• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

Sterok

Haifuri 12

At least we got some decent ship action for once. The character beats did nothing though. And lol at the Harekaze sinking just after everyone gets off.

I've seen this compared to Girls und Panzer, and I think it's a good way to show the difference between a bad show with a good gimmick, and a show that takes a gimmick and makes something good out of it. GUP knew what people wanted (crazy tank battles) and made sure we had no shortage of that. It was also well directed with good animation and simple, but memorable characters. Haifuri lost its way at the halfway point, stepped back on the fights, abandoned the interesting mutiny plot in favor of mind controlling hamsters, and ended up being ho-hum at best. Well, they can't all be winners.

Ascheroth

Kiznaiver #12 (End)

And it's over.
I loved it. From beginning to end, I can't say there was any moment that wasn't engaging. I liked all of the characters, the direction was great, the soundtrack was great, the artstyle is great, the serious moments, the comedy, everything.
10/10, this is going into my list of default recommendations when someone asks 'what's a good anime to watch?'.

The 'aftermath' scenes were sooo goooood.
Also, Nico is just the best. Damn.

OH SHIT

Bungou Stray Dogs 12/END
This whole show felt super incoherent and often times unsure what genre it wanted to be. Looks like this a source material issue rather then being done by Bones, at least the show was generally decent/good looking. (4/10 - Below Average)

Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta? 12/END
Thus this ends another show this season that just didn't feel particularly good, also the faces in this show are really fucking weird looking. (4/10 - Below Average)

Trigger Girl Trigger Trigger 12/END
Trigger....damn, just damn. (8/10 - Great)

Kiznaiver 12/END
Kiznaiver doesn't stick the landing, but at least it didn't fall flat onto its face like I feared. Still quite a good anime even if the Sonozaki and Chidori were both unlikable characters that got way too much screen time. Thank god for Nico, thank god for her! (7/10 - Good)

Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge 12/END
Just a well done relaxing anime full of fun and colorful characters, though I do wish we saw more of Oota's sister and Tanaka's as well. (7/10 - Good)

So, here are my thoughts on Hundred and why I constantly called it ART when it aired:
https://medium.com/@allen.kwan/the-art-of-trash-1bd4f24d34e1#.qcpr8dt8o

I figure that's easier than trying to do a tl;dr type post here. lol

"For me, it is distinguished from other shows of its ilk by its ambition."

...... I see.

Frankly, when you talk about artists/creators being given free reign, I think Sengoku Collection is a much better example of that in anime than... Hundred.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
"For me, it is distinguished from other shows of its ilk by its ambition."

...... I see.

Frankly, when you talk about artists/creators being given free reign, I think Sengoku Collection is a much better example of that in anime than... Hundred.
Oh, I would count that too actually. The Bowling of Columbine episode is still one of the craziest things I've seen. But Hundred exists solely as trash - it doesn't even seek to resemble anything of value. Like there's no escaping that it's a harem, which automatically makes it the most despicable type of anime possible. For me, it's just a matter of what you do with it given that inescapable constraint. lol

Gvitor

Kiznaiver END/Series impression

This could be way better. Some good episodes here and there, but there's too much convoluted talk that doesn't make sense, and everything Sonozaki did in the last episode came out of nowhere, is stupid and borderline impossible. I guess it's anime and all, but sure, let's all dress-up as dark gomorin and follow a girl's crazy plans. Sonozaki was an awful character. It really felt rushed.

Nico is the best.

Cl0Vgs8UYAACFSH.jpg:large

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wow.

Just as interesting is your mention of Till Death in network TV. I didn't know it spiraled down into something that bizarre!
It's amazing, if you watch that Blossom clip, the guy is describe everything that happened to the show itself. His wife was changed every season, so he really had 5 wives. And Fox didn't give a shit about the show, so it just aired whenever.
And yeah, apparently he spent all of season 4 wondering why he was trapped in a sitcom. And the finale episode is animated.
It's the very definition of producers not giving a fuck. lol

ibyea

Banned
It's amazing, if you watch that Blossom clip, the guy is describe everything that happened to the show itself. His wife was changed every season, so he really had 5 wives. And Fox didn't give a shit about the show, so it just aired whenever.
And yeah, apparently he spent all of season 4 wondering why he was trapped in a sitcom. And the finale episode is animated.
It's the very definition of producers not giving a fuck. lol

I just watched that clip. Wow, they really did not give a fuck.

