• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy

In another year, we might even be able to make use of being in an Org. ;)
N8X1zAX.gif

Yep yep, me too. Soo hyped.

Congratulations. Break a leg Sean.
LQdknyC.gif

Don't forget about us when you hit the big time.

Welcome.
If you want to join the GAF-ORG send a request with your GAF name, and i'll let you in.

Noice, we got our own little secret network of spies. :p

How do I sign up for this, I became a citizen not too long ago!

fanboi

Banned
Any word when we might be able to buy a capital ship instead of these puny fighters and what if? Waiting to jump on board until they are here.

I've tried playing the Basic Flight Training. Played it twice.

It's really great, except for two critical issues I can't wrap my head around (both times):

1) I reach the point where my shields are down and my weapons are disabled, introducing defense flares into the mix. I run out of missiles before I can defeat the drone, but the drone doesn't take any damage from my guns or my energy weapons and my missiles are permanently gone.

2) Missile locks mean little (at least to me). The missile locks on fine for me and fire, it chases the drone for a bit but then sorta drifts off? Are there flares I'm not seeing? My missiles can't give chase, but the drones' missiles are able to pull full 180-degree turns to give me chase. I don't understand this.

This game won't be fully ready 'till 2018. I can see it now.

Shy

I hope you don't have a Fractal Define R4 or else you'd be a complete copycat :p.
I need to ask you a really odd question, if you don't mind.
My table is only 17" deep, and i can only find the R4's case depth, but not how deep the feet are (i noticed in pics that the feet are offset inwards on the case)
So, i was wondering could you tell me the depth between the front of the forward feet and and the back of the rear feet, please.

Again sorry for asking this Daedardus.

wsippel

Banned
I've tried playing the Basic Flight Training. Played it twice.

It's really great, except for two critical issues I can't wrap my head around (both times):

1) I reach the point where my shields are down and my weapons are disabled, introducing defense flares into the mix. I run out of missiles before I can defeat the drone, but the drone doesn't take any damage from my guns or my energy weapons and my missiles are permanently gone.

2) Missile locks mean little (at least to me). The missile locks on fine for me and fire, it chases the drone for a bit but then sorta drifts off? Are there flares I'm not seeing? My missiles can't give chase, but the drones' missiles are able to pull full 180-degree turns to give me chase. I don't understand this.

This game won't be fully ready 'till 2018. I can see it now.
The tutorial worked perfectly fine when it was introduced, but recent updates broke it. In fact, I'm a bit surprised it works at all. It was supposed to kinda show what Squadron 42 might look like - and it did its job. Now that most backers already played it, CIG doesn't really give a fuck anymore.

Zalusithix

Well, finally decided to officially join the org, considering it looks like there's some actual organization effort going on now. Also updated the roster with my current ships.

Zalusithix

I'm kind of amused that currently the Phoenix is the ship owned by the most people. Granted the sheet is an extremely limited data set right now, but I still didn't expect to see 4 of them already.

Shy

I'm kind of amused that currently the Phoenix is the ship owned by the most people. Granted the sheet is an extremely limited data set right now, but I still didn't expect to see 4 of them already.
LOL, especially as it was a limited edition, and hasn't been on sale since.

Zalusithix

I'm pretty sure the limited count bit got screwed up and they allowed far more out into the wild than they were supposed to. Then again, a good chunk of them most likely got melted down later on to fund other, more specialized ships. Who knows how many are left now.

At any rate, GAF has hot-tubs to spare! (Likely to be the first thing everybody will strip out though - assuming it's even in the redesigned Phoenix.)

Shy

I'm pretty sure the limited count bit got screwed up and they allowed far more out into the wild than they were supposed to. Then again, a good chunk of them most likely got melted down later on to fund other, more specialized ships. Who knows how many are left now.
LOL true true.
At any rate, GAF has hot-tubs to spare! (Likely to be the first thing everybody will strip out though - assuming it's even in the redesigned Phoenix.)
lol, yeah i doubt it's gonna be in the redesign.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

Yeah, I got a kick out of that. Self-selection effect in action!

Well apparently it was capped out at 5,000 but that is stand alone sales. It is also included in the War, the Wing Commander and the Completionist pack. Which could explain and the increased amount of phoenixes we see in the wild as well.

Keep in mind the limited run for some of these ships only included stand alone ship sales.

Any word when we might be able to buy a capital ship instead of these puny fighters and what if? Waiting to jump on board until they are here.

The only capital ship I can recall for sale was the Javelin-class Destroyer. Extremely limited run for stand alone sales (2,500 iirc) and it is not military spec. It is repurposed for civilian and business use.

I guess you can also say the Idris frigates are as well though they are smaller ships. They were corvettes and smaller but redesigned and made larger. people who pledged for original corvette now have a frigate in addition to the stand alone sales they did after redesign. They are also stripped of all it's military grade weapons just like the Javelin.

The only way you can get the javelin was in the stand alone limited sale. You can still get an Idris if you purchase a War, the Wing Commander or the Completionist pack.

Purchasing the Completionist pack may give you the ability to purchase a Javelin but it is not included in the pack itself.

Shy

Well apparently it was capped out at 5,000 but that is stand alone sales. It is also included in the War, the Wing Commander and the Completionist pack. Which could explain and the increased amount of phoenixes we see in the wild as well.

Keep in mind the limited run for some of these ships only included stand alone ship sales.
Ahh, that's very true.

Zalusithix

As far as the completionist packs go, I'm guessing they don't amount to more than a rounding error on ship counts. They might have some statistical significance on the Idris counts, but that's about it. I can't imagine they've sold all that many $15,000 packages.

The only capital ship I can recall for sale was the Javelin-class Destroyer. Extremely limited run for stand alone sales (2,500 iirc) and it is not military spec. It is repurposed for civilian and business use.

I guess you can also say the Idris frigates are as well though they are smaller ships. They were corvettes and smaller but redesigned and made larger. people who pledged for original corvette now have a frigate in addition to the stand alone sales they did after redesign. They are also stripped of all it's military grade weapons just like the Javelin.

The only way you can get the javelin was in the stand alone limited sale. You can still get an Idris if you purchase a War, the Wing Commander or the Completionist pack.

Purchasing the Completionist pack may give you the ability to purchase a Javelin but it is not included in the pack itself.
I rather doubt that he'd want to spend the money that would be required to obtain capital ship via pledging. If you have that sort of cash to burn on the game, you don't need to worry about when you jump on board. Not that a capital ship would do you any good without many people to help fly it in the first place.

As far as the completionist packs go, I'm guessing they don't amount to more than a rounding error on ship counts. They might have some statistical significance on the Idris counts, but that's about it. I can't imagine they've sold all that many $15,000 packages.

I rather doubt that he'd want to spend the money that would be required to obtain capital ship via pledging. If you have that sort of cash to burn on the game, you don't need to worry about when you jump on board. Not that a capital ship would do you any good without many people to help fly it in the first place.

Probably not completionist, but who knows how many had enough to sink on the war pack. I am just saying there were more than the limited amount available and those that communicate about this game on a daily basis are most likely enthusiasts.

Yeah and about the Javelin and the Idris I was just informing and making no call whatsoever. I hear that there is a possibility to find and repair a capital ships in game (left over from wars?). As an explorer, making that find would be more interesting to me than trying to purchase one.

Zalusithix

Probably not completionist, but who knows how many had enough to sink on the war pack. I am just saying there were more than the limited amount available and those that communicate about this game on a daily basis are most likely enthusiasts.

Yeah and about the Javelin and the Idris I was just informing and making no call whatsoever. I hear that there is a possibility to find and repair a capital ships in game (left over from wars?). As an explorer, making that find would be more interesting to me than trying to purchase one.

Yeah, I only specifically mentioned the completionist pack, because the war pack could have very well sold quite a bit. It was really just myself musing on how little that mega pack really means in the grand scheme of things. Especially since that pack is often the one pointed to when people criticize SC's funding model.

In regards to finding/capturing a capital ship, yes... it'd be far more fun and interesting. Realistically they're not ships meant for one person anyhow. Putting forth a team effort to obtain one and then sinking the time into repairing, outfitting, and eventually flying the thing back into battle would be far more rewarding than just booting up the game on day one and walking onto the bridge. Not that anybody would likely be able to afford to fly the thing on day one anyhow. I'm guessing the repair bills won't come cheap...

Daedardus

I need to ask you a really odd question, if you don't mind.
My table is only 17" deep, and i can only find the R4's case depth, but not how deep the feet are (i noticed in pics that the feet are offset inwards on the case)
So, i was wondering could you tell me the depth between the front of the forward feet and and the back of the rear feet, please.

Again sorry for asking this Daedardus.

Oh I'm sorry but I'm not at home for the next week or so and I can't check. Have you tried pixel counting the feet from a high res sideways photograph? Should give you a rough estimate to see if it would fit. But I think it will be very close anyway, the feet are a bit deeper compared to the border but nothing too deep. Can't you put it on the ground? Mine rests on a fibreboard plate on the ground to protect it from most dirt, and the dust filters are pretty efficient.

Shy

Oh I'm sorry but I'm not at home for the next week or so and I can't check.
That's ok, you don't have to apologise, it's a pretty strange request.
Have you tried pixel counting the feet from a high res sideways photograph? Should give you a rough estimate to see if it would fit. But I think it will be very close anyway, the feet are a bit deeper compared to the border but nothing too deep.
I haven't tried that.
Can't you put it on the ground? Mine rests on a fibreboard plate on the ground to protect it from most dirt, and the dust filters are pretty efficient.
Unfortuantley, my room is small and there's nowhere on the floor to put it.

Daedardus

Don't like the way they are pushing subscriber only sales at Gamescom. If I'm paying $400 for a ship, $20 for an entrance ticket, why do I have to be paying an extra $10 just to be able to buy it. Seems like an artificial way to boost subscriber numbers, but I don't know what for since they have totally no need for reporting the numbers.

I haven't tried that.

Well, I did it really quickly and it comes out at 75% of the depth, or around 16" if I'm right. Seems like it would fit.

fanboi

Banned
Thanns for the answers regarding capital ships. Depending on price I might buy one when they are for sale and use in the gaf org.

Geist-

Don't like the way they are pushing subscriber only sales at Gamescom. If I'm paying $400 for a ship, $20 for an entrance ticket, why do I have to be paying an extra $10 just to be able to buy it. Seems like an artificial way to boost subscriber numbers, but I don't know what for since they have totally no need for reporting the numbers.

I guess they changed their minds about the exclusivity.

Disco Lando said:
Additional Info:
  • Concierge/Subscribers are getting into the event an hour early and therefore the store an hour early.
  • All folks attending the event will get an opportunity to buy ships in the Concierge Store.
  • All announced ships come with 2-Year Insurance.
  • Announced ships will be available to all Citizens via the website DURING the event.
  • Prices will be very similar or the same as they were when they were first sold (before applicable taxes like VAT.)
  • The exact duration of the sale will cover slightly before and after the Ewerk event. (Think 16:00 GMT to 22:00 GMT on August 7th, but TIMES ARE NOT FINAL.)
  • These are individual ship sales and not packages.
  • These are not CCU sales, as they are not being added to Arena Commander at this time.
Race you to Gamescom!

Edit: About the GAF clan. I've never played with GAF in any MMOs, what's a typical GAF clan like? Serious or casual? Do we try to stay competitive with other clans or do we just try to have fun? Just curious.

Well, I picked up Star Citizen along with a new rig and flight stick. I'm pretty stoked on this game! I just applied to the Gaf group as well.

It seems as if there was no changing of minds just nothing was clarified.

Original link:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14872-Gamescom-2015-Event-Details
These ships will also be available online during the event for those that can not attend.

Subscriber question asked shortly after on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3fc58r/gamescom_2015_event_details_roberts_space/
banditloaf said:
Hey! Everyone should have access to the ships during the presentation, not just subs and concierge. The extras at the event are subscriber/concierge-only.

Edit: About the GAF clan. I've never played with GAF in any MMOs, what's a typical GAF clan like? Serious or casual? Do we try to stay competitive with other clans or do we just try to have fun? Just curious.

I have played with a few gaf clans and it really depends. If they are some that want to be hardcore and casual then sometimes they make more than one gaf clan. I have played with gaffers in games like BF3, BF4, GW2, FFXIV and a few others. There is no "set" way a gaf clan behaves.

I definitely would recommend upgrading to windows 8.1 or above with this game btw. My CPU limitation was quite nicely reduced after upgrading to windows 10 due to this game supporting Direct X 11.2

Geist-

It seems as if there was no changing of minds just nothing was clarified.

Original link:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14872-Gamescom-2015-Event-Details

Subscriber question asked shortly after on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3fc58r/gamescom_2015_event_details_roberts_space/
You're probably right.

I have played with a few gaf clans and it really depends. If they are some that want to be hardcore and casual then sometimes they make more than one gaf clan. I have played with gaffers in games like BF3, BF4, GW2, FFXIV and a few others. There is no "set" way a gaf clan behaves.
Alright, that makes sense. So, what do we want to be for Star Citizen? Personally I tend to be a bit competitive, I enjoy the feeling of knowing we're at the top of the food chain and no one should fuck with us. But I understand that that's probably not what everyone wants.

tuxfool

Banned
I definitely would recommend upgrading to windows 8.1 or above with this game btw. My CPU limitation was quite nicely reduced after upgrading to windows 10 due to this game supporting Direct X 11.2

Not much point of that any more, might as well go whole hog on 10. It is anecdotal, but 10 to me feels snappier overall than 8.1

MrBig

Well, I did it really quickly and it comes out at 75% of the depth, or around 16" if I'm right. Seems like it would fit.

My R3 feet take up a 16.5" length if it is of any help. The back is only about .5" offset while the front is around 3.5" offset

You're probably right.

Alright, that makes sense. So, what do we want to be for Star Citizen? Personally I tend to be a bit competitive, I enjoy the feeling of knowing we're at the top of the food chain and no one should fuck with us. But I understand that that's probably not what everyone wants.

Seeing as the game isn't going to be out for a minimum of one year, probably closer to 2, there isn't a point to try to nail down the details yet.

Geist-

Seeing as the game isn't going to be out for a minimum of one year, probably closer to 2, there isn't a point to try to nail down the details yet.

For the PU release yes, but FPS and Multicrew are just around the corner and that seems like the best time to start ramping up the Organization. Especially since FPS+AC2.0+Planetside will lead directly to the PU Alpha (with 2-3 systems).

Raticus79

Relatively casual, but still aiming to play well, talk strategy and work through the game's progression. We're a tighter-knit members-only group, compared to the big Goonswarm-style orgs digging up ways to spam every new SC account with an invitation to reach 10000+ random members. That has some strengths and weaknesses - we won't see GAF owning half the map, but we'll at least know who we're playing with, and we'll have enough people to do some cool stuff.

I also manage the Diablo 3 clan and it's pretty laid back. We have some high-playtime folks and others who come and go as schedules allow.

No mandatory events or anything. I see leadership's role here as setting goals for the org and giving direction to people on what they can do to help (as time allows) and providing support along the way. That's one of the reasons I have that column regarding roles on the sheet - getting an idea of the kind of things people would be interested in doing, and out of that we get some ideas on what could be interesting things to work toward as a group.

One key activity as we get closer to release will be running some training sessions to share tips+tricks and help newer players skill up for combat. Fire up mumble, talk about our control configs, get things tuned and start getting into PVP practice within the org. Maybe run some tournaments to see who our aces are.

There's certainly room for both. I'd call myself a time-limited power gamer. No room for 30-hour raids any more but I do aim to do well when I play. Meanwhile, if people want to put in an hour here and there trucking in materials for constructing a trade depot or whatever with low pressure, that's helpful too.

Daedardus

The purpose of the GAF clan is that we have a better way to discuss the game without ever playing the game itself, in true GAF fashion.

Raticus79

Well, I picked up Star Citizen along with a new rig and flight stick. I'm pretty stoked on this game! I just applied to the Gaf group as well.

All right, I accepted it. Quote this to see the spreadsheet link if you want to add any details.

Just added columns for time zones and which input devices people are using.

Shy

Thanks so much for doing that. <3

I wish i knew that when i built my rig two years ago. :( i built it M-ATX style because i thought it wouldn't fit. ohh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom