• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy

Given their lack of reporting about working there until now, it's more like CIG had spies among us, rather than GAF having spies in CIG. ;)
bqddZ2B.gif

Jokes aside, it's not really surprising that a large gaming board like GAF would have some members working on a given game once the dev team gets to a certain size. It's also not surprising that they'd choose to not mention it. Basically makes them a target for complaints and info requests when such things really aren't part of their job.
True true, i wouldn't want anyone being harassed.
That said, it's always good to know that somebody working on the game is reading our comments, even if this isn't an official communications channel.
I find it a little scary that anybody from CIG is reading my posts.

My 980 Ti was delivered today, I can't wait to get home and try out the Merlin I rented. Hopefully I can maintain 60 fps now.

900p and it's easy. :)

Three days until I get my Freelancer MAX.

Spending $155 on a virtual ship seems crazy, but imo it's as close as I'm going to get to owning a Millennium Falcon.

Effect

I told myself I wouldn't be putting anymore money into this thing after my initial Aurora LN and Arena Commander purchase. However I'm liking how the P-52 Merlin looks and it's only $20. I know that's how they get you. Though with no refueling not sure how worth it will be really. At least that's the impression I've got from some videos. Unless that's just for the boost?

Anyone picked one up?

I honestly would like a Mustang Beta but don't want to upgrade my Aurora LN to it as I do like how the LN looks and still wondering if that might get a redesign of some kind. At least the interior.

Does anyone know what they're planning to do with the Avenger? Total redesign or will it have the same look just minor changes? I'm still holding onto mine but damn does it look ugly lol

I tried out the Merlin and I can't get a kill :( not buying it.

Shy

900p and it's easy. :)

Three days until I get my Freelancer MAX.

Spending $155 on a virtual ship seems crazy, but imo it's as close as I'm going to get to owning a Millennium Falcon.
Chris said the constellation Andromeda is the millennium falcon of this game, and the freelancer is serenity.

Hope i'm not coming across as rude, if you already knew that.

Chris said the constellation Andromeda is the millennium falcon of this game, and the freelancer is serenity.

Hope i'm not coming across as rude, if you already knew that.

Not rude at all. I'm about to join the SC family. :) We're all happy members of the UEE (well, unless you're Tavarin)

Imo... when I spend $150 on a virtual ship I can use whatever symbolic representation I choose for it. (notice how I qualified that with imo) Other than Nathan, I find the Firefly show to be forgettable. An adjective that will not apply to my MAX.

Let Chris think what he wants. :)

Shy

Not rude at all. I'm about to join the SC family. :) We're all happy members of the UEE (well, unless you're Tavarin)

Imo... when I spend $150 on a virtual ship I can use whatever symbolic representation I choose for it. (notice how I qualified that with imo) Other than Nathan, I find the Firefly show to be forgettable. An adjective that will not apply to my MAX.

Let Chris think what he wants. :)
Ahh, cool cool. don't forget when you get your ship package to join up to the GAF-ORG.

If you bought the Vanguard for the style of play that it'll allow, then melting it for the Connie probably isn't the best idea. They're rather different ships in pretty much every way. Then there's the whole melting a LTI ship for a non-LTI ship... Better to just keep the Vanguard - at least until the new CCU system is in place.

That said, I'm quite looking forward to the Vanguard becoming hanger ready myself. It's my favorite combat focused ship design to date.

Oh I'm with you definitely. I bought the Vanguard specifically for the play style that it supported. A Constellation may come later, but for now I'm more than pleased to own an Avenger, a Super Hornet and a Vanguard.

I'm looking forward to the Avenger variants, since I admittedly bought that ship exclusively based on aesthetics.

If you bought the Vanguard for the style of play that it'll allow, then melting it for the Connie probably isn't the best idea. They're rather different ships in pretty much every way. Then there's the whole melting a LTI ship for a non-LTI ship... Better to just keep the Vanguard - at least until the new CCU system is in place.

That said, I'm quite looking forward to the Vanguard becoming hanger ready myself. It's my favorite combat focused ship design to date.

Let me get this straight. If you "melt" an LTI ship and use the credits to buy another ship, you don't keep the LTI?

But, if you "CCU" the LTI ship and upgrade to a better ship, the LTI does carry over?

I'm just foggy on the difference.

edit: Also, I can pick any of the hangars as my default hangar on the web site, and it loads in the game. But, I don't actually own all those right? I only own the ones that I was awarded when buying ships or when buying hangars outright. Correct?

edit2: For people new to the game...

LTI = Life Time Insurance on your ship. If you ship gets blown up, you get another hull (without your upgrades) without having to buy in-game insurance once the game launches. LTI is no longer available to purchase except for the occasional concept sale. People sometimes buy concept ships just for the purpose of being able to transfer them over to better/different ships. However, concept ships (or any ship for that matter) is not eligible for CCUing (see below) until it is "hangar ready" or flyable, which is sometimes months after a concept sale. There are various grey/black market sites (some fairly well known) where older LTI packages or LTI ships are still available.

CCU = Cross Chassis Upgrades, which let you start with a smaller ship and upgrade to a larger ship by paying the difference in price. If you have a small ship with LTI, you can upgrade to a more expensive ship and transfer the LTI to the more expensive ship. This current system is a bit complicated and will soon be replaced. Here is a link to the current system. https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...nd-upgrade-system-the-diagram-now-interactive

"Melting" used to let you trade in your ship for store credits and then spent the credits on another ship, or something to that effect, but I still haven't figured out if there is a difference between "melting" and CCUing because I haven't tried any of that stuff yet.

Let me get this straight. If you "melt" an LTI ship and use the credits to buy another ship, you don't keep the LTI?

But, if you "CCU" the LTI ship and upgrade to a better ship, the LTI does carry over?

edit: Also, I can pick any of the hangars as my default hangar on the web site, and it loads in the game. But, I don't actually own all those right? I only own the ones that I was awarded when buying ships or when buying hangars outright. Correct?

As some who is just diving in to the game, I'd humbly like to make a request to those already established: please don't use initialisms or acronyms (or neologism at all really) without definition.

What is an LTI?

What is CCU?

As some who is just diving in to the game, I'd humbly like to make a request to those already established: please don't use initialisms or acronyms (or neologism at all really) without definition.

What is an LTI?

What is CCU?

I went back and edited my original post. See above or below.

starbuck2907 said:

edit2: For people new to the game...

LTI = Life Time Insurance on your ship. If you ship gets blown up, you get another hull (without your upgrades) without having to buy in-game insurance once the game launches. LTI is no longer available to purchase except for the occasional concept sale. People sometimes buy concept ships just for the purpose of being able to transfer them over to better/different ships. However, concept ships (or any ship for that matter) is not eligible for CCUing (see below) until it is "hangar ready" or flyable, which is sometimes months after a concept sale. There are various grey/black market sites (some fairly well known) where older LTI packages or LTI ships are still available.

CCU = Cross Chassis Upgrades, which let you start with a smaller ship and upgrade to a larger ship by paying the difference in price. If you have a small ship with LTI, you can upgrade to a more expensive ship and transfer the LTI to the more expensive ship. This current system is a bit complicated and will soon be replaced. Here is a link to the current system. https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...nd-upgrade-system-the-diagram-now-interactive

"Melting" used to let you trade in your ship for store credits and then spent the credits on another ship, or something to that effect, but I still haven't figured out if there is a difference between "melting" and CCUing because I haven't tried any of that stuff yet.

Zalusithix

Correct. When you melt a ship or package, you lose access to everything that was in it. You'll get reimbursed the monetary cost of of the whole thing and lose everything that comprised it. You can't (at this time) pick and choose what to keep and what to melt. It's an all or nothing affair. Using a CCU, on the other hand, will change the ship, but everything else will remain the same - including whether the resulting ship has LTI.

As for the hangers, you should be able to choose from any of the ones given to you in the packages/ships that you've bought. I legitimately have access to them all, so I'm not sure if they're all showing up for everybody regardless of purchases. Assuming that they are, then when the game goes live, you'll only have access to the ones you have bought. From there you'll have to buy them in game.

I find it a little scary that anybody from CIG is reading my posts.

I make hard copies for posterity too...

I might try and answer questions every now and then in here (as I do on the forums/subreddit) because unlike former companies I can actually interact somewhat with the community rather than being put behind the PR shield.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I make hard copies for posterity too...

I might try and answer questions every now and then in here (as I do on the forums/subreddit) because unlike former companies I can actually interact somewhat with the community rather than being put behind the PR shield.

Have you guys gotten pizza or booze or whatever sent by the backers lately? It seemed to happen all the time in the first year of the project, judging by the Wingman's Hangar videos. They never mention it these days on Around the Verse.

Can't speak for other studios but at F42 we do still get food and drink, less regularly than earlier on as it now seems to be concentrated around holidays. It just gets devoured a lot quicker than before as a box of treats doesn't last long between 100+ people versus 20 a year ago!

That said we do get a lot more non-edible stuff, the other month a few Orgs sent us a bunch of t-shirts and polo shirts. We've had some really nice high quality framed Org posters and plaques as well turn up recently.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Wow, they look great!

Fuckin' Star Citizen, man. This game is gonna look fantastic
one day

Can't speak for other studios but at F42 we do still get food and drink, less regularly than earlier on as it now seems to be concentrated around holidays. It just gets devoured a lot quicker than before as a box of treats doesn't last long between 100+ people versus 20 a year ago!

That said we do get a lot more non-edible stuff, the other month a few Orgs sent us a bunch of t-shirts and polo shirts. We've had some really nice high quality framed Org posters and plaques as well turn up recently.

Oh good, that's cool. It's neat that backers do that. I really thought about sending pizza to the Austin offices back when they were pretty small and pretty much everyone there had been introduced to backers. Never got around to it, though...

Daedardus

Wow, that detail. The second face's eyebrows are off though, seems like there's a gap in them. By 2945 you would expect women to know how to pluck their eyebrows. And I really hope we see good hair in the game. It doesn't need to be full on HairWorks 2.0 demo, but a wide range of haircuts and good lighting would do a lot already. Hair in most games looks way too plastic compared to real life.

Zalusithix

Guy decided to match the Quantum Drive audio to the quantum drive fx released by Chris Olivia resulting in this.

https://youtu.be/jus_cJ0KxzM

Admittedly inaccurate as part of the video takes place in a wormhole, but still awesome nonetheless.

Interesting, but we play from a first person perspective, so how it looks from there is more important. Imagining that sequence from the cockpit is comparatively underwhelming. The best part was the ship deformation/warping. Take that away and you're left with a dark, blurry, and disorienting tunnel.

Interesting, but we play from a first person perspective, so how it looks from there is more important. Imagining that sequence from the cockpit is comparatively underwhelming. The best part was the ship deformation/warping. Take that away and you're left with a dark, blurry, and disorienting tunnel.

I don't think you play those portions in first person because you have to navigate those jump points successfully to chart them iirc. You cannot properly see whats ahead if it is in FP view and the consequences for failing might even be the loss of ship. Since most videos so far show these jumps in third person, it really might be a fixed third person minigame of sorts.

Zalusithix

I don't think you play those portions in first person because you have to navigate those jump points successfully to chart them iirc. You cannot properly see whats ahead if it is in FP view and the consequences for failing might even be the loss of ship. Since most videos so far show these jumps in third person, it really might be a fixed third person minigame of sorts.

I'm not sure the whole active navigation thing was ever confirmed to be a gameplay mechanic, or just something they were looking at. Solid information regarding jump point mechanics is virtually non-existent. I have a feeling a lot of it is still in flux. Perhaps they'll go third person and make it an active experience. Perhaps they'll make them active from a first person and tweak the effect. Or they'll just make them passive loading devices ala E:D where we watch a pretty sequence.

Edit: Or perhaps it'll end up a combination of the above. First time through is an active effect piloted from first person and looks/behaves differently. Subsequent passes flip to a third person cinematic.

Whats Your status on the site? If You have access to alphas, You should have access to everything.
On the RSI website, go to your hangar and click the little arrow in the bottom right corner of your package. That'll tell you what you have, exactly. There is no module pass for Star Marine yet, so you can't have that. Which means you only get it for free if you have alpha access. If you have beta access, each module pass is $5. But the passes can be melted down and will be melted and converted into UEC once the persistent universe launches as far as I know.
Just looked it up. Aw, sadly I only have beta access :(
5 buck per module is ok I think? I mean there will be only two, right? Campaign and FPS module? Just read OP, ok there are several modules but still ok. And there's always future sales.
Good to know I can acquire modules by just playing the game too.
Welcome.
If you want to join the GAF-ORG send a request with your GAF name, and i'll let you in.
Done :D

tuxfool

Banned
I'm not sure the whole active navigation thing was ever confirmed to be a gameplay mechanic, or just something they were looking at. Solid information regarding jump point mechanics is virtually non-existent. I have a feeling a lot of it is still in flux. Perhaps they'll go third person and make it an active experience. Perhaps they'll make them active from a first person and tweak the effect. Or they'll just make them passive loading devices ala E:D where we watch a pretty sequence.

Edit: Or perhaps it'll end up a combination of the above. First time through is an active effect piloted from first person and looks/behaves differently. Subsequent passes flip to a third person cinematic.

I thought the intended form to play the game was always from first person view. All the other viewing modes are just there for secondary purposes (like screenshotting etc.).

Zalusithix

I thought the intended form to play the game was always from first person view. All the other viewing modes are just there for secondary purposes (like screenshotting etc.).

Generally speaking, yes. The game is played from the first person perspective. All the information needed is only available from that perspective. Hence the active jump point interaction doesn't mesh well with the provided videos/artwork. It'll be nigh near impossible to navigate something like that from first person. Likewise, the effect itself isn't as impressive from a first person perspective.

That leaves us with a only a few possibilities for jumping:
  • It's a third person mini-game with something akin to the current effects.
  • It's not active at all. Just a visual while the next area loads.
  • It's active in first person, but looks different than what we have seen.

I'll have my first package within 24 hours.

Not the Freelancer MAX like I'd planned, but still a nice little vessel for exploration.

I'm going to need that extra $80 I would have spent on the MAX to help pay for the GTX 970 I'm also getting in the next 24 hours.

Almost an official backer folks.

Information is not quite non-existant at all. CR has repeated the same things in the 10 for the chairman and showed video at the pax townhall but what he said about it is that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phk-0zch1NI
Question 4
6:20
It's definitely going to be more of a transitional effect through a warp tunnel. If you're navigating the jump point for the first time it's definitely pretty dangerous, you'll almost have to surf it, like you're trying to stay on the warp-wave until you've ridden it out at the other end of the rip in the space-time continuum. Once you've done that you'll have the transitional effect as I mentioned before, but it's the same effect you just don't need to pilot it yourself. So it won't be an instantaneous hop, but there will be some kind of warp environment that you'd go through.

So it seems as if it is an active mechanic for an unmapped Jump point and after it is mapped you wouldn't need to do it again. The only thing not hammered down is that is if it is always in first place and how it would look. TBH like tuxfool mentioned the talk has been that the game should be FPS through and through, I am just cannot see how this works without being very difficult in FPS. Unless the final form looks more accessible than what is presented at first. Nothing would be more frustrating than to fail a navigation because of something you couldn't see or predict.

I'll have my first package within 24 hours.

Not the Freelancer MAX like I'd planned, but still a nice little vessel for exploration.

I'm going to need that extra $80 I would have spent on the MAX to help pay for the GTX 970 I'm also getting in the next 24 hours.

Almost an official backer folks.

I imagine you would want a DUR for exploration not a MAX (A DUR is slightly cheaper). But given how things seem so far, the smaller your ship is the lest onboard tools, the least means of generating a profit by exploration. While things haven't fully been fleshout on that end CR did talk about this in his 10ftc episode 4, where he wants more than just charting a jump point, or finding a new system to give value to the act of exploring. But with talk of specific NavDrive to record flight through jump point (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/12833-UEE-Queries-Jump-Points) , one could surmise that the act of exploring in smaller ships would require finding and documenting things unknown on travels. Maybe even in known systems they may have missed asteroid field or planet. But the trade of would be the distance a ship can travel before having to refuel.

I considered those things as well while getting ships that I would consider mainly for exploration.

Information is not quite non-existant at all. CR has repeated the same things in the 10 for the chairman and showed video at the pax townhall but what he said about it is that.

Question 4

So it seems as if it is an active mechanic for an unmapped Jump point and after it is mapped you wouldn't need to do it again. The only thing not hammered down is that is if it is always in first place and how it would look. TBH like tuxfool mentioned the talk has been that the game should be FPS through and through, I am just cannot see how this works without being very difficult in FPS. Unless the final form looks more accessible than what is presented at first. Nothing would be more frustrating than to fail a navigation because of something you couldn't see or predict.

I imagine you would want a DUR for exploration not a MAX (A DUR is slightly cheaper). But given how things seem so far, the smaller your ship is the lest onboard tools, the least means of generating a profit by exploration. While things haven't fully been fleshout on that end CR did talk about this in his 10ftc episode 4, where he wants more than just charting a jump point, or finding a new system to give value to the act of exploring. But with talk of specific NavDrive to record flight through jump point (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/12833-UEE-Queries-Jump-Points) , one could surmise that the act of exploring in smaller ships would require finding and documenting things unknown on travels. Maybe even in known systems they may have missed asteroid field or planet. But the trade of would be the distance a ship can travel before having to refuel.

I considered those things as well while getting ships that I would consider mainly for exploration.

I know the ship specs/designs aren't final, but..

1) I prefer the look of the MAX to the DUR
2) While the DUR is "better" for exploration, the MAX can be fitted so that it can be used for exploration as well. It'll probably never be as good at is as would the DUR, but the MAX will have more earning potential. Imo the MAX is the best of both worlds

Oh..and the 315p (which I'm getting) is probably the best "small" exploration vehicle.

I'll pick up a max closer to PU release. The 315 is my buy in to Squadron 42.

Oh..and the 315p (which I'm getting) is probably the best "small" exploration vehicle.

It's pretty much the only exploration ship that doesn't require multi-crew at this point, I think... Which is why I'm really hoping that the upcoming 300 series design pass really nails the 315p exploration stuff.

It's pretty much the only exploration ship that doesn't require multi-crew at this point, I think... Which is why I'm really hoping that the upcoming 300 series design pass really nails the 315p exploration stuff.

The mustang beta is also an exploration ship. It is cheaper has more cargo space and a living quarters but isn't as strong as the 315p nor does it have a jump point scanner.

So you could say the beta is the cheapest solo ship dedicated to the role of exploration.

I know the ship specs/designs aren't final, but..

1) I prefer the look of the MAX to the DUR
2) While the DUR is "better" for exploration, the MAX can be fitted so that it can be used for exploration as well. It'll probably never be as good at is as would the DUR, but the MAX will have more earning potential. Imo the MAX is the best of both worlds

I'll pick up a max closer to PU release. The 315 is my buy in to Squadron 42.

I agree the MAX looks better. Congrats on joining the fleet!

Zalusithix

Question 4

Somebody needs to compile all the video based factoids in a wiki. =P

Anyhow, assuming plans haven''t changed from back then, it certainly means that what we've seen can't possibly be a realistic representation of what we'll actually be doing during the mapping phase. The only way the shown tunnel would be remotely flyable would be if the ship rendered an AR sort of overlay on the tunnel giving a clearer view of how to maneuver the ship within it.

Post-mapping, I can potentially see a cinematic like shown in the video playing in the place of it, but it'd still be kind of jarring to be pulled out of first person. This is especially the case for anybody that's a passenger on the ship and not necessarily privy to when exactly the jump is going to occur. It's one thing to get transitioned to third person when you're initiating the jump and thus expecting it to happen. It's another thing when you're off at some windowless part of the ship doing something else, and then have your view ripped away from you.

Somebody needs to compile all the video based factoids in a wiki. =P

Anyhow, assuming plans haven''t changed from back then, it certainly means that what we've seen can't possibly be a realistic representation of what we'll actually be doing during the mapping phase. The only way the shown tunnel would be remotely flyable would be if the ship rendered an AR sort of overlay on the tunnel giving a clearer view of how to maneuver the ship within it.

Post-mapping, I can potentially see a cinematic like shown in the video playing in the place of it, but it'd still be kind of jarring to be pulled out of first person. This is especially the case for anybody that's a passenger on the ship and not necessarily privy to when exactly the jump is going to occur. It's one thing to get transitioned to third person when you're initiating the jump and thus expecting it to happen. It's another thing when you're off at some windowless part of the ship doing something else, and then have your view ripped away from you.

That is a good point. It could be possible that the cinematic view is only initiated for the person flying the ship as the other crew members do not need to see that information. If the subsystems keep track of what people are doing then their contributions will apply regardless of what view a specific person is using to play the game.

Or as you said this has been reworked and renders all this speculation moot. I have a feeling most of the traversal mechanics will be shown to us in the S42 so if people choose to play the scenario we might experience that stuff. It seems they have alot under wraps. For some crazy reason I have believe it will turn out well.

Zalusithix

Oh, I definitely have faith that whatever they do will work out in the end. It might need tweaking during player testing, but I doubt they'll fail to take into account major stuff like what I've brought up. All we can do at the moment, however, is speculate on things based on the table scraps we've been given.

As for S42 having jumps... I'm guessing it'll have something or another to teach us the ropes on how to map an uncharted jump point. Perhaps they'll leave it optional so only those interested in exploring will have to take it on. (Have the AI do it if the player doesn't want to.) If it's not in S42 proper, then it'd have to be available as a separate tutorial. Nobody is going to want to throw caution to the wind and perform their first jump with their own ship.

I haven't been this happy to be so broke in awhile.

GTX 970...bought.

Origin 315P...bought.

I'm officially a contributor...listening to the install music...AMAZING.
HappyMy315p.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom