• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loving it so far!

bbc85ccf1a.gif

masterkajo

He should be passionate :] He set out to make something and was funded beyond his wildest dreams by fans.

Speaking of funding...

This reminds me, I better get going and pick up a "UEE Environment Coat" (only available until next monday). You know, for when I aim to misbehave.

This reminds me, I better get going and pick up a "UEE Environment Coat" (only available until next monday). You know, for when I aim to misbehave.

One thing to bear in mind - I read a CIG post saying that we'll be able to get the coat in-game for credits as well, so you don't necessarily need to spend real money on it.

masterkajo

One thing to bear in mind - I read a CIG post saying that we'll be able to get the coat in-game for credits as well, so you don't necessarily need to spend real money on it.

I know :p

You can get everyhing in-game. There will be no exclusive stuff you can only buy with real money. But the coat goes so well with my Cutlass. I get the biggest Firefly vibe and I don't mind supporting the game a little more.
I probably won't buy it anyway. It took me ages to buy a Cutlass and only after I won some store credit for their website.

The aurora LN is the badass version of it, more guns better engine and all that. It costs just a little bit more. You can always upgrade later if you want too.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/318-aurora-ln

Upgrade: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/306-rsi-aurora-ln-upgrade

Edit: In fact it's only five more dollers.

This is the one I have, it's looks so cool with the upgraded engine and leather seat, wish I could fly it around in AC instead of this lame vanilla Aurora loaner.

metalshade

Oh, yeah, gotta get that, Me, my Merc outfit, my misbehavin coat, and my Cutlass! Browncoats will rise again!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Did they actually open the multiplayer to the 250 first player when AC was released ( or by now ) ?

I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Chris Roberts said at E3 yesterday that multiplayer will open up this week to hundreds of players, then open up to thousands of players next week.

[edit] New patch today. From the release notes:

PLEASE NOTE: You must now press tab to show the cursor when the Arena Commander menu is open in the cockpit.

New Features/Fixes
Vanduul no longer show as committing suicide when defeating them with missiles
Added “Invert Flight Mouse” and “Invert Flight Controller” options to game settings screen
Helmet animation plays when putting on the helmet now
Ejection now counts towards player death
Added an expanded X52 mapping
Lighting fixes for AMD machines
Improved Aurora mount/dismount/idle animation
Increased fuel tank capacity to allow for longer afterburner use
Improved Thruster Animations
Improved Holoship destruction
Player is now able to access the scoreboard whilst waiting on respawn
Improvements on overlapping ship audio SFX
Fixed crashes when match round ends
300i seat animations now added and improved
Entering 300i and Aurora with your helmet now displays the HUD on the helmet
Removed debug text from X55 HOTAS in key binding menu

elyetis

Eh? The 300i has pretty much completely un-obscured cockpit visibility...
In a way yes, but there is so little space between the aiming reticle and the obscured part, that it doesn't feel like it at all when dogfighting.( the ****** dead zone doesn't help either )
I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Chris Roberts said at E3 yesterday that multiplayer will open up this week to hundreds of players, then open up to thousands of players next week.
Ok, thank you. I'm not That much in an hurry to try it before they put some more work into the flight controls ( give me vertical and lateral control without toggle please ), but I still want to see what comes up from the multiplayer.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I have a suggestion for them: put money into dynamic emotional reactions on the NPCs, based on their situations/actions like in Mario Kart 8. They already have the combat replay planned.

Comandr

It's hard to describe how excited I am for this game. It's also hard to describe how little I'm looking forward to spending the money on building a completely new PC and getting an oculus rift.

MrBig

Why they just don't use it to make more worlds? Hundreds of different planets and stuff?

They've still got a ton of stuff to do and a long time until it all coalesces, any large scale content like that they promise now probably wont be delivered on for another 2-5+ years. I think the best course of action is to let the game grow naturally, see what actually needs and at what point/degree.

All the progress updates and all the interaction/content are a nice way for their public facing people to spend their time, not promising things that will come a multitude of years down the line when what they're working on now is what's really important and what will make those things down the line actually important.

Daedardus

Yeah, putting more stuff on the heap won't help with delivering the game,it's already complicated as it is now. But I do want to keep seeing stretch goals though, but rather as small rewards like a 50 million trophy or a hull skin or whatever. No stretch goals seems bland :-(.

For some reason the game loves chrashing on launching as of late for me. Weird how that suddenly happens quite often.
Has this been posted yet? Found it rather interesting to look at. This was found in the new patch's files.
Indeed! Appears to be a mock-up loading screen: Different pilots, their ships, their load outs, the map, etc...

phoenixyz

Since the patch I have strange slowdowns/FPS problems. It happens in one moment, then it's fine again for a few seconds, then comes back. Anyone else here affected by this?

red731

When the textures are loading in, I get blury light sources over and some textures are blurring too - that goes away, once the hangar is loaded.

Textures were flickering on some of the asteroids too and the same as hangar was when loading the textures when you get into ship in space, ready to dogfight.

I dont know what it is, but I am enjoying the game more after this patch....hmmm

Also looking around ship while different camera is selected is glorious - I was just flying, after like fifth wave, without my engine and weapons, through space, waiting to get killed. Such a beautiful moment... That scenery.

Daedardus

Wait, now we're getting subscriber items every month instead of every two months? Can't complain though, the model looks nice.

MrBig

So uuuuh.. Will Star Citizen actually be like this? I mean seeing a planet > entering it's atmosphere and exploring. And that all without loading?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEln23kDJxw

That's not SC, but yes SC will utilize streaming tech to eliminate loading screens. At least in its initial release there won't be free form interaction with planets, as they're sticking with hand crafted cities/settlements/areas rather than fully generating the hundred or so planets that will be in the first wave. For settled planets you will be forced into a computer guided (on rails) landing sequence, but will still be free to walk about ship and such while it's landing.

They're researching procedural tech to make this feasible at some point down the line, though.

Is there a way to lock a gimballed gun to a certain position? I did it accidentally the first time I flew, but I can't seem to figure it out now. Basically I entered free-look mode or something (or maybe not), and then I managed to pin the gun in a certain direction (toward a planet). So as a I turned the hornet the turret remained focused on a certain point in space and follow it no matter what. So I was firing up, sideways, forward, etc as I turned around. I figure this would be great to use against another fighter, obviously, unless I just glitched it somehow!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Chris Roberts wrote a big article addressing the biggest concerns people have had with the dogfighting module so far. In it, he says that fixed weapons are coming and just weren't ready yet, and gimbaled weapon targeting may change to using the reticle. Teknopathetic (and many of the rest of us) rejoice!

Chris Roberts said:
In Arena Commander V1.0 (and Star Citizen as a whole) there will be both fixed weapons and gimbaled/turreted weapons. The fixed weapons will have a slow auto convergence of perhaps -/+ five degrees to allow them to focus at a point that is user definable (defaults to half maximum range) or will adjust to the distance of the current target. We didn’t have time to finish this feature so for v0.8 we just made all fixed weapons gimbaled in order to not give the Hornet a huge advantage over the Aurora and 300i. This is not the long term plan.

Fixed weapons will have a lead indicator (just like in a real combat aircraft). We are also considering altering how the gimbaled guns look reticle operates. Right now you just have to place it over your target and the targeting computer gimbals the guns to achieve that firing solution, when the dotted lines collapse inside the reticle it means that all guns have achieved the solution. We are thinking about making it so you have to place the look reticle over the lead indicator in order to achieve the firing solution.

Oh, and this is worthy of inclusion in all future Star Citizen OPs:

Hornetflyheader.png

This one, too!

300iflyheader.png

My biggest complaint at the moment is that the targeting thing that surrounds enemy ships stays the same size no matter their distance. This makes it visually very hard to determine how far away they are. Yes there are numbers beside them, but at a quick glance you should be able to tell if they are close or far. Right now everything feels very slow (like 50mph instead of 500), and so I'll think I'm far away and all of the sudden the ship is bigger than the reticule.

So I hope they make it scale...and also make it smaller overall! Just have a thin circle or square, I don't need fancy brackets and animations that are just distracting and take away valuable screen space.

Chris Roberts wrote a big article addressing the biggest concerns people have had with the dogfighting module so far. In it, he says that fixed weapons are coming and just weren't ready yet, and gimbaled weapon targeting may change to using the reticle. Teknopathetic (and many of the rest of us) rejoice!

Oh, and this is worthy of inclusion in all future Star Citizen OPs:

Hornetflyheader.png

This one, too!

300iflyheader.png

Yeah the write up was fantastic and really in depth. Hope this calms the fears of "arcade commander" complaints given the fact that the system in the game, over time with proper HUD, control, and customization system coming online, will make the game unparalleled.

Also, their engineer incharge of the flight model did a hell of a job.

I recommend everyone watch the latest 10 for the Chairman also.

Gothos

http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/16/w...-and-the-new-way-to-fund-aaa-games-interview/

GamesBeat: Which elements of the game are going to finish first? What targets are you looking at right now?

Roberts: It’s hard to say. This year we’re going to show the first-person combat. We have a couple of big iterations on the Arena Commander, with things like multi-crew ships and some other functionality. Next year we’re going to be showing the planetside stuff. We’re starting Squadron 42, the first set of episodes there. Then we’ll have the persistent universe. We’ll start with a smaller elements, like one system, and then we’ll add more systems and keep on adding until the content’s complete.

The backers should be able to fly around in a small version of a persistent universe toward the end of next year. By the end of next year, the beginning of the following year, everything will be feature and content complete. All along the way, though, they’ll be playing. They can play this, go head to head against other people. That’s kind of the content curve.

I guess the fully playable game is coming around mid 2016... Ugh...

Munin

I like the SC physics model over Elite's one in theory but there is something weirdly off putting about seeing ships move around in SC, it's like they are being moved around by an invisible hand or something and not by their own engines or whatever. Like it's really wooden. Maybe some effects or animation is missing that I can't quite put my finger on but it's kind of uncanny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom