• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfool

Banned
CIG UK / Foundry 42

Too bad you didn't join in time for this:
bZPzprf.jpg

That Merlin is super slick! The "low" price is tempting, but I know that's only because in comparison my 315p is so lacking in detail and feels kinda drab at the moment.

They are apparently doing a design pass on the 300 series soon, so I'll wait and see what comes of that. Hopefully more space and internal features.

How much you want to bet there aren't going to be any headlines or articles on game news sites for the Merlin since it doesn't cost hundreds of dollars.

I really wish I could downgrade my ship, I'm sick of being stuck with this Hornet with no place to upgrade except for a Cutlass variant. I would like to go back to an Avenger or a 325a and the Merlin.

Zabojnik

The funny thing is that it means we're LESS likely to get inside information since once they've joined, they'll be NDA'd and presumably have little desire to ruin their career telling us stuff. :p

Speaking of ones of us'es, did Fiendish Feather land a job at CIG by any chance?

A new update in the status of the fps module:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14857-Star-Marine-Status-Update

I really like the weapon sounds, especially the one of the second weapon.

And there is also an update on the audio:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14853-Star-Citizen-Audio-Update
I like these detailed weekly updates. The animation video is very nice. Don't think people appreciate how difficult it is to make 1st and 3rd animations the same, while it still being usable in 1st person.

Finally I am now a part of Star Citizen :D

Downloading ~25GB atm but boy is it going slow. Painful at <500kb/s.

Really looking forward to FPS module and campaign. Is that also gonna be included for those getting in from the AMD promo? Please say yes.

KKRT00

Really looking forward to FPS module and campaign. Is that also gonna be included for those getting in from the AMD promo? Please say yes.

Whats Your status on the site? If You have access to alphas, You should have access to everything.

wsippel

Banned

On the RSI website, go to your hangar and click the little arrow in the bottom right corner of your package. That'll tell you what you have, exactly. There is no module pass for Star Marine yet, so you can't have that. Which means you only get it for free if you have alpha access. If you have beta access, each module pass is $5. But the passes can be melted down and will be melted and converted into UEC once the persistent universe launches as far as I know.

Anyone have any CCU ideas about what will be available for the MISC Reliant? Will CCU let you upgrade to any ship in the game if you follow the upgrade path correctly?

Zalusithix

The current messy CCU system will be dumped in the future, but I doubt anybody aside from the devs know how exactly the new system will be implemented. I think they're intending it to allow any ship to upgrade to any other ship directly. I can see them potentially limiting it to ships in the same size class to limit the exploiting of LTI though.

The current messy CCU system will be dumped in the future, but I doubt anybody aside from the devs know how exactly the new system will be implemented. I think they're intending it to allow any ship to upgrade to any other ship directly. I can see them potentially limiting it to ships in the same size class to limit the exploiting of LTI though.

That sounds great! Is there a link on more info on this?

Zalusithix

That sounds great! Is there a link on more info on this?
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/3691706/#Comment_3691706
Ben Lesnick (October 2014) said:
Beer also talked about how locking LTI and Alpha Access to a particular hull was a big deal. If a backer has a single Cutlass and chooses the ‘wrong’ one, he’s stuck with that as his special ship forever. To that I would say: just buy more Cutlasses! No, I’m kidding. Star Citizen should at its heard always work as a single-package purchase. In addition to the reasons above, we’re looking at a way to make this better on the platform side. We have not locked on to a particular solution yet, but some of the options we’re experimenting with include at some point letting backers turn their LTI and Alpha access into re-distributable tokens (possibly limited to a single ship jump), giving backers more freedom to ‘remove’ upgrade packs… or even redoing the web side ‘upgrade’ system to something more comprehensive than the current CCU process (essentially letting you jump back and forth with your hulls until a designated day when they’re finally locked.) That’s all an ongoing discussion because every one of these options has upsides and downsides for the ‘pre game’… but I can at least confirm that we won’t be doing nothing. (And in all that, let me again say: LTI doesn’t matter. It’s not a big deal, it’s not going to reduce your fun in any way not to have it.)
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14640-Monthly-Report-March
Monthly Report: March said:
CCU’s!

Don’t worry! We know how convoluted upgrading pledges is now that AC has that many flyable ships! We spent many hours in March to devise how the new CCU system will function. We are hoping to be tackling the development of this feature soon to replace the current very complicated flow.

Our current thinking is to allow you to upgrade by either starting with a ship you own or by choosing the ship you want to ugprade to. Both ways should be possible. In the case of the former you could see all potential upgrades and their pricing very easily from your hangar. For the latter, the store pages would allow you to see from which of your ships you can reach the designated destination ship.

Obviously, we want to get rid of the multi-step upgrade and allow you to go straight from an Aurora to a Freelancer if you so choose.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14690-Monthly-Report-April
Monthly Report: April said:
CCU system

As you know the current CCU system has been outgrown with so many ships now flyable. Design and basic implementation work has been done this month to bring you an alternate way to CCU. May should have more substantial progress on this subsystem. With more ships becoming flyable, this system will be required so that you can properly upgrade your existing Alpha/LTI pledges without sacrificing those precious items.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5106538/#Comment_5106538
Turbulent-Scott (May 2015) said:
Any new CCU system will keep the rule that all upgrades must be from flyable ship to flyable ship, except in some very specific cases, such as concept sale ships with variants (Reliant or Starfarer for instance)
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5083041/#Comment_5083041
Turbulent-Scott (May 2015) said:
Unfortunately a standalone ship cannot be upgraded to a package, it can however can be upgraded to another reliant variant, when they are released or to another ship entirely, keeping the LTI. As for the new CCU system it is currently in design, we are trying to make the experience as seamless as possible for the user.

There wasn't an update in the May/June monthly reports though, so I'm not sure when we'll actually see it or what exactly it will entail. They're obviously trying to go to a system that'll allow automated changes between hulls unlike the current one where every CCU is manually entered into the pledge store as an upgrade from X to Y hull for Z price. It's just that the finer details of how they'll do that and what, if any, restrictions they'll have in place is currently unknown.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/3691706/#Comment_3691706

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14640-Monthly-Report-March

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14690-Monthly-Report-April

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5106538/#Comment_5106538

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5083041/#Comment_5083041

There wasn't an update in the May/June monthly reports though, so I'm not sure when we'll actually see it or what exactly it will entail. They're obviously trying to go to a system that'll allow automated changes between hulls unlike the current one where every CCU is manually entered into the pledge store as an upgrade from X to Y hull for Z price. It's just that the finer details of how they'll do that and what, if any, restrictions they'll have in place is currently unknown.

Thank you very much, that's really great to read.

Zalusithix

I don't start up the game that often these days, but damn does it impress me every time I do. Went to look at the Merlin, and couldn't help but gawk at the detail crammed into what's effectively a sub-ship of the Connie. Can only imagine how great everything will look in the final engine with full release assets.
Full collection of screenshots: here

I don't start up the game that often these days, but damn does it impress me every time I do. Went to look at the Merlin, and couldn't help but gawk at the detail crammed into what's effectively a sub-ship of the Connie. Can only imagine how great everything will look in the final engine with full release assets.

Full collection of screenshots: here

I used some store credits to buy one yesterday. It's a beautiful ship and makes me want to consider melting down a Vanguard for a Constellation.

Not sure I'll ever do that though, the Vanguard is just too lovely.

Zalusithix

I used some store credits to buy one yesterday. It's a beautiful ship and makes me want to consider melting down a Vanguard for a Constellation.

Not sure I'll ever do that though, the Vanguard is just too lovely.

If you bought the Vanguard for the style of play that it'll allow, then melting it for the Connie probably isn't the best idea. They're rather different ships in pretty much every way. Then there's the whole melting a LTI ship for a non-LTI ship... Better to just keep the Vanguard - at least until the new CCU system is in place.

That said, I'm quite looking forward to the Vanguard becoming hanger ready myself. It's my favorite combat focused ship design to date.

Zalusithix

You only need to watch out that you don't cut yourself on the jaggies. This game really needs AA soon...

I could have thrown in supersampling while taking the pics, but that wouldn't exactly be an accurate portrayal of the game. But yeah, the lack of AA is probably the biggest weakness of the game as it stands. Shadows would be a second issue. The ships don't look grounded in the hanger as the landing struts don't cast shadows. It's still alpha though, and we're running on an outdated version of the engine, so I'm not terribly worried.

KKRT00

I could have thrown in supersampling while taking the pics, but that wouldn't exactly be an accurate portrayal of the game. But yeah, the lack of AA is probably the biggest weakness of the game as it stands. Shadows would be a second issue. The ships don't look grounded in the hanger as the landing struts don't cast shadows. It's still alpha though, and we're running on an outdated version of the engine, so I'm not terribly worried.

They do cast shadow, just shadow is low res and blurred and there are to many light sources casting shadows on it.

Yeah shader aliasing is pain in the ass, but they are working on it and they also have Ryse tech on their disposal, so in the end it will be fine.

Shy

That new Connie looks beautiful, can't wait to see what my Phoenix looks like.
Yep yep, me too. Soo hyped.
I start working on this in a week or so. Looking forward to it :)
Congratulations. Break a leg Sean.
LQdknyC.gif

Don't forget about us when you hit the big time.
Welcome.
If you want to join the GAF-ORG send a request with your GAF name, and i'll let you in.
I've been working at F42 for a year ;)
I've got you beat by 7 months :p
Noice, we got our own little secret network of spies. :p

Zalusithix

Noice, we got our own little secret network of spies. :p

Given their lack of reporting about working there until now, it's more like CIG had spies among us, rather than GAF having spies in CIG. ;)

Jokes aside, it's not really surprising that a large gaming board like GAF would have some members working on a given game once the dev team gets to a certain size. It's also not surprising that they'd choose to not mention it. Basically makes them a target for complaints and info requests when such things really aren't part of their job.

That said, it's always good to know that somebody working on the game is reading our comments, even if this isn't an official communications channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom