• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

TUSR

Banned
Kiznaiver - 12

10/10 tell me when I can buy BDs.
dBcxW0c.jpg

Kiznaiver End
That was a rote and mailed-in ending. I liked the show well enough, but it's a shame that it conveniently wraps with a stale power of friendship ending that isn't particularly well executed and has too much of a focus on the kiznaiver system which was never compelling beyond its use as a plot device.

Mailbox

KIZNAIVER episode 12 (END)

Huh... they stuck the landing. Kinda surprised since they tried that whole weird scene last episode. I really like this end. I do kind of understand some people saying that it may have needed another episode or something (though I personally don't understand the Sonozaki hate) since this did feel slight quickened in the same way the last episode of Yamada-kun and the 7 witches was. Both ended quite well, but yeah there could have totally been an extra episode to even out the pacing a bit.

Overall, I left this episode feeling satisfied, which is more than I can say for the vast majority of anime I've watched. Trigger did a Great job this season with this and Luluco. I hope the Little Witch Academia TV series ends up being grand.

yeah if Kiznaiver had arcs for each character, it would have been outstanding. Still a great show.

I think that if they did that instead of a look at the group dynamic like they did, it would have felt much more standard and kind of cliche in terms of scenario development. I wouldn't have liked that.

jgminto

The Kiznaiver ending was great, perhaps a few more episodes could have helped the finale breathe but it also could have lead to serious overexplanation. We got everything we needed from this episode.

Wanderer5

Now that I am back home fully, time to go watch Flying Witch, and be sad even more that the awesome-ness that was saturday anime during this season has ended.T_T

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Didnt know you were writing on medium. Followed :)

Any other animegaf posters writing on medium?
Narag, who I dragged into that group blog. I don't mind adding people to it if they just want to be part of a circle (or whatever lol). I'm just hoping having people on it forces me to write more.

I kind of wish I could just auto-post it to Tumblr too just to keep it up to date.

Quasar

Narag, who I dragged into that group blog. I don't mind adding people to it if they just want to be part of a circle (or whatever lol). I'm just hoping having people on it forces me to write more.

I kind of wish I could just auto-post it to Tumblr too just to keep it up to date.

Right. Are there any other writers of japanese media stuff on there? I did just follow the anime and manga tags in hopes of it surfacing stuff.

Time to write about The Humanoid then.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Time to write about The Humanoid then.
What does Robosexuality mean for humanity?

Right. Are there any other writers of japanese media stuff on there? I did just follow the anime and manga tags in hopes of it surfacing stuff.
Oh, there's quite a bit out there like Anipages and Ogiue Maniax. I haven't followed anime blogs in a while though, so maybe someone like Jexhius would know better.

I do have a medium account, I don't think I've ever posted anything.
You can always start!

Wanderer5

Flying Witch #11

The whale part was so gooood! It was cool that they got on it and explore the ruins for a bit.
Also it was nice to see some more flying.:p

And UGH feeling a bit hungry again from this show.XD

Endride 12

well Emilio, I wish Delzaine would have said something, Im glad he still called him father in the end, he raised him and he even said he was his son. Perhaps someone in the palace lied.

I've never felt the need to have a separate place to dump stuff I write when I do end up writing it. I don't think I'm a bad writer but I'm not a good one either, and I can't imagine there being a huge subset of people who'd want to read stuff I write outside of this thread, the lurkers here, irc or twitter. Most of the stuff I type out is more for my own benefit and to organize my thoughts on something into something concrete and not abstract groups of thoughts. That really helped me with Utena, for example.

I do use Twitter for off hand comments, non gaf related/more personal stuff but I'd never use it as a primary method of writing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've never felt the need to have a separate place to dump stuff I write when I do end up writing it. I don't think I'm a bad writer but I'm not a good one either, and I can't imagine there being a huge subset of people who'd want to read stuff I write outside of this thread, the lurkers here, irc or twitter. Most of the stuff I type out is more for my own benefit and to organize my thoughts on something. That really helped me with Utena, for example.

I do use Twitter for off hand comments, non gaf related/more personal stuff but I'd never use it as a primary method of writing.
I think at some point I wanted to preserve some of my longer posts, particularly since some of them have been lost to the wind - the one with my SAO breakdown is closed and completely deleted now for example.

That and I don't think people here read the longer posts anyway so I don't want to spam the people here. lol
(I still remember a debate about longer posts happening just as I posted my long Kaguyahime review. That was a funny coincidence)

I think at some point I wanted to preserve some of my longer posts, particularly since some of them have been lost to the wind - the one with my SAO breakdown is closed and completely deleted now for example.

That and I don't think people here read the longer posts anyway so I don't want to spam the people here. lol
(I still remember a debate about longer posts happening just as I posted my long Kaguyahime review. That was a funny coincidence)

I make an effort to read every post. There are of course times when I don't, like if its something I want to experience myself/have yet to experience. Sometimes I'll go back and read them if I remember.

Longer posts I've made I have bookmarked or saved somewhere, so I can understand wanting to preserve them.

Quasar

I'll admit I do that. Its more a medium thing though. Giant blocks of texts tend to get browsed over on a forum where I'd read/save them if they appear somewhere else (such as a blog or a Google+ post). I guess thats the same kind of reaction people have to the idea of doing away with the word limit on twitter.

And certainly medium with its longform focus is perfect for it.

Maybe one day I'll write something myself. Never even had a blog though, and really haven't written anything longform outside of a academic setting.

Thoraxes

I make an effort to read every post. There are of course times when I don't, like if its something I want to experience myself/have yet to experience. Sometimes I'll go back and read them if I remember.

Longer posts I've made I have bookmarked or saved somewhere, so I can understand wanting to preserve them.
I saved all my Eupho posts, but that's about it. I'd like to do a real examination of all the aspects of the series eventually though, even if it takes a couple years.

Edit: I kinda got tired of writing regular reviews because I spent years doing super dry, academic music analysis papers, in addition to lots of research writing in music studies. It usually made writing anime reviews feel like work instead of fun, heh.

javac

For some reason I found myself skipping through Aku no Hana for the past hour and episode 7 still gives me chills, an episode comprised of one of the greatest scenes of all time, I can't even form into words just how amazing that show is. It's an unmitigated masterpiece, the likes of which we may never see again. To watch it again for the first time...

Alas I'm stuck undecided on what to watch. I'll find something, but it won't be close to that, nothing will be.

Wanderer5

Flying Witch END

Aaaand it over.:( Them going to the festival was a nice way to end the series. More drunk Akane was amusing (and created a very funny expression from Makoto in that pic), Chinatsu given a robe was sweet, and those earthfish were a bit interesting in the short time they were revealed.:p

I so glad that I had given this series a go. A relaxing series that was oozing with charm and a great cast of characters to enjoy chilling out a bit with. Kiznaiver might be my AOTS, but this follows right behind it.

Edit: Also I love that she did this lol

javac

I usually write my reviews in word so I just have them all saved in a junk folder somewhere in the cloud. Nobody wants to read that shit anyways, least of all me. They're exactly where they belong, away from humans.

Jarmel

Banned
I keep a record of most of my longer posts in case I wanted to rewatch a show or discuss it with someone I can use it to reflect on my earlier opinion.

javac

The Gods have chosen for me because lord knows I can't decide on anything. This is how I'm going to decide everything in my life from now on.
52 episodes of this shit now. The power of one button bewilders me.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Kiznaiver

I have no idea what happened in the end or what Sonozaki's big deal was.

It felt weird that the plot was resolved by Sonozaki just declaring the plot is over. Like, she was able to just fix it the whole time? She basically just said "I resolve the plot now and everything will go better than expected."

Cornbread78

Kiznaiver-END
That bridge scene was pretty dope with the following the water scene was even more powerful. I like the ending, since it was completely my style but it was very contrived and sudden (probably should have made it a 40 min episode). They really played out all of the ships at the end as well, which was great to see, and that Sono one liner about being pushed to the ground was actually pretty funny, with Chidori's reaction being funnier, lol.

Good stuff overall. At least Okada didn't screw this show up..

John Blade

The Gods have chosen for me because lord knows I can't decide on anything. This is how I'm going to decide everything in my life from now on.

52 episodes of this shit now. The power of one button bewilders me.

Are you sticking the one show or the entire franchise as this might take a very long time to finish.

Also, I need to start getting Grantz done soon. I am in the last fight and man....the previous fight make me kinda hate the show a bit. A downer feeling I have to say. Maybe I should put more effort of getting Golgo 13 TV series done sooner than later.

kewlmyc

Kiznaiver

I have no idea what happened in the end or what Sonozaki's big deal was.

