• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyzard

Banned
Is it just me, or did the graphics used to be better a few months back...like more effects racing about. I upgraded graphics card from 780ti so 980ti so you'd think things would look better. Has been a few months since I played though. Spent most of my time racing but also in arena.

Maybe it's because I haven't set up trackir yet so it feels different.

demolitio

I'm expecting them to work on the sights, but even the shapes are counter-intuitive to me for a futuristic game since some of them function worse than modern sights.

Then again, the FPS gameplay is what scares me the most at this point. Love the ship combat but I'm in it for the whole package and hope the shooting feels good.

Is it just me, or did the graphics used to be better a few months back...like more effects racing about. I upgraded graphics card from 780ti so 980ti so you'd think things would look better. Has been a few months since I played though. Spent most of my time racing but also in arena.

Maybe it's because I haven't set up trackir yet so it feels different.

Nothing has gotten worse looking really, it is only up hill from here. In fact, since last year everything has only gotten better (PBR texturing for everything, better ship production, better more consistent effects work). Keep in mind also that a number of rendering features and pipelines are not even in the AC branch.

Seriously...I have never been so excited for one game. Not even Middle Earth Online (LOTRO)

If I have to wait 2 more years (with them building the universe) I'm ok. Just get me a game that's deeper than Destiny, with some Wing Commanderesque elements.

From a post over at the Imperial News Network. San Diego Comic Con

- In Star Citizen, focusing on building the universe. This is often different in games, movies, and TV shows where you come up with the story and then build the universe around it.

- Wing Commander was good guy vs bad guy in the vein of World War II - Kilrathi were Japanese and Confederation was the US. With Star Citizen, building the universe takes top priority and then tell stories within it.

- Focus in Star Citizen is to do what you want, be who you want, go where you want.

- Star Citizen takes inspiration from 13th century setting.

- UEE is spread out, struggling to maintain the empire. Only so much it can do to keep the empire together in the face of civil unrest and economic pressures.

- Squadron 42 is much more reminiscent of Wing Commander - big space epic where you play a UEE Navy pilot.

- Wing Commander based on WWII. Star Citizen based on the decline and fall of Rome.

- 30 major tentpole events that happen between present day and the beginning of Star Citizen (2940s)

- Wanted to build out the history of the universe, the corporations, the planets, the characters so that they would have a rich setting to tell a lot of stories.

- Vanduul - they’re analogous to the Visigoths - pushing in from the western side of the UEE.

- Banu are on the southern side of the UEE, not antagonistic. Merchants and traders. Analogous to North Africa and Middle East in Roman times.

- Xi’An are on the eastern side of the UEE. They are analogous to the Persian Empire or the Chinese. Very old, been around for 10,000 years. Cold standoff between the Xi’An and UEE. Trade and do business together but don’t trust each other. Similar to China and the US present day.

- Terra: Up and coming rising socioeconomic power. If Earth is Rome then Terra is Constantinople.

- Earth is the old guard. Terra is viewed as new and progressive.

- Terra and Earth have some tensions. These tensions will play out over the course of the PU.

More at the link. Most of what is posted above was known already, but I still love reading it.

Hopefully...4 days until I get my 970.

SDCC Panel on Youtube

Geist-

Seriously...I have never been so excited for one game. Not even Middle Earth Online (LOTRO)

If I have to wait 2 more years (with them building the universe) I'm ok. Just get me a game that's deeper than Destiny, with some Wing Commanderesque elements.

More at the link. Most of what is posted above was known already, but I still love reading it.

SDCC Panel on Youtube

There's probably a significant chance that the game can't live up to expectations just because of the sheer scale, but I can't understand how anyone who follows the game even a little bit can believe that they are actively trying to scam us out of our money. This group of people are some of the most passionate developers I've ever seen and it shows in every video, every article, and every interview.

tuxfool

Banned
There's probably a significant chance that the game can't live up to expectations just because of the sheer scale, but I can't understand how anyone who follows the game even a little bit can believe that they are actively trying to scam us out of our money. This group of people are some of the most passionate developers I've ever seen and it shows in every video, every article, and every interview.

That is because the people that are saying that don't follow the game, or are called Derek Smart.

Hastati

SDCC Panel on Youtube

I really like these parallels with Rome. That's a great base for storytelling and is pretty future proof (could do a lot of fun stuff in the future with the "fall" of the UEE and growing factions etc.). Remains to be seen if the SP will be any good, but I'm still very much looking forward to the persistent universe.

Pomerlaw

That is because the people that are saying that don't follow the game, or are called Derek Smart.

That's bs... There are a lot of valid critics about the game, where it is headed, the multiple delays, and the status of Arena Commander. As backers it is our job to test and give our opinion on the status of the game.

I for one would have hoped they would get the basics of flight control and balance right before shooting for all those stretch goals. They do run the risk of biting more than they can chew.

Zabojnik

So based on what was said on the latest ATV, at Gamescom we're getting a demo which includes:

- large world map
- local physics grid / multicrew
- quantum drive

Hopefully it's a good one and it puts some seemingly very angry people at ease.

epmode

Pre-emptive complaining:

I'll be much happier when these features are in the public build. It's hard to tell if the features are hacked together for an impressive stage demo or if they're actually working and ready for content creation.

Zalusithix

Pre-emptive complaining:

I'll be much happier when these features are in the public build. It's hard to tell if the features are hacked together for an impressive stage demo or if they're actually working and ready for content creation.

They've been pretty open in the past when they're hacking things together for a demo. The planet side landing sequence comes to mind.

Daedardus

So based on what was said on the latest ATV, at Gamescom we're getting a demo which includes:

- crashing stream
- no stream
- lots of waiting
- stuttering stream

Hopefully it's a good one and it puts some seemingly very angry people at ease.

Fixed for accuracy.

styl3s

Can you fly around in space yet in the game? The last time i check up on the game you could only hang out in your ship but not go out in space.

Been wanting to buy a ship but have been waiting till you could at least fly around.

Zalusithix

Can you fly around in space yet in the game? The last time i check up on the game you could only hang out in your ship but not go out in space.

Been wanting to buy a ship but have been waiting till you could at least fly around.

So you haven't looked at the game since before Arena Commander came out? Man, talk about having not looked at the game for a long time. Yes, you can fly (most) hanger ready ships.

"Can you fly around in space yet in the game? The last time i check up on the game you could only hang out in your ship but not go out in space.

Been wanting to buy a ship but have been waiting till you could at least fly around."

You've been able to fly (and dogfight online) for over a year now.

Giant Bomb has been talking about doing a Star Citizen video, but everyone except Drew seem to think the game is still just walking around in the hangar. I think a lot of people would be surprised at how good Arena Commander is.

Prat

I know this is not the place but, I have looked everywhere and still cannot find an answer.
I cannot open the freaking launcher, installed the game but at the moment to try to open the launcher to start downloading it, nothing happens... Te process is running on the task manager, but there's no launcher screen. Looked in the official forums and tried every solution proposed (update Windows (Win 7 64bit) and delete User folder). I don't think its the hardware requirements since I'm on a i7-4790k and 980ti. If anyone had this issue, please enlighten me T_T

Prat

Every time I open the launcher I get a UAC prompt. You sure it isn't being silently blocked from running on your user?

Oh my god.....
I found it, since I have an ASUS mobo I had to stop the Gamefirst 3 program...
Jesus Christ, why on earth?

These screens man. mhm
Fps_shot.jpg

Frame000324.jpg

Frame000270.jpg

Shy

I don't know if i asked this question before but, if one of you guys are a subscriber, could please send a question for Chris to answer.
Could they (RSI) add native steam controller support. Please.
These screens man. mhm
*drools* soon™

I don't know if i asked this question before but, if one of you guys are a subscriber, could please send a question for Chris to answer.
Could they (RSI) add native steam controller support. Please.

*drools* soon™

...it already has it. I use my 360 controller.

They look like personal suit versions of the m50 (which is also of course quite gorgeous).

I think they look like sports team suits, American Gladiator in space. Isn't that the FPS level that's in zero G in the red suit screenshot? Maybe that's the suits we wear in the FPS module on that map.

I think they look like sports team suits, American Gladiator in space. Isn't that the FPS level that's in zero G in the red suit screenshot? Maybe that's the suits we wear in the FPS module on that map.

Yeah, those are the SATA-ball suits for the zero G gun sport. I wonder what it all looks like in motion, I cannot wait.

2 weeks ago I said it would take 4 weeks to come out on the PTU. So that means 2 fridays from now (31st or that weekend).

What do you guys bet?

Yeah, those are the SATA-ball suits for the zero G gun sport. I wonder what it all looks like in motion, I cannot wait.

2 weeks ago I said it would take 4 weeks to come out on the PTU. So that means 2 fridays from now (31st or that weekend).

What do you guys bet?

That's sounds about right, 2-3 weeks.

Why do people always act this is some kind of graphical/visual marvel? I mean, I too would love to see it.

I take it you haven't played it? It's a gorgeous game that keeps getting better looking. Just look around for some high quality videos.

Why do people always act this is some kind of graphical/visual marvel? I mean, I too would love to see it.

Because it is and its a space game no less. Which will be a mmo that will look this game. Look it up though but remember that's its early.

Daedardus

Aside from the shader aliasing prevalent in the game, can you show us a game that's on the same level as this one in terms of lighting, textures and polygon count?

viveks86

Are those shots missing AO altogether? Everything looks insanely good except some minor aliasing and lack of AO. The first person shot above seems to have it (can't say for sure), but the character model shots above doesn't

Are those shots missing AO altogether? Everything looks insanely good except some minor aliasing and lack of AO. The first person shot above seems to have it (can't say for sure), but the character model shots above doesn't

SSDO samples near by colour so the AO is never really black like it is in most games. It is definitely there.

Also, Cryengine 3.6 reduced the amount and intensity of AO to make it more physically correct.

KKRT00

Because some people can look at finished assets and placeholders, and add the stuff they are working on together and see how game will look at the end.

This is the details they are aiming for ships:
Scythe_jan_update_c.jpg

And shots like this from pre-alpha builds:

Daedardus

Good news is that they finally finished the 64-bit conversion. Bad news is that they aren't getting anywhere with the ship's models. Which is more critical to the game than a FPS module in my opinion.

Good news is that they finally finished the 64-bit conversion. Bad news is that they aren't getting anywhere with the ship's models. Which is more critical to the game than a FPS module in my opinion.

I'm waiting on the Freelancer to get flyable so I can upgrade from my Hornet. Seems like it's taking forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom