when Iida is trying to get out the gate in episode 11 would be closer to home in GBF. I'm certainly not arguing that GBF and MHA's OST are similar quality-wise, GBF without a doubt is vastly superior to MHA's OST precisely due to stuff like the flamenco music. There's certainly not anything like Crimson Comet in MHA's OST. This is kinda hard to discuss without the tracks being available in OST format but a number of the recent tracks in Kiznaiver strike me as similar to the less bombastic pieces in Haikyuu. As for Death Parade, I really don't remember the OST at all.

I have only a limited sample of MHA to judge from, since I've only seen excerpts of the show, so I'll bow to your superior knowledge here. For Kiznaiver, there may be some similarities to some of the more subdued Hayashi music in Haikyuu (although listening back to the Haikyuu soundtrack, there's a heavy emphasis on guitar that I don't believe has been there in Kiznaiver), but most of Haikyuu relied on more intense music during the volleyball matches so the balance of that soundtrack and its use in show is distinctly different than Kiznaiver, I believe.

I have. They're not comparable. I honestly don't know where you guys see the similarities. One Piece anime drags on and accomplishes nothing extra for it. My Hero Academia, on the other hand, benefits from its pacing. Moreover, even if we were doing a direct comparison, like holy shit, One Piece is soooo much slower.

Hopefully one day you'll all realize hey not everything has to fly at lightning speed to be good, and, in fact, some things are better for being paced slower. O:

I certainly have no objection to a slower pacing that's meaningful, such as in Hunter X Hunter 1999 or Flowers of Evil or Mushishi. But what Jarmel and others have described in My Hero Academia, particularly a heavy use of repetitive flashbacks, is not something that sounds attractive to me. Neither does poor art or poor direction, for that matter.

Narag

I certainly have no objection to a slower pacing that's meaningful, such as in Hunter X Hunter 1999 or Flowers of Evil or Mushishi. But what Jarmel and others have described in My Hero Academia, particularly a heavy use of repetitive flashbacks, is not something that sounds attractive to me. Neither does poor art or poor direction, for that matter.

I was going to time the number of minutes of flashbacks in one episode but it became a real hassle soooo

Jintor

Sure the flashbacks in MHA aren't as bad as the ones in OP but OP is an outlyer in terms of just abusing the shit out of flashbacks. Literally half of an episode in OP can be and has been flashbacks before. It is the arse end of flashbacks.

MHA doesn't use its flashbacks well is what i'm saying.

Russ T

Banned

That's fine, but you haven't watched it, and, to be frank, Jarmel's description of the pacing is really off!

Top Bottom