Concrete Revolutio - 1

Cl0izBVWQAAidJV.jpg:large
Cl0i_3vWgAA1jQS.jpg:large
Cl0jqj-XIAA6Hc1.jpg:large

asfbaskjfbnkajhfdkajhnafs

The timeline jumping wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. I can only describe what I watched as a status quo being built and the future parts being what's going on after it was changed.

If it's just going to be between these two separate timelines then I shouldn't have a problem with it. Baccano! constantly switched between three timelines and I thought that show was great, so bring on more MAGICAL GIRLS AND GIANT ROBOT HORSE THAT TRANSFORMS FROM A CAR FIGHTING ALIENS.

Concrete Revolutio - 1

The timeline jumping wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. I can only describe what I watched as a status quo being built and the future parts being what's going on after it was changed.

If it's just going to be between these two separate timelines then I shouldn't have a problem with it. Baccano! constantly switched between three timelines and I thought that show was great, so bring on more MAGICAL GIRLS AND GIANT ROBOT HORSE THAT TRANSFORMS FROM A CAR FIGHTING ALIENS.

It's probably about as complicated as Baccano with all the moving parts going on. At the same time it's denser due to all the tie-ins with real world political and cultural events - although that could make it easier to follow if you're somewhat familiar with 20th century Japan.

It's probably about as complicated as Baccano with all the moving parts going on. At the same time it's denser due to all the tie-ins with real world political and cultural events - although that could make it easier to follow if you're somewhat familiar with 20th century Japan.

I can't say I am familiar with 20th century Japan, but it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

From what I've watched I'd wager that Gundam 00 S2 is probably way harder to follow than this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Haifuri 12

At least we got some decent ship action for once. The character beats did nothing though. And lol at the Harekaze sinking just after everyone gets off.

I've seen this compared to Girls und Panzer, and I think it's a good way to show the difference between a bad show with a good gimmick, and a show that takes a gimmick and makes something good out of it. GUP knew what people wanted (crazy tank battles) and made sure we had no shortage of that. It was also well directed with good animation and simple, but memorable characters. Haifuri lost its way at the halfway point, stepped back on the fights, abandoned the interesting mutiny plot in favor of mind controlling hamsters, and ended up being ho-hum at best. Well, they can't all be winners.

For me, there was just a little more attempts at character building in Haifuri, and more than just mommy issues. That said, Haifuri just ends like GuP almost without a denouement. Well, I guess Haifuri technically had more of an ending so that's something.

There's always The Last Ship. lol

Exalted

Im thinking of dropping Netoge at ep 8, does anything happen worth watching or is it a safe drop

Not really, the last 3 episodes are about them capturing a fort in game in pvp mode, as their club project. Also there is really no new character progression, Ako is still the same...
I liked the first 2 episodes the most, when lots of things were still a mystery, but didn't really like the later club stuff that much. Doesn't really get more interesting if that is what you were wondering.

Flying Witch 11-12/END
Great way to end a relaxing anime, happy they were able to adapt the flying whale chapter even if they didn't have time for the rabbit chapters. Do wish they were able to cover the chapters that were more nature heavy, since the show's town/indoor backgrounds were not great. (6/10 or 7/10 - Above Average or Good)

ibyea

Banned
Kiznaiver: 11
Once again, I really appreciate Niko as a character. I am glad my initial impression of her was thoroughly wrong.

Also I honestly don't know what's up with Chidori here and it's making me dislike her. Well, it's not that I liked her before but still.

This one is a Katsuhira-centric episode, and I think this is a great development for his character. Seeing his old friends catatonic and remembering his grief from it, and with Niko's suggestion, he begins to think. So even if his ability to feel is diminished, and while it's difficult, he tries to understand his friends and no longer will he be a bystander to other people's emotions.

ibyea

Banned
Concrete Revolutio - 1

Yeah there are only two timelines to follow and the show is mostly linear anyways.

Tanaka 12 (End)
Flying Witch 11-12 (End)

I hope next season has a day as comfy as these past Saturdays were. Both of these were relaxing as hell, especially as a cool down from Kiznaiver's drama.

kewlmyc

Kiznavier END

My favorite show of the season. While the "We were friends all along!?" was cheesy as all hell, the ending was still enjoyable. Probably my favorite Trigger show honestly and my favorite thing that Okada has produced. Came around and ended up liking all the main characters by the end, which is more than I can say than any other Okada show.

9/10 would watch again.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So, here are my thoughts on Hundred and why I constantly called it ART when it aired:
https://medium.com/@allen.kwan/the-art-of-trash-1bd4f24d34e1#.qcpr8dt8o

I figure that's easier than trying to do a tl;dr type post here. lol
I don't really understand. I think your premise is flawed and the narrative you're created around Hundred is not very accurate. The overlap between creative choices and business interests are not rare. If anything, they are the norm. It is only natural for someone in a creative role to want their work to reach as many people as possible, both to justify their work and for financial benefit. There are expectations from the publisher when the light novel was written, and there are even more expectations for the anime iteration. The people working on this don't get to just do whatever they want. Of course they are going to do their best, but I cannot see the differentiating factors here between Hundred and other light novels and their adaptations. When the next IMS show airs in a few weeks or whatever it is it'll just be more stuff like this.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gotta say, Darkness' push up form is terrible.

Qurupeke

So the Flying Witch double episode is today, eh? Great timing.

Little Witch Academia: The Enchanted Parade
It's been a while since I had last seen the first one and it was a mistake not watching this sooner. Thankfully, the TRIGGER hype of the season finally pushed me into it.

The particular episode was a story about friendship, with an even bigger and charming cast, and more magic spectacle. The new characters, even though they didn't have a big role, leave a strong impression because of their quirks. With the announcement of the LWA series, my only wish is that they'll expand the cast with even more unique witches.
And more Chariot, but that's not the point!
The main cast also got more development, as the usual trope of conflict between friends is used on this. I was worried that the drama would be a large part of the movie, but it still managed to perfectly keep its cheerfulness, mostly thanks to the efforts of Akko. Her assignment was the Happy Time Project after all, it would be ironic if she was depressed most of the time...

I guess the finale is similar to the first one. I think the dragon had more impressive moments overall, but I loved the whole thing with the parade, it had its fair share of spectacular scenes. LWA certainly delivered once again on providing an entertaining battle without turning it to just an exchange of spells and projectiles. The only thing I found disappointing is that The Enchanted Parade, having double the length of the first one, didn't really differentiate much. The first half, or so, actually seemed to point out to a more "slice of life" approach, but I'd like more of that. The TV series has the potential for that though and it may be for the best that they didn't risk it.

Overall, it was pretty great again. Nice Akko faces, nice animation and a lovely atmosphere. English Witches are the best.

Concrete Revolutio - 2

This episode basically covered an entire character arc from nothing in one episode and it somehow didn't feel rushed or bad at all.

Impressive stuff.

I think you'll like ConRevo, nintendoman58.

In episode 8 there's a mecha pilot is introduced. His character says a lot about the mecha genre I think.

ibyea

Banned
Kiznaiver: 12, end
"Niko honestly doesn't care about Sonozaki, no matter how tragic she is."

*clap clap clap*

This episode was fun, corny, and kind of underwhelming. Maybe it needed one more episode or something. I don't even care about Sonozaki and it feels more like she is getting in the way of these seven people I actually know. But, like I said, it was fun and I think it was a well made episode overall.

I think you'll like ConRevo, nintendoman58.

In episode 8 there's a mecha pilot is introduced. His character says a lot about the mecha genre I think.

I've heard this show has its fair share of good 2D Super Robots as well.

Haven't heard about the pilot though. Looking forward to it.

phaze

Star Driver 12
017424zzb8u.jpg
017434uqxds.jpg
0174368esrl.jpg

Aqua Timez rulezzzz

Leave it to best girl to ask the important/basic questions. After like 12 episodes but still. And I even got same vague infodump. In a show where the three basic characters absolutely refuse to talk about what the fug is going on or ask about just what Takuto's motivations/background is, this is like finding an oasis in a sea of sand.

A lot of my enthusiasm towards the battles have weaned off. They are still as lavishly animated as ever but not only filled with stock footage at beginning, end and sometimes even in the middle but more importantly, they're so exceedingly mechanical and samey that it saps my enjoyment of it. Takuto gets beaten up, pulls out from a certain dark place a new ability, that is never foreshadowed or explained how he learned it or why he never used it before if he knew it all along, one shots his opponent with it and voila. Not as bad as Utena's descending Ojii-sama power up but not far removed.

With those more overall gripes out of the way, I'll say that #10 and #11 and particularly #12 were some of the better episodes of this endeavour so I hope it'll continue in that vein, continuing to shed more light on some of the recurring opponents.

Eumi

If Luluco and Nova are in Kiznaiver then does that mean Luluco finds Nova after all? Or is this pre Flashpoint?

Imaishi explain plz. Whats the timeline.

It's a parallel universe Nova and Luluco where Luluco never obtained Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap or found the Saint's Corpse.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't really understand. I think your premise is flawed and the narrative you're created around Hundred is not very accurate. The overlap between creative choices and business interests are not rare. If anything, they are the norm. It is only natural for someone in a creative role to want their work to reach as many people as possible, both to justify their work and for financial benefit. There are expectations from the publisher when the light novel was written, and there are even more expectations for the anime iteration. The people working on this don't get to just do whatever they want. Of course they are going to do their best, but I cannot see the differentiating factors here between Hundred and other light novels and their adaptations. When the next IMS show airs in a few weeks or whatever it is it'll just be more stuff like this.
I look at it this way. I'm sure the people who work on The Last Man and 2 Broke Girls are fine at their jobs, but I just can't imagine they have the same passion as Louis CK who put up his own money to try his strange pseudo-TV experiment earlier this year.

I think there are people who just do what they need to do to make product and move on. I know I'm the only one who cares about and enjoys Infinite Stratos in this manner, but I do genuinely think that season 1 was near perfectly put together haremshit show. Then season 2 happened and, even though I don't look up the staff of show before hand, I could immediately tell that someone different was in charge of this production. If S1 was restrained and well-considered, S2 was lazy and generally a forgettable experience. Given that it's the same source material, I can only assume that it is the change in staff that resulted in a worse anime.

Look, I don't know if everyone working in anime is like the fictional staff on Shirobako where they think the shitty 3am anime they make is going to be the best thing ever and try their best, but if animators are anything like people who work on films and television, where you constantly hear stories of people who hate their jobs to the point where they make movies and tv shows about how miserable it is to work in Hollywood, I have to imagine that there is the same sense of futility in some of the people who work in anime.

Gotta say, Darkness' push up form is terrible.
It looks like she was doing yoga more than push ups.

Flying Witch - 11+12 [End]

Some lovely two final episodes. The fabric store had some nicely detailed backgrounds.

The flying whale and ground fishes were a nice addition to the odd wizard world aspects of this anime. It's a bit strange but kinda works out.

With the better characterization I might actually prefer this over Tanaka-kun after all. But it's give and take.

7/10

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I think the issue with Sonozaki's heel turn is it is mostly an artifact from the battle shonen days that was never sufficiently re-written to fit the new model. I couldn't say that it came out of nowhere given the things that Sonosaki was saying in the lead up to things but it still felt like there were a few pages missing.

Kiznaiver 12 END

I'm surprised.

This episode had a lot of problems. This series has been having a lot of problems since episode 9. The pace was rushed to such an extent that it felt like the big climatic scene ended before it even began. The foreshadowing and build up to such a scene felt even more rushed. Sonozaki's logic was idiotic and in consequence her motivation and justification for her incredibly selfish actions was poor. Yet despite all of this, the episode was very enjoyable and satisfying. The more action orientated take in this episode felt fresh, we had a nice scene highlighting the groups growth in understanding each other and themselves in the process and the final cuts of the couples was fulfilling.

Kiznaiver could of been something really special if the later episodes concentrated on group dynamics and character interactions as much as the earlier episodes, however, even with pacing issues, the show draws you in with its colourful cast and aesthetic.

Its easily anime of the season.

Team RED made it.

Kiznaiver End
download.png

Gonna miss these idiots.

So I like Kiznaiver. In fact, I really like Kiznaiver. It's easily one of the best shows of the year. It's directed well, has great lighting, dives into interesting themes, has a likable attractive cast, I could go on and on. (Oh yeah, the opening is fantastic.) That said, I have some issues with it. These issues don't ruin the show, but I do want to post about them. So despite all these things I'm about to say, I still think it's great.

Kiznaiver is a cramped show at 12 episodes. It feels like somethings had to be cut for time, and somethings just feel like they don't belong in the plot. (The mayor, and the two researchers get an odd and frankly pointless amount of focus.) Some of the cast gets a lot of focus, while others only get some oh by the way focus. We learn very little about Tenga, Nico, and Yoshiharu's background circumstances. Some people may not have an issue with that, but when compared to what this show does decide to focus on, I do. The kiznaiver system, the actual system, is a weakness of this show. The entire first episode spends too much winding up a big punch of what the kiznaiver system is. I can only speak for myself, but I found myself enjoying the series more when the actual kiznaiver system was pushed more into the background. It's why the best episode of this series isn't the finale, it's episode 7. That's where the characters, the fucking lovable great funny expressive characters, really breath. Compare episode 7 and the finale and the breath of quality is vast, and I don't even dislike the final episode. It's good, but not fantastic. It's a solid good episode, and that's the thing. It feels like there are two sides to Kiznaiver. A really fantastic side, and a pretty good side.

Kiznaiver Episode 12 (END)
Cl1GHZVWgAAZTe6.jpg:small
Cl1HzNJWgAAhaBG.jpg:small

Yes the three best characters got excellent looking moments. I wish we got to see two of them during the epilogue stuff.

Yuta remained the best and had the best scenes and I was laughing so much
best non bl pairing in this. The others (apart from Kacchon and Sonozaki cause childhood friends becomes lovers is one of the top things) didnt make sense. Like Tenga and Chidori, how terrible to only get her because the one she actually wanted was taken and poor Nico.

Alright anime that had ups and downs, 7/10. Will not be buying.

ibyea

Banned
Kiznaiver End
download.png

Gonna miss these idiots.

So I like Kiznaiver. In fact, I really like Kiznaiver. It's easily one of the best shows of the year. It's directed well, has great lighting, dives into interesting themes, has a likable attractive cast, I could go on and on. (Oh yeah, the opening is fantastic.) That said, I have some issues with it. These issues don't ruin the show, but I do want to post about them. So despite all these things I'm about to say, I still think it's great.

Kiznaiver is cramped show at 12 episodes. It feels like somethings had to be cut for time, and somethings just feel like they don't belong in the plot. (The mayor, and the two researchers get an odd and frankly pointless amount of focus.) Some of the cast gets a lot of focus, while others only get some oh by the way focus. We learn very little about Tenga, Nico, and Yoshiharu's background circumstances. Some people may not have an issue with that, but when compared to what this show does decide to focus on, I do. The kiznaiver system, the actual system, is a weakness of this show. The entire first episode spends too much winding up a big punch of what the kiznaiver system is. I can only speak for myself, but I found myself enjoying the series more when the actual kiznaiver system was pushed more into the background. It's why the best episode of this series isn't the finale, it's episode 7. That's where the characters, the fucking lovable great funny expressive characters, really breath. Compare episode 7 and the finale and the breath of quality is vast, and I don't even dislike the final episode. It's good, but not fantastic. It's a solid good episode, and that's the thing. It feels like there are two sides to Kiznaiver. A really fantastic side, and a pretty good side.

Completely agreed. It really needed more episodes and some of them sort of got shafted, but it's still a pretty good show overall and the best parts are amazing.

Thoraxes

Kiznaiver - 12

All my ships played out.
Chidori is happy and gonna be even happier in the immediate future, as is Tenga.
Nico is the bro-est bro.
There was some really great character, cloth, and hair animation this episode.
I'm kinda glad it was able to end like this before it stretched its story and premise too thin and had an unfulfilling ending.
I really liked the whole cast of characters by the end. It's a good group and I want to see more of them.
The subtle transformation of emotion on Nori-chan's face on that last cut was great.
There was 2D car animation.

10/10 tell me when I can buy BDs.

Top Bottom