• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is the IQ in the hanger so bad compared to the actual dogfighting?

What do you mean by IQ. AS in actual image quality? Like Aliasing is more prevalent in the Hangar?

Or do you mean the shading is better elsewhere?

The game uses the same engine all areas of the game Hangar and AC. If anything, the reason why it may look worse in the hangar is because there are no dynamic movement of lights in the hangar, where in the AC you are constantly moving showing off how changing lighting conditions effect the shading.

Yeaaah, but ... I don't know. Too simplistic, too samey and too evenly lit.

Yeah, it does need more work for sure but I did find it refreshing to see an interior that isn't dark and grey like most of the other ships so far are. That being said, the Redeemer still runs away with it for me.

Edit: Yeaaaaah, 3Dingo third place!

Zabojnik

Congrats Four Horsemen!

Honestly I could've voted either way. Shard's ship makes 'more sense' in a way, mostly because of their more conventional / realistic engine design, but my gut tells me 4H.

I was mostly in sync with the general sentiment of Shard having the much better aesthetic, but 4H's general package and interior was better.

3 Dingo's interior and presentation was amazing, but I thought Shimipan was the most unique (3Dingo was a visually busy Pelican from Halo.)

Vlodril

Shimapan was by far the best for 3rd place. i like their textures a lot too. Too bad.

Also that freelancer add was fantastic. I am not spending any more money in game (after getting the aurora ln) since i want to get the full experience in game but that looked phenomenal. Very strong firefly vibes (which was their intention i am sure).

Zabojnik

RSI's live streams always come with a seasoned dose of awkward hah, it's endearing.

I thought tonight's live event went very, very well, actually. The judges were awesome, the guys from both teams weren't too awkward at all, considering who we're talking about here. Neeeerds. :p The audience was great too. And Sandi was enchanting, as always. <3

I pretend another season of TNGS!

a916

Am I the only one that thinks those two ships in the contest are better made (especially textures/shaders let alone concept) than the ones the actual developers made?

Am I the only one that thinks those two ships in the contest are better made (especially textures/shaders let alone concept) than the ones the actual developers made?

Chris Roberts himself said that the in-studio artist felt they had to step it up now. Hehe. I'm sure we will see much more radical and polished designs from now on.

Chris made mention of this in the speech at the end actually. He said how their designs are pushing their internal artists to be better and push more detail essentially.

I thought tonight's live event went very, very well, actually. The judges were awesome, the guys from both teams weren't too awkward at all, considering who we're talking about here. Neeeerds. :p The audience was great too. And Sandi was enchanting, as always. <3

I pretend another season of TNGS!

It did; they are definitely getting better each time they do one. This time they almost made it... it was just the ending where you could see it starting to fall apart a bit! Sandi has gotten a lot better at presenting too.

And hear hear, this has been a fun watch - hopefully the next season won't be too far away.

What do you mean by IQ. AS in actual image quality? Like Aliasing is more prevalent in the Hangar?

Or do you mean the shading is better elsewhere?

The game uses the same engine all areas of the game Hangar and AC. If anything, the reason why it may look worse in the hangar is because there are no dynamic movement of lights in the hangar, where in the AC you are constantly moving showing off how changing lighting conditions effect the shading.

As in actual image quality, ie aliasing. Used IQ for a reason :p Everything shimmers, and nothing seems to have any kind of AA where in space everything looks pretty clean.

AxeMan

Anyone else getting an error trying to view the Freelancer commercial on the site?

I get told that 'this video is unavailable' on a static background

ASTROID2

Going through my screenshots and don't know how I pulled off the screenshot. Think it was when I ejected.
screenshot0014shfi3.jpg

metalshade

Thanks MrBig for bringing VoiceAttack to my attention, this is really gonna help streamline the power management and weapon grouping huds, as well as just making everything 110% MORE COOLER!

Can't wait to get this running with an Oculus and a Hotas, my wife is going to get very jealous of my Cutlass.

Is the game crashing for anyone else? Playing on Very High. I get a good frame rate, but eventually the game just freezes up.

CPU: i5-3570K (oc @ 4.5GHz)
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB

EmpReb

Banned
It's a bit weird that space sim combat is basically World War 2 instead of automated Newtonian XTREME RANGE standoffs. Space sims are all about concessions made in the name of fun.
Strange I found away around that for my Sci-Fi Story(Will have something soon) but you do have to break a few rules of reality to make my system work.

Suddenly I need to buy a Freelancer.

I'm thinking the same thing. That commercial was perfect. I want something larger to augment my Origin 315p Explorer. I feel like I'm going to need to smuggle things across the 'verse as if I was Mal or Han to make some space bucks and the Freelancer would be a suitable vessel.

I've enjoyed the dogfighting pre-alpha. I typically will die in the fifth wave though. Any advice for people who are actually good at it?

Hastati

I'm thinking the same thing. That commercial was perfect. I want something larger to augment my Origin 315p Explorer. I feel like I'm going to need to smuggle things across the 'verse as if I was Mal or Han to make some space bucks and the Freelancer would be a suitable vessel.

I've enjoyed the dogfighting pre-alpha. I typically will die in the fifth wave though. Any advice for people who are actually good at it?

What's doing you in? Remember to use flares and target hunters/uniques first! Also, it's really easy to randomly die right now, either from enemies crashing into you (dead or alive) or crashing into shit that you can't see (I really wish the game gave you an estimate of distance or some further information about what exactly you are approaching). I think round 5 is the first hunter? Go for him first, the missiles can kill you quickly.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Well I said I wasn't going to buy another ship and I guess I failed miserably on that front. So I grabbed the Freelancer MIS, because I can't say no to a missile boat and I aim to misbehave.

SpyGuy239

Wait, so the Redeemer beat the Boomslang and 3dingo came third over IXM? How could it all go so wrong... :(

My thoughts exactly.

There were so many designs that I preferred in the eliminated pool.

Not saying the winner isn't sexy, but I thought the others deserved more love ):

Anyone else feel the same?

So guys I got my Saitek X55 which is great and I'll be doing a review of it, but I've also started using a program called voice attack. You can see it in action here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6cK4cAT-a4
I can't even begin to describe how cool it's been to use so far, and even more than immersive, it's actually helpful with extra binds you don't want to worry about stretching for on your keyboard/joystick/Hotas. It just recognizes voice commands then uses a macro you've set in conjunction with it. As you can see in the video, you can even set up sound files to play or text to speech to play after commands are given. Yes your dream of saying, "Helm, warp one engage." has finally come true. It's truly an incredible tool every star citizen should have. There are several free programs that do similar things I've tried, but none of them even come close to the responsiveness and functionality this one has. It's currently $8 US.

By the way, here is the start of a repository for AI responses I've created for my ship when I use voice commands. If you decide to use a voice command software, feel free to use them. I'd also like to possibly get some people interested in recording voice over stuff to use for AI ships if that sounds fun to anyone.

Here is a joke one I did for voice command "Target Forward; Target Front" (yes you can load multiple phrases per single macro.)

onken

Total noob question but are you supposed to do when you run out of ammo? I got to about wave 5 and then I couldn't do anything other than fly around and get blasted since I couldn't fight back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom