• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

Just T

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless: 12

Pretty nice finish. This was a great relaxing show, glad it turned out as good as it did with a good group of characters to balance things out.

TUSR

Banned
Kiznaiver 12 - If The Kizna System Spread Throughout The World

SMILE = PROTECTED

There were moments where you could see what Okada originally intended this anime to be before Kobayashi pushed it in another direction.

I was happy with the finale, and the whole show. Seeing character interactions towards the end of the episode, and actually caring about them makes it an immediate success.

Bigger post later, I got some Dota to play/watch.

Tanaka-kun 12

For a show about a lazy person who is chill, that was a fairly chill way to end the show. Strongest slice of life of the season and might end up being among the best of the year. I urge people who enjoy relaxed slice of life comedies to give it a watch. Probably rate it an 8.5/10

Kabaneri 11 (kisama!)

nW53KxI.jpg

uslF95t.jpg

Pure drivel. Isayama's writing is Shakespeare is comparison.

KraytarJ

Kiznaiver 12
I don't even know if I have the words to describe how disappointing the last 3 episodes of this show were. It went from an interesting character study about these 7 well developed and crafted characters to this dumb story about one crazy girl's dream to unify the world (I know that was part of the original premise, I just never particularly cared for it nor the attention it got toward the end) and towards the end it felt like a totally different show. Those characters that were being explored and developed took a backseat and their interactions felt so ham-fisted and poorly written. Oh well, the first 3 quarters were still great and it still ranks pretty high in the season for me.

Kiznaiver 12

Wow what a wild ride this. Let's just get this out of the way, this was the best show I watched this season, beating every other thing I was watching in all sectors, the story, the characters, the direction, the animation and the soundtrack were all quite stellar, and I will be remembering this show for years to come. The ending was everything that I wanted to see from this show delivered all in one. I took so many screenshots (something that I usually don't do) just to showcase some of the visuals in this episode. Direction as always was ON POINT, take a look at the contrast between these scenes with the reds and blues:

10/10 for this season. Strong contender for Top 5 of the year.

Tanaka-kun 12

LMFAO Tanaka's laugh gets me every time. This was a really good show and as I watched it I felt more and more attached to the characters. I may go and read the manga from now on. I definitely wouldn't mind if this got a second season with more quirky characters.

9/10

Qurupeke

Kiznaiver [END]
RIP Chidori. At least Yuta x Honoka happened.

It was alright. Nothing unpredictable, but that doesn't really matter. It still delivered some great moments during the climax and I liked the final scene a lot. I kinda hate that the focus of the show was Sonozaki, she was a really unlikable character for the most part, though she got some good scenes at the final few episodes. However, the episodes about the Kiznaivers were my favourite and I'd really like a finale about all the characters rather than Katsuhira and Sonozaki. Also, Nico and Hisomu turned out to have much more depth than it initially seemed, but I want to see even more of them. A second season just needs to happen, even though it seems unlikely.

In any case, it was a good show and a very big surprise this year.

Rainy

Banned
Kiznaiver 12

I'm so sad this is over. Definitely my anime of the season. I liked this episode more than the last two. Everything ended pretty neatly considering Trigger had one episode to do it.
Importantly I felt like I really cared for the characters by the end of this series, which really hit me. That ending scene definitely put a smile onto my face.

Kiznaiver 12 END

Any episode the focused on Sonozaki was a bad episode and that includes this one. Everything that took place on that bridge was stupid as fuck and I kept turning away to play video games because I just couldn't muster up the ability to care about her issues and why she was doing all this shit.

Just another anime that started out good but then absolutely shit the bed when it came to the finale. Disappointment of the season for sure.

Eumi

Great end. A lot of people are and will be disappointed, but fuck 'em, I loved it. Also love how it's almost becoming a weird Trigger tradition to give everyone a new wardrobe at the end. I'm sure it's coincidence but I always love seeing that stuff.

Kiznaivers Overall Thoughts
I have a feeling this could have benefited being a two cour series. But you know what, I ain't even mad at this. The characters are greatly written, the story is okay, and the visual metaphor are maddeningly good. Things like the characters showing their backs when hiding their emotions, colour cues, and just little things all around.

I give this one a recommendation to watch. I am finally off triggers wild ride.

Kiznaiver 12 END

Good ending. Loved this series. Although it would have benefited of more episodes to develop some characters more and set up the final arc properly.

AOTS for me. Also Nico is the best.

KIznaiver 12

That was a fine ending. I felt that some feelings/actions were kinda forced with Sonozaki. It did not have the impact on me I'm sure it was supposed to have. Seeing Kacchon cry and smile was great though.

Tanaka-kun 12

That on the other hand was an amazing ending. It followed the spirit of the show up until the very last moment. An amazing slice of life and a great future recommendation.

Sterok

Kiznaiver 12

A decent, if safe ending. Sonozaki was definitely the weakest part of the show even if she had some decent scenes. The best stuff came from the drama between the main 7. We needed more Nico. At least Yuta and Honoka are happy. I suppose this is my anime of the season.

Tanaka-kun - 12 [End]

Alright episode.

I liked this show quite a bit but these last couple episodes couldn't live up to the Wac one. Most of the characters feel like some unrealistic caricatures and that's always a big damper to me, however, once you take Tanaka and Ohta's stick for granted it can be really fun to see others impressions of them (see Wac girl).

The show's also very well produced and has this coherent, relaxing feel to everything.

7/10

TUSR

Banned
I think the biggest part of Kiznaiver, or what I will take away from it, was the character interactions between the main 7.

Sure, the ending was safe and the Sonozaki story line felt cramped. But there were so many little things, subtleness, from TRIGGER that was done so well.

Just T

Kiznaiver: 12

Not bad, things finished about as nicely as they could at this point. I think the best thing about this show was the main cast, minus Chidori and Tenga of course because they're shit but besides that it was the main cast interactions that made this show worth watching. I think a problem with this was the main plot point that drove everything which is the Kizna System, they took so long to even try to delve into it that the show had a feeling of purposelessness through a good bit of it in those early episodes even though like I said before the character interactions were good, minus Chidori at that time of course because she was shit. Would have been better if they gradually did more with it from the beginning.

Overall though it was definitely worth watching; the animation style is excellent and they did so many visuals that were a treat throughout the show. The music was also well placed. And again this group of characters were very entertaining to watch, minus Chidori and Tenga.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I think the biggest part of Kiznaiver, or what I will take away from it, was the character interactions between the main 7.

Sure, the ending was safe and the Sonozaki story line felt cramped. But there were so many little things, subtleness, from TRIGGER that was done so well.
For a series about emotions, particularly those tied to teens, heading off on safe notes feels like one of the worst possible outcomes to me. Pretty much exactly what I would expect from Okada though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Are you talking about the children and teenagers being prone to committing suicide in that current society?
Yes, and the reasons, because they don't "accept the world". Or Miach and Tuan and Cian forming a suicide pact out of some misguided attempt to rebel against "The Man".

Because that part really didn't make much sense to me. Children and teenagers go through a lot of changes and may make more rash decisions, sure, but that they'd be more likely than adults to feel out of place in that society when their philosophical thinking isn't nearly as developed and they'd just be easier to manipulate by and adapt to society in general anyways. This idea that they can just kinda sense that something's awry seems weak.
This too.

That this extremely medically advanced, totalitarian state is then not even capable of identifying those troubled kids in time seems also rather contradictory.
Pretty much. I understood what they were going for but this isn't actually a realistic portrayal of suicide, and when it comes to topics like this I have very strict standards of plausibility. It's not a topic I like to see used carelessly.
That's not how I saw it. My read is that children are by nature rebellious and many go through phases where they reject the norm and try to act out. In the "perfect" society presented in the setting, things have just adjusted to the point where suicide is the popular "out" for kids wanting to act out and reject society. Unlike taking drugs or smoking though, suicide is kinda... permanent. >_<

I don't really believe this though I know this is the intent. It seems like with a society where everyone is cooperative and everyone is healthy there are tons and tons of ways to rebel. Just being individualist is a form of rebellion, like Miach and Tuan were doing (and as Tuan was doing still as a Helix Inspector). A society with radically imposed societal norms means any deviation from those norms is in itself a rebellion. Suicide is the most extreme form of escape and it would only have weight if other forms of rebellion are unfulfilling within the context of society. I'm reminded of 1984, in which even small amounts of emotion and satisfaction of base desires was considered "rebellion", because of the sheer oppressiveness of Oceanian society. This makes sense, because even these small sins were the utmost taboo. It didn't feel like suicide was the last taboo in Lifeist society, the only recourse for rebellious teenagers. On the contrary, we're treated to various locales who've rejected Lifeist society, the nomadic Tuaregs, the "old town" outside the borders of Lifeist Baghdad, the ongoing Chechnya conflict.

Setting that aside, even the implication of teenagers treating suicidal ideation as a "phase" in Lifeist society leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Within Miach's circle I can understand it because Miach herself is warped and she's bringing in an outside perspective that's seductive in its radicalness, like an invasive organism (and I wish Itoh played up this aspect of her character more), but I have trouble accept the spontaneous generation of her particular thought process among children raised in Lifeist society, especially given their omnipresent health monitoring technology.

Or is the implication that even in this utopian future, Japan doesn't take mental illness seriously? I can see that, but it's also very hamfisted.

This is most likely one of the better written shows by Okada standards.

I'm pleasantly surprised, to be honest.

Okada just gets a lot of flack because she writes more original anime than most. She has consistent issues in her writing, but I don't think she's especially worse than most anime writers. It's not as if the general standard of writing in the medium is particularly high.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This is most likely one of the better written shows by Okada standards.

I'm pleasantly surprised, to be honest.
How much can that really mean when her history of original stuff is so unpleasant? She's a decent writer but a terrible storyteller, and Kiznaiver seems like it is just another project she couldn't find the core of.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kiznaiver Episode 12:

I am in agreement that Nori the Super Villain needed a few more episodes because shit escalated quickly and where the hell did she get those vans with her evil logo for example. Still, even though the ending was rather predictable it is the proper ending to this activities and I would say this was the Anime of the Season.

I haven't watched the final episode of Kiznaiver, so I can't really comment on the quality of its ending.

I will say I find Sonozaki to the weakest element of the show. Sure she's cute, but she doesn't feel like a concrete vulnerable person like the rest of the cast. While most of the cast feels like they're dealing with real issues that affect real people (body image, loneliness, difficulties steaming from childhood traumas.) Sonozaki's issues steam from the Kiznaiver system, something that even on the verge of the final episode feels like it's just there in the plot.

Still like the show, but I have issues with it.

Top Bottom