• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

Jintor

Flashbacks in OP are usually the best parts. Not the anime tho

Sorry, should have clarified. I don't mean story flashbacks in terms of filling in backstory (or in OP's case being the only place where you're allowed to kill off characters); I mean flashbacks as in "Here's what happened last episode, or two episodes ago, or indeed in this episode because you already forgot, you dummy"

Narag

That's fine, but you haven't watched it, and, to be frank, Jarmel's description of the pacing is really off!

His description sounds like something I was thinking of writing about myself, particularly the delay tactics of the flashbacks. They rarely come across as any sort of thematic reinforcement, just padding.

His description sounds like something I was thinking of writing about myself, particularly the delay tactics of the flashbacks. They rarely come across as any sort of thematic reinforcement, just padding.

Pretty much in full agreement here, not to mention how 10 out of the 12 episodes so far decided to add a 2 minute flash-back replaying the previous episode prior to the OP.

Russ T

Banned

The flashbacks aren't, like, spectacular or anything, and the show would be better without obviously, but it's hardly the most egregious example in anime. In fact, it's some of the least egregious among its peers. Also, using the flashbacks as an excuse for the show's slow pacing is... misguided. It's deliberately slow, even without those flashbacks. If that's not your thing, well, whatever, that's fine, but it'd be nice to see criticism that acknowledges that instead of just throwing it in a pile of garbage anime, where, if it were a conscious being, it'd very easily and quickly rise to the top of that pile and get out.

Jintor

just because it's deliberate doesn't mean it's good especially when the source material was refreshing for precisely the opposite reason. I'm sympathetic that they needed to pace the episodes to reach the climax of USJ in 13 eps but the direction chosen was poor for that purpose.

Russ T

Banned
just because it's deliberate doesn't mean it's good especially when the source material was refreshing for precisely the opposite reason. I'm sympathetic that they needed to pace the episodes to reach the climax of USJ in 13 eps but the direction chosen was poor for that purpose.

On the other hand, just because the source material was refreshing for precisely the opposite reason (which... uhh... I still read the manga and even took the time to reread the early bits and don't agree at all) doesn't mean a different take is bad.

The direction is good!

I mean I will die on this hill. It certainly ain't perfect, but geezzzzz.

Narag

The flashbacks aren't, like, spectacular or anything, and the show would be better without obviously, but it's hardly the most egregious example in anime. In fact, it's some of the least egregious among its peers. Also, using the flashbacks as an excuse for the show's slow pacing is... misguided. It's deliberately slow, even without those flashbacks. If that's not your thing, well, whatever, that's fine, but it'd be nice to see criticism that acknowledges that instead of just throwing it in a pile of garbage anime, where, if it were a conscious being, it'd very easily and quickly rise to the top of that pile and get out.

It is my thing though. Asking to excuse its flaws because other shows handle it worse invites the question of why wasn't it handled better as in the case of the Nagahama works hosanna mentioned. There's specific intent in the anime to end the first 8-9 episodes on specific Deku character beats and that's fine. What isn't is what I mentioned where elements of an episode are drawn out just to fill airtime. I'd been wondering why they opted for this route and had actually wished they'd gone the omake segment route (like other kids' shows or the HxH 2011 Killua/Gon thing) to better explain the world and its reoccurring characters to fill that time. As it stands now, the show feels like All Might, Deku, dipshit, frog girl, and a school for spear carriers.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I agree with what Narag and Jarmel said, that the flashback feel like a padding instead of meaningful addition. This flaw is really obvious when you compare it with similar shonen jump show like Diamond is Unbreakable. In DIU, DavidPro add additional scene that foreshadow future arc etc, making it far more meaningful.

Boku no hero acamedia could've done the same since the author put a lot of interesting trivia in the tankoubon version, or if they don't want to do it, they could make the action scene longer or just add similar scene just like when Ochako comment on Bakugo and Deku right after they fight. That was a welcome addition that also function to introduce other side characters.

Don't get me wrong, i still love it and will definitely watch the 2nd season. I hope by the time 2nd season come, they can fix their pacing issues.

blurr

Shirobako 1

What I learned today:

- Production assistants regularly get into street races in the middle of Tokyo.
- Women with large breasts have special difficulty working as animators.
- Fire Tarou.

As others have pointed out, I'm surprised you're watching this now. Looking forward to your impressions.

broz0rs

Two weeks ago, I asked this thread for anime recommendations that is available on Netflix. I'm not much of an anime person, but we were getting bored of the TV content on Netflix so I wanted to give anime a try. Seven Deadly Sins was the first anime series we took a shot at and loved it, so we asked for something similar. The majority of the comments recommended Hunter X Hunter.

My girlfriend and I started watching and we were immediately hooked. We were binge watching and in no time reached the Chimera Ant story arc. We hated it. It was pretty much the same as the Cell saga from DBZ and we weren't very interested. However, it slowly started to pick up and we reached the last episode on Netflix, which unfortunately ended at the middle of the arc.

I decided to try out Crunchyroll just for Hunter X Hunter. I also decided to try out Premium since the free version spams commercials on Chromecast. We finished the Chimera Ant arc tonight and we were both a sobbing mess. So I just wanted to thank the thread for helping me out with this recommendation :)

Anne Happy 12 END

CltbV7rXEAAUiKV.jpg
My only compliant about the end of this series is it never answered the question of why Anne's four leaf clover hairpin is a bundle is evil unlucky energy.

It's so sad that all of the one cour stuff I'm watching ends this week...
Kiznaiver too :'(
Of course Kabaneri would have to be the only one that still has another week left to go.

Anne Happy 12 END

My only compliant about the end of this series is it never answered the question of why Anne's four leaf clover hairpin is a bundle is evil unlucky energy.

I had the impression that Anne had the unlucky energy and her mother gave her the hairpin she used when she was a student in the happiness class to protect her.

Anyone have an opinion on Banner of the Stars and Crest of the Stars? Any good?

What about:
Kaiba
Gosick
Kurenai
Kaiba is one of my favorite anime if not my favorite. I admit it though it can be very abstract and hard to follow at times but it tells a very nice story. Tugs on the heartstrings a lot.

Gosick is also a great series. Starts slow but at the halfway point it ramps up and the story takes an entirely different, and more serious direction. Great if you like detective/mystery stories.

Cornbread78

Kaiba is one of my favorite anime if not my favorite. I admit it though it can be very abstract and hard to follow at times but it tells a very nice story. Tugs on the heartstrings a lot.

Gosick is also a great series. Starts slow but at the halfway point it ramps up and the story takes an entirely different, and more serious direction. Great if you like detective/mystery stories.

I thought they were enjoyable enough. They're relatively serious sci-fi shows which was a refreshing change at the time.

hmmm, looks like I have even more stuff to add to my list now...

Would Gosick work as a Let's Watch? I saw a "romance" tag applied to it, and it looked like it had a Rosen Maiden vibe (damn loli dolls) to it, so I removed it from consideration immediately, lol. However, if it has a good mystery side to it...

JulianImp

What about:
Gosick

It was a good show IMO, and I think you'll probably like it as well because it has a decent mix of mystery, drama, romance and intrigue.

It's basically the story of a boy that one day meets a girl confined to a huge library on the far end of a school in a fictional eastern european country (don't worry, the school barely matters for the most part), and he hangs around with her solving mysteries while the bond between them slowly grows. There're a couple harsh scenes, but nothing downright creepy/loli-ish from what I can remember.

hmmm, looks like I have even more stuff to add to my list now...

Would Gosick work as a Let's Watch? I saw a "romance" tag applied to it, and it looked like it had a Rosen Maiden vibe (damn loli dolls) to it, so I removed it from consideration immediately, lol.
The romance is very subdued and arguable non-existent till very late in the story.

As a Let's Watch? Nope. The beginning is way too slow for me to say it would be a good Let's Watch.
It's basically the story of a boy that one day meets a girl confined to a huge library on the far end of a school in a fictional eastern european country (don't worry, the school barely matters for the most part), and he hangs around with her solving mysteries while the bond between them slowly grows. There're a couple harsh scenes, but nothing downright creepy/loli-ish from what I can remember.

DON'T READ THIS CORNBREAD

Err did you forget the mother's tragic backstory?

Cornbread78

It was a good show IMO, and I think you'll probably like it as well because it has a decent mix of mystery, drama, romance and intrigue.

The romance is very subdued and arguable non-existent till very late in the story.

As a Let's Watch? Nope. The beginning is way too slow for me to say it would be a good Let's Watch.

Fu9k, why do the spoilers appear when you quote something? Luckily I noticed and only saw "backstory" lol.

Thank you, I'll watch it on my own in the near future...

Baalzebup

Anyone have an opinion on Banner of the Stars and Crest of the Stars? Any good?

I absolutely adore the series. It is pretty dated for modern standards, but it has good space opera drama with each of the story arcs having their own tone and narrative in the backdrop of the huge space war that opens up during Crest of the Stars. The humor in the series is often dry enough that it might be the sole cause of the growth of the Sahara desert. The space-elf race, Abh, have a distinct culture and outlook on life that differ from our own values, but I found them easy to relate to and sympathize with. The relationship between the two main characters is up there with my greatest favorites of any pair up due to the natural and organic growth of it, including the progress made off-screen during the timeskips between the seasons.

I know nothing about the dub quality though. One of the things I love is the main lady, Lafiel, often using very imperative tone even in her daily conduct. Her "I'm sorry" is often quite literally "You shall forgive me", though she has used other, less 'high' versions on occasion.

Two weeks ago, I asked this thread for anime recommendations that is available on Netflix. I'm not much of an anime person, but we were getting bored of the TV content on Netflix so I wanted to give anime a try. Seven Deadly Sins was the first anime series we took a shot at and loved it, so we asked for something similar. The majority of the comments recommended Hunter X Hunter.

My girlfriend and I started watching and we were immediately hooked. We were binge watching and in no time reached the Chimera Ant story arc. We hated it. It was pretty much the same as the Cell saga from DBZ and we weren't very interested. However, it slowly started to pick up and we reached the last episode on Netflix, which unfortunately ended at the middle of the arc.

I decided to try out Crunchyroll just for Hunter X Hunter. I also decided to try out Premium since the free version spams commercials on Chromecast. We finished the Chimera Ant arc tonight and we were both a sobbing mess. So I just wanted to thank the thread for helping me out with this recommendation :)

Chimera arc is the worst written arc of HxH. I hope he makes up for it by giving us a multi year Killua exclusive arc with Gon.

JulianImp

Of course I remember that and how strongly it ties into the main story, but there's a big difference between harsh drama and titillation/pandering, which Cornbread appeared to be more concerned about.

Top Bottom