It felt weird that the plot was resolved by Sonozaki just declaring the plot is over. Like, she was able to just fix it the whole time? She basically just said "I resolve the plot now and everything will go better than expected."

She was only keeping their pain (the kids from her childhood) since she was convinced the Kizna system was the only way people could be connected. She was proven wrong, and relinquished their pain. Yeah, it's lame that she could have just let go of their pain at anytime, but the ending makes sense considering that reasoning. Basically, the whole plot was due to her stubbornness and selfishness.

Sonozaki never considered anything outside of the Kizna system as something that would work. That she could just change it like that is a bit convenient though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The way Kiznaiver handled Honoka's relationship with Ruru bugged the shit out of me too. It seems like it got passed off as a youthful dalliance, then got swept under the rug and once she gets over her friend's death she's apparently into Yuta.

I don't have a problem with her swinging both ways, I just don't like the way such relationships are handled or presented in anime very much. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it came off like they acted like making friends cured her of being attracted to women or something.

Jarmel

Banned
Kiznaiver-fin
v6f1bBs.png

Great use of red as a way of depicting Sonozaki as villainous.
I'm sorta mixed on the final episode as writing-wise, I find Sonozaki to be the worst of the main cast and even in the finale she continues that role to a large extent. Both her and Katsuhira are very flat characters so they don't play off each other that well. Now I think this concept might have worked better in a longer series where we see Katsuhira become normal and drag Sonozaki out of her shell but even in the finale he's still somewhat monotone and flat in a number of scenes. I suppose that's being true to the character, in that there's a sense of continuity and consequence as you can't just wipe out who you are as a person in a span of a few months. That said, even certain scenes such as the hospital one at the end come off as slightly unintentionally comedic due to how flat the two characters are and how little chemistry they have together. However the direction, storyboarding, music, visuals, and other characters make up for the writing issues. The music in particular really elevated this episode from being mediocre into being great. The piece when Katsuhira is climbing the bridge isn't new but it's still a fantastic track and worked really well. The full ED was really nice and I especially like the orchestral intro and thought the placement in the episode was impeccable.
There was a lot of subtle work put into the animation of the episode such as the above in that Tenga's face is animated a bit softer, around the eyes, which reflects his inner turmoil. While the show didn't have a lot of sakuga, there was a ton of work put into the character art and as a result even though the show doesn't 'move' a lot, it still looks gorgeous as a result. That's in large parts due to the strong effort put into the lighting resulting in some outstanding visual scenes. I wouldn't say it's the best looking show this season as it had some hard competition from JoJo Part 4 but in no ways was this a visually ugly, hell even a mediocre, show.
I expected Trigger to screw up on the production side but instead the show seemingly got better looking as it went along. A practice pretty much unheard of in this industry. Otsuka and staff at Trigger had mentioned how hellish the production of Kill La Kill was and how they were determined to plan better to prevent that sort of crunch and while I can't confidently determine that from the show itself, by all accounts it looks to have a smooth production. They seem to have done some internal adjustments in the past year or so, and the results are visually better and more consistent shows. The true test will be Little Witch Academia with Yoshinari the Perfectionist as I imagine animators will be dying at Trigger rather soon. Hopefully though they can maintain this sort of consistency to their future productions.
I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of the last arc as it feels like the dialogue lost all tangible connection relation to reality. Now I was able to follow it but it felt a bit wonkier than earlier episodes and more conceptual in nature. I preferred the internal drama of the group rather than the somewhat external issues in the Kiznaiver system. That said, I do think the writing did a rather decent job tying the two elements together and so things flowed somewhat well into each other. I don't think this is a case where the ending elevates a show but it certainly didn't sink the prior character work either. This final arc, and the preceding one to an extent, could have worked better at the end of a two cour with more character work but it is what it is.
Kiznaiver is a rather unique work that only Okada and Trigger could have created. It utilizes both of their strengths and comes up with a combination that is whacky, melodramatic, insane but also heartfelt, sincere, and funny. The show doesn't appeal to any particular demographic or audience, which is probably why it's bombing in Japan and not likely to be popular in the USA, but that nonsensical concoction is exactly why it stands out. It balances all these disparate elements so well and avoid a number of pitfalls as a result. It doesn't have the thematic depth I would have liked but it's just so well directed that I really enjoyed the show anyway. This was a great starting point for Hiroshi Kobayashi's directing career and I hope he helms more shows in the future.

John Blade

Just the show, I'll watch the OVA's and spinoff's later, whenever the random generator tells me to do so of course.

Well...wish you luck in the show. Heard good thing about the TV series. If you have some time, do check out Jin Roh. Don't need to look into the other stuff from the Kerberos Panzer saga as they're not as good and hard to watch (the live action movie side).

javac

Well...wish you luck in the show. Heard good thing about the TV series. If you have some time, do check out Jin Roh. Don't need to look into the other stuff from the Kerberos Panzer saga as they're not as good and hard to watch (the live action movie side).
Both The Red Spectacles and StrayDog: Kerberos look pretty cool and weird so I'll probably watch those at one point too. Live action Oshii and Kenji Kawai? Should be fun! :p

gargles

(Yeah, guess it's time to stop lurking and start participating. After months reading some of your opinions (thanks for Rakugo and Luluco!), the only thing I could do now was to join the discussion.

So... any room for some new blood?)

Flying Witch - 12 (END)

So worth it. Wasn't expecting this to be as comfy as it was but I'm glad I've decided to watch it. 8/10, hope it returns in the near future with more Akane and Inukai. And Chinatsu-chan.

The way Kiznaiver handled Honoka's relationship with Ruru bugged the shit out of me too. It seems like it got passed off as a youthful dalliance, then got swept under the rug and once she gets over her friend's death she's apparently into Yuta.

I don't have a problem with her swinging both ways, I just don't like the way such relationships are handled or presented in anime very much. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it came off like they acted like making friends cured her of being attracted to women or something.

I don't really think like it came off as "curing" or anything gross like that but I can definitely see where it could appear that way. Its just one of the underdeveloped things in Kiznaiver. Show really could've used at least a few more episodes.

John Blade

Both The Red Spectacles and StrayDog: Kerberos look pretty cool and weird so I'll probably watch those at one point too. Live action Oshii and Kenji Kawai? Should be fun! :p

Um...it depend on your taste of artist style movie and how much patience you have in them. Did watch both of them so many years ago as I like some of Oshii work but it didn't translate as well in live action as in his animated work. I guess if you want to see some sort of action type movie, then you will have a nasty surprise. I guess if you know Oshii work, you might like it but his pacing style is something you need patience as it does drag on a bit in this two movie (like literally ).

For those two live action movie, I have to say StrayDog: Kerberos might be the better movie mostly it try to have some sort of a story line plot which you can try to follow (even though it's still have the slow pacing style which Oshii like). His other movie, The Red Spectacles, is okay but they is too many weird stuff in the movie which get confusing very quickly. Still, it's an okay movie to watch but don't expect much except to notice his style coming to life in the movie.

To me, Mamoru Oshii isn't a bad director. His creative idea of telling a story is interesting to watch whether in animated or live action. I tend to like his style in animated form but in live action, it doesn't translate as well as I hope for. Not saying all his live action movie is bad. They're actually have interesting idea but for some reason they is always issue with them like low production budget which mean cheap CG animation in them, pacing issue which is something I notice in the live action which I feel can be trim down a bit, creative shot which might look good on paper but didn't look got when it's shot, and some more.

From all the live action movie I have watch, I still think Avalon might be his better live action movie he directed for a while. If you want to watch one of the better live action from him, this might be it too tell the truth. Put that on the list of movie to watch from him. I think you might like it more than his other movie and if you speak Polish, this movie might be easier to understand.

As for Kenji Kawai, love his music work. I try to look into his work when I need something to listen even one where I never watch the show and don't tend to watch them. One of the few musician I tend to follow.

FUN NOTE: Here is the trailer of the movie Avalon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K9keJYO8BM

You got both Oshii and Kenji Kawai working together to make an interesting movie which actually work. Like sword art online but better in every conceivable way.

Kiznaiver is just really, really close to being an amazing show for me. Visual wise, with the direction, character designs and animation the show definitely exceeds, even being able to pretty easily stand toe to toe with Diamond is Unbreakable. There's really nothing that stands out to me as being generally wrong with it, but for a 12 episode series it bit off slightly more then it could chew. I wouldn't even call any part of the show bad, at worst its mediocre. A little bit more here and some filling in here and it could have been amazing. It also took a while for the show to find its groove and convince me what the hell it was actually about past the opening episodes. I'm not disappointed with it, though. I'll put it under the same banner as Yuri Kuma Arashi or Death Parade where it was really damn close.

Top Bottom