• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irobot82

So I just loaded up the game and all of a sudden I am in the fancy hangar and the TNGS entrant that has the plier engines is in the hangar. Anyone else seeing this?

edit: N/M

Zabojnik

Someone better screencap & webm that shit as soon as it shows up. :p

Showing the two finalists in the hangar is a brilliant idea.

ASTROID2

Checking out my new ships.
screenshot0009ene61.jpg

screenshot0008lbdwm.jpg

Also noticed this update got rid of all my screenshots again. Would have liked to have had a warning like last time.

Absinthe

This patch is awesome, can't wait to get home and download it. I can't believe a new patch came out so soon!

Freelancer DUR, $140:
FreelancerDUR.jpg

Freelancer MAX, $155:
FreelancerMAX.jpg

Freelancer MIS, $180, "For when you aim to misbehave!"
01laugh.gif
:
FreelancerMIS.jpg

[edit]

Ask and you shall receive, inadvertently, heh

So do they charge you for the Ship + Game access? And once I have game access is there any other way to get a new ship other than to buy it with real money?

I'm not sure I follow how they have this all configured. ELI5

Not being able to go inside is seriously disappointing. Maybe they'll still get a patch for that out, the interiors are a big part of the competition.

MrBig

So do they charge you for the Ship + Game access? And once I have game access is there any other way to get a new ship other than to buy it with real money?

I'm not sure I follow how they have this all configured. ELI5

Buying the game is buying the Aurora MR, other things are a bonus for people that want to throw money at the project. There isn't much of a game at the moment, but when the game launches in a year or two playing it will be the only way to really buy things, you wont be able to purchase ships after it releases.

Until then, though you'd have to pay to play around with other ships in the pre-release test modules.

From the OP:
I haven't bought into this project before now, how do I buy and play this? Aurora MR+ package and the Arena Commander pass are required ($45 total). Later test module releases will require separate $5 tokens for each one (different module details follow this section). Buying the Aurora MR+ package will give you access to the games beta state (which would be the Persistent Universe) and the final game, including the Squadron 42 campaign, Star Citizen PU, and private servers.

Three months of feedback that boobs on the Freelancers looked stupid and they didn't do anything about it :(

Now I don't know what to get. I primarily want to play as explorer so DUR is the variant for me, but MAX looks nicest by default because of no boobs.

Bleh

Absinthe

Buying the game is buying the Aurora MR, other things are a bonus for people that want to throw money at the project. There isn't much of a game at the moment, but when the game launches in a year or two playing it will be the only way to really buy things, you wont be able to purchase ships after it releases.

Until then, though you'd have to pay to play around with other ships in the pre-release test modules.

From the OP:

Ok thank you! I may pick this up to compliment my DK2 next month, it looks incredible!

So after launch there will be no other way to get a new ship? You're stuck with the beginner ship if you did not buy one by then?

Ok thank you! I may pick this up to compliment my DK2 next month, it looks incredible!

So after launch there will be no other way to get a new ship? You're stuck with the beginner ship if you did not buy one by then?

Do things in game, get in game credit, buy new ship.

MrBig

You can get whatever ships you want after launch, much like you could buy whatever car you wanted now if you had the credits for it. Star Citizen's persistent universe will have a large scale simulated economy in which you could do all sorts of things for credits.

Absinthe

Do things in game, get in game credit, buy new ship.

You can get whatever ships you want after launch, much like you could buy whatever car you wanted now if you had the credits for it. Star Citizen's persistent universe will have a large scale simulated economy in which you could do all sorts of things for credits.

That makes much more sense. I figured I was reading it wrong, thanks for explaining.

How big a deal is not having LTI? I'm interested in jumping in but worried I've already passed on something I'll regret by not jumping in earlier. I should've gotten a 300i when they were still offering LTI, durn it. =/

masterkajo

How big a deal is not having LTI? I'm interested in jumping in but worried I've already passed on something I'll regret by not jumping in earlier. I should've gotten a 300i when they were still offering LTI, durn it. =/

I was too late for LTI too. It's not really a big deal though. You get insurance for your ship when you purchase a game package and you can simply extend it by paying a small ingame fee. Similar to a car insurance. The early backers simply don't have to pay these small fees for the ship hull insurance.

CTLance

I dunno... the DUR (terribad name) doesn't look like it'll have that much of an advantage over the vanilla v-- what just happened to my wallet? Why do I have a 15USD charge from RSI on my credit card!

Joking aside, I know I really shouldn't spend any more on this, but I just could not resist the DUR upgrade to round out my "portfolio". Now I have all bases covered, sort of. Exploration with the DUR, smallscale skirmishes with the Cutlass (&Aurora LX+LN while the Cutlass is on cooldown), racing with the 350R, and being a juicy target with the Starfarer.

Still, feels really bad to fail a self-imposed spending ban. :-/

Not a big deal. LTI only applies to a ship's hull and not any modifications or cargo onboard. Everyone will have to pay insurance fees for their ships. Early backers just pay a bit less. It will not be any sort of significant advantage.

How do I upgrade my hangar? Seeing the deluxe one was crazy and I think I would like a business one.

EDIT: Found it....$20! Madness.
Guess I will be stuck with my old hangar for a while...

I dunno... the DUR (terribad name) doesn't look like it'll have that much of an advantage over the vanilla v-- what just happened to my wallet? Why do I have a 15USD charge from RSI on my credit card!

Joking aside, I know I really shouldn't spend any more on this, but I just could not resist the DUR upgrade to round out my "portfolio". Now I have all bases covered, sort of. Exploration with the DUR, smallscale skirmishes with the Cutlass (&Aurora LX+LN while the Cutlass is on cooldown), racing with the 350R, and being a juicy target with the Starfarer.

Still, feels really bad to fail a self-imposed spending ban. :-/
Blame the wallet. It was his fault anyway.

How do I upgrade my hangar? Seeing the deluxe one was crazy and I think I would like a business one.

I am actually not sure how to do this. I am pretty sure it is possible though.

I was too late for LTI too. It's not really a big deal though. You get insurance for your ship when you purchase a game package and you can simply extend it by paying a small ingame fee. Similar to a car insurance. The early backers simply don't have to pay these small fees for the ship hull insurance.

Not a big deal. LTI only applies to a ship's hull and not any modifications or cargo onboard. Everyone will have to pay insurance fees for their ships. Early backers just pay a bit less. It will not be any sort of significant advantage.

Awesome, good to hear that it isn't that big a deal. I'm thinking of going with the 315P or the 325A. Love the look of the ship just can't decide between exploration or fighting.

How do I refill my Hornet's minigun ammo? They seem to have run dry and I can't see how you refill them. I tried restarting the client, but it did nothing.

masterkajo

How do I refill my Hornet's minigun ammo? They seem to have run dry and I can't see how you refill them. I tried restarting the client, but it did nothing.

I have read that problem somewhere on the RSI forums before. It is a known bug. Apparently you have to delete your USER folder (better just to make a backup of it though, just in case). The game will then recreate it when you launch it and the ammo will be refilled.

epmode

So what is up with the Hornet's weapon systems? The idea is to keep your target centered in your crosshairs and the weapons will automatically focus on your target's projected path? That's... really uncomfortable when you're used to basically every space sim ever.

Freespace, Wing Commander and TIE Fighter all require you to manually lead your target. Firing while your prey is in the center of your crosshairs would be an almost certain miss in those games.

I don't like it. No sir.

Lumicide

Banned
Not being able to go inside is seriously disappointing. Maybe they'll still get a patch for that out, the interiors are a big part of the competition.
Probably can export/open them if someone has the subscription version of CryEngine, 3.5.7 sure as hell didn't work.

Lumicide

Banned
So what is up with the Hornet's weapon systems? The idea is to keep your target centered in your crosshairs and the weapons will automatically focus on your target's projected path? That's... really uncomfortable when you're used to basically every space sim ever.

Freespace, Wing Commander and TIE Fighter all require you to manually lead your target. Firing while your prey is in the center of your crosshairs would be an almost certain miss in those games.

I don't like it. No sir.
Every ship is like that currently. That's a problem with using the joystick/gamepad, where you have to point the nose of the vehicle directly at the target for the gimbal to activate, mouse users can just aim the gimbal while they're otherwise not perfectly lined up. In the current state, even though they're gimbaled, it really shouldn't be that you focus directly at the target, it should still focus from a lead.

There are supposed to be fixed weapons in the game, with the proper UI elements to go along with it.

I posted a thing on this on the forums: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/2701130/#Comment_2701130

Did I really not just put this in an edit -.-? woops.

Mindlog

Guys, how is the best way to go about gifting this to someone?
Buy the stuff you need like a starter package and the access pass.
From your RSI account you can gift it to any e-mail address. The recipient will be prompted to fill out the details to claim their items . It's really easy. I've gifted dozens and dozens of times.

I don't like it. No sir.
Even I-War.
That type of control is more traditionally reserved for capital ships and the like.

epmode

Every ship is like that currently. That's a problem with using the joystick/gamepad, where you have to point the nose of the vehicle directly at the target for the gimbal to activate, mouse users can just aim the gimbal while they're otherwise not perfectly lined up. In the current state, even though they're gimbaled, it really shouldn't be that you focus directly at the target, it should still focus from a lead.

There are supposed to be fixed weapons in the game, with the proper UI elements to go along with it.

I posted a thing on this on the forums: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/2701130/#Comment_2701130

Did I really not just put this in an edit -.-? woops.

I feel like I'm going crazy. Practically none of the space sims I've played have this gimbaled weapon garbage going on. The key to getting kills has always been figuring out exactly how far ahead you should be leading your (slow-moving) shots.

That's definitely how it was in Freespace which was basically the last great space sim.

Have I missed something? I don't like giving so much control to an autotargeting system. I feel like an aimbot. And it doesn't seem to be possible to account for someone turning or decelerating or whatever. The targeting computer takes over and aims where they would have been had they kept going straight.

Lumicide

Banned
I feel like I'm going crazy. Practically none of the space sims I've played have this gimbaled weapon garbage going on. The key to getting kills has always been figuring out exactly how far ahead you should be leading your (slow-moving) shots.

That's definitely how it was in Freespace which was basically the last great space sim.

Have I missed something? I don't like giving so much control to an autotargeting system. I feel like an aimbot. And it doesn't seem to be possible to account for someone turning or decelerating or whatever. The targeting computer takes over and aims where they would have been had they kept going straight.
Elite: Dangerous has them too, maybe it's like regenerating health to space sims? I don't know why they didn't bother putting any fixed weapons in the game yet, seems much more basic than the gimbaled ones.

Also, it isn't possible for it to account for any changes, they just dumbly fire where they should have for the last shot.

There are a lot of things off about the game atm, and I doubt gimbaled weapons will go away. :/

metalshade

Those Freelancers make me look at my Cutlass with a questioning eye....maybe I could melt you down....but I wont, I really think the Cutlass has more character, plus I get the awesome asteroid hanger when its ready.

Dead Man

Those new lancers look good, still just not pretty enough for me to spend real money on buying a whole extra ship. I already have way too many, lol. If they had a chassis upgrade my 325 might be in danger though.

Just had a look at the ship specs page for the first time in ages, the cargo allowances seem all off. Some things have way too much, some not enough. Seems really non unified in terms of who much of a ship needs to be for structure and engines at the moment.

Those Freelancers make me look at my Cutlass with a questioning eye....maybe I could melt you down....but I wont, I really think the Cutlass has more character, plus I get the awesome asteroid hanger when its ready.

I wish I had bought a lti cutlass, the early concept art I hated so much I couldn't do it, the newer art looks like it has fixed most of my gripes.

"I feel like I'm going crazy. Practically none of the space sims I've played have this gimbaled weapon garbage going on. The key to getting kills has always been figuring out exactly how far ahead you should be leading your (slow-moving) shots. "

As mentioned, Elite is doing it and Eve Valkyrie looks like it's doing it, too.

And I can't fucking stand it. It's actually better/worse in Elite because a lot of the weapons are hitscan, so they don't miss at all. In Star Citizen, most are (fairly slow) projectiles so the autoaiming makes your weapons miss more than if you were simply leading your target manually.

Both awful in two different ways.

Let me aim my fucking guns, devs. I can hit a target on my own, okay?

MrBig

Can't you just not target a ship and thus not have the auto gimbal? Before I realized locking was a thing I was doing that.

"Can't you just not target a ship and thus not have the auto gimbal? Before I realized locking was a thing I was doing that."

Yes, and that's what I do. I shouldn't have to resort to that so that the game doesn't try to play for me.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Yeah, the gimbaled guns are a surprisingly casual mechanic from a developer that says it wants to make a hardcore space sim.

I've been using the autotargeting but I feel like I may as well be mindlessly playing Townville on Facebook or something. When I first got into a Vanduul Swarm game, before I realized the guns were doing the autotargeting thing, I'd been manually leading my targets. I think I might go back to that ... it was more fun. It would be nice to have an ITTS crosshair, though.

epmode

What on earth convinced the developers of the first decent space sims in a decade to all go with autotargeting? That's what missiles are for! And so many people in that RSI thread support the decision! I mean, I know it's a croberts love fest down there but even his games were all about manually leading targets. (I haven't played Freelancer/Starlancer)

Save us, Enemy Starfighter.

metalshade

Man, I dunno why everyone is complaining about how to shoot each other?
I thought this game was to collect all the pretties! I don't even need guns!

Honestly though, although not being a space sim veteran, I do wonder why gimballed guns are in these games, whatever happened to just plain old leading your target, or even a lead indicator to aim for?

( I have Freespace 2 and Diaspora sitting on my hdd right now....I REALLY need to play them through properly.)

XEROWUN

Neo Member
goddamn.. that redeemer by 4horseman.... fuck my opinions on the engines, that fuselage is pure zeroG space sex.

I get why people are upset about auto-leading, and they should allow you to turn it off and still use targeting, but I mean wouldn't it be a bit weird for a spaceship not have an auto-leading system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom