• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STALKER: Call of Pripyat |OT|

luka

Loves Robotech S1
JoeMartin said:
:lol WHAT I walked up to a friended stalker to talk to him (still had my gun out, but you can talk to friended stalkers with your gun out right?) and he straight punched me in the face and stole my fully upgraded Tide (special Vintorez from Nimble) like it was no big deal.

The same thing happened with a friendly bandit (who I had just saved with a medkit) and my fully upgraded G36. I had made a point about being friendly to as many people as possible until that point. I promptly shot him in the face, retrieved my gun...and began the great Chernobyl bandit massacre. None were spared.

JoeMartin

Well I modded Shoc and Clear Sky on steam so I don't see why CoP couldn't be modded as well (all three are modded in the same exact fashion, a lot of Clear Sky mods are directly portable to CoP).

I found CoP perfectly playable out of the box anyways, the only mod I put into it was AtmosFear, which adds new skyboxes/weather and other various ambiance related things.

On a side note:
4310331911_18ce673be8_o.jpg

Who's excited? I felt Clear Sky, despite failing miserably to deliver, had awesome potential as a game. If anyone can fix it Pavel can.

-Mikey-

This shit is on steam!!

30 dollars unless you have shadow of chernobyl or clear sky on your steam account. If you do, then its only 20 bucks! :D

kodt

Banned
-Mikey- said:
This shit is on steam!!

30 dollars unless you have shadow of chernobyl or clear sky on your steam account. If you do, then its only 20 bucks! :D

yah just saw this, great deal.

This will be my first stalker game with out mods (until COP complete is out =D), the same game pause bug is still there =(. But jesus it is destroying my graphics card it's going up to 80C i haven't even set it to dx10 Max yet.

imprecise!

Neo Member
Considering I bought SoC for $2 during the holiday sale and was expecting Pripyat to be $40, this loyalty deal is particularly amazing. Impulse bought.

In Pripyat now, cant find that damn ferris wheel anywhere :lol

Anyhoo, in the Zaton area, i heard some gunfire, so i thought id run over and help. Got up a hill, and looked below.... 1 lone stalker is trying to survive against 30 (no im not exaggerating) wild dogs. So i quickly ran away to the safety of the train station :D

Also, im liking the achievements, as they actually do something useful. For example, i just sold a few artifacts and got a shit ton of cash, and i got an achievement for being wealthy. With this, traders will now show me there best stuff.

Also managed to find all the tools now and give them to the gun modders, and holy hell my G36 fully upgraded is insane, no recoil, no bullet spread, just straight up pure accuracy, feels like im playing CoD ! :lol

This Stalker is pure win.

Technosteve said:
hehe. I've been caught a couple of times by the blowouts inside buildings I thought would be safe. but you're actually safe from it inside that boat, just stay in until it's over

Sorry if this is way too off-topic but I've wanted to try these games out for a long time. Now that I have a good PC which is the best game to start with?

I bought it at 20 euro's, I played through the original STALKER just two weeks ago (with the complete 2009 mod) and loved it. Which is funny cause it didn't click with me when I tried it back when it released in 2007, but I started to enjoy it a lot more when I found my first decent weapon. And the complete mod fixed a lot of the stupid bugs. It ran a lot better as well.

How's the performance with COP? I've got a 4870 Radeon, hope it will suffice.

TheExodu5

Banned
Why is this game so not demanding? I thought the benchmark was stressing people's PCs like crazy? I maxed everything and still maintain 70+fps. Doesn't seem like sun rays are really working though, and those were the most demanding feature in Clear Sky.

Something wrong with my copy? =\

(not that I'm really complaining since I'd play with whatever settings let me achieve 60fps)

TheExodu5 said:
Why is this game so not demanding? I thought the benchmark was stressing people's PCs like crazy? I maxed everything and still maintain 70+fps. Doesn't seem like sun rays are really working though, and those were the most demanding feature in Clear Sky.

(not that I'm really complaining since I'd play with whatever settings let me achieve 60fps)

What graphics card do you have? Maximum is raping my 4890 to the point combat is a slide show =(

Damn these DX10/11 thunderstorms are something else. The lighting, the wet shaders that drench everything, shadows cast by damn near everything when the lightning hits, the wet sheen that goes over everything too (and from your gunfire), characters and weapons looking wet and the pitter patter on the floor, along with the sounds. Best game thunderstorm ever, while also being random.

Edit - So, main story complete, enjoyable deffinately, but the main draw is still easily The Zone. You get an option at the end to stay or leave, so basically free mode if you stay, and can continue doing side quests etc. I reloaded my save and left, and the ending screens were very much like Fallout 3, where who you met and what you did changing the ending.

Im having way more fun roaming about the zone in this game than both the previous game, i really do think this is my favourite STALKER :) Pics !

Now I kinda hope there is another Stalker game coming. But its probably just afterglow from finishing the game and Metro 2033 hopefully will be a nice substitute.

TheExodu5

Banned
The visuals in the game are still kind of disappointing coming from STALKER SoC Complete 2009. The art direction and mood is just so much better in Complete. Still, it's a big step of from vanilla STALKER, so I can't fault it too much.

Blizzard

Banned
Misterinenja said:
Sorry if this is way too off-topic but I've wanted to try these games out for a long time. Now that I have a good PC which is the best game to start with?
I haven't played much of the original, but the impression I'm getting is that it's best to start with the original STALKER (maybe with the complete 2009 mod), and then try call of pripyat since it seems to hold your hand less.

I have been meaning to play the original game without any mods on my first playthrough, but I guess I am being a little more tempted to try the complete 2009 mod on even a first playthrough. *shrug*

TheExodu5

Banned
Blizzard said:
I have been meaning to play the original game without any mods on my first playthrough, but I guess I am being a little more tempted to try the complete 2009 mod on even a first playthrough. *shrug*

There is no reason to play without Complete. It really improves the experience.

Blizzard

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
There is no reason to play without Complete. It really improves the experience.
I think the only reasons I was considering was because I didn't want to run the risk of savefile corruption, and I wasn't sure if it was one of the mods that actually changed gameplay (i.e. made it harder with darker nights, or made it different with fixable weapons). My single biggest fear about STALKER is that I will start, find a good weapon, and then halfway through the game it will have become permanently degraded/broken and I will have no options to repair it and no guarantees I can find or buy anything better. So maybe I -should- play with a repairable weapons mod, but it feels lame.

If complete 2009 is purely a graphics mod and doesn't introduce darker nights that make things harder, then maybe.

TheExodu5

Banned
Darker nights just make the game more engaging and give legitimacy to night vision. The gun physics are improved and shooting is easier.

vocab

TheExodu5 said:

That benchmark barely ran for me, and wouldn't even run the damn thing in DX11. It just felt buggy. The full game ran fine maxed out. 4/8x MSAA with HBAO killed performance, but that's expected. It doesn't seem like a game that's demanding at all.

Blizzard

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Darker nights just make the game more engaging and give legitimacy to night vision. The gun physics are improved and shooting is easier.
Sorry to ask so many questions...does that mean they are actually improved, i.e. more realistic, or are they just "easier"? :p The point of STALKER guns were to be somewhat realistically difficult I thought, but they may very well be broken in ways I'm not aware of.

imprecise!

Neo Member
So I'm stuck with no apparent place to hide from an imminent emission, with the only nearby building being full of bandits who shoot me for trespassing in their club. I keep reloading the save and scrambling to find shelter in whatever shack or rocky outcropping I can find (while popping anti-rad drugs and health packs) only to die a quick, painful death every time the emission gets serious.

Is there any way to survive these things without being indoors, or do I just have to reload an old save?

Zenith

Banned
I don't get it, mine looks awful. It runs smooth and has average load times (bad sign!) but it looks like a UE2 game. I remember the screens of Stalker1 showing the steep parallax mapping and great textures. Have I missed something in the settings? SSAO or whatever it is is set to off, but everything else is max or just below max. I've looked at youtube vids and official screens and my version seems to match what they're outputting.

107169_2.jpg

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Well, I would like to play this game. A ten minute launch, plus a 30 second delay when trying to open the menu has really killed it for me.

Not to mention the draw distance on max apparently means 10 feet in any direction. Help?

Darklord

Banned
This game is confusing, and not the gameplay but the graphics! On this page along it ranges from stunning to crap. What's going on? 0_o

Why is Max and Zenith's looking so bland but DennisK4's looks like like it's coming up on Crysis.

Darklord said:
This game is confusing, and not the gameplay but the graphics! On this page along it ranges from stunning to crap. What's going on? 0_o

Why is Max and Zenith's looking so bland but DennisK4's looks like like it's coming up on Crysis.
You need to have screens that show the lighting and avoid the outdoors, that's where the game looks great.

WanderingWind

This game was not finished, by any stretch of the imagination. I'm not even going to attempt to play this until a ton of patches come out.

WanderingWind said:
This game was not finished, by any stretch of the imagination. I'm not even going to attempt to play this until a ton of patches come out.
Yeah you better expand on that one. Because for now it seems like angry ranting.

WanderingWind

Danne-Danger said:
Wuh? What's wrong?

Again, it takes more than 8 minutes to load the game, and again after any death. Draw distances are a complete joke. The game is coded so poorly, that my brand new PC that laughs at Crysis on max settings chugs and dies on this.

Unless I'm missing something, of course. I'd really like to give this a fair shot, but I've played with every setting and it's still garbage.

Dennis

Banned
LordPhoque said:
Is it me or COP is the ugliest game of the 3 STALKER ? Clear Sky was gorgeous, but goddam COP doesn't look very good :/
Its you. COP looks much much better than Shadow of Chernobyl did when that first came out.

Clear Sky maybe looks better than CoP but it is not as open and it also runs much worse than CoP.

CoP suffers from bad LOD and vanilla CoP is too dark, cloudy and with too much bad weather too really show off what the engine can do. Mods and tweaks can fix some of that - see my pics here and in the high res thread.

WanderingWind

Lostconfused said:
Yeah you better expand on that one. Because for now it seems like angry ranting.

Yeah, I am pissed. I just spent $20 on a game that is, as far as I can tell, fundamentally unfinished. Sound and visual glitches, ridiculous load times, exceptionally poor textures and draw distances, and horrific animations.

STALKER had a ton of problems too, but it had a very rough development. CoP was supposed to fix the technical issues. Not exacerbate them.

Again, if there are fixes of which I am not aware, please help a comrade out. I want to play this.

BeeDog

So what's the consensus so far? I've only played the first S.T.A.L.K.E.R. which was good but held back by many things (crappy end game, poor quests with time limits, crappy itemization/loot, narrow/small levels, broken economy system etc.). How much better is CoP? Does it hold up all the way to the end? Is it much more free-form? Does exploring/doing quests reward you well this time?

WanderingWind said:
Again, it takes more than 8 minutes to load the game, and again after any death. Draw distances are a complete joke. The game is coded so poorly, that my brand new PC that laughs at Crysis on max settings chugs and dies on this.

Unless I'm missing something, of course. I'd really like to give this a fair shot, but I've played with every setting and it's still garbage.

What render setting are you using?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
WanderingWind said:

You're probably missing something. I play this at 1080p 4xAA max dx10 settings (no SSAO) and it runs quite a bit better than crysis on my rig. Quick loading after a death takes me about 10 seconds at most.

Top Bottom